Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

EnVee thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
You know this update reads like the pleasantness of the mundane. Like you do things that are routine just to stop your mind from racing and worrying. DII always brings the old world charm for me. Like it is the home that is accessible to all.
Nisha0604 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: EnVee

You know this update reads like the pleasantness of the mundane. Like you do things that are routine just to stop your mind from racing and worrying. DII always brings the old world charm for me. Like it is the home that is accessible to all.

Parents' home has a certain energy to  it right? Things are exactly the same year after year, my Amma's surf dabba has the same spoon from 20? 30? years ago I think,(it came free with Ariel or Surf I think😆) its coated with dry soap, there is certain way u have to turn the balcony faucet for it to open, u have to lean ur left knee on Amma Appa's Godrej, otherwise it wont close fully😳

Believe it or not, for YEARS after moving to this country whenever I would "close" the wodden closet I would raise and anchor the left door with my knee😭
Edited by Nisha0604 - 8 years ago
moonwearer thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3
The different things that worry Akka , II and the Dude deftly portrayed. The anxious dude is so protective of his Iyer wife and wants to do his bit to ensure she and the others are well cared for...the washing is going to get help to DII and Appa will throw a fit.
The conversations when they are apart with each trying to provoke the envious streak in the other is so adorable. Lovely update Nisha...
EnVee thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Nisha0604

Parents' home has a certain energy to  it right? Things are exactly the same year after year, my Amma's surf dabba has the same spoon from 20? 30? years ago I think,(it came free with Ariel or Surf I think😆) its coated with dry soap, there is certain way u have to turn the balcony faucet for it to open, u have to lean ur left knee on Amma Appa's Godrej, otherwise it wont close fully😳

Believe it or not, for YEARS after moving to this country whenever I would "close" the wodden closet I would raise and anchor the left door with my knee😭

Oh yes. We too have some things like that. Stuck door knobs, doors that close only in a certain way, old chairs, boxes... yup parents place is like comfort food, even though the house looks like a typhoon ripped through it. You still love it the best.

shidin0117 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Feeling connected to the update...I mean when  someone is in the hospital we try to help the parents...cook lunch clean and tidy up the house. ...all the familiar things that we have left behind but will never forget ...we so easily get into the way life it is in our maayka 

Nisha0604 thumbnail
Originally posted by: moonwearer

The different things that worry Akka , II and the Dude deftly portrayed. The anxious dude is so protective of his Iyer wife and wants to do his bit to ensure she and the others are well cared for...the washing is going to get help to DII and Appa will throw a fit.

The conversations when they are apart with each trying to provoke the envious streak in the other is so adorable. Lovely update Nisha...

Its the daily chakki no?

Akka and Athim make good money but the Munirka apartment is  a white elephant, and the in laws are there always, she cannot spend lavishly, like multinational people do, DU doesnt give stock options or bonuses or yearly overseas vacations are not possible

some things are only possible with a mid level multinational job

Bank & DU are STEADY but dont have much room for income "upsides"

II on the other hand doesnt even have to think about money, R&B would gladly pay all her bills, he would transfer crores into her bank account if she just as much as batted an eyelid in affirmation

But she wont take a dime

Nisha0604 thumbnail
Just like parents of daughters would save once upon a time, parents of sons save 25-50 lakhs for college tuition

Either to pay capitation fee, or send them to Singapore or Australia, if you are really wealthy, then the USA

A Desi  friend sent her son to Georgia Tech in Fall, he is best friends with my 16 year old, he said the campus looks like Hyderabad, there are apparently HUNDREDS from Andhra

Out of State tuition/room/board/books etc is THIRTY GRAND? 40?

With air fare, its probably 43?

Thats like Rs.24 lakhs PER YEAR for a US under grad, ONE CRORE for a Bachelors?

Edited by Nisha0604 - 8 years ago
taramira thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
 And it is social sciences  and Tide for us here. The same old household chores, PTA meetings, checking grades  on parent connect - the only difference is the setting. The bhallas perhaps never had to do this stuff so it seems so alien to him, but I a, sure he finds it charming and a its another thing that tethers him to her. 
Btw my husbands cousin was visiting us over the weekend from Delhi and his children are in modern school barakhamba road. He got so frustrated with the he rich and spoilt lifestyle of the children there that he has now decided to actually enroll his son at a more middle class school. The daughter is too entrenched in the system and doesn't want to move but he was saying it is terribly worrying the influences that children are exposed to at these high flying schools. He said keeping up with the Jones is getting Extremely difficult by the day. Wonder how II and Rb will keep their kids grounded. 

putti77 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Nisha
The way you described home, many memories wandered in mind...
Typical midlle class home.. The godrej always brings smile on my face... The down two drawers in the godrej are owned by me... One contains my certifications, marks cards etc... The other one filled with handicrafts I made in school, greeting cards from friends on birthday, new year, friendship day and friendship bands, albums... Still my mom kept these things safely.. Everytime I visit clean and rearrange them...

The Dude is worried about wifey's food and health... 😊

How is Periyappa 😭
Nisha0604 thumbnail
Originally posted by: taramira

And it is social sciences  and Tide for us here. The same old household chores, PTA meetings, checking grades  on parent connect - the only difference is the setting. The bhallas perhaps never had to do this stuff so it seems so alien to him, but I a, sure he finds it charming and a its another thing that tethers him to her. 
Btw my husbands cousin was visiting us over the weekend from Delhi and his children are in modern school barakhamba road. He got so frustrated with the he rich and spoilt lifestyle of the children there that he has now decided to actually enroll his son at a more middle class school. The daughter is too entrenched in the system and doesn't want to move but he was saying it is terribly worrying the influences that children are exposed to at these high flying schools. He said keeping up with the Jones is getting Extremely difficult by the day. Wonder how II and Rb will keep their kids grounded. 

Shru

Its impossible, to put it bluntly... since its just a fiction (some days I think about it so much it feels REAL😭) I can use some creative liberty to ensure their kids turn out "OK" But there is 90% probability that Modern, Goenka, and other posh school kids in NCR have tried, sex, drugs and alcohol by the time they turn 12 or 13😭

25 to 30 years ago Modern school kids would be standing outside the school's low compound wall, smoking, or walking with almost half naked girls smoking, all over Janpath
Yes, I am sorry if it offends any Modernites, but some 14-15 years could have covered up😡

I bet they are way past "walking hand in hand"

They must be giving a lot of binness to the posh Jor Bagh and Aurangazeb Rd clinics