| Depression: The Dark Dimension of Life |

thegameison thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 8 years ago

"Because wherever I sat - on the deck of a ship or at a street caef in Paris or Bangkok - I would be sitting under the same glass jar, stewing in my own sour air."

- Sylvia Plath, the Jar 

Mental health and physical health are not only intertwined but are also equally important. Here it will do us well to note that mental health has hitherto not received the recognition that is essential to provide it for every last individual's well being. Thus, it will be safe to assume that in several cultures many people face mental health issues and that more often than not, they are dismissed as excuses or nonsense or nonsensical excuses to avoid doing what they need to overcome a challenge.

We do know that everyone has a challenging life in ways specific to them. But it is one thing to overcome a challenge and another altogether to try and conceal that something just as specific is happening to someone else. 

One such thing is depression.

In pop culture, the breakup of a one week long relationship and betrayal at the hands of a friend you didn't really know is called depression. 

'Man, I am so depressed' can be a response to anything from an actor dying to being alone on Valentine's Day to getting a B on one's Math test.

Let us be very clear that, even though depression is only a mood at the beginning, the aforementioned type of depression is not being discussed here.

The following is with what we, at CC, decided to reach out to you.

Someone who is always irritated with everything, lashes out at people for no good reason, demands to be left alone and is often spotted with blotchy eyelids and cheeks is in a depressive mood state. It is important to note that such a person wasn't always like this. In fact, their sudden lack of interest in things they formerly enjoyed doing, leaves peers and family perplexed. Extreme unhappiness, blocked desires and a resultant feeling of being unfulfilled are manifested by such people and such people are not hard to find.

The extent to which they are depressed varies. It varies so greatly that someone may have a spell of depression for a month or two and someone else may be diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder if given professional help.

The thing about depression is that it is real. It is one person at war with themselves. Biological, genetic and social approaches to mental disorders all state that some people are more likely to develop a psychological problem than others. 

It is similar to someone being at risk of heart disease if someone in their family died of it. 

It is a problem; one that can be managed. And to manage it, we must understand it first.

We have put together a mini-guide to identify the signs of minor depression, which is essentially the first step in understanding it:

Irrespective of their former nature, they are always distracted and gloomy now.
         They don't want to hang out or stay up late in the night.

A loss of appetite is observed.
         They hardly ever talk now.

Crying a lot has become a normal thing.
         They act like they want isolation but also like they want attention.

Saying they're being overly dramatic won't help them but it sure will take them further down into depression. At the end of the day, the idea is to pay attention and listen, and to give their situation rightful credibility.

Listen to them, that always helps.  

credits:

Angel-Jot. - 18shabbo
xbeyondwordsx - thegameison
CrazyInfinities - flirtatious.
Edited by thegameison - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

unitatoxo. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

"At the root of this dilemma is the way we view mental health in this country. Whether an illness affects your heart, your leg or your brain, it's still an illness, and there should be no distinction."

-        Michelle Obama

From the last few years, the talk about mental illness and disorders has been all over the media. Does it mean it is easy for a person with depression to talk about it to people? 

No.

The acceptance for this mental illness has still not been seen, 
the stigma
 still prevails.

Every 1 in 4 people suffers from  a mental illness. Depression is not considered a proper disorder even then. People with this illness are usually considered weak and are asked to "snap out of it" while the truth is that depression is a serious illness that results from biochemical, environmental, and genetic factors, just like most other health problems.

"Depression and anxiety are common, so common they are kind of normal,"said Carolyn Lanfredi, a school psychologist at Byram Hills High School, North Castle, New York.

With the growing levels of pressure and competition, the percentage of depressed children in school is also increasing. One in every three adolescents is either suffering from depression or anxiety.

Many people with depression feel uncomfortable asking for help because of concerns about how friends, family, etc. will react.  This discomfort in asking for help is the primary harm of stigma because it is a major barrier to people receiving treatment and this is why, only 58% of the people receive a proper treatment for this illness.

15% of the people who are clinically depressed commit suicide and others try to live with it or "snap out of it" while they could have been just treated properly and maybe, they would also be living happily today, like you and we all.

Only if the stigma did not exist.

Therefore, the removal of this stigma is the need of the hour.

It is time to move away from denial, fear and ignorance.It is important to be open to medications and therapies for this mental illness. They are the only way this disease can be cured. 

Depression is as harmful as any other physical disease and it is important to understand that to remove this stigma, along with awarenessa culture of acceptance and understanding is necessary. 
To consider their illness an illness would be a good start.

Edited by CrazyInfinities - 8 years ago
flirtatious. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

To truly present the idea of depression and perhaps more importantly its global effect, the CCs each provided their input on the issue and how it has affected them and their families.

While everyone's experience is different with respect to depression it's wrong to consider it to be an issue affecting only those that are the victims. Depression is an illness affecting all parties involved, something portrayed through this survey. We received over twenty very candid responses. Here just a few have been quoted to present to you, what it is really like to be depressed. 

How do you define depression?

Depression according to me a state of discomfort and loss of interest in living your life because of various reasons, both familial and peer-based. A person in depression doesn't enjoy anything in his life and finds something to be sad about in every situation

-Temptations

A mental illness that makes it difficult for one to go about their daily routine. It forces feelings of heightened helplessness and a severe form of sadness. 

-Angel-Jot. 

Do you know anybody who has had it?

Yes. Depression is a common mental disease. Anyone can be affected by it. 

-MISANTHROPIST

Yes, many, including some close relatives and friends.

-Sexylicious

Yes, a classmate. She used to cut herself.

-LittleDhampir.  

How would you react to someone who has suffered 

or is suffering from depression?

One should deal mentally depressed persons with patience which is much needed, they can get furious any time if their opinions get clashed/ or they are not welcomed; so give them love and care and yeah they too can become normal as us.

-BabbaR_SheR

Lots of motivation and encouragement helps a lot. More than talking to the other person who's suffering through depression, it's more important to listen to them and understand their through process. I suck at advising but personally, I'd be willing to listen to them anytime. It's what they want and need. And of course, if the depression is in severe condition, get them professional help. 

-xbeyondwordsx

One must first understand their (Who has depression) situation. Treating them with love and giving them a trust that they are not alone in the depression. Close relatives and maybe friends can make them feel good.

-Edna_Philip

To be completely honest I really wouldn't know how to react to them, because I believe it differs from person to person. So the least I can do is listen to them. Listen to whatever they have to say.

-somergasm 

Do you think you are/were ever depressed?

Yes, I was recently. Thankfully, I'm battling up with hope to get over this state completely. Half the battle has been won. 

-shayranahui

Yes, twice. But I had help every time. People who showed concern and meant it and who supported me even though I never completely stopped being a nutter. 

-thegameison

Yup. Before I had a lot depression issues but as time flew by it got better. Of course wasn't possible without the support of my family and friends butI still do get depressed, not that much but once in a while I'll just randomly slip into that zone.

- -CrazySobtian-

What were the behavioral changes you experienced during depression, if applicable? 

I used to get angry very easily at that point of time, and tended to over react to everything. It was as if I forgot how to love and how to feel secure and confident! But it was love of my friends an parents that helped me come out.

-Yagyaseni

I wouldn't be bothered to do anything, went to bed as early as seven, contemplated very negative thoughts and felt angry at people for no good reason, wanted to be left alone but also to be noticed. 

-thegameison

Negative thought comes frequently, feeling restlessness.

-debsree04

I found myself very much detached from my surroundings and from the people around me. It was as if I were trapped in a small concealed cell and there was nothing except darkness and gloom. There was always this gripping feeling set in my heart that just didn't seem to go away. But thankfully my husband, my rock, supported me and pulled me away from spine chilling gap of sadness.

-Sexylicious

I was just snappy, and very emotional. I didn't like speaking to people and wanted little to do with the outside world. It lasted about 3 months or so which is why I believe it was just a temporary state. It was never severe. Much of it was thanks to my genes from my mother's side is what the psychologist had to say.  

- Angel-Jot.

Do you think depression can be cured?

Definitely. It can be cured both by personal efforts and professional guidance.

-Temptations 

I think so...at first we need to know the reason of depression & try to divert our mind from that point. Most importantly, we should not try to forget that reason rather try to accept it & keep it aside & live the life. I know that its not easy but we can try to do it. Of course, we can do it in preliminary stage. [I have personally experienced it when my father passed away] 
Another thing we can do that we try to do/make/create something which we love to do. Like when I feel depressed now, I start making creations & it relaxes my mind.

-debasree04

To be honest, it is quite hard to get out of depression. It took me around 3.5-4 years to get out of it but time heals every wounds. Obviously, my family and friends have been really supportive but it's a matter of time and of course professional help is required as well. It takes a long time but it is curable. 

- -CrazySobtian-

Edited by flirtatious. - 8 years ago
xbeyondwordsx thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Pushing up! 
Great job, team <3 
ttrocks thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Such a nice initiative to raise awareness about this serious mood disorder that millions of people across the globe are living with these days...

As Ludwig Borne has put it - "Only the suppressed word is dangerous" The people suffering depression must be heard and given a chance to speak their negative feelings out. If not treated well & on time, then the pent up load might explode someday hurting not only the sufferer but costing many innocent lives too... Ink hasnt yet dried about the news ofOscar-winner Actor Robin Williams putting an end to his life out of depression and Germanwings Pilot Andreas Lubitz, who suffering with the same disease, deliberately crashed the plane into the French Alps, massacring 150 lives instantly...

Nice post & tags CCs! 👏
taahir004 thumbnail
A Phenomenal Post Indeed 
dinazz thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Jimmy Jab Games Season 2 0 Thumbnail + 2
This is a real good thread made by the team for spreading awareness about depression.. 👏
A whole lot of people in the world suffer depression which most of the times go unnoticed or as it was written , people think the affected ones are acting too dramatic...

All they need is to be understood and loved and the most important one according to me is the need to be Heard .. when a person is heard unbiasedly and without being judged can really to some extent lead a person out of depression, as the person knows that he/she has someone to support them and listen to them.. 
Cutiepie_Rani thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Wow! Def a much needed thread. Awesome work CCs. I almost went to this phase. I just hope and pray that whoever is suffering, they seek help. There is nothing wrong in that.
annihilation thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Edited :
I applaud the CC team for taking up an issue that's has a deep rooted stigma to it, goes unnoticed and is awfully neglected. You guys sharing your own two cents about your own story has to be the best because it shows you just haven't researched on the issue and put up the thread but have experienced a share of it and that makes you one of those who have been through it or are still going through it and thus more relatable, more closer to them. It takes great courage for to come out and speak about it, pat on your backs guys.  

Mental health is not given enough importance when compared to physical health. Actually, its not given importance at all, if you look at the issue closely. When you feel even slightly unwell physically, be it the common fever or cold, body aches, minor injuries or anything as such, people run to the doctors at the earliest. But if you feel unwell mentally, what's that? You're called mad, you're asked to snap out it, you're told everything's going to be okay or you're going to be told how its just nothing. Its high time everyone wakes up to this and stopping viewing the mind and body as separate entities. How many times have science or even religions taught us that to be healthy, you're to take care of both your mind and body? Innumerable times. And yet we have this deep rooted mindset of the society to be considered insane if there's something going on up in our heads. 

The most difficult part according to me is the diagnosis of depression. Even for people who are suffering from depression, it takes a great deal of time to recognise it as 'depression'. Because of the way we're raised, because of the society we live in, because of the normality rules we're bound to abide by, people tend to dismiss depression as just another thing that they'll overcome sooner or later. And when people have figured it out, it practically makes no difference because of the lack of understanding, support and help. Thus, they go about their lives suffering mostly in silence because they're so convinced there's no help out there. Depression is to be taken seriously, just as serious as one takes any other life-threatening disease as it has the potential to ruin a person off everything and in severe cases of it, even lead to suicide. 
Edited by .annihilation. - 8 years ago
bahi. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
What an amazing thread. Nice work guys🤗.
This is an important subject to give members awareness of.