Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

aries_sakshi thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Laughter Challenge champ turns filmi

Patcy N | September 28, 2005 12:51 IST

The Great Indian Laughter Challenge television show showcased the talents of many stand-up comedians, most of who are now making their way towards Bollywood.

After Raju Shrivastava bagged Ram Gopal Varma's Nimmi, it's the turn of Laughter Challenge winner Sunil Pal to clinch films. Pal has already signed three films, and is in negotiations for more.

When this correspondent spoke to Pal, he was sitting in Subhash Ghai's office, signing his first contract with Mukta Arts.

"Now, I have got recognition in the film industry," he says. "The masses have also started liking me. They know me by my name now. People have started calling me, saying they want to work with me. Even the media is constantly calling me. This is like a dream!"

Meet the funniest men on telly!

When pressed for the Ghai film's details, he says, "The film is still untitled. But it is a comedy, and will be directed Sangeeth Sivan (Kya Kool Hai Hum). The film also stars Aftab Shivdasani, Suniel Shetty, Jackie Shroff, Riteish Deshmukh and Rajpal Yadav. Yadav and me have a parallel track in the film. We play bhais [gangsters]."

Pal has also signed 'meaningful roles' in Sunil Tiwari's Short Circuit with Arshad Warsi and an Anil Sharma film called Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron (not to be confused with Kundan Shah's classic 1983 laugh riot starring Naseeruddin Shah and Ravi Vaswani).

Pal currently features in the Great Indian Laughter Champions, a follow-up to the Challenge. "It is different as there are no judges. There are only guests on the show. They comment on us and we can also crack jokes on them. This is not a contest," he says.

Though Pal is getting a lot of television offers, he is not considering them at the moment, due to time constraints. "But I will do television because I got recognition because of this. It's like my mother. But I want to first make a place for myself in films."

Pal, who is also doing quite a few stage shows, says he is happy doing comedy shows. "I know people will forget me if I don't do anything," he says. "Indian Idol brought a lot of fame to Abhijeet Sawant. But if Abhijeet fails to establish himself, people will forget him too. Yeh glamour ki zindagi hain. Is mein aadmi jabtak dikhta hai tabtak hi bikta hai [This is the world of glamour. As long as a person is seen, he sells]."

Pal plans to make Bollywood his "full-time career" though his first love will always be stand-up comedy shows.

The comedian says he will not stick to funny gags in movies. "Personally, I'm a very serious sort of guy."

aries_sakshi thumbnail
Malaika, Saroj Khan to judge Nach Baliye
   By: Shaheen Parkar
   September 28, 2005

Malaika Arora Khan
Bollywood choreographer Saroj Khan and hottie Malaika Arora Khan join director Farhan Akhtar as judges on the Star One dance show, Nach Baliye. For Khan, it is a case of channel-crossing; she was earlier seen as a judge in the Sony show, Dance Dance, along with Vaibhavi Merchant and Terence Lewis.

Nach Baliye, which airs on Star One from October 11, will have telly couples battling for the crown of best dancing duo.

The reality-based show will also look at the stars' personal lives and dance sessions, as they prepare to be in step with each other. TV actors Shabbir Ahluwalia and Sangeeta Ghosh anchor Nach Baliye.

Dance chance

Saroj Khan
Says Malaika, "I am sure someone might just perform my Chaiyya chaiyya number, so I will be watching every step minutely. But besides the dance and the choreography, the show is also about the chemistry between the couples and their style. It's the overall impact they make."

She says she's looking forward to a great time on the show. "I will be on the other side and have my own opinions about the contestants for a change, rather than others making a comment about me," says Malaika, who terms herself a fairly good dancer. "Dancing is all about having fun."

Celeb jig

The channel describes Nach Baliye as an "anokhi jung with dus mashoor jodiyan". A choreographer is helping the couples through the paces as part of the rehearsals. Nach Baliya will air Tuesday to Thursday, at 9 pm. The first two days will provide an insight into the lives of celeb couples, how they live, who their families and friends are, and how they adapt to married life.

The Thursday episode will feature a dance performance, which will be judged by the jury and viewers. Besides dancing ability, compatibility, cooperation, popularity and coordination will also be judged.

This interactive reality show claims several firsts — the first time that celebs are competing against each other; the first time that celeb couples come together in a show and reveal their private lives.

aries_sakshi thumbnail
Couples on Nach Baliye

1. Archana Puran Singh and Parmeet Sethi
2. Apoorva Agnihotri and Shilpa Saklani
3. Amit Sadh and Neeru Bajwa
4. Rajiv and Delnaaz Paul
5. Mihir and Maninee Misra
6. Rohit Roy and Manasi Joshi Roy
7. Manish Goyal and Poonam Narula
8. Sachin and Supriya Pilgaonkar
9. Varun Badola and Rajeshwari Sachdev
10. Shakti Anand and Sai Deodhar
aries_sakshi thumbnail
Celebs rock at actor Vikram's birthday bash
Actor Vikram Acharya celebrated his birthday at Rock Bottom in Juhu on Thursday. His birthday party saw a string of guests pouring in to wish the Dil Kya Chahta Hai star.

Among the guests were Rituparna Sengupta, Sharad Kapoor, Rohit Roy, Manasi Joshi Roy, Hiten Paintal, Kishwar, Sudhanshu Pandey with his wife Mona, Mandira Bedi, Samir Soni, Gaurav Chopra, Narayani Shastri, Kamya Punjabi, Pawan Shankar, Rajiv and Delnaz Paul, Rajiv Kattar, Vandani Sanjnanai, Soniya Kapoor, Rushad Rana and Shubhvi, Amit Verma, Simple Kaur, Hiten Tejwani, Abhinav Kashyap and Saket Chowdhary
aries_sakshi thumbnail
PROFILE: Sonal Sehgal

Nitin Joshi

New Delhi, October 2: One amongst the few good shows, currently on air, is Hotel Kingston on Star One. It's not just different but, you will agree that it is also interesting. Now we hear that the weekly which is about to complete a year is all set to wind after 52 episodes. We caught up with lead actress Sonal Sehgal who plays Shelly Sahay. Sehgal has been acting only on Hotel Kingston, while she awaits the release of her debut film, You Bomzi & Me in which she plays one of the lead characters.

Is Hotel Kingston winding up?
A: I have also been hearing and reading about this. We haven't been informed officially though. The show was contracted for 52 shows and we are 48 now.

How's the experience been for you?
A: Fabulous. Simply great. We had great fun doing it. Everybody on the show is of the same age group so we play a lot of pranks on the sets. We get along very well. Our director, Sapna, keeps telling us that she feels like a kindergarten teacher as she has to control all of us!

Enjoyed playing Shelly?
A: Oh yes! It's not the typical heroine role. Shelly started out as a spoilt brat, very rude who then grows and matures into a woman. It's a real character so I'm enjoying it. She's not the sacrificing Sati Savitri who is giving in forever.

One hasn't ever seen you clad in saris and designer bindis. Has it been a deliberate effort to stay away from the saas-bahu look and regular stuff?
A: I think I've been lucky. And I can't do characters which don't appeal to me or who I can't understand or relate to. It has to be convincing or else I will goof up. Before Shelly, Sanjana in Saara Akash was a terrorist in disguise. It was a negative character but not unreal.

Excited, nervous or what about your film debut?
A: Yes, it's on 7th of October. I am excited and just hoping that people go to theatres and watch it. When they do so I'm sure they will love it. Fingers crossed.

What is the film about?
A: It's a real film about today's couples and the kind of problems they face. The film is about three couples and I play an airhostess and my husband is a video jockey. Because of our professions there is a communication gap which leads to a lot of hassles.

Think the film will work?
A: I think so. Like I said it's a real film... very today. It's an enjoyable film which looks at the funnier side of life. I am sure audiences will identify with the characters who are also real. So are the clothes, the sets, the language, the situations, the script. There are no dream sequences...

What next?
A: I don't know. Haven't really planned anything.

Now that you have a film coming up, will you continue with television?
A: I will. Of course, it will have to be something really good - and I will definitely take it on. The medium doesn't really matter, it has to be good work.
aries_sakshi thumbnail
Maninee ka kaan phat gaya
   By: Shaheen Parkar
   October 5, 2005

Maninee De with husband Mihir Misra
People usually say naak kaat ke aa gayi, but for me it was a case of kaan kaat ke aa gayi," laughs telly actress Maninee De, about her freak mishap in a Singapore hotel recently.

"It was a really bizarre happening, now that's it over I can laugh over it," says the actress, whose earlobe was torn off when she fell unconscious in the bathtub. "As the saying goes, a person is wet behind the ears — it was a literal case for me!" she exclaims.

In hot water

Maninee was in Singapore, shooting for Rakesh Roshan's film, Krrish. "I was having a leisurely hot-water soak in the tub.

Suddenly, I found the water too hot and felt uncomfortable. I got up to turn on the shower — I thought I could add cold water to the tub to make the water lukewarm. But I felt dizzy and fell flat in the tub, and the side of my face hit the stopper.

There was not too much water in there, otherwise I would have probably drowned. I felt extremely weak, but managed to scramble out. I did not even know what had happened till I reached for a towel.

When I wiped my face, it was full of blood. I looked in the mirror and realised that the upper portion of my left earlobe had torn off. It was floating in the tub, and I picked it up. I was horrified!"

BP went down

But the actress says she is quite calm, so did not hit the roof. Her husband, Mihir Misra (who features in the SaharaOne show, Hare Kkanch Ki Choodiyan) was with her in Singapore.

"I kept my cool, just hanging on to the ripped part of my ear. I realised that my blood pressure had gone down, which caused the dizzy spell.

Mihir was there and the hotel folk as well as the Krrish production team rushed to my rescue. People told me to sue the hotel, that the tub-stopper had proved to be a harmful object, but I had no time — I had to continue with the shooting of Krrish."

Playing it by ear

Maninee was taken to a doctor in Singapore, who sewed the ripped portion of her earlobe back.

"The skin is so delicate in the lobe area," she says. "But I had major language problems with him, and at the end, it became a hilarious experience at the doctor's," she recalls. "Anyway, now I am perfectly okay, and so is my ear."

As for her role in the Hrithik Roshan-Priyanka Chopra-starrer Krrish, she says, "I play the effervescent character of Honey, who is Priyanka's friend.

She is the one who orchestrates Krrish coming to Singapore to meet Priyanka. I have finished shooting my part for the film."

TV tracks

On the television front, Maninee is seen in Zee's political drama Sarrkkar, as Yana. "I entered as a blast from the past in Kunal's (Ronit Bose Roy) life.

"But now that he has been bumped off in a copter crash, and his mother Priyamvada (Divya Seth) taken political sanyas, I have the new role of a political aide to Kunal's brother, Karan (Rohit Roy).

Every character of the Sarrkkar family is on a tangent; looks like the onus is going to be on me now," laughs Maninee, who was earlier seen in The Great Indian Comedy Show (Star One) and as the dimwitted secretary Pari, in Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahin (Sony), besides doing a cameo in the youth-centric Remix (Star One).

Dance paranoia

Maninee will also be seen in the Star One dance show, Nach Baliye. "Mihir and I are dancing to the track of Chori Chori, Chupke Chupke, Hole Hole track from the film Popcorn Khao Mast Ho Jaayo," says the actress.

"It is supposedly a fun show, but everyone is getting paranoid about it. The rehearsals are taking a physical toll. Mihir suffered from a swelling in his lower vertebra. He was rolling in pain and could only lie down flat.

All this while, striking a Kama Sutra pose for the promos of Nach Baliye! Anyway, I am enjoying myself; I had a narrow escape in a bathtub, otherwise I would have been doing Nach Baliye up there in the skies!"

aries_sakshi thumbnail
Star India debuts 'mobisodes' with Star One show

By BIJOY A K
Indiantelevision.com Team

(10 October 2005 6:00 am)

MUMBAI: Star India is introducing the concept of mobile-enabled episode (mobisode) to Indian television. The company has associated with Hutch to create 'mobisodes' of the successful Star One comedy show The Great Indian Laughter Challenge (TGILC).

A 'mobisode' is a brief episode of a video programme designed to be viewed on a mobile phone. Starting 10 October, Hutch subscribers across the country will be able to download video clips of the most intriguing moments of the programme through HutchWorld on their GPRS enabled Hutch phones.

Hutch's GPRS customers will be able to download the 'mobisodes' of 20 seconds duration while Edge customers can have the luxury of watching 40-seconds 'mobisodes', according to Star India senior vice president Interactive Services Viren Popli. Hutch will be charging Rs. 10 per download. Subscribers can also call 7827 to listen to the TGILC jokes at a cost of Rs. 6.

Apart from 'mobisodes' and jokes, Star will also launch caller tunes on TGILC. Jokes figured in the show will be available to Hutch customers as caller tunes.

Speaking to indiantelevision.com about the new initiative, Star One programming head Ravi Menon stated the success of TGILC as 'mobisodes' would decide the company's future strategies on mobisodes. "Presently, we are testing the waters with TGILC. We have plans to launch 'mobisodes' of some of our successful shows and the TGILC experiment will decide our future plans," Menon said.

In a June 2005 interview with indiantelevision.com, Star India CEO Peter Mukerjea had spelt out 'mobisodes' as one key area Star India was looking to tap for growth. "At Star, we'll have to explore how this 'mobisode' theme could be exploited for revenue. Probably, we'll make one-minute mobisodes of the most popular serial of Star Plus. Definitely there is an opportunity," he had said.

aries_sakshi thumbnail
The Heat Is On

The wait is finally over since the fight to win the 'Nach Baliye Couple' title has begun.

Will the celebrity quotient get affected by the results of this show? Will the audiences be glued to the television to know more about the real-life couples? An avid watcher of television soaps, Pushpa Pandey, is excited about this unique competition.

"More than reel relationships, I have always been curious to know who the actors are married to in real life. Hence, this competition is something I've been looking forward to. Now, I can see their chemistry in action."

Actor Divya Dutta, however, has a different take. "Being celebrities themselves, the pressure to excel in this competition must be much higher than any other show. The world may cheer the winning couple, but my sympathy is with the couple who loses. We have to remember that they are not professional dancers," she opines.

Whatever be the outcome of this competition, the sheer essence of this show will linger on. Airing at 9 pm on Star One from Tuesday to Thursday, this contest is bound to bring about the best jingle amongst these tinsel couples.
aries_sakshi thumbnail
Channel [V] to explore mobisodes

BY MANISHA BHATTACHARJEE
Indiantelevision.com Team

(14 October 2005 9:00 pm)

MUMBAI: Following the footsteps of sister channel Star One, Channel [V] is planning to offer mobisodes for cellphone users.

The music channel is in the process of identifying properties which can be created for made-for-mobile programming, a service that can generate a new revenue stream for broadcasters.

< = =text/> < = src="https://www.india-forums.com/phpadsnew/adjs.php?n=388664111&what=zone:9&exclude=," =text/>

A mobisode is a brief episode of a video programme designed to be viewed on a mobile phone.

Speaking to Indiantelevision.com, Channel [V] head honcho Amar K Deb says, "Yes, we are exploring this option and are keenly looking at the mobisodes market."

Not providing any further details, Deb however admitted that a few of the channel's prized properties were being identified for converting into mobisodes. Says he, "You just keep watching your mobile phones, it will come soon."

In India, Star India has tied-up with mobile service provider Hutch to create mobisodes of the successful Star One comedy show The Great Indian Laughter Challenge (TGILC).

On the international arena, broadcasters are eyeing at this market as an important source of new revenue. Bite-sized programming from some of the television shows that can be accessed via mobile phones include VH1's Best Week Ever, Comedy Central's - The Daily Show,and Nickelodeon's - Dora the Explorer.

< = =text/> < = src="https://www.india-forums.com/phpadsnew/adjs.php?n=252224426&what=zone:10&exclude=," =text/>

Channel [V] is also looking at exploiting the wireless platform. It has taken the reality talent hunt into a new mode in the form of an interactive hunt - [v] Mobile Singer - on the wireless platform, says Deb. "We believe in creating innovative content. The wireless age is the next big thing to explore. With [v] Mobile Singer, we have entered that sphere. The concept provides an opportunity for all aspirants to practice and participate anywhere."

The participants need to dial 1905-425-7827 to register and sing any one of their favourite Bappi Lahiri's songs as part of the initial audition phase. [v] Mobile Singer is somewhat based on the concept of karaoke.

Channel [V]'s revenues jumped by 40 per cent in the last fiscal due to the success of some of the properties like [V] Super Singer, Freedom Express and [V] on the Run, says Deb. "The agenda this year is to exploit the wireless and digital platform. The reality hunt will be our biggest programming effort," he adds.

aries_sakshi thumbnail
'Sush is my icon'

Chaitanya Padukone
Wednesday, October 12, 2005  17:39 IST

Model-turned-actor Soniya Kapoor who currently plays Soniya Ray, a  Bollywood actress with a teenaged daughter in 'Remix' (Star One), is referred as the 'remix' image of Sushmita Sen.

Like Sen, Soniya is shown as a former beauty queen who is a single parent and savvy enough to handle situations. Sonia agrees, "I am a die-hard fan of Sushmita Sen.

She is my icon. It's strange that all my friends would say that I bore an uncanny resemblance to Sush. I have watched 'Biwi No 1' and 'Main Hoon Na' several times. Subconsciously I have registered Sen's style and mannerisms."

Soniya was even asked to lip-sync a song in 'Remix' from the Sushmita-starrer 'Bas Itnaa Sa Khwab Hai' with her rich beau (played by Vinay Jain) in a dream-sequence. "It was a euphoric situation for me because I was imagining I was Sush", she blushes.

Kapoor has a sizeable Spanish fan-following who watch her episodes despite them being in Hindi. "Thats because 'Remix' is the Indian adaptation of the popular Spanish serial 'Rebelsway'," she discloses. 

Soniya has deviated from her 'Sush' track and is playing the negative role of Shweta, the Biwi No 2 of Avinash (Sanjay Mitra) in 'Piya Ka Ghar' (Zee). Is there any counterpart of Randeep Hooda ( Sen's beau) in Soniya's  life ? "I am waiting for my-kind-of-guy to come close and whisper 'main hoon na' ", she signs off.