Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

aries_sakshi thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Sunil is the unchallenged king of comedy and farce
The Friday night finals of the Great Indian Laughter Challenge on Star One declared Sunil Pal as India's funniest man. Indians love comedy and what's better than getting 50 people who can activate funny bones across the country and pick the best one as the winner. Sitting in judgment were the country's ace comics – Shekhar Suman, Navjot Singh Sidhu and Johnny Lever. Excerpts from an interview with Piroj Wadia.

Excerpts:
How did you feel when you won the Great Indian Laughter Challenge?
It felt good to be called the Hassi ka Badshah. I had fun during the contest, it was also an achievement for me and I am very happy to have won. It also was a great experience being in the show and to perform in front of great showmen like Shekhar Suman and Navjot Singh Sidhu. I am overwhelmed with the number of calls I have been receiving from fans across the country.

When you entered the contest did you think you would win?
I wanted to win the contest, but never thought I would, till I reached the Super Six round. Then I worked hard towards winning it.

What was the competition like?
This show had India's best comedians and I was happy to be contesting against the best. I was happy to be even just one of the 50 contestants.

Does winning the Great Indian Laughter Challenge mean that you will now be a full time comedian?
I was doing comedy shows before I took part in the contest and will continue to do them. It hasn't changed anything, except that I have become more confident about my skills.

When did you start doing these shows?
I used to imitate people in front of my school friends and then for shows in school. My friends told me I should do it with an orchestra. I lived in a small town call Singhad, from there I went to Nagpur where I worked for three years in an orchestra. I came to Bombay in 1996 and since then I am here.
I have performed with some of the big names in Indian film industry. I went on the Lagaan tour with Aamir Khan, I toured with Sonu Nigam across USA, UK and Canada. I have also done TV shows earlier.

What is your connection with Johnny Lever?
Johnny Lever's brother Jimmy Moses was and is still my guru. He has taught me everything I know about being a comedian.

How did you meet Jimmy Moses?
When I came to Mumbai, I met Johnny Lever at his shooting. I performed for him there. He told me that I was good, and suggested that I work on my comedy with someone and introduced me to his younger brother Jimmy.

Whom do you like to mimic best ?
Irrfan Khan, Shah Rukh Khan and Johnny Lever.

Will you continue to do just shows or move to films? Have you got any offers?
I want to do television and films, but will continue to do shows. I have got some offers. At present I am doing Phir Hera Pheri with Johnny Lever.
aries_sakshi thumbnail
Profile: Vikram Acharya

'I am a typical Mumbai boy. Madly in love with the city. I don't think I can survive anywhere else for more than a day'

Nitin Joshi

Ahmedabad, September 18: Vikram Acharya is quintessential of the current breed of actors. Cool, confident and full of life. The young actor who's done shows like Hip Hip Hurray, Shagun, Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi, is currently in Star One's Dil Kya Chahta Hai in which he plays Akki, a radio jockey. He also hosts Apni Tuning Jamegi (Star One).

The hosting business isn't new to Vikram because he made his TV debut with a show called Zindagi. ''It's fun. I have done it before. In Apni Tuning, I am the sole host and I have been meeting a lot of people of late who love it. Best part is it is a Sunday show. Also, I don't use a tele-prompter. It's a good experience. We talk about the shows on Star One, talk to actors, also viewers come in on our show,'' explains Acharya, a South Indian, Kannada to be precise, born and brought up in Mumbai. ''I am a typical Mumbai boy. Madly in love with the city. I don't think I can survive anywhere else for more than a day,'' smiles Vikram.

Vikram is having a ball acting in the drama of four friends in Dil Kya Chahta Hai which is basically about male-bonding. Each guy has his own problems and each one is, dramatically, different from the others. ''I play an RJ who's a complete idiot. Keeps saying all the wrong things at the wrong time. So he is always stuck in bizarre situations. His problem revolves around women. Abhinav who writes and directs it is simply amazing. It's great fun,'' says Vikram and after a little thought adds, ''At times we wonder what will we do when it's over. On the sets, it's complete madness. It's not like any regular shoot. Lot of dhamaal we have''.

The actor is also a popular model and has endorsed products like Fanta, Sprite, Levis, Bajaj Legend and many more. ''I must have done about 25 till now,'' he reckons.

Ask him what's next on television and he doesn't know. ''You see, I was under contract with Star One which just got over. At the moment there are these two shows but I have started getting calls and I am contemplating what to take up next,'' he concludes.

aries_sakshi thumbnail
Hot Stepper

After Karan Johar, it's Farhan Akhtar's turn to be on TV

Express Features Service

Kolkata, September 18: FARHAN Akhtar loves to watch people dance, which is why his films are known for their dance numbers. So when Star One asked him to judge their new dance-based reality show, Nach Baliye, he jumped at the offer.

The Dil Chahta Hai director now turns critic for 10 celebrity couples who will compete on the show. ''For a person who likes making films on relationships, it'll be great to watch the couples interacting together, rehearsing and shooting. Plus, I have access to candid behind the scenes footage,'' says Akhtar with a mischievous gleam in his eye.

While the other jury members haven't signed on the dotted line yet, the buzz is that Akhtar will be teamed with Saroj Khan and Malaika Arora Khan. When that happens, comparisons with the Indian Idol trio are inevitable. "On that show, the judges were evaluating a group of aspirants. Here, I'm not expecting them to be perfect so unless something they do is really awful, I'll try not to be discouraging,'' he says, adding that his brief is to mark the couples for their chemistry.

The TV debutante claims dance is integral to his life. "It's a great stress reliever. My wife and I try to go dancing whenever we can." Though he's not really a TV buff, Akhtar knows two of the couples on a personal basis— Parmeet Sethi and Archana Puran Singh and Rohit and Manasi Joshi Roy. He refutes the argument that familiarity will taint his judgment. "My job is not to give my personal opinion about the couples, but guide the voting audience by pointing strengths and weaknesses," he says.

On the film front, The Fakir, which marks his foray into acting, is still in the final stages of shooting and he doesn't think it will be ready in time for the Venice Film Festival as originally planned.

''We haven't been shooting for the past four weeks as the director is facing some personal problems," he says. Akhtar's also been offered an English film script by Bobby Pushkar, but is yet to give his nod. Pre-production for Don will also keep him busy for the next few months.

So could Nach Baliye spark off an idea for a film? "A lot of concepts just come from things you observe and hear, so who knows?" We second that.

aries_sakshi thumbnail
Dance Mania

Express Features Service

After director Karan Johar aced television TRPs with his show Koffee with Karan, now it is Farhaan Akhtar's turn to woo the audience. This uber cool director will make his television debut by joining Star One's much-awaited new dance show, Nach Baliye as one of the three celebrity judges.

Speaking about his new role as a judge, Farhaan said he was really passionate about dancing and always wanted to pursue it as a career. "Judging will be fun because I will be looking for more than just dancing abilities. I won't reveal more... just that the couples better be prepared!"

The two other judges for the show haven't been shortlisted yet but Farhaan's presence is sure to add to the electricity. Nach Baliye promises to pep up weeknights with the entertaining 'dance-off' between 10 'real life' celebrity couples.

Starting October 11, 2005, the show will air at 9:00 p.m. every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday for 10 weeks.

aries_sakshi thumbnail
Partying with a heavy heart!

T his was one party where people came together to not only celebrate a birthday, but also to say goodbye to a part of their lives that will never come back!

The DKCH team: buddies always!

Actor Vikram Acharya's birthday bash held at Rock Bottom, in suburban Mumbai late last night, had a gloomy air about it…and perhaps understandably so. With Dil Kya Chahta Hai on Star One coming to an end, the actor along with his buddies (Gaurav Chopra, Samir Sharma and Samir Soni) missed being together!

"Miss the show! I don't know what to say…It is something that is very close to my heart. None of us were informed about the culmination of the show, and it came as a surprise!" says birthday boy Vikram, who looked his cool 'Akki' self in a colourful headband, which his friends demanded he take off!

The party was well attended, and most of the stars headed straight for the bar (to drown

My friend: Vikram with Rashi

their sorrows????) Hiten Tejwani was spotted wasting no time in sipping his favourite drink; and this was a scene set for the night - glass in one hand, cigarettes in another, they discussed matters of the heart and hearth.

Gaurav Chopra seemed to be still carrying his 'Dare to Bare' hangover, as he walked in with girlfriend Narayani Shastri in a vest! They went their separate ways soon after. While Gaurav chose to chat with his buddies, Narayani decided to stick around with Kavita Kaushik and Kamya Punjabi.

Hiten Tejwani: My drink and me!

But the theme for the evening was set by the sudden demise of DKCH, and the actors made no bones about making it clear that the show was not well promoted.

"I hoped I would continue on this show…but it was not to be!" said Gaurav, who 'posed' for candid snaps for the benefit of the photographers around!

Samir however, put the whole issue in perspective - "It was a lot of things - the humour, the urban audiences and the theme of metrosexual males. The show talked about things that happen in society, but not openly. Thus the low TRPs. But life goes on and you have to let go. We will always remain friends…," he points out. "We are bros (brothers)," butted in Vikram, who gives his friend a huge hug.

Rajiv Paul with Vikram: it's your day buddy!

Vikram, who is no longer doing Apni Tuning Jamegi, is all geared up for his movie, although he chose to be tightlipped about it. His friend, Rashi, played the perfect hostess by greeting all his friends and making sure everyone was comfortable. The couple made a pretty picture!

Conspicuous with her absence was Shonali Malhotra Sonii, who played Gaurav's wife, Madhavi on the show. Others present were Sudhanshu Pandey (Band of Boys), Rajiv and Delnaz Paul, Sumeet Sachdev and Rajeev Khattar (Jassi…).

The Birthday boy with Samir Sharma

And as the party gathered momentum...and the sound of our voices drowned in the loud blare of the music, we bid adieu to the birthday boy , hoping that Vikram's year will bring him loads of luck and glory!

aries_sakshi thumbnail
STAR One hopes to create same magic with TGILC champions
Print this page

agencyfaqs!
MUMBAI, September 23

'The Great Indian Laughter
Challenge (TGILC)' on STAR One has been one of the channel's greatest successes. TAM figures indicate that the final episode of the comedy hunt got a TVR of 10.2 (C&S, 4+, HSM).

STAR One is targeted primarily at upwardly mobile viewers in metros. And as expected, the show has garnered even higher TVRs of 17.61 and 12.08 in Mumbai and Delhi, respectively.

What's interesting is that the show has caught the fancy of viewers even in other parts of the Hindi-speaking market. For instance, in Rajasthan, Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh, the show attained TVRs of 17.31, 15.11 and 14.07, respectively.

However, the show doesn't end here. STAR One has now launched a new weekly show, 'The Great Indian Laughter Champions', in the same time band, in which the six finalists of 'TGILC' will continue to tickle viewers with their comic routines.

The biggest challenge for STAR One now will be to maintain the high TVRs garnered by the original show.

As Kajal Malik, regional director, Optimum Media Solutions (OMS), says, "There is a lot more variety and novelty attached to any contest or talent hunt. For instance, in the original show, viewers used to wait for their favourite comedian's performance. But now, four acts by the same performer in one episode may tend to get monotonous and repetitive."

However, Ajay Vidyasagar, senior vice-president, marketing and communication, STAR India, clarifies that the new show will not be predictable. He says, "I think the six finalists of 'TGILC' have become household names, and people can't seem to get enough of them. In fact, the Friday 10 pm slot has become quite popular, and I believe people want to watch more of these comedians. Stand-up comedy shows such as 'The Tonight Show with Jay Leno' have been running successfully for a few years now."

Vidyasagar adds, "We plan to introduce innovations at various points. For instance, the viewers will be allowed to vote for their favourite comedian, and a viewer's choice award will be given to the one who gets the maximum votes."

Basabdutta Chowdhuri, COO, Madison Media Plus, also seems quite optimistic about the show's success. She points out that there will be a spillover of viewers from the original show.

Chowdhuri says, "Comedy shows have worked well for STAR One and the new show belongs to the same genre. Although the degree of success may vary, the new show will be a success."

She adds, "There was a market for comedy shows on Indian television, which STAR One has capitalised on rather well."

Sandip Tarkas, chief executive, Media Direction, concurs with her opinion. He says, "I think this show can maintain the viewership generated by 'The Great Indian Laughter Challenge'. There is nothing wrong with the concept, provided the six finalists keep dishing out more and more creative acts. I don't think the show should face much of a problem maintaining the TVRs."

However, he puts in a quick word of caution: "It might be a challenge for the six finalists to maintain the high calibre of humour that the viewers have come to expect after 'TGILC'."

Malik of OMS feels that content will pose a problem for the show. She also offers a word of advice: "What STAR One could probably have done after the success of 'TGILC' was taken a break and returned after a couple of months with a new comedy hunt and a new breed of comedians."

She is of the opinion that the style and expressions of the performers will become predictable. Malik says, "In a comedy show, it is rather risky to reach a plateau."

Media planners such as Hiren Pandit, general manager, MindShare, Mumbai, are of the opinion that comedy has a long way to go still in India, and this is just the beginning.

He concludes, "Comedy is an untapped genre that has been opened up by STAR One. I think if the new show keeps on reinventing itself, it should do well."

aries_sakshi thumbnail
TGILC's also delivers for Star One
(Monday, Sep 26, 2005 - 06:00 am)
Kishore Sharma - Televisionpoint.com
Witty Words, Irreverent jokes and grotesquely strange Bizarre antics have certainly tickled the audiences mind. After The Great Indian Laughter Challenge (TGILC) delivering for Star One, The Great Indian Laughter Champions (TGILC's) is also positioned directly above the same high overheads. These formatted shows for sure, involving a performance by a comedian standing alone on stage telling jokes or stories to an audience has unquestionably changed the face of Star One.

The laughing gas, we literally mean nitrous oxide produced by the channel isn't running out just yet, Star One's next property, which brought the final six comic brains back in a whole new avatar, with TGILC's, started last week did maintain for laughter continues to be very serious business. Sunil Pal, Ahsaan Qureshi, Naveen Prabhakar, Parag Kansara, Bhagwant Mann and Raju Srivastav were the final six contestants battling their wits for the title of Hasi ka Badshah, Sunil Pal was the winner.

Star One slotting the comedy show in the genre of alternative programming beyond soaps and family drama, has been well received by the audience. The channel is just at the conspicuous distance of the two main general entertainment rival channels, Zee TV and Sony Entertainment TV. The channel claims that Nach Baliye, a dance show which will see ten celebrity couples performing, if clicks Star One would be the only general entertainment channel to make the much headway with the Star One project in the preceding four years.

"The Great Indian Laughter Challenge success has demanded us to bring Nach Baliye, if this show gets right, We will beat Sony and ultimately our goal to become No. 2 to Star Plus would be rewarded. The programming innovation has become the key driver for us, alent hunts as a programming initiative are very common, but comedy talent hunts as a concept is unique and entertaining." says, Puneet Johar, Vice-president, Marketing, Star India says.

Facing the challenge to maintain the high TVRs garnered by the original show, TGILC, TGILC's also maintained the lineage. TAM figures indicate that the first episode of the comedy champions got a TVR of 7.15 (C&S, 4+, 9 cities) and 7.06 (C&S, 4+, HSM), mounting to the 26th position in both the markets. Interestingly, beside the point, the Gala round of Fame Gurukul evenhandedly delivered a TVR of 3.82 (C&S, 4+, 9 cities) and 3.25 (C&S, 4+, HSM). The show garnered even higher TVRs in the metros of Mumbai and Delhi, an avearage TVR of 12.89, with 496 OOO's.

Kajal Malik, Regional Director, Optimum Media Solutions says, "Unlike other shows where the personality and presence of the contestant counts, here the funny moment or joke makes a winner. The one joke that tickled me the most was Mumbaikar Naveen Prabhakar's 'bar girl' imitation."

Argubaly, TGILC is the only talent hunt, whose winners and final contestants have been pursued by Bollywood Directors to cast in their projects. For example, Sunil Pal, the winner of the series is signed for a movie project with Subhash Ghai, Ram Gopal Varma among other five projects. It has become a fact that the humourous story told gravely, the teller does his best to conceal the fact that he even dimly suspects that there is anything funny about it.
aries_sakshi thumbnail
TALKING POINT: Farhaan Akhtar

Farhaan Akhtar puts on his dancing shoes for Star One's new celebrity dance show to premiere in early October — Nach Baliye. Shivangi Misra asks him why

Express Features Service

Kolkata, September 25: What is the concept of Nach Baliye?
The show will have 10 couples from the television world battling it out for the first prize. Each couple would have their personal choreographer who would be training them during the course of the show.

What made you take up judging this show, considering that you are not known as a dancer.
Well, I have always been interested in dance. In fact, I used to participate in various kinds of dance shows when I was around 18- 19 years old. So, the interest comes from there, I guess. Besides, when Star One approached me to be one of the three judges, I was excited by the concept of the show. I generally take up something if I like what I would be doing.

As a judge what will you look for in the contestants' performances?
My movies revolve around human emotions and relationships. So I guess, I would essentially be looking at the chemistry that couple share, how they would support each other, fill in for each other's mistakes. Also, for me it would be great research ground to observe how a couple behaves when put in such extreme situations.

You say you've always been interested in dance. Is there anything in particular you enjoy as a dance form?
I used to enjoy break dance a lot, but now I guess I have finally grown out of it.

Have you choreographed any of the songs in your movies so far?
Not yet. But I am always very involved with the whole process. Say for instance, if a character is defined as shy, one can't really expect him to keep his inhibitions aside while dancing.

So I make it a point that the dance movements go with the personality of the character when the dance is being filmed.

Okay - will we get to see the dancer in Farhaan Akhtar perform on this show?
Really depends on my mood. If a performance is powerful enough and I can't resist dancing, then maybe, who knows!

Last question: now that you're on TV, any plans to produce your own television show?
No, none as of now.

aries_sakshi thumbnail
Birthday blast

* Vikram Acharya of Apni Tuning Jamegi and Dil Kya Chahta Hai fame celebrated his birthday on Thursday at Rock Bottom, Juhu. The party was far cry from a boys' night as telly couples came in droves—including Mansi and Rohit Roy, and Delnaaz and Rajiv Paul. Mandira Bedi and Hiten Tejwani came sans spouses. With Kajra re doing encores, the Sandman didn't come calling here for a long time.
aries_sakshi thumbnail
Satish Shah

Transcript of LIVE CHAT with Actor, Satish Shah at 12 noon on Monday, September 19 2005 in Mumbai

Satish Shah
actor

"I have restricted myself to doing six movies a year. And, at any given time, I only do one serial"

Jassu > I love your role in Hum Aapke Hai Kaun . Which character is your favorite in this movie?
Satish Shah > I like Salman (Khan) because he was simply himself; no attitude. Thanks

Anupam95 > Hi Satishji. How are you? What is the secret for your good health?
Satish Shah > I prefer eating at home. I am doing fine, thank you.

Jassu > Actually, I am a Salman Khan fan. Do you also believe that he is a spoiled brat, as you have done so many films with him?
Satish Shah > One who knows Salman personally will have a very different idea compared to what media has created. He is a wonderful guy, believes in charity and is very helpful. He has done a lot of wonderful things for the poor, without letting people know about his good deeds. His only drawback being, he uses his heart first and the mind later.

Kali > From the time you started your career in films and on TV, how have you seen the two medium change – I mean both, films and TV?
Satish Shah > When I started doing TV then TV industry was in its infancy. But then, as usual, when it became popular, a lot of people poured in (it) to try their luck. Films have remained the same, except the trends have been changing every three months. Sometimes it's action, or musical, social, family drama. And I am glad that I have adapted myself to all these, and still surviving.

Sadzaf > Do you always want to play a comic role? What other roles excite you?
Satish Shah > All kind of roles excite me and I am capable of playing all types (of roles). I try to put my flair for humor between the lines wherever I can, as I enjoy doing that.

Vishal > Satish bhai, I love your style. Why are you not visible these days?
Satish Shah > Well, I am pretty visible but I have restricted myself to doing six movies a year. And, at any given time, I only do one serial.

Sadzaf > Do you have any aspiration to become a producer or a director?
Satish Shah > Not as yet because it's a serious job to direct a movie I can't do acting and directing at the same time. Probably, when I give up acting, I will direct.

Nikhil > Do you like to work in serials or movies?
Satish Shah > As far as acting goes, it's the same everywhere. What is important is that I should enjoy doing it, whether it's a serial or a movie.

Jigs > When did you begin your career?
Satish Shah > Well, my career began in 1977 with a film named, Arvind Desai's Ajeeb Daastaan . But it took off in 1984, with the film Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron and the TV serial Yeh Jo Hai Zindagi

Riva > Why is it that despite your brilliant talent, you are not counted among the top names of films or even TV stars now? What else is required, besides being talented?
Satish Shah > Well, the most important element, which is missing in me, is PR (public relations).

Michelle > Hi Satish. Let me tell you, you've got a cute and an adorable face. Do you relate to your character "Indu" in Saarabhai v/s Sarabhai ? Are you a happy-go-lucky person?
Satish Shah > Yes, I very much relate to the character. I never get in to anything, which could cause tension, and to an extent, I am a happy-go-lucky kind of person. Thank you.

Tom > How did you manage to continue acting as the 'dead body' in Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron ? It was hilarious! Do people still remember you by that film?
Satish Shah > Of course, they do remember me in that movie. It wasn't difficult to act as the 'dead body' as people make it sound.

Clod > Comedy is definitely your forte. But, is it what you like doing the most, or given a chance you would like to play some other roles? Why?
Satish Shah > I would like to play some other roles but definitely won't give up comedy.

Sadzaf > The characters that you played in past, are you happy and satisfied with those portrayals or do you have any dream role?
Satish Shah > Actually, the day an actor gets satisfied with any role he plays that's the day he stops being an actor. A quote: In a race of perfection there is no finishing line. I have never planned my life so may be, one day, a role will fall in to my lap and I will know that's my dream role.

Navabhinav77 > How do you rate your performance in Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron?
Satish Shah > Well, it's for the people to rate it.

Kali > What do you do in your free time?
Satish Shah > I am a computer nut and I do a bit of reading. I am very fond of reading the newspaper. I watch television, but not S aas Bahu dramas . I watch the National Geographic, Discovery, HBO etc

Lili > Do tell us something about yourself like your family, education, where are you from, how did you get into this field etc?
Satish Shah > Well, I was born and brought up in Mumbai. I went to the St. Xavier's College. The only time I ventured out of Mumbai for two years was when I joined the Film and Television Institute of India, in Pune. My family basically belongs to Kutch (Gujarat). But the last three generations have been in Mumbai.

Kali > Do you remember any funny incidents from the time of shooting for Jaane Bhi Do Yaaroon ? Surely there must have been a few. Do tell us if you can recall any right now...
Satish Shah > There was one particular day when we shot for almost 40 hours and when pack up was called, each and everybody in the unit went off to sleep, wherever they were - standing or sitting. And I got to see this whole scene. I found it very funny because I got up after an hour from where ever I had slumped to go to the loo.

Raj_heart > Which is your favorite actor/actress?
Satish Shah > There is a long list to it. Anthony Quinn is one of them. In Bollywood it would be Dilip Kumar, Kishore Kumar and Mr. (Amitabh) Bachchan; the list goes on.

Jigs > Today everyone is so health and weight conscious. If you don't mind me asking are you doing anything about your weight?
Satish Shah > Actually, I may look overweight but I am quite energetic for my age. I still play table tennis and cricket. I generally feel fit; maybe I don't look it.

Saurabh_desh > Do we have any chance to see you once again in the kind of role you did in Yeh Jo Hai Jindagi ? Also, do you think comedy script writers have disappeared or not working that hard these days?
Satish Shah > Well, good comedy is very difficult to write. An individual cannot create that .You need a tamed writers, director, actors etc. If we have that kind of a team coming together then we can surely have Yeh Jo Jai Zindagi . And I am already doing something like that in Sarabhai Vs Sarabhai ; I am thoroughly enjoying it.

Quest_4_guest > Hi, any chance of getting to Hollywood?
Satish Shah > I am not very keen in that direction. I like to say put in my motherland.

Sign off message > Whatever you do, do it with honesty. Love, Satish.