Blabbering of a Bibliophile - Participants Entries

pontiacbandit thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

A huge round of applause for the following people for sending in some terrific entries. 👏

Kunchu
 ..RamKiJanaki..
 veeranu
 Ronatin
Shadow-Fax
Texie-Shady
Laugh.Out.Loud 
 ChaiBiskoot

Below are the entries submitted by them.

Edited by somergasm. - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

BornThisWay thumbnail
e n t r y  o n e

by

Kunchu

"Gerry's last letter to Holly."

Wrapping herself in his oversized robe she sat down to feel his last letter. One may call it his last words, but never for her. His love and words were always lingering with her in every air she breathed... in every heartbeat she felt. But none understood it. And she never bothered to make them understand.

The envelope was as light as it was all the times. She held onto it, not willing to open. After this, she had nothing to look forward to for the next month. With those trembling fingers, she went for it.

Dear Holly,

As I write this last letter, I can feel you sitting in a corner, keeping all to yourself and reading it. I am sure you are trying to curse me, but my Love, give it a rest and blow your nose. You have made it beautifully till here. Yes you slouched and drunk and made a fool out of yourself. You argued, cried and then laughed till you could cry again. Still it's you. It's my Holly who is reading this. And I am so proud of you.

I have always seen myself getting old with you .I saw myself getting grey and still being in love with you. Maybe even being grandparents of all those notorious kids running about. But now in this bed I guess I understand well, that I can never be selfish.

I lived my life full, Holly. Yes I am greedy to live more. I hate it to feel that I don't have much time with me. I hate it to feel that you will look to my pillow, trying to get a glimpse of me. You may feel cold at night and nudge to my side to find it empty.

I may be an empty pillow or memory. But I am within you too. Hold yourself tight and you will feel me. Call for me, and I will hear you. Look out for me and I will be there for you.

Again, that should never stop you. Go ahead my love, explore what you don't see. Feel what you can't even imagine. Smile as never before. And more than anything thing... Love as you always wished for.

Crazy and carefree, responsible yet happy. Don't find yourself looking at other moving on. Live... and fall in love... Again.

Oh yeah... you can fall in love again. Because the girl whom I knew, whom I loved; was ready to look out for that sunshine that others fail to see. And knew to bring that sunshine to the one who found himself in dark, yet unknown to it.

There is someone out there, Holly. Just like that Gerry who fell in love with your first smile, there is someone out there. Maybe you have seen him too. But you are too scared to hold his hands. Scared that you will lose mine.

But Love, I will never lose you. Even if I can't hold you tight, I would be there to watch your every step. Don't be scared anymore, Holly. Don't be scared to make mistake. To love. To live.

Walk ahead Holly, and lemme see you living my life. Happy and full.

Fall in love with yourself and open your eyes. You will see love infront of your eyes.

Holding you in my heart,

Gerry.

PS: I Love you, always and forever.

"Oh Gerry..." she whispered and closed her eyes. She could still see Gerry trying to write this letter before she could walk in. She could feel him smiling with a tiny teardrop struck in those tired eyes. She could feel him kissing the letter before keeping it hidden below the pillow.

"Gerry..."  A name was all that she could say for the moment. Holding onto this moment forever, she leaned back to the couch and cried. For a moment, she could feel his fingers moving through her hair. She could feel his warmth near her. She could feel his arms around her.

"Sleep well, Holly"

The air whispered for her and she slept, letting her closer to him in the dreams, where he was just a breath away from her.

Edited by BornThisWay - 9 years ago
pontiacbandit thumbnail
e n t r y  t w o

by

..RamKiJanaki..

"Darcy does not initially find Elizabeth 'handsome enough.'"

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a great dislike for society must be in want of escape, and yet Mr. Darcy found himself bereft of just that. Nothing but consideration for Mr. Bingley's feelings could have tempted Mr. Darcy to remain in the ridiculous society of these vulgar country people. From the moment he had entered the confining assembly rooms teeming with their airs and pretentions, he knew he had made a big mistake. 

As usual, it was not long before Mr. Darcy's worth was circulated around the entire room. Men proclaimed him to be a fine figure of a man, and the women declared he was far handsomer than Mr. Bingley. Darcy heard many exclamations of "10,000 a year!" around the room, and he was disgusted. Every moment spent in the assembly hall was torture, and he wondered at Bingley for taking so much enjoyment from it. He seemed quite pleased with his current partner, a Miss Jane Bennet. Granted, the lady was the handsomest lady in the room, but Darcy could not see any class or distinction in her to be so singled out. Certainly she was no more charming than the ladies of London with whom Bingley had fallen in and out of love. He was just contemplating whether leaving early would be an insult to Bingley when the man himself came to stood next to him.

"Darcy, I must have you dance!" Bingley cried eagerly, "I must! I hate to see you standing about by yourself in this stupid manner. You had much better dance!"

"I certainly shall not," Darcy responded disdainfully, "You know how I detest it, unless I am particularly acquainted with my partner. At such an assembly as this it would be insupportable. Your sisters are engaged, and there is not another woman in the room whom it would not be a punishment to me to stand up with."

"Good God, I would not be so fastidious as you are for a kingdom!" cried Mr. Bingley, "Upon my honour, I never met with so many pleasant girls in my life as I have this evening; and there are several of them you see uncommonly pretty."

"You are dancing with the only handsome girl in the room," said Mr. Darcy, looking at the eldest Miss Bennet.

"Oh! She is the most beautiful creature I ever beheld! But there is one of her sisters sitting down just behind you, who is very pretty, and I dare say very agreeable. Do let me ask my partner to introduce you."

Mr. Darcy looked to where Bingley was demonstrating, fully prepared to find a plain woman with more pretention than fashion, but he was pleasantly surprised to see a lively girl with sparkling eyes that seemed to light with life. She was laughing at something her friend, a Miss Charlotte Lucas if he recalled correctly, was saying. They both were glancing at him out of the corner of their eyes and he suspected they might have been talking about him. Had they overheard what he and Bingley were talking about?

Bingley was pleased that his friend had not denied an introduction with Miss Bennet's sister outright. He wanted nothing more than for his friend to enjoy himself that evening, and if an introduction with Miss Bennet's sister could achieve that, he was willing to make the effort, even if it meant testing Darcy's limits.

"Let me ask Miss Bennet to introduce you," Bingley pressed, "Whether you dance with her or not is your choice, but I heard Miss Elizabeth Bennet to be a lively conversationalist!"

Darcy was loathe to leave his secure place in the corner of the room, but he did not think he could take standing there by himself for the entirety of the night. He would see for himself if Miss Elizabeth Bennet was as lively a conversationalist as she was said to be!

Sensing Darcy's silent agreement, Bingley went to fetch Jane Bennet and arrived not long after with the young lady on his arms, a pretty blush on her cheek. He introduced Miss Bennet to Darcy and the latter was pleased with her charming manners. Perhaps Miss Bennet was not so very bad after all.

Miss Bennet agreed to introduce the gentleman to her sister and led them to where the said lady stood curiously with her friend, watching their movements.

"Lizzie, Mr. Darcy wishes to be introduced to you," Jane Bennet said in a sweet voice. Elizabeth was surprised with her sister's words, for the same Mr. Darcy had rebuffed her, her mother and sister just hours before.

"Mr. Darcy, this is my sister Elizabeth," Jane continued, oblivious to her sister's confusion, "Lizzie, this is Mr. Darcy, Mr. Bingley's friend from Derbyshire." 

"I am pleased to make your acquaintance, madam," Mr. Darcy bowed, struck by the magnificence of the young lady's eyes. 

"The pleasure is all mine, sir," Elizabeth curtsied, observing the young man with a keen mind. 

"Well Darcy, Miss Elizabeth, if you both will excuse us, I believe the next set us to commence shortly and Miss Bennet has been so kind as to accept my hand for it," Bingley said cheerfully, desiring to whisk Jane Bennet to the floor now that his duty as a friend had been discharged. 

Elizabeth watched her sister and Mr. Bingley leave with a smile, but her attention was soon claimed by the mysterious man from Derbyshire, who was staring at her intently. 

Seeing that his gaze was found out, Darcy cleared his throat and said, "Miss Bennet, I would be most obliged if you would dance this set with me." 

"The honor is all mine," Elizabeth replied, "I would be pleased to dance with you, Mr. Darcy."

As Mr. Darcy offered her his arm and led her towards the couples assembling for the set, Elizabeth was not ignorant of the honor of being singled out by such a wealthy gentleman beyond her sphere. There were rumors that his estate, Pemberley as it was called, spanned almost half of Derbyshire, and its reported income of 10,000 pounds was far less than it actually brought forth. Elizabeth was not the sort of woman whose head was turned by a wealthy man, but even she knew that the man standing before her was as powerful as he was wealthy, and he had singled her out, the daughter of a simple country gentleman. Her vanity was quite indulged.

Mr. Darcy proved to be an excellent dance partner, and Miss Elizabeth did not disgrace him. The Hertfordshire townsfolk were quite amazed at the fluidity of the couple's movements. Where one left off, the other continued, and they matched each other's steps as if they had been dancing together for ages. The couple was quiet initially, but then they began a conversation and were soon at ease with each other. By the end of the set, Miss Elizabeth was laughing gaily and even the proud Mr. Darcy had a smile on his face.

Tongues began to wag, and predictions flew from people's mouths that Pemberley and Longbourn would be joined in holy matrimony before Christmas. Mrs. Bennet, who had been quite miffed with the haughty Master of Pemberley for rebuffing her earlier, completely changed her opinion about him and proclaimed him to be the most amiable of men. Surely no friend of Mr. Bingley could be anything less! Her gleaming eyes set their caps on Mr. Bingley and Mr. Darcy for her two eldest daughters. Oh, for certain her future would be well secured with such connections, as would that of her daughters', for they would be thrown into the path of other rich men!

Quite oblivious to Mrs. Bennet's schemes, Mr. Darcy thoroughly enjoyed himself dancing with Miss Elizabeth. The pastime had never been a favorite of his, but with such a partner he could finally understand the enjoyment his friends found in the activity. Miss Elizabeth not only possessed a lithe pair of feet, but also an intelligent mind that enjoyed sparring with him on a variety of topics not commonly known to young ladies.

Elizabeth on her part was astonished that a man of Mr. Darcy's stature was not offended by the topics she chose to converse on, some of them downright masculine such as crop rotation and the state of affairs with the war on Napoleon. She had conversed on such topics before with other men of her acquaintances, but they wore condescending smiles and were quick to remind her that such topics were not for the ears of young ladies such as herself. Elizabeth despaired of meeting a man besides her father with whom she could converse freely without fear of disdain. Mr. Darcy seemed such a man, but could there ever be anything between them besides acquaintance? After all, it is a truth universally acknowledged that a woman in possession of a keen mind must be in want of an indulging husband.

The End

BornThisWay thumbnail
e n t r y  t h r e e

by

veeranu

"Harry, Hermione, Neville and Malfoy are sent to the Forbidden Forest with Hagrid to serve detention."

Harry, Hermione, Neville and Draco were out on detention for being out of bed. Harry thought that he should have taken better care of his cloak. What was keeping him from shouting out loud was that the detention would be done with Hagrid. Harry had been happy when he heard that he would be serving detention with Hagrid. Hagrid came along with Fang behind him. Hagrid said,"Alright Argus. I'll take them from ere." Mr. Filch said,"Alright.. Enjoy urself in the Forest." Molfoy shouted,"The Forbidden Forest ?? But its forbidden." Mr. Filch said,"You should have thought that before going around and causing trouble. Its too bad that the old punishments have been forbidden. I would have loved to hang you upside down in the Great Hall where students can laugh at you. Now off you all go." Mr. Filch went away and Hagrid said, "Follow me now." Harry, Hermione, Neville and Draco followed Hagrid into the Forbidden Forest. Off they went into the Forest. It was dark, creepy and quiet. The only sound was the whine of Fang. Hagrid made them into groups. He said,"Harry and Hermione, ya both come with me. Draco and Neville can go together." Draco snapped,"Fine. Then Fang comes with me.." Hagrid grimly said,"Fine. Take him. But don't come to me when Fang runs away before you do." Draco looks at Fang with disgust while Hagrid went away with Harry and Hermione. Draco and Neville went deep into the forest. Draco complained,"This stuff is beneath my status. I can't go around doing stuff that simply doesen't need my attention and time." Neville cowardly asked,"Y..Yo..You are in detention." Draco sneered, "Well spotted Longbottom." Meanwhile Harry and Hermione were with Hagrid. Hermione asked,"Hagrid.. Why exactly are we here ?" Hagrid replied,"Well Hermione, we've come here looking for unicorns that have been injured.." Harry asked,"What ??" Hagrid said,"Yes Harry.. Dumbledore's orders. We've got to help them. Now let's go. Come on." As they were walking, they heard screams from behind. They saw Malfoy running towards them screaming, Fang and Neville in toe. Hagrid asked,"What happened to both of you ?" Malfoy said,"There was something.. I saw something.." Harry asked,"What did you see ?" Mafloy said,"It was a hooded figure. I ran away." Hagrid said,"Alright then. Let's stick together.." They started walking again. Malfoy got back to his usual self and snapped,"Fang should have chased that thing away. But he didn't." Hagrid said,"That's why I told you. He is a bloody coward." Harry's scar began to hurt. He touched it and winced. Hermione noticed this and asked,"Harry, are you alright ??" Harry nodded but he knew he wasn't alright. His scar was burning very deeply and he didn't know why. Hagrid called them,"Ya both. Come here." Hermione and Harry went to Hagrid. He had something sticky in his hands. He said,"This is unicorn blood. This is what we are here." Draco, Neville and Hermione went closer to examine the blood while Harry stood massaging his scar. He noticed a figure lurking in the corner. It went swiftly. He followed the figure. He scar started burning yet again. Atlast he came to a halt where he saw the figure crouched over an unicorn drinking its blood. Harry's eyes widened. He started going backwards when he accidently fell downj. The hooded figure looked at him and went towards him. Harry didn't know what to do so he picked out his wand and shouted,"Aknoxiate !!" The figure easily dogged the spell and went towards him. Harry moved back while sitting. He didn't know what to do.. Now how he hoped he could rewind the time and go back so that he would never be in trouble. He did not know how far he was from Hagrid and the others. Suddenly something came infront of him and scared the hooded figure went away. Harry heard concerned voices of Hagrid and Hermione shout,"Harry !!" They reached the place where Harry stood with the centaur. Hagrid cheered,"Hello there Firenze.." Firenze nodded curtly at Hagrid and said,"Now this is where I leave you Harry Potter. The forest is not good for you. You know you should stay at the castle. What you think about is there. And what drinks this blood is after you. Good Luck Harry Potter. Hope you succeed this time too." The centaur went away. Hagrid bent down and picked up a goo in his hands and let out a breath. Hermione asked,"Hagrid ! Is that ??" Hasgrid said,"Yes Hermione.. It is Unicorn Blood." Harry asked,"Whay are you so particular about this blood ?" Hermione answered,"Harry, The unicorn's blood is something that will keep a person alive even if he is a few moments away from death. BUT its a crime killing such an innocent animal. A person who drinks unicorn blood is destines to live a life of unhappiness once the blood touches his/her lips. Hagrid said,"Alright now. Let's go." Hagrid went first followed by Draco and Neville. Before Hermione could leave, Harry pulled her aside by the arm. Hermione winced,"Oww !!!" Harry let go of her arm and said, " Oh sorry.." Hermione asked, "What is it, Harry ?" Harry said,"Hermione. I think I know where the Stone is.' Hermione suddenly got interested and asked,"What do you mean Harry ?" Harry said,"Yes Hermione. Firenze the Centaur he gave a clue. At first I thought it was some sort of a phrase but then it fits." Hermione asked, "What is it, Harry ?" Harry said,"Hermione, the stone is inside the castle." Hermione asked,"How are you sure Harry ?" Harry said,"Hermione, the creature that attacked me, it was Voldemort. Firenze said that what drank this blook is after you. It has to be Voldemort. He also told that what I need is hidden in the castle. It all fits. The stone is all I think about all the time." Herminone nodded. Harry said,"We need to get to the castle and tell Ron about this.

pontiacbandit thumbnail

e n t r y  f o u r

by

Ronatin

"Darcy does not initially find Elizabeth 'handsome enough.'"

The ball room was adorning a spectacular decorative view, embellished with chamber pots, flowers and other valuable decors, The assembled young men and women were holding themselves with certain pride and eagerness. Bingley and family invited the Bennetts and the other invitees into the party space brimming with warm and wide smiles. Elizabeth dressed in a peach flowing gown drew the eyeballs of the many young handsome men embarked in hunting for a partner to dance in the ball. Jane was graciously invited to shake a leg with, by none other than Mr.Bingley himself.

"She definitely is one among the most prettier girl of the lot, easy enough to attract a decent guy like Mr. Bingley" Mrs.Bennett thought proudly viewing their dance from afar. Jane and Mr.Bingley's dance was eyed by many other young girls in the ball, who could nothing better than throw angry, jealous looks at Jane's luck. Mr.Darcy who was stealing glance at his friend Mr.Bingley, whom seemed to be having the best of his time, having fun with a very pretty girl, his eyes prowling at the other girls randomly, for a prospective dance partner for himself. It was then he spotted the pretty and handsome looking Elizabeth adorning a peach gown, being every inch a delightful sight to look at.

"Whoa, she is ... She is so handsome, wish I could get to dance with her... But..." His introverted thoughts pondered as Darcy has always had problem with his nerves, they had always failed him in such romantic aspects like this.

Out of the blue, Darcy's hand was pulled along by Mr.Bingley, who prompted him to dance with any girl in the room.

"Darcy, my friend, why don't you join us on the dance floor, do join us. Come on pair up with a girl, man! I for one would suggest you to choose one from Jane's beautiful sisters themselves!" He quipped Darcy., and wasn't abashed to see him cast a fleeting glance at a graceful looking Elizabeth once, before retreating off from the dance floor.

"Bingley, it's... it's alright, not now... I'd rather be... !" He said hesitantly pulling off from his best friend's grip.

"Oho, not this time, buddy! Come over here, and Elizabeth, please would you please dance with my friend here?" To Darcy's utter delight Mr.Bingley seemed to have had pulled along Elizabeth out of thin air to pair him up.

"I...I don't wanna..." He stammered wanting not to be an embarrassment in front of such a pretty girl.

"Darcy... Don't worry, just have fun!" Mr.Bingley encouraged. After several attempts of refusing Bingley's persistence won, Darcy had no choice but bow down to his best friend's plea.

"Fi...fi...fine!" He said stutteringly.

"Hello..I'm D...Darcy.! He introduced himself in a tentative tone, Elizabeth nodded and wished him back. They both bowed before entangling each other in their grasps. Darcy placed a shivering hand around Elizabeth's thin waist, while she grabbed his shoulder. Feeling both glad and embarrassed at their proximity, they started to swirl on the spot.

"Oops, Sorry Ms.Bennett! He apologized as he stamped on her leg once in his nervousness. Elizabeth simply shrugged, smiling at his clumsiness. Gradually as time passed on, Darcy forgot all about his shyness, also his incapability to impress an opposite sex, and had complete fun shaking leg with Elizabteth. Feeling the room hotter after a tiring dance session, they retreated off to get drinks.

"Ms.B...Bennett, here's your drink" he handed over a glass of wine, with such a courteous manner.

"Thanks, Mr.Darcy!" She thanked casting a warm simper at him. She was at first reluctant to consider dancing with him, seeing him refuse to dance with her several times. She had a feeling that he must have thought her inferior to him, or not pretty enough to attract him. But after they started dancing, her perception changed, he is certainly a gentle guy, she had thought.
After finishing their drink, Darcy stretched his hands once again to continue dancing with him. To their dismay, Elizabeth's shoe heels had cracked open.

"Mr.Darcy, seems my heel's broken, I may not be able to continue dancing anymore, you please carry on with somebody else!" She said gently.

"Oh no, that's bad manners Ms.Bennett! I'd like to see your shoes, hand them over to me!" He requested with a smile. Elizabeth's surprise knew no bounds now, she tried to refuse but Darcy's gentleness was simply hard to defy.

Darcy, took the other pair and broke off the heel out of the second shoe too, stupefying a curious looking Elizabeth out of her wits.

"Mr.Darcy, what are you doing?" She squealed in surprise.

"Nothing Ms.Bennett, just making sure you dance with me, nonetheless!" He said with a most charming smile he could muster up. Elizabeth could not help but grin at his undeniable charm and thus they ended up dancing once again, with more broader smile and blushing cheeks, having eyes only for each other. With her curiosity burning, Elizabeth mouthed her pondering thoughts to Darcy.

"Mr.Darcy, seeing the gracious behavior of yours, I'm quite appalled that why you refused to dance with in the first place, I wondered if you thought me below your standards...!" She said with a puzzled, curious look.

For a moment, Darcy fidgeted with his bow, searching for words.

"Mr.Darcy...?".

"Ms.Bennett, yeah, I'm...!" He stammered looking sheepish.
"I can never think of you below to me, or... Unattractive! The reason I turned down to dance with you was... Because... I was pretty much nervous., I'm a woefully poignant when it comes to impressing pretty women. And you're... you're one of the most prettiest girl, my eyes ever beheld in this ballroom. It's...just... I didn't want to make a fool of myself in front of you..!" He said slowly with a tentative smile. Elizabeth's inquisitive scrutinizing eyes lightened up, her lips curving with a warm shy smile at Darcy's confession. 

BornThisWay thumbnail
e n t r y  f i v e

by

Brishti_Sarkar

"Katniss and Gale in the woods before the reaping"

There is always someone out there with whom you can completely be yourself. The relation of blood is not what counts here, but the connection of heart does. Gale was someone of that sort for Katniss. Gale knew Katniss and she knew him better than the back of their hands. She could be herself around him. She knew she always had a shoulder to cry on. Although Katniss never cried. Tears were something very precious for the people living in District 12, and they did not shed them easily. Or perhaps, never. Katniss ran up the hills to their favoured rendezvous, where she longed to be, away from the rest of the world. The blackberry bushes stood guarding the place from the rest of the District. Katniss smiled at the sight of Gale waiting for her. "Ahh! Catnip. The sun never shines except in the woods." Gale said. Katniss did not say anything, but stared at Gale, trying to understand what he meant. It is almost right then she understood when Gale said, "You never smile except in the woods." Catnip was an official nickname Gale used for Katniss. When he first met her, Katniss has barely whispered her name, and so Gale thought she said Catnip. Katniss loved her name. It reminded her of something very special. It was only Gale who Katniss let her call Catnip.
Gale held up a loaf of bread with an arrow struck on it. "Look what I shot." Katniss took it and pulled out the arrow, inhaling the warm mouth watering smell which came from it. Fine bread like this was like heaven to the people from District 12 where food was more scarce than happiness. The bread was still warm. Katniss closed her eyes and let her mouth flood with saliva. "What did it cost you?" Katniss asked Gale. "Oh just a squirrel. The old man was in a good mood. He even wished me luck." Gale said. Today was a day when the people felt a little closer to each other. Who knew what would be the result of the reaping? Anyone could be chosen to take part in the Hunger Games. "May the odds be in your favour." said the slogan. Every year in the reaping, the name of one boy and one girl was picked up and they would be chosen to take part in the Hunger Games, where staying alive was the real target.
"I have cheese." Katniss said pulling a piece of goat cheese out. "Prim left us one."  She said, smiling. The thought of cheese brightened up Gale's expression. They could have a real feast now. "Oh! I almost forgot. Happy Hunger Games!" Gale said imitating Effie Trinket, the woman who arrived once a year to read out names at the reaping. He plucked a few blackberries from the bushes. Katniss snatched two from Gale and left it in her tongue. Her teeth touched the blackberries and the sweetness exploded in her taste buds. "May the odds.." Gale whispered into Katniss's ears.. "Be ever in your favour!" Katniss added. Gale pulled out his knife and sliced the bread, and spread the soft goat cheese on them. He carefully placed a basil leaf on each while Katniss striped the bushes of their berries. Gale and Katniss could be called twin souls. They had same grey eyes, olive skin and straight black hair. From the woods they could have a clear view of the valley teeming with summer life. The soft breeze and the blue sky above made the atmosphere so pleasant that the two forgot about their problems are relished the wonderful food and cherished the beautiful weather. Katniss wished it was a holiday, and she could spend the whole day with Gale roaming on the mountains. But instead they had to be standing to hear names to be called out. "Katniss.." Gale said.
"Yeah?"
"We could do it you know."
"What?" Katniss asked.
"Live in the woods leaving the district. You and I. We could make it."
Katniss wished she couls agree, but before she could say something, Gale stole her words.
"If we did not have so many kids."

Right. The families were like their own children. They had to be protected by Katniss and Gale. Gale had two brothers and a sister. Katniss had one sister, Prim. Their mothers too counted. How could they live without Gale or Katniss? Their families were completely dependent on them. Neither Katniss nor Gale had count of how many nights their families had to spend with their stomachs empty. Once in a while they had a proper meal to fill their stomachs. It was better to marry or have kids living here. "I dont want kids." Katniss said. "I would, if i did not live here." Gale groaned. "But you do!!" Katniss argued. "Forget it." Gale said . The atmosphere kind of spoiled the mood they began with. Katniss and Gale both knew they wanted to leave, but they could not even live their lives. Forget about leaving. "It would be easy for you to find a wife." Katniss said, trying to make the mood lighter. Gale was handsome, strong and a good hunter. "So can you find a husband." Gale added. The sun shone high up the sky. The rays fell on Katniss's scars due to hunting. Thankfully the rays weren't strong enough to display the scars of the heart.

pontiacbandit thumbnail
e n t r y  s i x

by

..RamKiJanaki..

"Harry, Hermione, Neville and Malfoy are sent to the Forbidden Forest with Hagrid to serve detention."

"Hagrid? Hermione?" Harry called out in panic, not finding his companions anywhere near. He looked around and found himself surrounded by dark trees and bushes, the moon barely visible through the thicket.

He, Hermione, Malfoy and Neville were serving their detention in the forbidden forest. At first they had been relieved that Hagrid would be overseeing it, instead of someone as severe and unforgiving as Snape or Filch, but that hope had soon been dashed when Hagrid had explained what their detention would be. They would be following a trail of silvery unicorn blood to see if it would lead them to the animal itself, for Hagrid was concerned about what sort of creature could be hunting unicorns. They had split into groups. Malfoy and Neville took Fang with them while Harry and Hermione got Hagrid. 

They had been searching for about 20 minutes before Harry, thinking he had found the unicorn, broke away from the group to investigate. However, the silvery creature had turned out to be a rabbit, which had quickly darted into the bushes upon his arrival. Since then Harry had been calling out for Hagrid and Hermione, scared to shout too loud in case he alerted other, more dangerous creatures.

I could not have been gone too long,' Harry thought, cursing himself for his mistake, If only I knew how to invoke some light with my wand!' He reckoned Hermione probably knew a spell that could invoke light, but since she was not with him it was of no use.

As if it could read his mind, the moon suddenly shifted from behind the clouds and illuminated his way. Harry looked on the ground for footprints, particularly large ones. He did not find footprints, but as he scanned his surroundings he saw something glimmering on the trees. Someone had carved letters with their wand, and put a spell that made them glimmer in the moon. From the distance Harry read "Potter", and intrigued he immediately hurried towards the tree. 

James Potter and Lily Evans was written in curvy text across the tree trunk, and underneath was written something else in different text. Get a room, you two! - Padfoot

Harry grinned. Whoever this Padfoot was knew his parents, and by the jovial tone of his text he seemed to be their friend. Eager to see if there was more, he looked around the tree and saw some more notes between his parents and this Padfoot.

Leave us alone, Padfoot! Bother Moony instead. 

Poor Moony's suffering the aftermath of his furry little problem, Prongs.

Hangout with Wormtail then. Leave us alone, you git!

Wormtail? Yeah right! He's probably locked out of the Gryffindor common room and waiting for someone to let him in. If I went there now, I'd be stuck listening to him moping and moaning about his homework and how he doesn't get it.

Don't be mean, Sirius. Peter can be entertaining...occasionally.

Exactly my point, Lily. Pretend I'm not here. Just continue snogging ol' Prongs' daylights out.

*Prongs and Padfoot in a scuffle*

Alright, alright, I'm leaving, sheesh! I can see how it is, Prongs. Ever since Lily flower here agreed to go out with you, you forgot that you even have a best friend. *weeps*

Get over it, Padfoot.

Bye Sirius!

That was the end of the notes, and Harry found himself laughing aloud at the silly antics of his parents. He had forgotten that his parents had also been students at Hogwarts at one time, students just like anyone else. Their tone of voice reminded him of Fred and George. Had they too been mischievous?

Harry read the notes again and realized that this Padfoot, or Sirius as his mother had called him, called his father Prongs. That must have been his father's nickname. What did Prongs and Padfoot mean, and who were Moony and Wormtail? His mother had called Wormtail Peter, and by the tone of Padfoot's writing, Peter seemed like Neville Longbottom, although Harry liked Neville more than Padfoot seemed to like this Peter.

Harry closed his eyes and envisioned the scene as it must have happened. His parents were clearly bending the rules by snogging in the forbidden forest, and they were interrupted by this Sirius/Padfoot, who could not help but tease them mercilessly. His father and Padfoot got into a friendly scuffle, and his father won, forcing Padfoot to return to the forest where he had to endure Peter's company. 

Opening his eyes again, Harry knew he'd be coming back to this tree regularly. He just had to show Ron and Hermione what his parents and their friends had written! Suddenly, he felt an urge to find out more about his parents' school days. Surely he could ask his professors about them, for many of them had taught his parents as well. For some reason, he felt they wouldn't know their nicknames, so he'd ask about Sirius and Peter, friends of Lily and James Potter, and whoever that Moony was. In fact, Harry could ask Hagrid, who knew just about anything and anyone at Hogwarts.

Just as he thought of Hagrid, he heard the latter's voice calling out for him. 

"Hagrid, I'm here!" Harry yelled out, no longer scared of the forest or its darkness.

"Harry, where'd ya go off to?"

Relief washed over Hagrid's face as he beheld the boy who had grown very close to his heart. He hadn't known how to face Professor Dumbledore should he have lost Harry.

"Oh Harry, thank God you're alright!" Hermione cried out, running to hug him tightly.

"Sorry for frightening you, Hermione, Hagrid, I lost the path and didn't know how to find my way back," Harry said.

"Well, yer fine and that's what matters," Hagrid muttered, "Come on, ya two, we still haven't found da unicorn!"

Harry and Hermione scuttled after Hagrid, Harry mentally marking the place where he'd found the special tree. He would bring Hermione and Ron later, for he knew now was not the time to bring up his parents or their friends. In the midst of all that had happened, he'd forgotten that he still had a detention to serve. 

BornThisWay thumbnail
e n t r y  e i g h t

by

Shadow-Fax

The fiery darkness drenching our souls with fear, the screaming owls paired very well with the scary shrieks of our hearts, as we strode towards the forbidden forest at a formidable dusk. It was rather Malfoy's pranks which unnerved poor Neville that he scampered across the dampened snow frost woods, towards Hagrid and the rest of us. 

"Hagrid... Aargh..,!" Neville squealed limping across the snow. 

"Neville, what's wrong?" I asked a literally shivering Neville, his round face contorted with fear, dusting off the snow sticking on his face and palms.

"You alright, Neville?" Hermione enquired in an anxious tone.

"Hagrid..., I heard voices... I can't go with..." He paused without completing his sentence. As if answering his unfinished phrase Malfoy appeared behind a trembling Neville. Hagrid who could comprehend the circumstance very well, swapped Neville with me to accompany Malfoy into the jungle. 

"Harry, you better go with Malfoy, be careful. Please look and alert me for any sight of  wounded unicorn, ok?" He said in a serious voice. As an afterthought, he added, "Do something, take Fang along with you!" He murmured casting a suspicious glance at the blonde haired Malfoy. I merely nodded and walked away calling Fang for company. 

"Fang, this way!" As I approached a large beech tree, I sighted few red leaves of the tree, and my sight scanned above the tree and landed on a big red bird perched on one if its large branches. I drew closer to have a closer look at the weird bird. The red bird's tiny eyeballs noticed me, its head moved back and forth for a few moments before taking flight upwards to the sky. 

"That's one curious looking, bird it is...!" I muttered to myself, before turning back to smirking Draco. 

"Potter, you think you're safe with this big haired moron and his dog? " Malfoy sneered in his typical drawling voice enraging me drastically with his taunt on Hagrid. 

"Malfoy, shut up, and if you call Hagrid a moron once more, I'll break you neck, mind you!" I shot back at him.

"You'll break my neck, no way, you scared potter! Coward potter!" He kept snarling at me, when we nearing a large tree, and beneath its many branches, was a dark hooded figure, kneeling down, poring at a white creature., which I recognized to be a wounded unicorn, since Hagrid had described before. As fang's barks grew feeble, the hooded creature turned around, To my utter horror, the white blood of the wounded unicorn was dripping down all its front. 

"Aargh...!" Malfoy screamed and scampered away along with fang, leaving me all alone facing that deadly creature, who had just been drinking the poor unicorn's blood. 

"Fang... Stop... !" I shouted at their rapidly retreating figures. 

"Wheee...! The hooded figure came gliding towards me, my hands went Instanter to grasp my wand. I grabbed it and stood outstretching it at front, and startlingly with my scar thronging harder. 

"Harry..." I could hear Hagrid's petrified squeal from afar. And then, out of nowhere, 
Professor Dumbledore hopped before me, shooting a spell across the dreadful creature, making it scamper away with dread. 

"Professor Dumbledore, what was that creature, sir?" I enquired with bated breath, clutching my scar which was still throbbing in pain. 

"Harry, are you alright?" Dumbledore asked giving me a hand to erect me up. Hagrid, Hermione, Neville came marching towards us in haste looking worried, closely followed by a sneering Malfoy. 

"Harry, what happened?" Hermione asked looking scared. 

"Are you fine, Harry, professor Dumbledore, what happened, sir?" Hagrid asked 

"Hagrid, calm down! Nothing happened to Harry! " Professor Dumbledore assured Hagrid. 

"But what was that thing, professor?" I repeated once again staring at professor Dumbledore., He surveying stared at me for a moment, straightening up his askew half moon spectacle. 

"Harry, that's a terrible creature, which has the cruelty to endanger many other lives to protect his own dear life...! No wonder he's living a half life!" He said.

"Half life...?" Hermione interjected with an appalled look.

"That means neither dead nor living, Ms.Granger!" Dumbledore said in a painful voice. He cleaned the wounds of the unicorn in a flip of his wand, And appointed Hagrid to escort Hermione, Neville and Malfoy to their dormitory and tend the poor animal. He accompanied me to the castle personally as an extra precaution. Before parting, I voiced my contemplating notions to Dumbledore.

"Professor, why do you think that poor creature chose such a half life, sir?" I queried.

"It's so complicated to explain in one day to you, Harry! But I'd like to put it this way, that creature never came across the term called "Love" all its life! If you ask me more than dreadful that creature is pitiable!" He said with a twinkle of his eye. His reply was more intriguing than a simple transfiguration spell I've ever learnt in Hogwarts all year. 

Before I could pester at his complicated reply, the big red weird looking bird cane swishing around landing on Dumbledore's shoulder gently. 

"Sir... What's this bird called? I happen to see such a weird bird for the first time in my life.!" I questioned curiously.

"Harry, this is Fawkes, it happens to be a Phoenix! And this is no weirdo. As far as I know, it's one of the brightest of its kind. Which happens to have a strong analogy with you and also the dreadful creature which attacked the unicorn! In fact, it was Fawkes which alerted me of your peril!" He said in a mysterious tone., "But you can learn all about it later! It's time for bed now..., ! Tit,tit bedtime, Good night Children!" He uttered and sauntered off to the castle with Fawkes the Phoenix positioned on his shoulder. 

pontiacbandit thumbnail

e n t r y  t e n

by

Texie-Shady

"Katniss and Gale in the woods before the reaping"

In the woods waits the only person with whom I can be myself. Gale. I can feel the muscles in my face relaxing, my pace quickening as I climb the hills to our place, a rock ledge overlooking a valley. A thicket of berry bushes protects it from unwanted eyes. The same unwanted eyes which can lead us to trouble maybe a state of losing our lives . 

The sight of him waiting there brings on a smile. A smile that does not come out so easily , the smile of mine that extends from my lips to touch my cheeks , this smile of mine is really a rare sight to be seen even Gale says that I only smile when I am in the woods . 

"Hey, Catnip," called  Gale , again killing off my real name ,Katniss . It was all my fault , the first time I shared my name with him it was so soft and unclear that he heard Catnip . And this crazy lynx started to follow me around the woods calling me with the official nickname , Catnip . 
"Look what I shot," Gale hold up a loaf of bread with an arrow stuck in it which made me laugh. I took the bread near my nose as my nostrils took in the fragrance . A real bakery bread made for special occasion . 

"It is still warm "I said as I hold it tight . "So what did u give for this nice piece of bread , umm let me guess , your whole yesterday 's hunting ? "This line came out with some giggles of mine joined by his laugh as it echoed in the woods . I gave him a warning look which silenced his laugh and his face turned pale.

"It just took me a squirrel "he had put on a smile on his face. "The old man was being sentimental early in the morning , he even wished me luck ! "

I did not say anything just pulled out the cheese Prim had left . Gale looked at me pointing his eyes and then smiled again as I said , "prim left cheese for us "

"Thanks Prim for this wonderful treat " his hands went around and plucked out some blackberries. 

I pope some into my mouth taking in the juicy taste . My mother said once that a boy lips can be just as juicy as a berry , I always wonder if that was true or not . At least I do not want to figure out so soon . I looked at Gale who was now cutting the bread into pieces with his knife , he bit his lower lip as he did so . The thought again came back to my mind . The thought of kissing someone , yeah maybe Gale ...the thought even had not landed from in my brain before I sent it away . 

Kissing someone and that too Gale ! Seriously , never in my wildest dream . Gale could be my brother actually,  he has the same straight black hair , olive skin and we have the same grey eyes . 

I was lost in my thoughts when his voice as a medium rang to connect me back to reality . I quickly looked at him as he spoke out . 

"Hey Catnip what u thinking ? Thinking of living in woods with me "though joke the words marked up in my mind . 

"What ? "I repeated again . 

"We should do it . U know leave the district , run away to the woods and live here . Somewhere where we are ourselves ! "He said he opened his arms and inhaled some fresh wooden air ! 

"Fantastic idea ! And nice dream . But only dream once cause they can be even hearing your dream and who knows maybe u will get to pay off your living for this insane dream of yours "I said in a dead clean tone but he did not actually listen to me ! Oh Gale ! Why does not he ever listen to anyone when he is speaking ! I hate it . 

"We could do it , yeah if only we did not have so many kids !"he replied shaking his head . 

We actually do not have kids ! But they might as well be. Gale's two little brothers and a sister. Prim. And you may as well throw in our mothers, too, because how would they live without us? Who would fill those mouths that are always asking for more? With both of us hunting daily, there are still nights when game has to be swapped for lard or shoelaces or wool, still nights when we go to bed with our stomachs growling.

"You know I really want to have some kids . I mean of my own . "He added . Gale lip's parted as he said that and again joined . The previous thought again hit my head as I pinched it back . 

I quickly distracted my mind from his lips to what his lips where saying . Kids , if he wants kids, Gale won't have any trouble finding a wife. He's good-looking, he's strong enough to handle the work in the mines, and he can hunt. You can tell by the way the girls whisper about him when he walks by in school that they want him. It makes me jealous but not for the reason people would think. Good hunting partners are hard to find.

Not actually jealous of anything else . And I swear to that . I m really not jealous of the lips thing or something I will feel,  really . 

This thought was getting weird so again I shift my mind to my kids ! Ummm I would not actually mind having kids . Especially with Gale , though u know it has not been long we met . Our kids would have both our features . His eyes , my hair , our skin and yes of course to add to the top they would be good looking plus with hunting skills and a good one . 

By this time he had looked at me a dozens of times and changed a decade of expressions . I just do not like this is all so I end it up saying , 

"I never want to have kids "the lie of my life . "So lets change the topic , what do u want to do ?"my this question means whether to hunt , fish or gather . 

"Let's hunt "he gives out then answer I want . Some times I hate it when he understands me so well . 

I did not say anything just nodded . Suddenly the bushes nearby started to move and the sound of someone moving in the shredded autumn leaves rang between our ears and mind . We both looked at each other and nodded . 
We stayed still for sometime as we heard a creature drinking water from the nearby pond . I slowly walked behind the tree and gale near the big bush placed perfectly between the pond and the wood by Mother Nature . 

I saw a young dear drinking out from the pond and a smile formed across my cheeks . I looked back at gale and I smiled at him assuring him that we had it . 
The young deer  walked out slowly away from the pond as I grabbed some arrows and grabbed my bow tightly . 

"Now ! "I shouted to Gale and it frightened the young dear and made him move quick but my arrows got this leg and Gale got him from behind . He quickly hit the deer with his  knife  in its back and when it stopped struggling he took it out with my arrow. 

I cleaned the arrow and washed away the blood which marked it . I looked at gale  ,who by now had finished all the left work with the deer . 

We make out well. The predators ignore us on a day when easier, tastier prey abounds. By late morning, we have a dead deer . a bag of greens and, best of all, a gallon of strawberries and other berries . I found the patch a few years ago, but Gale had the idea to string mesh nets around it to keep out the animals.

BornThisWay thumbnail
e n t r y  e l e v e n

by

Laugh.Out.Loud

"Augustus Waters' pre-funeral."

"He wants me to write a eulogy for him, you know Mom? He freaking wants me to write a eulogy for him! And you want me to spend the night with you? No way mom. No way. Because maybe this might be the last night I will ever spend with him." And just like that, my eyes well up. Even the mere thought of Augustus dying terrifies me even when I know it's coming, it might be any second. But the tears come just like that, because he dying means the little infinity that we spent together dying too. With that would die, our okays. And with that would die a part of Hazel Grace Lancaster, the most-ever-alive part of her.

With the last few words, I leave my mom speechless. And she doesn't talk anymore. Because maybe, at that moment, the fact struck that it's just not Augustus Waters who is dying, but it's also a part of Hazel Grace. A part who made her seem like the irritating teenager in love at least for a little time. And maybe that hurt, because I see my mom cry too. And my dad cries with her. And I get out of my house. 

Ten minutes after 8, I reach the Literal Heart of Jesus. I take the elevator literally dragging the oxygen cart with me. When the elevator doors open, I see Agaustus' wheelchair right infront of it. "Hazel Grace, you're late." He tells me. I do not reply because for the first time, the diseased skinny Augustus Waters stuns me to speechlesness. He looks beautiful. His tee is too loose for his shrunk body and and his muscles are almost gone. He has been growing into a live skeleton. But today the spark in his eyes has come back. His eyes are shining, a gladness in his eyes makes him look yummy. And very evidently, my body starts getting attracted towards him. I hold his hands and we wheel forward. At the Literal Heart of Jesus, I see Issac waiting for us. 

"Hey Issac" I tell him. He replies "Hey Hazel", and waves right at me. I feel happy he is getting used to being blind and getting used to identifying from where the sound comes. And for some reason, I see him smiling more widely today.

"Hazel, come on. Be seated. How can you come late for Gus' pre funeral? And you call yourself, his girlfriend? You agree or not, I am eulogising first."

"Wow Augustus! Today is you pre funeral? And why that? And why today? " I fold my hands and ask him. Of course, he is just the person who will invite people and conduct a prefuneral. Probably because he wants to attend it when he is not a ghost. Whatever. But Augustus Waters funeral is a day I dread. I was getting practice for that, great.

"Oh come on, Hazel. You do know I wanna stand out and be different in every aspect of my life." He tells. His mouth and hands moving in perfect synchronisation. I nod and take my seat after taking Issac to the podium. For some moments, I stare at Augustus Waters. Correction: I admire him, how perfect he is as a creation of God. 

"Hello everyone. I am Issac, a friend of Gus. I don't have much to speak here, cause the life of Augustus waters was an open book, and anyone who has known him could never stop themselves from admiring him. Most of us know that Augustus had an intention and wish of leaving a mark in the world before going away and very unfortunately, he thinks he couldn't live that much but tell you one thing Gus, you did leave a mark, a mark in the hearts of us, a few of us. And trust me, that mark would live in my heart till I live. Because I know you were special. And all of us know you are, in the present tense because you might be dead or whatever but you continue to be special. You might expect me to cry right now, but no, because Gus won't like it..  "

He doesn't cry like he has revised this moment so many times that he has learned to hold back the tears as well. But this is my first time, so I cry. Little by little. Without sobs. Just tears, I cry like a grown up girl.

He continues, "Instead I would like to use this moment to thank two people. One, the star of the day, Gus, for being a star. I would sit depressed on being blind and he would just storm into my life like being blind makes me a legend. Thanks for being the eyes I lost, Gus. And when you are gone, I will turn emotionally blind as well. But you were great, even when you were a self aggrandizing interrupting bas***d, you were great."

"And then there is this person whom I would like to thank on behalf of Gus. Because she was the star of his life. They tell everything that happens, happens for a reason. And he thinks, the reason he was born was to meet Hazel Grace, use his wish on her, spend a forever with her and Finally become someone who will be remembered for what he was, not for what he would have become. Thank you Hazel, Gus loves you. I am glad your infinity existed in the best way possible."

Now I stop crying with tears and start sobbing. Because of reasons like 1) I was in my boyfriends funeral (pre or whatever) 2) and I just got a special mention who called me a star. Great. Now how on earth am I going to eulogise? 

I look at Gus and he smirks at me. Like this was his way of being different. Calling a prefuneral and letting his love know he loves her and smirking like a bad boy. He was weird.

I get up and sits head to head with him. He asks me, "Aren't you going to read out your eulogy Hazel Grace? "

And I reply with a smirk, "No Augustus Waters, I am going to kiss you."

I lean in and let our lips entwine. People do not describe it right. It's not passionate or slow or soothing. It's quick and hot and sizzling and burning. But as always, I like it. But I don't think he does because I don't feel him returning the kiss. I feel like he is backing up and very soon, I have to separate my lips from his. His eyes have become bigger than normal and he is sweating. The blood in his eyes is more evident now. "What's wrong Augustus? " I ask him. He doesn't reply. I check his pulse. Slow and pale. Hardly there.

I can feel Issac's walking stick behind me and he asks me what's happening. But mostly everything is a blur. I grab my phone and dial 911. I never leave his hand. It's becoming more sweaty and cold. I don't know, whose hand is sweating more. I throw the phone away after I make the call. And I look into his eyes again. They are slowly giving away. I can feel it too well.

"Augustus, you are not dying okay? This moment is too perfect for that. I have my eulogy waiting for you, okay? You gotta listen to it. Do you even know what will become of me if you go away like that? Who will I lose Price of Dawn to? With whom will I talk An imperial Affliction? With whom will I sit in the Support Group meetings Augustus? Who will I admire smoking but not actually smoking? Whose metaphoric love will I blame? Who will I kiss dude? With whom will I fall in love? That's it. You are not going away, get that? You are going to stay with me, okay?"

There is silence for a moment and then his lips start moving. He musters up all his energy to finally get the sound out. 

"Okay."

And just like that, his eyes close never to open again.