Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sowmyaa thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
[quote=abhijit]
If anyone deserves benefit of doubt here, it is Madonna. The worst you can say about her is she is not dong anyone a favor. To me though it appears that she is offering to be beneficial to the child, to the father and the orphanage.
[/quote]

I totally agree with you here!Edited by sowmyaa - 17 years ago
Cordelia thumbnail
for the amount of money it cost to fly Madonna over to Malawi in her private jet, she could have given that child's entire village better lighting / heating facilities, or clean water, or tools to educate themselves.

instead she has chosen to rip that young child away from his home and family and bring them into a completely different world (covered in a blanket i might add!!) where they will live a life divorced from reality, always the subject of media-hounding and public curiousity.

she seems to be confusing "benevelonce" with "publicity stunt".
lighthouse thumbnail

Originally posted by: Cordelia

for the amount of money it cost to fly Madonna over to Malawi in her private jet, she could have given that child's entire village better lighting / heating facilities, or clean water, or tools to educate themselves.

instead she has chosen to rip that young child away from his home and family and bring them into a completely different world (covered in a blanket i might add!!) where they will live a life divorced from reality, always the subject of media-hounding and public curiousity.

she seems to be confusing "benevelonce" with "publicity stunt".

Very well put Cordelia... My points exactly... I am more of Bill and Melinda Gates foundation fan then celebs adopting to stay in the news.

Dr Abhijit- Maddona does not have to do anything, she wants to. How else could she stay in the news at 48 with dwindling career.

Chalo with the kid already in London the deed is done. One kid got lucky😛 when 100, 200 or 500 could have benefited 😕.

On a lighter note ComedyCentral's Daily show (a news sattire pgm) covered the adoption by showing the kid arrive at Heathrow Airport with his luggage -- 3 African nannies...   They also had an analyst a la CNN who btw happened to be African American saying African American orphans have no chance against African kids coz it costs 12 cents a day to feed African Kid!!!! (For the unitiated , Ads on TV about sponsoring kids from Africa have a slogan that it costs less then a $ a day to sponsor one kid)

We have outsourced orphans, he ended.

sowmyaa thumbnail

Originally posted by: lighthouse

Very well put Cordelia... My points exactly... I am more of Bill and Melinda Gates foundation fan then celebs adopting to stay in the news.

Dr Abhijit- Maddona does not have to do anything, she wants to. How else could she stay in the news at 48 with dwindling career.

Chalo with the kid already in London the deed is done. One kid got lucky😛 when 100, 200 or 500 could have benefited 😕.

On a lighter note ComedyCentral's Daily show (a news sattire pgm) covered the adoption by showing the kid arrive at Heathrow Airport with his luggage -- 3 African nannies... They also had an analyst a la CNN who btw happened to be African American saying African American orphans have no chance against African kids coz it costs 12 cents a day to feed African Kid!!!! (For the unitiated , Ads on TV about sponsoring kids from Africa have a slogan that it costs less then a $ a day to sponsor one kid)

We have outsourced orphans, he ended.

I totally agree with you guys. It totally make sense to rather sponsore thousands other kids rather than spending such money on one kid.

However, key thing here is it's HER money. Her earned money. It would be like judging neighbour on how he or she spend money on clothes and not education. But I do agree that it is publicity stunt for sure. Also, if she really cared, I am sure you can be anonymous donor and help these children. But again, it's individual choice.
lighthouse thumbnail

Originally posted by: abhijit shukla

Once again. You or I don't know that THAT is her motive. We are not in her head!

True.. But we are talking about a celebrity here and I am sure she is appreciative of the publicity it got much less be offended by the furor it created.

And the publicity came from all the people - who had no business objecting to it - artifically inserting themselves into situation.

I am just quoting from the article you posted earlier. Granted it is a redundent law but it is a law after all which was waived for Maddona.

"Last week, Malawi's High Court granted Madonna and Ritchie an interim adoption order giving them custody of the boy for 18 months. Madonna's New York-based publicist, Liz Rosenberg, said that during that time, the couple would be "evaluated by the courts of Malawi per the tribal customs of the country."

The order waived a Malawian law requiring would-be parents to live in the country for a year while social welfare officers investigate their ability to care for a child.

Human rights and child protection groups were challenging the custody order in court in Malawi's capital, Lilongwe. They said they wanted to ensure that child-protection regulations were not swept aside to benefit a singer who has been generous to Malawi."

Madonna could generate publicity a thousand different ways -she has for three decades.

Perhaps this is one of the ways in my view.

Like Sowmyaa said, it is her money.

That is what I tell my husband when eats bad food- It is your body.😆

sowmyaa thumbnail
Father: I didn't wanted Madonna adoption

LIPUNGA, Malawi (Reuters) -- The father of the Malawian boy Madonna plans to adopt added a fresh twist to the saga, saying he never intended his son to be adopted by the pop diva, but only for her to raise the child on his behalf.

In an interview with Reuters Television in his home village of Lipunga on Saturday, Yohane Banda said Madonna asked that she be able to raise his one-year-old son on his behalf, rather than that the child should become her own.

Banda's statement is a major shift from his earlier remarks last week when he railed against human rights groups that have gone to court to stop Madonna from adopting his son David.

"Had they told us that Madonna wanted to adopt my son and make him her own son, we would not have agreed to that," Banda said in his local language of Chichewa.

"It would have been better for him to continue staying at the orphanage because I see no reason why my child should be given away forever when I can feed him," he said, speaking at his village of Lipunga near the Zambia border late on Saturday.

Madonna, 48, has angered rights groups with her plan to adopt young David Banda, who left his native country on Tuesday last week for the entertainer's home in London after she was granted temporary adoption rights by Malawi authorities.

The High Court in Lilongwe will on Friday start hearing the case lodged by the Human Rights Consultative Committee (HRCC), an alliance of 67 human rights groups, which argues current Malawi laws forbid international adoption, even by celebrities.

Banda told Reuters he signed papers he could not understand, but government officials assured him that the agreement was similar to what he had with the orphanage -- to nurture and educate the boy but not take him away for good.

"I cannot read and write so I relied on what the (government) officials told me that the papers said Madonna would look after the child the way the orphanage planned to educate him and then he comes back to me," Banda said.

Asked if he had any copies of the agreements he signed with Madonna, Banda said: "I am still waiting to get my copies."

He said the copies were still in the hands of the government officials who mediated the agreement. Banda said he would wait to see them before deciding what action to take after consultations with his mother and other family members.

Government officials were not immediately available to comment.

Banda said he gave the boy to the orphanage mainly for medical care and breast-feeding after the boy's mother died of malaria days after giving birth to him.

"We sent this child to an orphanage because at one month we could not look after him, we did not have a health center nearby and the orphanage was the ideal place for him," he said.

The American singer, who is married to British film director Guy Ritchie, hopes to make David a brother to her 10-year-old daughter Lourdes and son, Rocco, who is six. She has denied cutting corners to speed the adoption process.

David will stay abroad with Madonna for 18 months and be monitored by Malawi officials before final approval can be given for him to officially join her family.

Banda said people did not give him a chance to explain his position better because the media was only interested in knowing about David and Madonna.

"What we agreed with Madonna was that she looks after my child until he finishes school, becomes independent and comes back home to us," Banda said.

lighthouse thumbnail

Thanks Sowmyaa for posting the article. I heard about it this morning and was wondering who this child is better off with now... Maddona or his own Father?

It is sad that this boy's life is being played with money. I guess we haven't heard the end of the story yet. Edited by lighthouse - 17 years ago
Aparna_BD thumbnail

The father looks like an opportunist. He changes his story to make best gain out of the situation as it developes. Staty tuned. If there is one more twist in the story, he will change his stance again.
At this poing I say forget Madonna, the child will be better off with anyone BUT the father!

I agree with you 100% Abhijeet. I just broke my silence to say something on an issue that is extremely important in my life. I am a proud adoptive parent . When i was waiting for my daughter's adoption to get complete i was desperate to pull any strings that would help me speed up the process. I have full empathy with Madona who used her powers , if i had the same important status as Madona had i would never hesitated in using it.

I am also saddened by people who suspect her motive to adopt , as well Brad and Angelina's. Some people say how come Angelina gets her self photographhed more with her adoptive children rather than biological. If she had herself photographed more with her biological children they would have some thing to say too, as well as if they had photographed themselves with both adoptive and biological kids  they would still have passed comments. Why don't people take her for face value that she simply wanted to adopt from a poor country and give love and resources that she has to offer.😕

Madona has been a goddess of pop music since the 80's and doesnot need to do cheap stunts to gain publicity. She has remained in the limelight ever since and won't fade away untill she stops singing.(actually not even then........have we forgotten Elvis ?)

Some people said why doesn't Madona pay money to raise this child instead of adopting him/her. But why ?? Does Madona owe any one anything? She does give to charity and does her bit. If she wants to raise a child and give him a great life why can't that be appreciated ?
 Some one said that would not like to be removed from their birth parents and the culture. If the birth parents are "unfit parents" which this child's fatrher has proved he's unfit why should the child remain with the father if given a better parent to live with. Also who likes to live in extreme poverty BUT follow their own religon and culture and be neglected by the parents and not get even basic health and education facility ?? Its easier to comment i rather have my culture than loving responsible parents who will provide me with a good life.

This birth father is nothing but an opportunist. After the media and so called social workers that kicked a fuss about Madona speeding up the process , they would have obviously interacted with him and given him ideas. This man will change his tune as an when it suits him. Like Abhijeet said this child is better off with any one but this man !

Its easier to judge than try and empathise when one is not walking even one step in some one's shoes.

Edited by Aparna_BD - 17 years ago
lighthouse thumbnail

Originally posted by: Aparna_BD

It is sad that the kid is stuck between 2 ppl who have decided to use him as a pawn. Just because the father turned out to be an opportunist does not make Maddona any better.

I agree with you 100% Abhijeet. I just broke my silence to say something on an issue that is extremely important in my life. I am a proud adoptive parent . When i was waiting for my daughter's adoption to get complete i was desperate to pull any strings that would help me speed up the process. I have full empathy with Madona who used her powers , if i had the same important status as Madona had i would never hesitated in using it.

You have done most admirable thing in life by adopting a child. I have contemplated it and have friends who actualy went thru the gruesome process and longer wait just to get thru red tape and have brought a child into their homes and lives. My best friend managed to adopt an Indian baby from a single mother in New York!!!!!

I am also saddened by people who suspect her motive to adopt , as well Brad and Angelina's. Some people say how come Angelina gets her self photographhed more with her adoptive children rather than biological. If she had herself photographed more with her biological children they would have some thing to say too, as well as if they had photographed themselves with both adoptive and biological kids  they would still have passed comments. Why don't people take her for face value that she simply wanted to adopt from a poor country and give love and resources that she has to offer.😕

When the whole issue with this particular kid became controversial, Maddona could have moved onto another kid quietly. Orphans are waiting for adoption not too far from London even.

Madona has been a goddess of pop music since the 80's and doesnot need to do cheap stunts to gain publicity. She has remained in the limelight ever since and won't fade away untill she stops singing.

As I said before, Adoption is the most humane thing a person can do for man kind IMO. not a cheap stunt by any means.

Some people said why doesn't Madona pay money to raise this child instead of adopting him/her. But why ?? Does Madona owe any one anything? She does give to charity and does her bit. If she wants to raise a child and give him a great life why can't that be appreciated ?
 Some one said that would not like to be removed from their birth parents and the culture. If the birth parents are "unfit parents" which this child's fatrher has proved he's unfit why should the child remain with the father if given a better parent to live with. Also who likes to live in extreme poverty BUT follow their own religon and culture and be neglected by the parents and not get even basic health and education facility ?? Its easier to comment i rather have my culture than loving responsible parents who will provide me with a good life.

Sure providing basic needs to the child will ensure longer life but we need to preserve culture with life too... I was born in Africa and live in the USA and can't help but notice how different African Americans are inner cities then the poor Africans in Africa, loss of culture being most noticable aspect. African kids in poor remote areas prolly have never heard of drugs or Nike sneakers!!!!

This birth father is nothing but an opportunist. After the media and so called social workers that kicked a fuss about Madona speeding up the process , they would have obviously interacted with him and given him ideas. This man will change his tune as an when it suits him. Like Abhijeet said this child is better off with any one but this man !

Agreed.

Its easier to judge than try and empathise when one is not walking even one step in some one's shoes.

No one is judging adoption per say. Main stream adoption is not the same as celebrity adoption especially when it is done controversialy. The amount of money Maddona has spent could have been used to provide food and medicine to all kids in orphange where this boy came from.

sowmyaa thumbnail
Well said Aparna, I totally agree with you. You have good points when you say Madonna does not need cheep publicity. She has been in limelight since long.

However, about birthfather of this child. I have still not made my mind. I don't want to reach conclusion so fast. We being from India know how unedcuated and poor people can be tricked by rich and mighty and press and government agents at times. So he could have been asked to sign papers and then have been misinformed or whatever. He still does not have any adoption documentation in his hands. I think I will not hurry to judge father at this point. As some other member said, we still have to hear end of the story.Edited by sowmyaa - 17 years ago