ArHi SS-Seven Days *Complete*

Volturi thumbnail
Engager 1 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

ArHi SS: Seven Days

Author's  Note:

This is my first attempt at fan-fiction, indeed, my first attempt at writing of any sort. 
This story is going to be posted in seven parts over the next four weeks. Unfortunately,since I can log into IF only to post this story, I will be unable to answer any PMs/ Scraps/ Buddy requests etc.

A word of warning: this isn't a story for the fainthearted. If you are looking for perfection and sunshine, then this certainly isn't the place for you. This plot is something that has taken over my mind, until I have no option but to type it all out.
Criticism of all kinds is more than welcome.

So here we go, scroll down for the short prologue. Chapter One will follow on Sunday.

Prologue

The first thing that was noticed was the absence of sound.

After the commotion that had preceded it, the unnatural stillness drew everyone's attention.
It particularly held and captured one intense gaze, eyes widening as  they struggled to understand...to believe.

Those eyes had seen a lot, during their lifetime.

They had seen power and greed, defeat and betrayal.

Lust, love and momentary happiness hadn't been strangers to that gaze either.

Memories and the past, reality and the present...it all collided in those darkened eyes.

The visual proof was compelling, but the mind had shut down completely, refusing to see what was evident to all.

Because if reality was allowed to enter, even for a short while, everything would fall apart.

Reality was a witness to the fact that this wasn't love or power or lust.

This wasn't anything those eyes had ever seen before.

Reality was that this was the beginning...of the end.

Index:

Edited by Volturi - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

zayana123 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
It sound really Interesting... Eagerly waiting 4 the start... :)
Love.life2 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Nice .
Bt pls elaborate. 

Javeria3991 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
nice start 
looking forward to read the story
Downhill thumbnail
simply superb
loved it'
MrsKhan-Sobti thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Interesting start...waiting for more! :)
Volturi thumbnail
Engager 1 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail

Prologue- Page 1

Chapter One

Everything was a blur.

The passing traffic...the palms...even the brief glimpse of the crystal blue water when the car passed over the bridge.

Everything was a blur, and had been for some hours now. 

For the woman sitting in the backseat, nothing registered-- not even the million dollar view that unfolded before her.

The dimming rays of the sun glinted off the white and red hues of the mansion perched almost on the edge of the cliff, and a few streaks even reached the Alexander McQueen dress draped on her fragile frame. As the car made its way down the narrowing path that led to the wrought-iron gates of the estate, her eyes remained blank behind the dark glasses that veiled her from the world.

Soon the car was slowing down, waiting for the electronic gates to register its presence before swinging open, allowing it to speed down the tree-lined path that ended in a cobblestone courtyard.

She said nothing even when the driver jumped down to open the door for her, nor when she saw the housekeeper standing at the entrance, awaiting her orders.

Her heels clicked against the marble floor as she entered, then walked towards the massive central staircase, still saying nothing.

There was nothing to say, of course. 

By now, the entire world was aware of what had occurred in the packed courthouse this afternoon, but she was trying very hard not to think of that.

Traversing the hallway, she finally reached the suite of rooms that she now belonged only to her. Closing the door behind her, she finally wilted, allowing the weight of the day's events to finally register.

Her entire body rebelled against the movement, the muscles refusing to relax.

Throwing her handbag down on the floor with scant regard for its designer label, she kicked off her heels and stripped down to her underwear before walking swiftly towards the en-suite bathroom. For an instant, her gaze went towards the tub, but then she shook her head.

She wasn't in the mood for luxuries tonight.

Stepping into the shower, she turned the settings to cold, and then stood there while the frigid water drenched her from head to foot.

Hours passed...or maybe it was just minutes, she didn't really know.

Her skin felt like ice when she stepped out, and she listlessly reached for a towel before wrapping herself in a bathrobe and heading back into the bedroom. Lying down on the king-sized bed with her hair dripping wet, her eyes glazed over as she stared at the ceiling.

Her trance was broken with a sound from her discarded handbag. Looking down at it, she realized that it was her phone, vibrating with all its might, reminding her that there were still people...and a world outside.

Her voice was scratchy when she answered. 

"Anjali? What the hell do you want?"

There was a stunned silence at the other end, but she didn't care. 

Today she cared about nothing.

"I was just calling to see how you were doing. I've handled the press, but if there's something you need, I'll be happy to..."

"The press? Weren't they done at court?"

A strained laugh came down the line. "Hardly. My phone's been ringing off the hook; everyone wants an inside scoop. And it's only a matter of time before they land at your doorstep. Haven't you even watched the news?"

That stiffened her body, bringing her upright as she swiveled to face the hidden flat screen.

"I don't particularly care to see my face splashed across national television. Not anymore."

"I know that. And I also know how much you want all this to just go away. But it isn't going to happen. We have to figure out a strategy, you saw how it was on the steps leading out of that courthouse..."

She continued speaking, but the woman in the bathrobe wasn't listening anymore. Allowing her lashes to veil her hazel eyes, she fell back on the bed as sounds and images from this afternoon rushed back at her, relentless as the tides that washed against the rocky beach outside.

"Now that your divorce is final, should we revert to calling you 'Ms.Gupta'?"

"Is it true that your husband's family joined him in the fight to deny you your rights?"

"What are you planning to do with the massive settlement you've just won?"

"Is your decision to quit your job final?"

"Are you satisfied now that you have all but bankrupted him?"

"Are you ever going to tell the world the name of the woman he was having an affair with?"

That last question had almost made her laugh at the time. The closed-door hearings meant that the reporters outside didn't really know all the details of what had been revealed inside that courtroom. They were only privy to the final outcome-- and the rest was all speculation.

But now as the questions reverberated inside her head, nausea arose in her throat.

And suddenly, there was only thing she wanted...one thing she needed with a desperation that wouldn't be ignored.

"Anjali."

The force of will apparent in that one, softly-spoken word made the other woman pause.

"Yes?"

"I am giving you autonomy to deal with this as you see fit. Whatever statements you decide to release, I will stand by them. But for now, there's only thing I ask-- leave me alone."

"But..."

"No. I don't want to hear it. I pay you an exorbitant salary just for occasions like this, so do your damn job and leave me the hell alone, until I call you myself!"

Cutting the call, she flung the phone aside, only to be jerked upright yet again by the soft knock on her door.

A moment later, her housekeeper entered. Holding a tray laden with food, she walked over to the nightstand and placed it there.

"I didn't think you'd want to come down for dinner, so I..."

"You are dismissed."

The woman's eyes flashed with fear.

"What? But Ma'am, I..."

"Oh don't worry, I'm not firing you. I just want you gone. For the next few days. And don't come back until I call you. And that goes for the rest of the staff as well. Including the driver."

"Even the...security guard?"

"Especially him. Make sure that's taken care of, will you?"

"But Ma'am, it's not safe for you to..."

"There's a security system around this place that could guard a bank, and you know that as well as I do. Now, get yourself out of here and make sure that everyone is out of the house in half an hour, or I will fire you."

There was a moment of indecision, and then the housekeeper nodded before walking out quickly.

The woman on the bed pushed away the tray, then discarded her bathrobe and walked over to the closet. Pulling out the first thing she saw, she shrugged into the soft white t-shirt, and paired it with a floral skirt that was entirely inappropriate for the season.

But like all else, she was indifferent to that fact.

After a half hour had passed, she opened her door, walked down the stairs and out another door until she reached the small, enclosed garden behind the house. The sound of the pounding surf mingled with the cry of the seagulls, but she paid it no heed.

Her eyes were blind to the beauty around her, and even as she turned to look back at the house, they failed to register its magnificence.

The mansion would have to be sold, of course.

Not because she couldn't handle the memories attached to this place...that was not going to be an issue. The real reason was that she had never liked this place nor what it represented.

The proximity to the beach had been its saving grace, but she could easily find that elsewhere.

For a while, she walked aimlessly around the garden, only returning as dusk fell.

Her stomach growled, reminding her that she had eaten nothing since her hurried breakfast before leaving for the court.

Her steps stilled.

Why was she bathing in cold water and denying herself any food?

She wasn't the one who needed punishment here.

The role of victim didn't suit her either, and once again, she fought against that feeling of being adrift in a sea of uncertainty, unable to cling to anything substantial.

Running her hands through her damp hair, she pulled out a bottle of sparkling water from the fridge, then drank most of it in one long swallow. Her eyes then fell on a plate of sliced fruit, and she sat down at the dining table, forcing herself to eat some.

When she was done, a wave of fatigue overwhelmed her.

Feeling as if all her energy had drained out of her body, she sagged against the dining table. Knowing that its hard, unwelcoming surface was no place to take  a much-needed nap, she forced herself to walk out to the living room, then dropped down onto the leather sofa.

In seconds, she was asleep, her hair spread out over the black cushions.

-

9:00 PM

Amid the hazy, swirling images in her dreams, one soft sound stood out as foreign.

She resisted opening her eyes, knowing that it was probably something inconsequential.

But even through the mist of sleep, her senses registered that something was off.

They sensed a...presence.

And she knew that was impossible. There was no one else here but her...was there?

On that thought, she jolted to complete wakefulness.

It was dark. So dark that she couldn't see her own feet.

She stumbled off the sofa and felt her way to the small corner table next to it. Turning on the lamp, she waited for a few seconds for her eyes to adapt to the sudden onslaught of light.

When she could finally focus, she spun around in a circle. Nothing seemed to be out of place.

The living room appeared as it always did-- classic furniture and abstract art-- something else she had always hated.

She rubbed her eyes and decided that they could use some cold water to get rid of the grimy feeling.

As she walked to the restroom, she stilled with a sudden realization.

Not everything was as it should be.

Swinging around to face the front door, she registered the absence of the blinking red light beside the mahogany door.

The light that should have indicated that the security system was armed... that light was off.

Her thoughts went back to her agitated state when she had walked out to the garden earlier in the day. She must have forgotten to reset the alarm after coming back inside.

Shaking her head, she walked over to the alarm and quickly turned it on. Returning to her original destination, she washed her face rapidly, then stilled yet again.

That persistent sense of unease just wouldn't leave her.

Suddenly, she was conscious of the remote location of this house...and the fact that she was here alone.

An unassailable need to reach her phone overtook her at that moment.

Whirling around, she dashed out of the restroom and ran up the stairs. 

As she reached her room, she realized that it was pitch dark here as well.

Turning on the lights as she went, she looked down at the floor, expecting to find her phone where she'd thrown it earlier.

It wasn't there.

Panic clawed at her as she rummaged among the bedclothes and then turned to search the rest of the room.

She couldn't find it.

The silver glint of the land-line caught her eye and she reached for it in desperation, aware that she was overreacting to something that probably had no cause.

But the unease just wouldn't be conquered.

Raising the receiver, she started to dial the first person she could think of.

There was no dial tone.

Her eyes widening in astonishment and the beginnings of fear, she swung back towards the door, the need to escape overwhelming her.

Almost falling down the stairs in her haste, she ran over to the cabinet where all the car keys were stored when not in use.

She would drive herself over to a hotel, and then she'd call Anjali who would reassure her and maybe check the mansion out before she ret--

Her thoughts stumbled to a halt when her eyes caught a glimpse of a shadow behind her...a hint of movement that should not have been there.

She stopped short in blind terror as she realized that she had been right all along.

There was someone else in the house beside her.

And then she heard a low, cold voice that turned the blood in her veins to ice.

"Don't move. I have a gun trained on you. I don't want to use it, so don't force my hand."

She said nothing, her limbs beginning to shake as the tremors started in earnest.

"Turn around slowly, and keep your hands above your head."

She did nothing, unable to command her limbs.

It was beyond her comprehension that this could be happening to her...

"Now!"

The sharp word jolted her and she slowly raised her hands above her head, turning to face the stranger for the very first time.

Dread wove its icy tentacles around her as she registered the gun pointing straight at her, held in the unwavering hand of a man dressed in all black.

His face was covered in a ski mask, and only his eyes were visible. 

And those brown eyes were cold...cold as death.

"Walk over to that chair and sit down there."

Unable to tear her eyes away from the gun, she walked over on trembling legs to the chair he had indicated.

In an instant, he was behind her. Drawing her hands behind the chair, he secured them quickly with what appeared to be a curtain tieback.

And that threw her.

So this wasn't a premeditated robbery of some sort? If he was improvising with things from her own home, it couldn't be...

The question broke through the cobwebs of fear that seemed to have over her head, and she rushed into speech.

"What...what do you want?"

He straightened behind her.

"Nothing that you can give me, I'm afraid."

She sucked in her breath.

What the hell did that mean?

"Look, if it's cash you're after, there's really not much in the house. I do have jewels, though, and I can tell you where..."

"Save your breath. I told you, there's nothing here that I want."

"Then why are..."

He moved to face her, and the words died in her throat.

Towering over her seated form, he was at least six feet tall. The gun was no longer in his hand, but that didn't make him any less intimidating. 

The dead look in his eyes was enough to ensure that she shrank back in her seat, her fingers twisting against their restraints.

He stared at her for a long, long moment, and then turned away abruptly. 

"I need to make a call."

-

9:45 PM

She stared at his broad back, her eyes jumping from his still form to the gun, which was placed tantalizingly close.

There was no way she could reach it, of course.

As the fear dimmed, the sense of survival that had always stood her in good stead regained control. She began examining and discarding various options, realizing that there were very few.

There was no point in yelling for help. Her nearest neighbor was over a mile away. And after her strict instructions to all her staff, no one would be coming by the mansion any time soon.

Had he known that?

Was that why he had come in, because she was here all by herself?

But that didn't make any sense. After all, he hadn't once tried to harm her...yet.

Neither had he tried to steal anything from the house.

All he had done since tying her up was hold a low-voiced conversation with someone using her phone. For a while now, he had stood by the French windows that looked out on to an impeccably manicured lawn, his back to her as he conducted his conversation in a tone that didn't reach her ears.

The interval had given her the chance to regroup. Marshaling all her strength, she had forced herself to calm down and think logically, and it had worked. Terror still lurked in the background, but it wasn't as overwhelming as before.

She needed to get help, she knew that. But she also knew that she needed to get out of these restraints first. And in order to do that, she needed to talk to him, find out his motives. She had no idea if he would even say anything, but it was her only realistic hope. And through it all, she hoped that she did not enrage him, turning him into the sort of captor that he hadn't been--so far, at least.

Biding her time until he was done with his call, she forced herself to take deep breaths, keeping her eyes fixed on his back.

She began thinking about various ways in which she could begin questioning him, but her thoughts scattered when he suddenly cut the call and threw her phone down on the sofa, then leaned against the window sill, his shoulders slumping in defeat. For long moments, he did nothing.

For unknown reasons, her tension began to rise again. She suddenly felt extremely foolish for thinking that she could reason with him in any way. After all, what did she know about him? He was the man who had invaded her home, and here she was, imagining that he would just as easily set her free.

Her eyes wandered to the gun again. Whatever that phone call had been about, it hadn't ended on a positive note. That much was obvious. What if that incited him to harm her in some way?

That thought turned her cold again.

She closed her eyes, trying to keep herself from drowning in the well of panic again.

One deep breath...two deep breaths...

The sudden sound of shattering glass made her eyes fly open, and a strangled scream left her lips. Eyes widening in abject terror, she stared down at the remnants of the Lladro figurine at his feet. The porcelain statue had stood on the pedestal beside the window for as long as she had been here, and try as she might, she couldn't stop the shivers from starting up again as she looked down at the scattered fragments.

He was staring down at them too, his fists clenching and unclenching at his sides.

And then he looked up at her, and she felt as if she had been turned to stone.

The dark eyes that had been as cold as ice before, now burned with an unquenchable fire.

Reflexively, she shrank back in her seat.

Their eyes clashed, one gaze rife with horror and the other alight with fury.

For a long, tense moment, neither moved a muscle.

And then, as suddenly as he had entered, he turned around and walked out into the kitchen.

She took several deep, painful breaths, aware from glimpses she caught in the mirror above the fireplace that he was turning on lights in the kitchen.

She had no idea what had just happened, and no idea what he was now doing. For an insane moment, she debated calling after him, then clamped her lips shut.

Whatever the hell was eating at him-- she couldn't care less about the cause. All she wanted was the chance to talk to him, just once...and maybe try to reason her way out of this untenable situation. As crazy as the idea was, she knew that she had to try.

The only problem was, she never got the chance.

-

11:50 PM

Her eyes were burning with the effort it took to keep them trained on the mirror, but she couldn't afford to tear her gaze away. It was the only way she could keep track of what he had been doing behind her in the kitchen for the past two hours now.

As far as she could tell, he had been doing nothing but sit at the breakfast counter, his head held in his hands. He would occasionally look at her phone, then go back to staring down at his hands. Only once had he gotten up, to take something from the fridge.

Close on the heels of that thought, she realized that her own throat felt parched, and her stomach was twisting with a mixture of hunger and dread.

What was he going to do?

And what was she going to do about it?

Her patience suddenly snapped.

"I need some water!"

Her voice was high-pitched, nothing at all like her normal tone. But she didn't care.

In the mirror, she saw him still.

And then he moved, but she could no longer see what he was doing. In a minute, he was there before her, holding out a glass of water.

She gave him a smile laced with sarcasm. "I might be able to perform miracles on screen, but there's no way I can drink that with my hands tied."

He looked down at her hands, then took a deep breath and held the glass to her lips.

She debated turning her head away, but thirst won out over all else and she took a few sips of the clear, sparkling water before looking up at him again.

"Look, this is stupid. You can't keep me tied up like this forever. You either tell me what you want, or you do whatever you came here to do and get the hell out."

She regretted the impulsive words just as soon as they had left her lips, but it was too late now. She held her breath, fearful of his reaction.

To her amazement, the brown eyes lightened in what appeared to be a reluctant acknowledgement of the ridiculous situation.

"Believe me, if it were that easy, I would do just that."

He took the glass away and started walking back, and her control snapped.

"Stop! You can't just leave me here for the rest of the night!"

He stilled, and then slowly turned back to face her. For a few minutes, he appeared to be having an internal debate with himself.

Finally, appearing to have come to some sort of decision, he walked over to the table and exchanged the glass of water for the gun.

Her heart stopped.

He must have sensed her dismay, because he took a deep breath, then shook his head.

"This wasn't supposed to happen. This wasn't the plan. I didn't need a hostage."

"Then why are you holding..."

"Circumstances, of course. I thought the house was empty. That's what I needed."

"This is insane. In the morning, my staff will return and you..."

"They aren't coming back. Not until you ask them to."

Her eyes widened, and he answered her unspoken question. 

"I know that because I was out there by the road when they left, and I heard them. What I obviously missed was the fact that their mistress was still here, without her minions."

She took a deep breath, trying to wrap her head around this.

"Alright, then. If the house is what you want, you can take it. I'll just drive off in my car, and you don't need to ever see me again."

To her consternation, he laughed. "You must be confusing me with your dimwit of an ex."

"What?"

"Lady, the first thing you'll do when you get in that car is drive straight to the cops. We both know that."

Chilling fingers of dread shivered down her spine, and the next words left her lips without forethought. "So you're on the run from the law."

He looked away. "The less you know, the better it is for you."

She raised her chin. "Now you must think that I am the stupid one here. Or weak. And I can tell you that I'm neither."

He sighed, then looked back at her again. "All you need to know is that I need to lay low for a few days. This house is the perfect place to do that, and I've already communicated that fact to an associate of mine. Until then, I'm staying here. And unfortunately, so are you."

In that instant, two things became crystal clear to her.

One, her captor was deadly serious about what he was saying.

And two, she needed to get the hell away from whatever was going down here.

By any means necessary.

The echoing chimes of the clock indicated that it was now midnight.

The next day had begun.

-

Chapter 2

Edited by Volturi - 9 years ago
Downhill thumbnail
simply amazing
loved it/
maitricuteheart thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
awesome start continue soon!!!