Chakravartin Ashoka Samrat

Manoj Joshi in Old Chanakya

Intrepida thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 9 years ago
Hi,
Im Rati, Im a regular on the Maharana Pratap forum, and I love Sameer and Pallavi from previous shows! 

For those of you who do not know, there was a serial back in the 90s called Chanakya and Manoj Joshi aka Chanakya of Ashoka was in that show as Chanakya's childhood friend!

In the below screen shot we see Manoj Joshi as Minister Shriyak walking infront and the person behind him was Chanakya (Chandraprakash Dwivedi). Both actors were great, so I can say that I have been a fan of the man since his early tv days!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Moumimon thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
good to see you here too ratiπŸ€—

from the fact seems he is destined to play chanakya...😳
MaxMayfield thumbnail
Yo Yo Rati!πŸ€—
yep manoj comes a full circle!πŸ‘πŸ‘

this is his IV on chanakyaπŸ˜›

EXCLUSIVE: Manoj Joshi: Siddharth Nigam may not be a trained actor but he is quick learner

Mon, February 2, 2015 8:00am UTC by Letty Mariam Abraham
Add first Comment
EXCLUSIVE: Manoj Joshi: Siddharth Nigam may not be a trained actor but he is quick learner

The veteran actor is an acting school in himself and I'm sure his co-actors can learn a thing or two from him

Manoj Joshi is one of those few actors who are known for his body of work more than anything else. I was completely fascinated by whatever he said and I was hanging on his every word. Not only because it was so informative, but also because his Hindi is so pure that I had to actually sit with a dictionary while filing this interview. In spite of doing so many movies, the actor still believes in challenging himself in everything he does. Excerpts from the interview...

What prompted you to take this role?

The role itself compelled me to take it up. No person in their right mind would refuse to do the role of Chanakya. And if a person refuses to do this then he is a wasted artist.

What about Chankya grips you the most?

Chankya's intention grips me the most. The purity of the character, his determination to achieve his goal and intelligence is what attracts me about Chanakya. Someone who believes that politics is only for the service of people and puts his words into action - obviously is an inspiration. His contribution to unite the country and give it a definition is interesting. He is the narrator of the show and no one in their right mind would every refuse to do this character.

You've played Chanakya for about 14 years of your life in theatre. Your role previously has been in depth, but in this show the core concentration will be on Samrat Ashoka; don't you feel your role will be extremely short?

I don' t pick roles according to the length of the character, it is the impact, intention and effect of the role that matters most. Chanakya is an intense character in itself, it doesn't require any depth. Any actor would die for this role. I am just lucky that I was their first choice.

You've done theatre, movies, television - what is more taxing?

Time. I work like a time machine, but this role has given me everything. In television you have to put in 100 per cent of my work in less time. It is a big task so i think it is great challenge.

So at the moment what else are you doing besides Chakravartin Samrat Ashoka?

At the moment I am doing about three to four other films. I am doing a film with Rajesh Vishkal. Rajshri Films, a thriller with Abbas Mastan sir, Prem Ratan Dhan Payo and Kis Kis ko Pyaar Kareinge, Two Marathi films. Then there is one more big film, but I am not allowed to talk about it. Plus I have a few plays lined up as well...

Wow that's a lot on just one plate. How do you manage to find time for all this?

Like I said, I am workaholic. These are all my prior commitments. And I am thankful to Contiloe Films for their support and making this possible.

What's your take on Siddharth Nigam who is playing Samrat Ashok in the show?

Siddharth who is playing Ashok in this daily soap is a spectacular kid. He is a national level gymnast. His Hindi is clean and perfect; he may not be a trained actor but he is quick learner. When he does his scenes with me he listens to everything I say and follows it diligently. He has a very bright future in the industry.

Moumimon thumbnail
thanks for sharing the article hiriye...πŸ˜›
Intrepida thumbnail
Originally posted by: Moumimon

good to see you here too ratiπŸ€—

from the fact seems he is destined to play chanakya...😳

Moumi jaan, so nice to see that you are alive! πŸ€—
yes he has the talent to play the great historical figure!
Intrepida thumbnail
Originally posted by: Hiral_Halwa

Yo Yo Rati!πŸ€—

yep manoj comes a full circle!πŸ‘πŸ‘

this is his IV on chanakyaπŸ˜›

Mon, February 2, 2015 8:00am UTC by Letty Mariam Abraham
Add first Comment

The veteran actor is an acting school in himself and I'm sure his co-actors can learn a thing or two from him

Manoj Joshi is one of those few actors who are known for his body of work more than anything else. I was completely fascinated by whatever he said and I was hanging on his every word. Not only because it was so informative, but also because his Hindi is so pure that I had to actually sit with a dictionary while filing this interview. In spite of doing so many movies, the actor still believes in challenging himself in everything he does. Excerpts from the interview...

What prompted you to take this role?

The role itself compelled me to take it up. No person in their right mind would refuse to do the role of Chanakya. And if a person refuses to do this then he is a wasted artist.

What about Chankya grips you the most?

Chankya's intention grips me the most. The purity of the character, his determination to achieve his goal and intelligence is what attracts me about Chanakya. Someone who believes that politics is only for the service of people and puts his words into action - obviously is an inspiration. His contribution to unite the country and give it a definition is interesting. He is the narrator of the show and no one in their right mind would every refuse to do this character.

You've played Chanakya for about 14 years of your life in theatre. Your role previously has been in depth, but in this show the core concentration will be on Samrat Ashoka; don't you feel your role will be extremely short?

I don' t pick roles according to the length of the character, it is the impact, intention and effect of the role that matters most. Chanakya is an intense character in itself, it doesn't require any depth. Any actor would die for this role. I am just lucky that I was their first choice.

You've done theatre, movies, television - what is more taxing?

Time. I work like a time machine, but this role has given me everything. In television you have to put in 100 per cent of my work in less time. It is a big task so i think it is great challenge.

So at the moment what else are you doing besides Chakravartin Samrat Ashoka?

At the moment I am doing about three to four other films. I am doing a film with Rajesh Vishkal. Rajshri Films, a thriller with Abbas Mastan sir, Prem Ratan Dhan Payo and Kis Kis ko Pyaar Kareinge, Two Marathi films. Then there is one more big film, but I am not allowed to talk about it. Plus I have a few plays lined up as well...

Wow that's a lot on just one plate. How do you manage to find time for all this?

Like I said, I am workaholic. These are all my prior commitments. And I am thankful to Contiloe Films for their support and making this possible.

What's your take on Siddharth Nigam who is playing Samrat Ashok in the show?

Siddharth who is playing Ashok in this daily soap is a spectacular kid. He is a national level gymnast. His Hindi is clean and perfect; he may not be a trained actor but he is quick learner. When he does his scenes with me he listens to everything I say and follows it diligently. He has a very bright future in the industry.

HIral!! πŸ€— so nice to know you are alive! πŸ˜†
yes manojji is very good! very talented! the old chanakya used very high hindi, what we would call bhari badhkam hindi! πŸ˜†
and thanks for sharing the article! πŸ˜³
MaxMayfield thumbnail
bass toh khoob jamega rang jab milenge sab yaar πŸ˜›!
chanakya neeti is an amazing book to read...had read it long back and a lot of it is worth a million bucks...heard till date, the economists read his books on monetary and fiscal policies and lessons on diplomacy!πŸ‘ hope we do get some glimpse on stuff like that.

with the synopsis of the entire storyline coming out, there is minus hope on historical accuracy part of it, ashoka is terrifically whitewashed here!

atleast now its all about presentation and other interesting stuffπŸ˜†
Moumimon thumbnail
Originally posted by: Intrepida

Moumi jaan, so nice to see that you are alive! πŸ€—
yes he has the talent to play the great historical figure!

yeh me alive jaan..πŸ€ͺ how can i die so soonπŸ˜‰πŸ€—

yeh MJ is telented enough...well i liked cast of justin and helens too😳

each and every casting seems perfect...😳😳
Edited by Moumimon - 9 years ago
Intrepida thumbnail
Originally posted by: Hiral_Halwa

bass toh khoob jamega rang jab milenge sab yaar πŸ˜›!

chanakya neeti is an amazing book to read...had read it long back and a lot of it is worth a million bucks...heard till date, the economists read his books on monetary and fiscal policies and lessons on diplomacy!πŸ‘ hope we do get some glimpse on stuff like that.

with the synopsis of the entire storyline coming out, there is minus hope on historical accuracy part of it, ashoka is terrifically whitewashed here!

atleast now its all about presentation and other interesting stuffπŸ˜†

i havent read the book! yes CHanakya was a brilliant statesman and a brilliant spy!
ashoka to me was a dark figure till he reformed himself thru Buddhism! 
Intrepida thumbnail
Originally posted by: Moumimon

yeh me alive jaan..πŸ€ͺ how can i die so soonπŸ˜‰πŸ€—

yeh MJ is telented enough...well i liked cast of justin and helens too😳

each and every casting seems perfect...😳😳

arre kahi nazar nahi aaye so i have to ask! πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
contileo has good casting skills! πŸ˜†