Abhigya SS - Vulnerable - PART 7 UPDATED May1st Pg16

putturani thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
Hi everyone! πŸ˜ƒ I'm back with another fic! Don't worry, this isn't as depressing as Endings. πŸ˜†Endings was about how Pragya gets the courage to walk out of Abhi's life during the MMS fiasco. Vulnerable, the sequel to Endings, is about what happens when Abhi and Pragya meet again. You don't have to read Endings to understand Vulnerable, but I would love it if you would πŸ˜³.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I must add that one of the scenes in this fic was unconsciously inspired by a scene from my absolute favourite novella. Although I only realised I was inspired by this novella after I wrote the notes for the scene, I wanted to mention it here at the beginning. The novella in question is "Unlocked" by Courtney Milan and it's absolutely excellent. I highly recommend that you read it and if you have, please don't expect my Abhigya take to even go anywhere near it!

Happy reading! 
----------------------------------

Part 1 - Endings and Beginnings

"Pragya, I'm so, so sorry. I know you are innocent. After you left I got thinking..."

"Congratulations."

"Who did shoot that MMS? If not you, then Mitali Bhabhi was the only one and, well she doesn't do too well under pressure so she soon blurted everything out. I behaved very badly with you Pragya, I'm really sorry."

"What do you expect me to do now?"

"Please forgive me - and come back. Dadi needs you."

"So you expect me to forgive you."

"Uhh..."

"Whatever for Abhishek? For marrying me in revenge before verifying my identity? For torturing' me every day for months? For physically hurting me? For crucifying me for a rogue MMS when you've been shoving your girlfriend in my face for months?"

"Pragya...I'm so..."

"Or for seducing me, taking advantage of the fact that I felt for you, and throwing my feelings back into my face? Please specify Abhishek. You know what, actually don't bother. It won't make a difference to me. If you're really sorry, then do me a favour."

"What?"

"Please never come in front of me or my family ever again!"

10 months later...

The hotel bar was dark ("atmospheric" as they called it) and a tad depressing. But it was also rather empty, and that's why she was there, in a corner booth, nursing a mango-passion fruit mock tail. After the exciting day she'd had, Pragya needed a few minutes on her own to mull things over. She was not afflicted with false modesty - she knew she was a good professor, but it had been a pleasant surprise and an honour to be selected as a delegate from her college for the All India College Educators Conference. 

She let herself bask in the pure professional pleasure of the day as she sipped her drink. After taking a yearlong sabbatical during the disaster of her marriage she had never imagined that she'd be able to get back into the field so easily. But her replacement had eloped so she'd easily found herself with a job and she had jumped at the chance. When she left her marriage she had been so humiliated, so worn down, that she hardly recognised herself. Once she realised how much of herself she had lost, she had wasted no time in throwing herself into her work. She desperately needed a distraction and each moment sighing over a terribly written paper was a moment not spent sighing over him. 

So life had settled into a routine for Pragya - home, office, home - day in, day out, for ten months. And if life seemed a little grey without him in it; if she took a little less joy in the small things; if she felt a little less free; she always reminded herself: a life lived with dignity is worth more than a life lived in colour.

Pragya sighed; her thoughts were worse than her most disobedient students. They wandered less now than ten months ago, when she had first left, but still they wandered disconcertingly often to a certain almost-ex-husband of hers.

"Never come in front of me or my family again!"

Angry words, once spoken, can never be taken back. For once he had complied. For ten months she had neither seen nor heard from Abhishek Prem Mehra. Of course, their worlds could not entirely separate. Bulbul and Purab; Aakash and Rachna, Dadi, there were enough tenuous connections between them that whispers of him permeated her life. 

And somehow, she couldn't leave the past well enough alone. Somehow her hands would turn to the celebrity gossip page of the newspaper, somehow her ears would pick up certain endorsements on the radio more than others, somehow her eyes would be drawn to some billboards more than others.

Suddenly, Pragya turned - a sparkle pricked her peripheral vision through the darkness of the bar - and gasped. The sparkle was from a set of very well worn and very familiar dog tags. It was him, and immediately she knew that she wasn't dreaming. Her first feeling was annoyingly one of overwhelming relief, as though a slightly tilted world was pulled back into right angles. Oh God help. . Just seeing him across a hazy bar had left her exposed again. 

She slid a little further into a her seat, hoping he wouldn't see her, but a cocktail glass and an oversized orange wedge are insufficient cover and from the corner of her eye she saw him making a beeline towards her. If only the bar were darker, or the light didn't reflect off her spectacles, or he didn't have 20/20 vision. What was she doing? One glimpse of Abhi and she had become so weak? No, I have to be strong. So she straightened and scrambled to put on her shield of anger and indignation. Now she was ready.

As always, all sorts of comments and critiques are treasured. πŸ˜³

Chapter Index

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Edited by putturani - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

--simmi-- thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Yay!! A great start to undoubtedly an amazing story! Cannot wait for more!! This was fab!!
-mina- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
rani!!!! so so so so so so good! i am so excited!! love pragya getting back in her career and reconnecting with the bossest version of herself. and oh how i feel for her not-quite healed soul. amazing recap of the almost-year apart and of all the emotional complications between them. and the setting!! hello!! i am so intrigued!! more now please now now now!! hayeee!

thanks for a fantastic read :D
MsTiara thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
AMAZING! Great start! πŸ‘
PLEASE update soon! 
WittyFlair thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2
That's a nice start...look forward to reading how this unfolds!
sudanindia2014 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
I loved it so much.. can not wait to see Abhi after 10 months separation
so please give us the the update this year πŸ˜‰  Edited by sudanindia2014 - 9 years ago
HappySmiles thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5
Wow, this looks interesting!πŸ˜ƒ

Please PM me when you update. ;)

Thank you!
palbhar thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Interesting start! Can't wait to read the next update!!!!!!!
tazzy16 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
That's an intriguing start Rani! Looking forward for more!
*hugs*
Taash thumbnail
"...but a cocktail glass and an oversized orange wedge are insufficient cover..."

Zing! Great start!
Edited by Taash - 9 years ago