Posted: 9 years ago

I had just returned after offering my evening prayers to Lord Surya. It had become a habit now, I felt restless if I even missed a single day. It had become as important as breathing-every single second ,and the fact that made it all so important was-he would have also done the same thing if he would have been...alive!

Though, sometimes my usual back pains due to my growing old age tried to prevent me but the fervor inside me had not died. Every morning and in the evenings I walked barefoot to the ghats of the Ganges to pay respect to my divine father-in-law and then distributed alms among the poor and needy, the same which he The Lord of Charity' (that was what people fondly called him posthumously) would have done.

"What's the need of you travelling so far, all alone? Oh Ma! You need to take care of yourself!" said the fair little Kritikka, my daughter in law, wife of Vrishaketu, my only son who survived the horrors of the war. She was the dainty princess, of Magadha to whom my son was betrothed. It had been a year or so of their marriage and in such a short while we grew very close to each other and she addressed me as her mother. Maybe the poor child lost her own mother at a very young age was the sole reason for her unreserved love for me. I too loved her back with all I had ,but my reasoning were a little different-I always longed for a girl child, the justification seemed similar to what I had in my head for all the love and care Radhaa Maa showered on me.

Kritikka took care of my every little need, indeed she was dutiful daughter. After the death of Supriya two years back, she was my only source of happiness. Vrishaketu was most of the times away at wars, or helping his uncles with political matters, looking after the army, after all he was a skillful warrior, just like his father. But he never forgot to visit my chamber to seek my blessings or enquire about my health. How can he forget his duties? He was the ideal son of his ideal father. I wondered what the present scenario would be if all my other eight sons would have been alive. I suppressed the lump in my throat and pushed those thoughts away.

After the demise of Supriya I had confined myself to the four walls of my chamber, only coming out twice a day to offer my prayers to the Sun God. All my necessities were served to me in my room. My room was small, I insisted upon it before coming to this huge palace. Yes it was grand, luxurious and magnificent but of what use it is to a Suta women? It aptly fit the description given by Radheya once when I had asked him out of my never ending inquisitiveness to describe the royal palace-"It is the grandest place on earth but it lacks the very soul and warmth of a home. A strange emptiness looms over the entire palace, its corridors, rooms as if conveying all the unfulfilled desires of its occupants."Still most of the times he had to stay at the Hastinapur palace because of his commitments to his friend cum brother Duryodhan.I suppose that's why he always returned to the Anga palace(which was literally not a palace) to find solace and fight with his inner turmoil which knew no ends.

But things were different now, with Yudhishthir, the eldest of Pandavs, had the reigns of the Kuru kingdom in his hands. He had established Dharma' in the entire Aaryavat as he was so righteous in his behavior. The palace at last glowed with a light gleam of happiness.

The Pandav brothers seldom came to visit me. Maybe there were more important things to worry about or maybe I had shut myself to the outer world-especially to the Pandavs. Although they never forgot to smile or bow down their heads in respect, when I occasionally came across any one of them.

Sitting on my bed cross-legged I was staring blankly outside my window. It was a full moon night, the stars perfectly aligned around it, a few black clouds here and there. My eyes felt relaxed as I looked up at the moon and the light cold wind brought back numerous memories from the past-the good times. I closed my eyes and allowed myself to sink into this very ocean of reminiscence.

My moment of solitude was broken by a familiar squeaky voice. I opened my eyes to find Kritikka, with her perfect face, tugging at my sari to grab my attention."What are you thinking so hard?' she asked, with an amazement in her voice" Nothing...just remembering the good old times", I replied calmly. There was a long pause before Kritikka asked the most unexpected question "Father loved you so dearly, right?"I looked at her completely bewildered; I had never imagined discussing the deepest emotions of my heart with her! She was the one who always poured out her heart to me and I played the role of the advisor, teaching her the ways of life. She called him her father! Oh! This girl made me adore her more with each passing day. My lips which had parted in a shock turned into an elated smile. The mere mention of Radheya excited my old heart. I replied in a low voice "Yes!" trying to suppress the redness of my cheeks. Kritikka giggled away merrily seeing her old mother in law blush. I pulled her ears lightly, and I myself broke into laughter.

These incidents took place very rarely, our laughs resounding in the entire palace, bringing back life into the seemingly lifeless palace. "Please Maa! Say it all,""Tell me, how you met father?"How did you both fall in love?""Tell me everything...don't miss out any details!" her eyes danced with joy."Patience child!" I stroked her face with my hands and tucked a strand of hair behind her ears which fell on her beautiful face."I had always known about the great warrior Karna, but I want to know the other, the loving side of him!" she asked with the same amount of joy in her voice too."I'll tell you all, the things no one knew except Radheya and me. I need at least someone to pass on these stories", I added with sarcasm.

The lamp in the room burned more brightly as it set itself to hear the saga of the greatest man who walked on this earth once. Among all these thrilled faces, there was one well-known face, which I knew for ages, I suppose, stood at the door, with his arms around his chest, which comprised of a golden glistening armor, eyed us tenderly. His head was tilted to one side, I looked up to meet his gaze and he gave back a flawless smile.😊

P.S-Kritikka is an imaginary character. Vrishaketu was married to the daughter of King Yavanaath, probably a king in the West.😊

👏Wow..awesome.. Pls continue Shalu.. Waiting for more..
First of all happy to see a new story on Radheya my hero.It was so emotional.I loved the way you made Vrishali do the same as Karna.First I thought it was Karna's narrative.But  as I read "had he been alive"made me 😭.Your writing was so poignant.I loved Krittika.She is a way out for Vrishali.And ved the last part where Vrishali visualizes her man❤️
Originally posted by Aartii26

👏Wow..awesome.. Pls continue Shalu.. Waiting for more..
 Aww...thanku di!!!! 😊😊😊
Originally posted by vaikartana

First of all happy to see a new story on Radheya my hero.It was so emotional.I loved the way you made Vrishali do the same as Karna.First I thought it was Karna's narrative.But  as I read "had he been alive"made me 😭.Your writing was so poignant.I loved Krittika.She is a way out for Vrishali.And ved the last part where Vrishali visualizes her man❤️
Thank you! 😊😊
Simply outstanding.👏 Please continue.

This is very touching Shalini⭐️

Every line coveys a unique feeling thanks a lot for writing on my hero⭐️ You have correct sets of words used with brilliant language👏

Keep it up and Please continue dear😊

It's fantastic!
You've written it flawlessly! I fell in love with this story!
Now, this arose a deep question in my mind- What must have Vrushali felt after Karna's brutal death?
Simply Brilliant!
Do continue soon!
oh!! dear!! it was fantastic..the way u explained my hero atlast is super..continue soon
superb
plzz continue soon.
want to read more.