Punishment for a rapist - Page 3

Poll

What punishment would you advocate for a rapist? and why?

Poll Choice
Login To Vote

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ivan thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
ivan thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
thought i cant remember  the exact number , i think its for every 10 seconds in india rape/ sexual harraesement occurrs . can someone provide the correct stats
anonmember thumbnail

Originally posted by: bas02

Well personally I have a punishment which i will not mention here. But torture or something of that kind would do. You cannot erase what has happened to the victim, they have to live everyday with that memory haunting them. It is hard for them to get any justice at all. So my punishment would be dire, and not a clean cut death😈

Who will torture the person? Or as you said, perform the punishment the 'you cannot mention here'. I'm sorry but that kind of thinking will only worsen the problem instead of solving it. How does that make the person who is carrying out the torture any better than the rapist? Its easy to say 'just kill the person, just torture him' but its not that easy. Same thing goes for war. I agree that punishment is needed in such a cirsumstance, don't get me wrong. I just don't think that stooping down to the level or even below of the rapist is the solution. Maybe there is no solution.

greatmaratha thumbnail
Recently, a 55 year old man raped his 2 year old neighbour........  what do u call such behaviour.  I mean these guys must be killed for sure.  They have no right to live in human society.  Today u spare him and he might return to rape some more..

Bobbiting is another option, but you run the risk of the man seeking revenge and turning murderer..  So Bobbit him and then kill him....
vijay thumbnail

Rape is even worse than murder. It is most horrifying and depressing to read about rapes of minors almost everyday in newspapers and is a sad reflection on social regeneration of India and the whole world.

Many of us have suggested death penalty, or a 10 to 40 years of rigorous imprisonment as punishment to the rapist, but now they have vehemently opposed the death penalty on the ground that it would prompt the culprit to murder the victim so as to destroy all evidence.

Rape is not an accident or moments of weakness. These are mostly thought-out, repeated acts that take advantage of the weakest members of society and pounce when they get an "OPPORTUNITY".

So in my view the rapist must be given such a punishment that should not only meet the ends of justice but also serve as a big DETERRENT for others. In ADDITION to the existing 7-10 years punishment, the culprit (especially child abusers) should be paraded na**d with their face melanized (blackened with charcoal) and lambasted in public and shown LIVE on a reality show. Rapists should be castrated and the word "RAPIST" should be tattooed (permanent one) on their head.

There are many other issues related to this which I think should also be raised for debate:

a) Is rape "loss of dignity" for a women only or also for the society who produces and harbours such mentally ill perverts. Why our society raise their eyebrows and do not accept the victim normally. Why we gossip about the victim who have been raped. Moreover I have noticed quite a few take deep interests in hearing these news.

b) Should TV serials and films depicting rape, violence and extramarital relations and vulgarity be banned. Now please dont tell me that TV is just the reflection of our society. Cause you wont find any real life story like Prerna, or the Viranis, Agarwals... and so on. It may happen in Western countries but so far Indians were safe from the Prerna bug - Pyar kisi se, Bacche kisi ke, get married multiple times and still gets nominated for the favorite patni. I do not know the whole story but still it is something like that and its so unreal and stupid.

c) Are women also responsible to some extent for such an catastrophic event (maybe sometimes)?

d) Arn't many Pop Albums showing women as an OBJECT? Why we do not see many women raising there opinions on that? Why movies like "MURDER","Jism" are getting popular and are super hits ? You all wont believe I have seen (on TV) so many ladies coming out of the theatre and have appreciated Mullika Sherwat role and the movie. Are we accepting all this as "ok"?

e) Just heard a news on Zee News that Principal of a Delhi college asked for some dress code in Colleges (which I think he meant that gals should wear decent clothes) and now students protesting against him and asking for his resignation and even Delhi University has even backed out of issue saying there is no dress code. Meaning everyone is free to wear what they want even if its something revealing, provoking or something more you are free to do so. Its a free WORLD. Is it fair?

There are many such debates/issues that can be raised on the forum.

Regards,
Vijay

Edited by vijay - 18 years ago
sweetrani_neha thumbnail

Wow Vijay... after all the points you've brought up what do I say now?πŸ˜•πŸ˜† 

I would say that a rapist deserves imprisonment for a long time, perhaps their life, in order to repent his/her sin and continuously be disturbed by the thought of what they did.. that would truly cause them to suffer. Giving immediate death would end their life immediately, perhaps giving them the easy way out, because they won't get the opportunity to think about their deeds and truly suffer.

However, I think that life imprisonment vs. immediate death just provokes the topic of the pros/cons of the death penalty. As Vijay pointed out, there are so many issues surrounding rape. Is is utterly disgusting and appalling how people in our society can be so inhume.

Yes, rapists should purposely suffer but what about the victim? He, or in most cases she,  unknowingly became a target and it changed the course of her life. Even though it wasn't her fault that the rapist raped her, how can she hold her head up in society? Vijay has a valid point that many people in society enjoy to gossip about victims, but I ask them, what would they say if they or one of their family members was the next victim of a rapist? They enjoy it so much to speak of others, but what right do they have if they cannot share their pain?

I don't think it's the victims fault of she does her utmost to escape from the clutch of rapist. Though most times the victim ends up helpless since no one is around to hear their cries, but how can it be her fault when she put up a fight? It's not like the rape victim had a sign on her that said "Please Rape Me"... Unfortunately many women unknowingly become targets and sadly enough our society deems them a culprit as well.

As for the media's portrayal of rape, I think they regard it mostly as a light issue to progress their story or put a twist in it (Ekta is a prime example)... And then they have society gossiping about the victim while the rapist may escape to add more twist and suspense. I say, if you can't portray it realistically then don't even bother... it's not like you're depicting society as is.... Rape is a much more serious issue than what the television set displays....

So all in all, a punishment for a rapist of imprisonment should be made into a "live broadcast" (with flashing lights and all) so rapists can experience the humility, pain, and shamefulness their victims experience.

anjali.nair thumbnail

Originally posted by: vijay

e) Just heard a news on Zee News that Principal of a Delhi college asked for some dress code in Colleges (which I think he meant that gals should wear decent clothes) and now students protesting against him and asking for his resignation and even Delhi University has even backed out of issue saying there is no dress code. Meaning everyone is free to wear what they want even if its something revealing, provoking or something more you are free to do so. Its a free WORLD. Is it fair?There are many such debates/issues that can be raised on the forum.

Regards,
Vijay

Vijay, I have framed a query based on this point of yours. I think it's a good question for debate.

sukh thumbnail
vijay so said it all.πŸ‘ thax. 😳
gurjeeta thumbnail
I fink dat life imprisonment wud be a g8 ting 4 im cuz  den he will be taught a gud lesson n it!!!!!!!!!      n also he wud have a borin life
Kumud_Kshitij thumbnail
there is no worse crime den rape.