Yudh 19: End game

sashashyam thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 9 years ago

Folks,

The title is ok,  for that is how the episode end and the precap play out. 

But  the episode could well have been called Chaos.  There was a distinct impression of chaos beyond anyone's control, and  as the action proceeded, it became more and more implausible and unrealistic. My fears seem to be moving closer and closer to being realised, with  a bombing in the Shanti Constructions auditorium apparently in the works in the last episode, courtesy who else, Ajaatashatru the Omnipotent.

Melodrama unlimited: We were treated to a  series of increasingly melodramatic scenes,  as Ajaatashatru's plots get more and more complex and intertwined. In fact,  by now he  resembles  Dr. Octopus of the Spiderman films.  He  is able to  have a finger in every pie going around, controls an assortment of henchmen, and one henchwoman,  and   when things go wrong, he is ever ready with alternate plans without batting an eyelid. Whether it is the streetsmart Nikhil running away in the nick of time (thanks to the utter helplessness of non-technical persons vis a vis techies like Nikhil when there is a system breakdown)  or Anand escaping when he should have been incarcerated in Police Headquarters,  apna Ajju  is one cool cat, never at a loss. His mool mantra seems to be Main sambhal loonga.

I am sure that if all the 18 earlier episodes had been like No. 19, the TRPs would have been much, much higher. This kind of masala  is what the TRP/TVM audiences want. Why, I had  underestimated Anurag Kashyap when I wrote yesterday :

The one thing they cannot have is the routine 10 minutes of  fisticuffs at the  end, with the hero getting bashed up for the first three quarters   of the time, and the villain for the last quarter. For Amitabh in his heyday, this would have been a piece  of cake, but not at nearly 72.

I could not have been more wrong. The precap shows Yudh racing Ajju to get something or to get to some  place first, and he is shown making a giant leap thru the air, like   a  flying squirrel.  I could not believe my eyes! Who knows, he might even beat Ajju to a pulp on his own, without Rishi's assistance!

Now, since Yudh was completely ready with all the 20 episodes  before the telecasts started,  this could not be a tweaking of the script for TRPs.  I think Anurag Kashyap is  a great fan of the vintage Amitabh Bachchan of the 1970s. and the end game is going to be his homage to the AB he adores.  Perhaps I too should shed my reservations and  join  him!

Taruni: a great disappointment: We have got used to thinking of Taruni as a cool, capable,  unflappable professional. So, when she faces perhaps  the greatest disillusionment of her life,  the revelation of what Ajju is and what he has been up to, making clandestine, prurient video recordings  of them together,  I would have expected her, after the initial bout of weeping from hurt and humiliation, to  act as  the Taruni  we know would have done. That is to say, pick  up the recordings and her own laptop and leave, locking the door behind her. It would have been a while before Ajju discovered anything at all. In the meantime, she could have contacted her father and alerted him to what Ajju was up to. And her mother as well.

What does she actually  do? She weeps authentically, the abject misery comes thru very well. But then she sits there  in front of the laptop, like Patience on a monument, till Ajju turns up  and finds her. What was she doing staring at the laptop all that while? How long would it have taken her to read those 3 newspaper clippings?

Ok, what was done was done. But once he is there, can she not pretend that all is normal and still get away, which is the  vital step she has to take? No, she does not do anything so sensible.

Instead, she gets up and accuses Ajju of faking love for her  and using her, ending up with Mere dad ki kya galti thi, if  a madman  ran amok? (Mishti, I could not quite  make out her last sentence,  but she was not referring to Ajju, but to Sanjay Mishra). It is  the single worst thing she  could have said, and when Ajju retorts Tumhare dad ne hi us se wo pagalpan karvaaya tha,  we finally have, from the horse's mouth, what is it that is driving him in his insane quest for revenge.

Taruni is not  done yet with her folly. Like a typical 1970s Hindi film heroine, she next  declares Main tumhare bare mein sab ko bataa dungi..She has been staring into Ajju's demented eyes for a long moment, and can she not  grasp that this man is possessed  and beyond control?  Even if he had been normal, what would be the inevitable response to the kind of threat she utters? Why, exactly what happens to her.

I winced at the viciousness with which he kicks the prostrate Taruni,  and the way in which he caressed her cheek after that was distinctly creepy. Ajju is a very nasty bit of goods.

So now we have the one mandatory prop for a dhamakedaar   finale, the abla naari  tied to a chair in the time honoured fashion. All that is missing is for  Gauri too to join the  lot at the mall site, like Basanti's mausi  in Sholay!

What I could not understand was how Ajju  planned to use Taruni to  get at Yudh.  We can understand this  only when we know  for how long Taruni has known Ajju, and when  exactly he got to know that she was Yudh's daughter.  One possibility, since he is clearly planning to lure Yudh to the showdown,  is that he had slotted her long since for the abla naari's role, and would have hit her on the head and lugged her to the site even if she had not discovered his guilty secrets.

Rishi: coming into his own:  The boy is blossoming by the day, and is  now amazingly quick on his feet. Remember the occasion when Taruni, just before going into the OT, calls Ajju using Rishi's mobile? As she is leaving, Rishi calls after her Taruni, number save kardoon kya?  She does not respond, but it seems now that he saved it anyway.

So, when Dabra points out that 5 minutes after Nayantara had been shot, the fake inspector who did the shooting had called this number, Rishi first starts to call it,  but as soon as the name Taruni's friend, comes up on the screen, he cuts the call. He does not want to alert the  guy, he explains to Dabra, but in fact, he has made the instant connection between the man behind the shooting and Taruni's fiance. So he calls her, but of course it is too late.

Next, Rishi is seen in Ajju's flat,  inspecting it and studying the press clipping open on Taruni's laptop. Before  you wonder as to how he got there, it must have been thru Dabra's contacts with the  landline service provider.  who would have the address at which it was registered. As it is not a clandestine instrument, Ajju would have given his genuine address, and so Rishi gets there.

NB: The number is a landline, not  a mobile, as Dabra dictates only 7 digits to Rishi, 9173652.  The city code would make it the standard 10 digits. A mobile phone would have 10 digits to start with.

It is a bit of a puzzle as to how Rishi  got inside, unless our cool cat, Ajju, was not so cool and chilled out after all while dragging Taruni's limp body  outside and loading her into  his car, and  he simply forgot to lock the door.

As I had wanted him to do, Rishi, in the precap,  is also at the mall site. He is facing Ajju  without showing any fear, and he is also to be glimpsed in the doomed auditorium, or at least so it seemed to me. I hope he has a solid part to play in the climax.

Yudh: Stoic courage: It is remarkable that even after learning from the Municipal Commissioner about Anand's apparent Judas act (the MC's  nasty crack at Yudh is typical of this corrupt,  cunning  man. But the role did not have as much for  KK Menon as I had hoped it would), and  being unable to contact him. Yudh faces his predicament with such  calm  stoicism.  He cannot make head or  tail of it, but  he tries to gently  prepare Nayantara for his likely imprisonment. 

Next, when the Taruni crisis hits him,  and he heads to Ajju's place after an otherwise fruitless argument with Gauri, who seems not to grasp the ser iousness of the situation, Yudh is almost crippled by  a sudden attack of his Huntington's syndrome. His left hand seems to have developed a will of its own, and apparently wants to ditch his mobile. As he struggles to regain control of the rebel hand,   using his right to clamp it down and cling to the mobile, one can practically feel the strenuous battle his will is waging against a part of his own body. I felt like cheering when  he did manage to tame it, and retained his grip on  the mobile.

Which was  just as well, for  the call that comes in then is from Ajaatashatru. The rest of the scene -  up to the  point where Yudh, having taken all those stairs 2 at a time,  and with puzzlement writ large on his face,  faces Ajju, jo thoda mazaa lena chahta hai -  is  merely the ouverture for the end  game.  The real masala will come tonight.

Inspector Choudhuri: Amazing integrity: If there is a  guardian angel - for Anand, many times,  and once for  Rishi as well,  and thus at one remove for Yudh -  it is the honest, intelligent, capable and  clever Inspector Choudhuri. Intelligent people  are not always clever, but he is both. His mind and heart are never at odds,  and he trusts Anand and acts on that trust, right up to the point where he lets him escape on the way to the  Police Headquarters.

I did not quite believe  what he  told Anand about Ajju having such high up contacts in the police establishment that he could accelerate the efforts to pin Anand down on the murder of the  fake housekeeping staffer, whose tooth was found in Anand's car.  This would hardly be possible for a mere corporate lawyer.  I do hope that Ajju is shown to have had a powerful backer, for otherwise,  we will have the omnipotence of this weedy Ajju shoved down our throats willy nilly, which would be  a great pity.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for Inspector Choudhuri to be merely injured, and not dead. I also could not understand where was the necessity for Ajju's henchman to fire on  him, or on Anand, thinking that he was still in the jeep,   at all. Surely Anand would  have been  stuck with  his confession anyway.  Perhaps he had spotted the inspector letting Anand escape, and had fired on him in revenge.

Star of the day: Anand's wife Preeti. She was amazing  as a woman who, even while  facing such horrendous circumstances, still manages to keep her her head, very cleverly frees herself from her bonds, and gets to safety.   What  a contrast to Taruni! The actress gave a superb performance  as a very brave and  resourceful woman, who  manages to  not only save her own life, but also to save  her autistic son  from the sin of matricide.  As soon as I saw that target pinned on to Preeti's chest,  my  blood ran cold.

Where does Ajju find these kinds of monsters who are prepared to  commit such crimes without the least hesitation? Not just the  usual gundas, but this fresh faced and pleasant looking nurse?  And  how  does he pay them all? That is another big question that needs an answer.

Puzzle of the day: I can hear you folks  exclaiming: What, only one?  I mean the 2 adults and 14 children killed in the orphanage massacre,  as mentioned in the press clipping,  which would leave out  one of the 3 adult Mishras, and then the other on about a  lone survivor, which would of course have been the  little boy under the table, our Ajju. To my mind,  Sanjay might have not died and might have escaped, but of  course I am not sure. I do not propose to turn my grey  cells into scrambled eggs trying to unravel that,  so I shall leave it  to the enthusiasts among you!

Question of the day: How many rounds does the automatic assault weapon that is given to Aditya  have in its magazine? I thought it was 30 rounds for those sorts of  guns - the AK-47 Kalashnikov  fires only 30 -  but the kid fires on and on and on!

So on  to the real end game, folks, as we bid adieu to Yudh  tonight.

Shyamala B.Cowsik

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

kmfan_2 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Dear Aunty...a big hug to you for this lovely analysis...
I have stopped watching this show but will catch up with it once it is over...

I am reading all the topics and "feel the show" through the write ups...

Thank you so much for the entertaining write ups...which is such a pleasure to read ---over and over again!😊
mishtidoi thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Aunty,the leap of Amit ji in precap is amazing.
I'd read in his interview that he had done some action scenes in the climax..was it an interview or his FB status update??? Can't remember though. But have not thought of this kicking, climbing and flying level. This man truly is a legend πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

As for Ajathshatru...he's a cold blooded murderer and that is what makes him utterly dangerous, with looks of a suave, smart, corporate lawyer...deadliest combination.
That kicking scene was so cringe worthy, I felt nauseating feeling watching it.😲 

Taruni said to him, "tumne kaise uss pagal ki baaton par bharosa kar liya"..I think something like it, to which Ajju  had replied.

Women of Yudh...started differently...but end is all so same...Mona, Taruni, Gauri..started as smart, thinking ladies...end result loss of logic in crucial hours...its like they carry the legacy of curse by Parshuram to Karna.πŸ˜•
Nayan...I don't know why still housewives aren't thought of as smart🀒

I'd thought that atleast Yudh will change the small screen attitude in visualizing a woman...nope...its back to square one...wohi dhaak ke teen paat

Thanks for the PM Aunty, today, we reach to the end of this dark tunnel. πŸ˜Š

Edited by mishtidoi - 9 years ago
apple64 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
amazing write-up once again Shyamala, i am already getting  withdrawal pangs.. both for Yudh and your analysis.
will miss both for sure. and yes I can imagine how taxing it would be for you to watch the serial and analyse it too.. probably even Anurag Kashyap wouldn't have analysed it so much.

much love and till today's episode and its analysis.

Apple/Alpana
Minionite thumbnail
Aunty absolutely amazing analysis.

I can shamelessly say now that when Inspector Choudhary first made his entry I really thought he would turn out to be one of those officers who is willing to do anything to bring YS down as well, but I was happily surprised as he has, like you said, go on to become a guardian angel in a way who knows that there is much more afoot than is being seen. That's why he saved Rishi and that's why he saves Anand.

Rishi continues to surprise. The swiftness with which he connected the dots yesterday was an absolute surprise especially after you go back and see the laid-back approach he had in the first few episodes. You would never expect to see him standing his own in front of Ajju and Yudh in the precap if you had just watched the second episode.

The precap looks much like a typical AB movie climax with running, jumping, and (hopefully not) death, but let's see what happens.
ALUJNA21 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8
That is nice, very well written, analysis is superb.
Sandhya.A thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Eeeks! What a filmy episode!  ( halfway through) Will we have an explanation on HOW and why Ajju managed all those murders?
mishtidoi thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
OMIGOD...who is watching Yudh today????
Its the father of all finales...what an end...wow!!!! AB is still King of action πŸ‘
debasree04 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
I am totally disappointed...what an end ! 
Shwets1502 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 2
Is that it? πŸ˜• I am very disappointed. All the fights are all said and done. But why didn't they conclude the episode. Is Ajju convicted or has Yudh killed him? What happens to Anand's cases? So Ajju did everything on his own? I can't believe the episode ended his way. At least a get together celebrating their victory over evil should have been show. 
PS I am always for open ended climax, but this was not done