Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

india2050 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

Originally posted by: Angela_Grokes

I completely agree with you dear. Infact people never mind saying that Draupadi was the reason of the war, even if they have read the epic. They simply blame her to be a reason because she got justice in the war when she washed her hair with dushy's blood. Because of that one incident the blame of war falls on Drau's shoulders.

In the epic Draupadi does not wash her hair with Dushy's blood. She was staying with other Pandava women in Upaplavya. She entered the field only the day after all her children were killed in the night attack. This washing the hair seems to be a later day interpolation to actually put the blame on her and tag her as bloodthirsty.
Edited by india2050 - 9 years ago
Angela_Grokes thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: india2050

In the epic Draupadi does not wash her hair with Dushy's blood. She was staying with other Pandava women in Upaplavya. She entered the field only the day after all her children were killed in the night attack. This washing the hair seems to be a later day interpolation to actually put the blame on her. 

@bold - I agree. Because even I got confused when this part of washing hair came while I was reading the epic. Because there is no mention of Draupadi being on the war field before the end of the war and that sudden appearance on Dushy's death.
guenhwyvar thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Beautiful and head on post Bheegs.
Let's count the possible ways (anything goes rule) that Draupadi could be held responsible:

1) Draupadi tells her Patis immediately after the dice game to screw the second dice game and go to IP and return with an army and the Pandavas oblige. [that did not happen]

2) While in exile Draupadi lashes on each pati and tells them to screw their promise and attack HP with Panchaal's army, which they do. [Did that happen? Don't think so]

3) Draupadi forces Bhim to makes those vows [Nope, Bhim made those vows on his own. The VH was the cause, but the fault lies with DDSK. I can't imagine anyone who would actually blame Panchaali for getting VHed ... but... just in case]

4) Draupadi was secretly plotting to conquer HP for her own evil and sadistic pleasure so she sent a message to Dury that she wanted to be with him and he should force Yudhi to stake her during the dice game he should set up. Hence why Dury stakes her, hence why Dury told her to sit on his thighs, hence why she was VHed [Now I'm being sarcastic!]

Just because an event acted as a catalyst, it cannot suggest that it was the sole reason for it. Thinking that Panchaali was responsible for the war is as pathetic as thinking that George W. Bush is a hero for launching the war on terrorism (for those that live in the US) or as pathetic as supporting racism or prejudice. The need to pin the issue on a woman is astounding pathetic, especially when there isn't a fair amount of evidence pointing towards it. 

As a society, we should reform out of this regressive thinking. Maybe it's those people who view males to be extremely superior to females that see that women are the ones responsible. 

Speaking from personal experience, we read a cartoon Ramayan in college and we had to write an essay on it. I explored which gender held the responsibility for Sita's kidnapping. Was it Sita and her extremely beautiful looks, or was it Surpanakha's lust? Perhaps it was Rama and Ravana's fault, since Rama went for the golden deer and Ravana maybe who orchestrated the entire thing? Sure each gender held a fair amount of responsibility - Sita really wanted the golden deer - but blaming Sita for the kidnapping was absurd. I came to the conclusion that from that cartoon Ramayan that was mostly images and a little text, that both genders held a relatively equal amount of responsibility, but maybe the males held a slightly larger amount. 

The point is - if we are to think that the Mahabharat itself isn't color coded character wise - then why are we forcing ourselves to think that it is. If we begin to color code the characters, and as a result do something like WWing / BWing that the StarCVs have done, we would reach the same conclusion the CVs did. Most people here realize that the MB has grey characters - neither black nor white - a little bit of both. So it makes sense that a story with characters that are grey, should have pretty grey parts dispersed throughout it. Grey characters + grey parts should make the MB largely grey right? 

Now since we are thinking that grey = complex, it makes sense to think that the MB is largely complex right? Again grey / complex characters with a bunch of grey / complex parts equals grey / complex Mahabharat (to simplify things). So coming to an extremely simple conclusion in something as complex as the Mahabharat ... think about it ... you might realize how foolish that sounds. 
Edited by shyam09 - 9 years ago
AnuMP thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Thank you Shyam

Nicely said
rink80 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Such a great post and so many issues pointed out.
Thanks.

MS-meghasharma thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
amazing post bheegi.

i feel sorry for ppl who blame her for war. infact she lost the maximum in this war except her husbands nobody from her family survived.

the jealousy and envy which culminated in this war in the end was started by shakuni and later on duryodhan only made it worse and draupadi was neither born and not met pandavas till then.

she was unwanted by her dad , missed on her childhood and before could get a hold on her life after swayamvar was divided amongst 5.

she was the victim in epic coz the amount of pain she has undergone from the day she was born to her death is 100 times more then any other character.

what should she have done  ...forgive ppl who molested and harassed her and live her life peacefully in exile with her hubby's but even this woudn't have sufficed dury coz he wanted to see pandavas dead.all his actions prove that.

in the end all i can say is draupadi's share of happiness in epic is negligible to amount of pain and sufferings she has been through and moreover pandavas didn't fight to avenge her...they did it to get their kingdom back and were happy with 5 villages too.

each and every character in epic is responsible some way for the war . personally i feel more then dury it's dhritrashtra's blind luv and inability of bheeshma to stop them and also support of karna and drona to hastinapur made duryodhan more arrogant then he was. he was convinced of their power and their loyality of hastinapur and towards him.
Edited by MS-meghasharma - 9 years ago
bheegi thumbnail

Originally posted by: divyasn

In the epic Gandhari curses Krishna saying , he could have rescued her one son who did lesser sins ...  I sympathise with her ,  never she blames Droupadi ...

She was the one to bless Duryodhan where there is dharm , there is victory ...

Yeah, SP has blackwashed Gandhari in their show- more than she deserved. I'm not saying she was wrong but she never cursed Draupadi. She met Draupadi after the war once they both had lost their kids so they could console each other, not curse.
bheegi thumbnail

Originally posted by: divyasn

I feel all ladies in Mahabharat are strong and fighters in their own way ...

amba , gandhari , kunti , droupadi even to the matter dushala ...

Dushala got a rapist husband - after the war she lost all her brothers and husband ... soon her parents too ...

They did their best they could under the circumstances...but still suffered in different ways
Edited by bheegi - 9 years ago
bheegi thumbnail

Originally posted by: Angela_Grokes

Great, great, great post bheegi. I so much wanted someone to post this , you have expressed all my feelings in just one go. She never asked for any war. How she be held responsible? I really feel bad for those whose just simply point Draupadi to be a reason of war. And even heart wrenching is the fact that people blame a woman for all miss happenings , and wrongs in the society. Whether it is rape, eve teasing, fights, and even war. What kind of a world are we living in?!

Thanks Angela. Things haven't changed, have they? Just going by some of the remarks on other social media sites, it's a pity people still point fingers at Draupadi. Just hope these girls don't have endure what Draupadi did
divyasn thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: bheegi

Thanks Angela. Things haven't changed, have they? Just going by some of the remarks on other social media sites, it's a pity people still point fingers at Draupadi. Just hope these girls don't have endure what Draupadi did

She went thru polygamy ,  VH  , years of life in forest , 2 rape attempts , loss of all her sons , father and brothers ... how did she endure all this 😕
Edited by divyasn - 9 years ago