Draupadi: Responsible For The War, Really?

bheegi thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
This debate over who was responsible for the war has been ongoing, perhaps ever since the great epic was written

As I read somewhere: After all, it was easier, and there was no one else man enough to shoulder the burden and accept responsibility. 

Isn't that the truth? In a society where a woman is often blamed for 'inviting rape' or 'sexual molestation' because of her attire or her life style, why are we surprised when the same society blames Draupadi for the war.

Unfortunately, a lot of these people who point fingers at Draupadi are educated, liberal and women themselves.

If Draupadi was really responsible for the great war then how does one explain:

1. Drupad's desire to have a son who could avenge Drona one day. Draupadi just happened to 'pop' out from the same fire, uninvited and undesired.

2. The ongoing rivalry between the Kauravs and Pandavs since they were kids. I'm sure Draupadi planted seeds of this rivalry even before she was born

3. The sharing arrangement between the Pandav brothers. Hell, yeah, she asked for it because she desired so many men...oh no, she asked for it in her previous birth. The men and their mom were just fulfilling prophecy!

4. The convenient interpolations to the original text (assuming CE is more authentic) of her insults to Karna and Duryodhana- just to justify their actions in the dyut sabha!

5. Yudhistra gambling her away and her open molestation in the sabha- of course what could Yudhi do, he was bound by dharma and so were tons of maharathis like Bhishma, Drona etc.

6. She invited Jaidrath and Keechak to molest her so they could also play a role in laying the foundations towards the war.

7. Even after the exile, the Pandavs were reluctant to wage a war if they had five villages granted to them. Once that peace offer was rejected, they couldn't sit back and went all out for the war

Granted, Draupadi wanted herself avenged but did she ever ask for a large scale battle like Kurukshetra? She would've been content if her husbands had just supported her, been there for her when she needed them and perhaps just killed the four main culprits...

The blame is not with the Kauravas, not with the Pandavas, not with the elders of the court; it was not a war fought of greed, of lust, of envy or of pride but of gender. The blame of the the great war of Kurukshetra, of Mahabharata lies with Draupadi, a woman because she was one. (ref: http://www.themisfitgirl.com/2010/07/draupadi-blame.html)

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

amritat thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Great post Bheegi...
I suppose the last paragraph is from a blog...
But the rest are ur words, right?

Anyway, nice post...full of satire n yes the truth, which mostpeople dont want to see.
I guess people blame Draupadi, either bcoz they have not read the text or bcoz they want their favourite characters to be spared...
Either way, the truth does not change...
Besides, if a woman could dictate n declare war, then she herself would have sat on the throne...

And u r right...Like it is said, 'A woman is the greatest enemy of another woman'...
Sometimes as saas, bahu, nanad n sautan n sometimes as blind, insensitive bashers of victims...

I hope someday, people realize this truth, n various authors stop demeaning Draupadi in their novels by putting all the blame on her...
Sabhayata thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
The very fact that pandavs were ready to forget every insult of panchali and go in for peace proves that Draupadi wasn't responsible for this war

For me no other explanation is needed

Yes she wanted the war ,she was anti peace but pandavas didn't fight the war for her

If they wanted to fight for her they would have never gone in for peace

They only fought after peace process wasn't successful and they had no choice but to fight for their land

Draupadi got avenged as a result for this war but pandavs dindt fight the war for her

If dury would have accepted the peace proposal pandavas would have happily lived with their 5 villages

bheegi thumbnail
Originally posted by: amritat

Great post Bheegi...
I suppose the last paragraph is from a blog...
But the rest are ur words, right?

Anyway, nice post...full of satire n yes the truth, which mostpeople dont want to see.
I guess people blame Draupadi, either bcoz they have not read the text or bcoz they want their favourite characters to be spared...
Either way, the truth does not change...
Besides, if a woman could dictate n declare war, then she herself would have sat on the throne...

And u r right...Like it is said, 'A woman is the greatest enemy of another woman'...
Sometimes as saas, bahu, nanad n sautan n sometimes as blind, insensitive bashers of victims...

I hope someday, people realize this truth, n various authors stop demeaning Draupadi in their novels by putting all the blame on her...

Thanks AMrita...yeah the last para is from that blog I referenced but the rest is mine.Today, after hearing/reading that people are blaming Draupadi for the war, I couldn't resist myself

Unfortunately, in today's episode, Draupadi's words: maine hi pratishodh maanga tha didn't go down well with me. No where in the epic does Draupadi say she was responsible for the war- because she wasn't and after today's statement in the show, SP has just given fodder to those minds who want to blame Draupadi

bheegi thumbnail
Originally posted by: Sabhayata

The very fact that pandavs were ready to forget every insult of panchali and go in for peace proves that Draupadi wasn't responsible for this war

For me no other explanation is needed

Yes she wanted the war ,she was anti peace but pandavas didn't fight the war for her

If they wanted to fight for her they would have never gone in for peace

They only fought after peace process wasn't successful and they had no choice but to fight for their land

Draupadi got avenged as a result for this war but pandavs dindt fight the war for her

If dury would have accepted the peace proposal pandavas would have happily lived with their 5 villages

exactly Sabhyata! Yes, she wanted to be avenged but for the Pandavs this war was more for their rights over the kingdom and justice after being exiled and humiliated...they never did it for her. Why does everyone forget that rejected peace prospect. I can imagine Dury, Ashwi blaming Draupadi for the war because they were so self-centered and narcissistic  but why do lay people who know what really happened, blame her?
Edited by bheegi - 9 years ago
amritat thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
So true Bheegi...
I am sure people r flooding Facebook n Twitter with comments of how she was responsible...which is y i dont visit them anymore...

And Sabhayata, if the peace proposal had been accepted then not only the Pandavas but also her tormentors would have lived happily ever after...
Like i keep saying, men wage wars for land, men kill, men gamble, men molest women...

But then ask the reason for disasters n everyone will point fingers at a woman...

Initially, I thought that the CVs r trying to spread awareness regarding Women Empowerment...
This is their idea of it... 🤢

Even the real Gandhari understood Draupadi's pain, despite losing her children.
diva82 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
She wasn't responsible, Dhitaristha was, because he was the King, the acting Emperor, and the pandavas completed their oath and wanted their kingdom back. He should have done the needful and punished the culprits from the gambling arena. In fact, he should have punished Dury long before. 
Sabhayata thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: bheegi

Unfortunately, in today's episode, Draupadi's words: maine hi pratishodh maanga tha didn't go down well with me. No where in the epic does Draupadi say she was responsible for the war- because she wasn't and after today's statement in the show, SP has just given fodder to those minds who want to blame Draupadi

actually i didn't understand this line by⭐️Draupadi

when did ⭐️Draupadi ever want 'pratishod'

after knowing the result of the war ⭐️Draupadi wanted peace not pratishod and thereafter its been established again and again that ⭐️Draupadi and ⭐️Pandvas aren't fighting for pratishod they are fighting for 'samaj kalyan' so where did this pratishod came in ⭐️Draupadi i didn't understand

⭐️Draupadi was ready to forgive dury after dushy vadh so where was this 'pratishod' then

Even in ⭐️Bharat world this statement doeasn't make sense

Yes epic Draupadi wanted pratishod.But its not like that was the highest priority for pandavas.Even Bhima who supported panchali this most in the feeling of 'pratishod' preferred peace

-TomNJerry- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Mahabharat was meant to be! ... no one was solely responsible yet everyone was responsible, they all somewhere contributed!! ... the seed for the war was planted long before Draupadi came into the picture ... but yes everyone helped nourish the seed (the 3-4 generations starting right from Shantanu all contributed) ... and it kept growing uncontrollably! ... at the end it became something no one ever anticipated it to be!! 

But i think from the pandavas side Draupadi was huge motivation factor for the war ... there is a difference between motivation and being the reason!! 

divyasn thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Droupadi would have wanted the war , but she was not responsible for the war ,  the main  persons responsible are  Bheeshm aand Pandu

If Bheeshm hadn't got Gandhari married to drithy  or if Pandu hadn't ditched the kingdom -- the war wouldnt have happened ...

Afterall the war was for kingdom ...  , droupadi's revenge was an added benefit ...