Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

NNGAL thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
i agree with priya. all stars are over rated - bollywood, tellywood or for that matter stars of any other film industry in India. they are so overhyped. they receive much more popularity than they actually deserve.

i know a guy who works for more than twelve hours in every day, tackles two bosses who fight like cats and dogs and also studies for his management aptitude test. he is just one sample of crores of hardworking youth of india. now, if the telly stars work hard for 12 hours a day, why such hype and hoopla about it. after all, everyone has to work hard to earn his / her bread..

and like icing on the cake, there are people who literally worship stars... i dont deny that i am a fan of a lot of actors. but all that ends with watching them perform and applauding them and i think that's the healthy limit!

before my BP reaches the threshold limit... let me stop.. 😆
AishwaryaRathod thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
well i have yet so see a bwood actor screeeching away when their spouses get awards or perform--GK maintains her dignity at all the award functions as do suzanne roshan and Mrs. B; GK-SRK; HR-SKR; heck even FK-nattasha or amrita and her arm candy(whatever his name is) do not indulge in over-enthusiastic PDA; if any at all like the telly couples who are a walking match.com advert and seriously need to consider being a walking commercial for that company; even salman-katrina act with dignity and salman does not give 87547854957 intvws about katrina's weight gain or weight loss(sorry bad example but an example all the same); and BWOOD has a much more global platform than tellywood-- ppl of all races know aishwarya and Mr. Bachchan and SRK BUT other than the indian diasphora TV viewer not many wuld know tv stars;

Ash at a chelsea match versus Kanchi Kaul at garba; the former would be written about more just because its Ash; and who on TV would even have the guts to remake DON because we KNOW the new DON will have a LOTTT of detractors despite SRK saying like a broken record that he is paying tribute and not trying to take Mr. B's place;and ppl have already attacked the fact that he uses numerous gizmos and is technologcally savvy as shown in the promos; if it was made for tv there wuld be hyperbolic statements such as "i m tv's mr. bachchan going around just like there was a statement about how a certain NB 2 participant said he was tv's HR; Pleasssee duuudeeeee--no one can touch HR and NEWSFLASH-- you are NOT HR ; also who would go through the trouble hrithik took for D:2;

fine let that be BUT does one see Mrs. B give 574885789857895 intvws about the fact that India's most respected actor is married to her??Does GK screech about SRK's next movie??Did GK even give one intvw for producing MHN??Does Suzanne draaaaag HR away when pretty girls approach him for pics/autographs??NOOOOOO!!!but tv wives do go on record with hyperbolic quotes such as "my husband is the best looking guy in india"; does Bips flaunt John in comparison??

and as far as school goes--its not like bwood has dumbbbb bimbos with no education--Ash has a degree in architecture; SRK has a masters degree and is immensely well read; Abhi studied in switzerland and NY;and why blame them if the media writes 754849578395 things about their lives--at least HR neverr everrr says "i did krrish and thus i must go on holiday with suzanne"; he'll go and the media will report it BUT in the case of tv stars it will be a direct intvw saying" i am tireddd and thus i need a break"

i hope the difference comes across; and i am not undermining a guy who works and studies at the same time--that is worthy of applause BUT would he be willing to act and have his life all over the papers and be public property;one must always look at both sides of the coin 😊

Edited by legallyblonde21 - 17 years ago
insouciance thumbnail

Bottomline..Television stars are overhyped..They(unlike some of their bollywood counterparts) let their success get to their heads,resulting in their heards getting over inflated with superciliousness and uppityness...They act as though the world is at their feet,when it isnt.... 😕

Certain tv star' interviews and certain repeated quotes gets my goat...When we read some interesting news about a certain star for the first time,Its nice and juicy,fodder for gossip 😛 ....When we hear or read it the second time,We'd be like "yeah,I know this"...when we read it again for the third time,we'd be like "umm..yeah"...The fourth time,it'd be like "yeah whatever..."...and when it gets repeated for the 5th time,it gets really monotonous and annoying..AND IT DOESNT STOP AT ..IT GOES ON.....we keep reading repeated recycled articles and quotes,which gives a full trailor into the unmeasured depths of their idiocy 🤢

Like recently,Mr.Iqbal Khan was denied a visa to the United States,because his name happened to be that of a wanted terrorist..Now Mr Iqbal was disappointed,and it was reported by the media..Till now,fine,perfectly fathomable😊 ....yeah,some sympathised,some felt that every asian is scrutinized ,so its nothing new..Now this fellow went on to blow this issue out of proportion,went on to give some really asinine interviews..Quoting him "Maybe I'll never be allowed into the US. Maybe my face resembles Osama's...One day they'll probably give me my visa. Until then, I can always visit Iran, Iraq, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Afghanistan, Maldives, Kuwait, Brunei, Pakistan, Bangladesh and all the other Muslim countries…",....

Now what was the need to make such stupid statements(it wasnt tongue in cheek..it was plain stupid!)...As much as SRk might be overhyped,he has never been so silly to make such silly preposterous statements.....This was just one television star..the fact is,Everyone(or mostly everyone) is like Mr.Khan..They blow the most trivial issues out of proportion,to garner some publicity..Someone sprains their ankle,some 2 dozen articles and interviews,someone fell sick,10 articles..I mean,these people need to give us a break!..Some cheapos of Bollywood also do the same,but the ratio of television publicity stunts:bollywood publicity stunts is very very high...say 100:1..... 🤢

That's where the difference lies,...I agree,actors of both mediums are overhyped,but the bollywood stars atleast carry themselves with great dignity.... ...Sorry telly fans,but bollywood actors handle their fame with more maturity👏

Edited by Buffie - 17 years ago
shikara thumbnail
Buffie I agree with your points. But let me refute by saying. The stars you are comparing are quite different.

You are comparing the creme de la creme of bollywood with regularity of TV. It is unfair to compare RDB with KYPH. Come on KYPH should be compared to some thing like maybe humko Dewaana Kargaye or something. That would be more on the same level and tell me are they really that far apart in terms of creativity acting etc.?

As for PDA I have witnessed bollywood stars indulging in that many times. Heck I saw a video of Mr.and Mrs. Bachan indulging in a lip lock at JW Mariott on the release of some book on his 60th B'day. Secondly actors of the fame level of SRK Hrithik and Mr. B do notneed to advetise themselves, they ares o famous everyone will write about them. But how many John and celina and Priyankas, Amishas and Kareenas do we not see airing their dirty laundry in public and screaming I'm so hot, I'm the best etc.

Coming to talent, I dont deny that Hrithiko and Aamir are hugely talented but do you think they would have had so many oppurtunites and roles to prove themselves had they not had good filmi connections? Do yuo think you or I had we been actors has so many A list directors working with us inspite of delivering so many flops?

Lastly we definately agree on one thing Both bollywood (esp. SRK) and TV stars are over hyped and they shouldnt be and god spare us from star ego whether they are TV or Movie.

insouciance thumbnail

Originally posted by: shikara

Buffie I agree with your points. But let me refute by saying. The stars you are comparing are quite different.

You are comparing the creme de la creme of bollywood with regularity of TV. It is unfair to compare RDB with KYPH. Come on KYPH should be compared to some thing like maybe humko Dewaana Kargaye or something. That would be more on the same level and tell me are they really that far apart in terms of creativity acting etc.?

Agreed certain movies are crass....But atleast the movies get over in 3 hours,whereas the soaps are neverending....

Now coming to the comparison,i was comparing the creme de la creme of bollywood to the creme de la creme of tellwood(I believe Eijaz,Ronit Roy,Iqbal,RAjeev etc are the most sought after and the highest paid actors)......Bollywood and television are afterall two mediums of entertainment,and I know the budget of the serials is pretty low compared to the budget of the movies,but the acting I feel can definitely be compared!..Aamir isnt called a great actor for nothing😛 ..In bollywood,thankfully offlate certain movies are like a breath of fresh air,a welcome departure from the norm(RDB,Omkara,Munna Bhai etc)..Whereas,if we survey the television launches(a ka Karam Apna Apna,Kaajjal etc),the ambience,the backdrop,the script..everything seems so cliched..Now yes,Even certain bollywood movies are regressive,but the ratio of good movies to the retrogressive ones isnt as high as that in tellywood(where the ratio is like 555545856552112414556663324479652458658966251:1🤢😆)....

I watched a few glimpses of karam Apna Apna,and the very look and the very SAME parties(the kekta parties with a chick performing to some random song,the leading lady shedding buckets of tears,and a promiscuous swine being talled "cool") turned me off...

As for PDA I have witnessed bollywood stars indulging in that many times. Heck I saw a video of Mr.and Mrs. Bachan indulging in a lip lock at JW Mariott on the release of some book on his 60th B'day.

NO,I agree that PDA exists in bollywood too,but thankfully the denizens do it in moderation,whereas one can spot a telly actor and his wife/betrothed/GF smooching/coochicooing(spelling lol) at every darn party...They act like junglees,as though they havent ever seen the limelight earlier and thus hog it🤢.....

Secondly actors of the fame level of SRK Hrithik and Mr. B do notneed to advetise themselves, they are so famous everyone will write about them. But how many John and celina and Priyankas, Amishas and Kareenas do we not see airing their dirty laundry in public and screaming I'm so hot, I'm the best etc.

LOL,you forgot SRK..Offlate its him who has been bragging way too much😆 ...But One thing I must give credit to,SRK is dignified....on Koffee with Karan,he and gauri didnt behave like two love crazed teenagers who finally get themselves a GF/BF and then go around gasconading "Hey look,he /she is the best ..and I GOTTTTTTTTTT HIMMMMMMMMMMMM"🤢😆...One might say that SRk-Gauri are old,but even the younger couples like Hrithik and his wife behaved well..Whereas,if you watch any television actor at any party,they would be acting like two erotomaniacs..I mean,they surely need to practice some restraint.....

About the publicity,yes,they arent that popular,and thus they need to brag about themselves to be noticed..But,they need to be prepared for the onslaught too...and publicity can be garnered without having resorting to antics....Pawan Shankar is a great actor,and he markets himself indeed very well,but that fellow is atleast a tad dignified,so are ronit roy and his wife....Wanting to be written about is fine,but the levels to which some stoop just to feature in the hitlist section of Mid Day is gross🤢

Coming to talent, I dont deny that Hrithiko and Aamir are hugely talented but do you think they would have had so many oppurtunites and roles to prove themselves had they not had good filmi connections? Do you think you or I had we been actors has so many A list directors working with us inspite of delivering so many flops?

Yes,everyone from Hrithik to Abhishek have got a multitude of chances,good projects etc..Heck,infact I do agree that Abhishek's claim to fame was his lineage..But what's remarkable is that,most of these people are dignified..They are humble(barring perhaps kareena and the uber snooty Kajol😡)..Bipasha and John are touted to be very warm and friendly...and I am speaking out of personal experience..I met John in my city when he was here for an inauguration,and I can vouch for the fact that thet guy is down to earth,and me being a detractor of John saying this😃(and I'm not the kind who gets convinced too easily)..He was incredibly friendly,took time to speak to certain lovelorn girls who were literally shriekinggggggg😆(🤢)...he handled the situation very well,and was careful not to hurt anybody...We have girls hugging him(One of my friend hugged john😉😆)....and Bipasha isnt the least insecure,...whereas,certain television star wives are infamous for throwing attitude,for dragging their better halves away when approached by fans..Its the general attitude that I'm comparing,from personal experience,I can say that Bollywood actors are more cool with their fans,and respect their fans(barring kajol,kareena)....something which isnt the forte of all television actors

AishwaryaRathod thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
i agree to what anusha says...karam apna apna; kasauti; etc are just tooooo regressive and now kaajjalll is coming up with the sameee 'love-lorn' village girl is looking for her sapno ka raaj kumar that will carry her away--aww look we are showing you the newest version of a disney classic in desi style";

as for PDA--most of the tellywood couples are just soooo ostentatiously pestiferous; i too have met John when he was in London and trust me there was no dearth of swooning scrreeching girls trying to clinggg to him and making a horrendous spectacle of themselves 🤢🤢 during a chance meeting at Harrods BUT john handled them with a lot of elan and even waited to talk to the ones who waited for the hoo-haa to clear before we said hello; as for Bips she just stood back with an amused  expression; and I also remember the Temptations concert in 2004 that i went to and my sister,my cousins and I were waiting outside for one of our friends who had gone to the ladies room when this 12 year old girl came outside and she was sobbing uncontrollably because she hadn't taken a picture with SRK or got his autograph and Gauri Khan was walking past us and she saw that girl and she stopped and looked at her and asked her what was wrong and the girl said "I...*gasp*sob* w..w..want to see *sob* SRK and Gauri looked up and said; do all of you wish to meet him?/well come in"; and she took us all(even those of us who were waiting for our friend) backstage and although the dumbbb idiotic security ppl took the cameras away we still got to meet srk because GK wanted us to;and then she walked us back outside so that security wouldnt ask their dumb Qs; now which of the tv wives would care that a little girl was sobbing; or that it wuld be unfair as well to the other girls if the girls werent taken to meet THEIR star husbands??the tv wives would just walk in and roll their eyes at the 12 yr old and prbly even ask security NOT to let anyone in 🤢

and as for SRK's dumb statements has anyone ever considered that they might just be you know --a JOKE 😛 some humour?? 😛

and heck even shahid and kareena as annoying as they are did not give 576748548358435 intvws about their appearance at manish's show for delhi fashion week; neither did mehr jessia and arjun rampal talk nonstop when mehr returned to the ramp for a designer; heck even shweta bachchan did not publicize her walk on the ramp for abu-sandeep;and if it was a telly couple their appearance or non-apapearance would have made them give 4637246732463284832 boisterous intvws about it for example a certain person's desire not to be part of NB was talked about until the world was about to faint with boredom 🤢😡

heck has arbaaz khan ever said 4673287423 things about malaika's presence on NB as a judge???

so whatever said--there is a difference in the way bwood celebrities conduct themselves in comparison to the twood stars
Edited by legallyblonde21 - 17 years ago
MNMS thumbnail
Before this bashing thread my equation was:

😊 + 😃+ 😆+😳+😉+ 😎 = Maryam.

After all the bashing.. now my equation is:

541361389632 X = Maryam

😕
Minnie thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: legallyblonde21

i agree to what anusha says...karam apna apna; kasauti; etc are just tooooo regressive and now kaajjalll is coming up with the sameee 'love-lorn' village girl is looking for her sapno ka raaj kumar that will carry her away--aww look we are showing you the newest version of a disney classic in desi style";

as for PDA--most of the tellywood couples are just soooo ostentatiously pestiferous; i too have met John when he was in London and trust me there was no dearth of swooning scrreeching girls trying to clinggg to him and making a horrendous spectacle of themselves 🤢🤢 during a chance meeting at Harrods BUT john handled them with a lot of elan and even waited to talk to the ones who waited for the hoo-haa to clear before we said hello; as for Bips she just stood back with an amused  expression; and I also remember the Temptations concert in 2004 that i went to and my sister,my cousins and I were waiting outside for one of our friends who had gone to the ladies room when this 12 year old girl came outside and she was sobbing uncontrollably because she hadn't taken a picture with SRK or got his autograph and Gauri Khan was walking past us and she saw that girl and she stopped and looked at her and asked her what was wrong and the girl said "I...*gasp*sob* w..w..want to see *sob* SRK and Gauri looked up and said; do all of you wish to meet him?/well come in"; and she took us all(even those of us who were waiting for our friend) backstage and although the dumbbb idiotic security ppl took the cameras away we still got to meet srk because GK wanted us to;and then she walked us back outside so that security wouldnt ask their dumb Qs; now which of the tv wives would care that a little girl was sobbing; or that it wuld be unfair as well to the other girls if the girls werent taken to meet THEIR star husbands??the tv wives would just walk in and roll their eyes at the 12 yr old and prbly even ask security NOT to let anyone in 🤢

and as for SRK's dumb statements has anyone ever considered that they might just be you know --a JOKE 😛 some humour?? 😛

and heck even shahid and kareena as annoying as they are did not give 576748548358435 intvws about their appearance at manish's show for delhi fashion week; neither did mehr jessia and arjun rampal talk nonstop when mehr returned to the ramp for a designer; heck even shweta bachchan did not publicize her walk on the ramp for abu-sandeep;and if it was a telly couple their appearance or non-apapearance would have made them give 4637246732463284832 boisterous intvws about it for example a certain person's desire not to be part of NB was talked about until the world was about to faint with boredom 🤢😡

heck has arbaaz khan ever said 4673287423 things about malaika's presence on NB as a judge???

so whatever said--there is a difference in the way bwood celebrities conduct themselves in comparison to the twood stars

That was beautiful of gauri.....hats off to her. She really is a beauiful person, no doubt about it.

However, the thing is, it's highly unfair to compare bollywood vs tellywwod stars. Bollywood stars are news even if they sneeze, they don't really have to 'do' anything to be in news. However, while the tv stars work 3 times as hard for the one tenth of the money a bolly star gets, they still have to do things to be in limelight. Especially the ones who love attention.

Now, saying Bollywood stars never do anything to gain attention ......or behave badly in public...........umnnnn I am amused. the other name for Bollywwod is gossip. Any star, big or otherwise, and wants to be in news, does things which would keep him/her in public. So we have a Salmaan - Ash washing their dirty linen in public, we have Tina Munim and Rajesh Khanna going in print to say they share a tooth brush.......🤢, we have a Mazhar Khan - Zeenat Aman fighting like pigs in public, we have Zarina Wahab slap Ekta ( currently Mohnish Behl's wife) because she would not leave Aditya pancholi alone.........even the 50s saw krishna kapoor beating nargis up with a jhadoo because she would not leave Raj kapoor alone..........we have had the dirtiest of fight that karishma got in with her then estranged hubby and matter going to court ......

What the poor telly guys do is peanuts in compared to what the bolly stars have been doing. For one bad tv couple, we have several fabulous oes.......and for one bad bolly star, we have several great ones. In the end, all of them are overrated, and they get so because at some point of their career, they have done something, played a character, and entertained us.......and hence, I daresay, they deserve it.

Edited by Minnie - 17 years ago
lashy thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
you are forgetting that SRK was also a bolly-wannabe when he started in his telly world through fauji - so yes he was also a hiten/eijaz of his time

anusha and sheenz, i have noticed that whenever you do compare the telly actors or actresses to bollywood you follow only 5 comparisons 😛

John-bipasha/SRK-gauri/The bachchan family/Roshans 😕

Vs

Apoorva-shilpa/iqbal-sneha (maybe)/ shakti-sai(maybe)/manini-mihir 😕

what about gauri-hiten, manasi-rohit, delnaz-rajiv?

and as far as bollywood actors and their lives -

salman ( i dont even wanna start), akshay (and what all he did before he settled with twinkle), sanjay dutt ( 😕 ), imraan hashmi (and his famous affair with a married woman), amir khan (and not just leaving his wife but celebrating his 2nd marriage like he was 26) amisha patel (and the very few that she ever gets along with) the kapoors (who never cease to be out of major family problems) mallika sherawat (and how she loves herself more than romeo loved juliet) sushmita sen (dont know if ankahee was true to life... but she was also responsible for making the life of married woman miserable neverthless) ash (and her falling reputation with how she deals with men in her life) saif (rosa), preity (many many men), rani (what the hell was govinda doing in her life?)...

I have listed all the other top actors that came into my mind in the first 5 minutes😆. is it rare to find actors canvassing for themselves.. have you seen page 3 and how many bollywoodians testified to it being true to a T.

I find preity, mallika sherawat and amisha patel incredibly shrieky and clingy as well.

just using a few couples (or people) you are generalising the whole thing which is like comparing doctors to surgeons.
Edited by lashforever - 17 years ago
shikara thumbnail
well said Minnie and lash forever!!! 👏

Also would like to add another point. Poor telly stars have to do all the publising etc themselves. Where as for bollywoods stars they have sources and gossip which outs everythign even before they have to. Eg. When Ash was dating Salmad, the only way for her to make a headline was to deny her affair cause everyone knoew what was happening from what they had to breakfast to when he hit her. So you see for bollywood stars denial or no coomment is front page news and then a laek from a source out all their grudges and problems!!! 😆