uknaik99 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 17 years ago
Sulakshana Pandit's riches-to-rags story 
By Subhash K. Jha, September 12, 2006 - 02:53 IST
"At one time I just wanted to look as glamorous as Sulakshana Pandit," Shabana Azmi said in one of her interviews. Her story is the stuff Hindi melodramas were made of. It's a classic riches-to-rags story. But done with a horribly contemporary twist.

At one time Sulakshana Pundit was the belle of the Bollywood ball. Slated to be Indian cinema's first singer-actress after Noor Jehan and Suraiya, Sulakshana sang a number of hits at the peak of Lata Mangeshkar and Asha Bhosle's crooning reign.

Not only did Sulakshana get to sing extensively, she also played the lead opposite the top-most stars of the 1970s including Jeetendra (Khandaan, Sankoch) and Sanjeev Kumar (Uljhan). In fact she was in love with Sanjeev and badly wanted to marry him. But a Hema-besotted Sanjeev never took her feelings seriously.

Rebuffed in love, Sulakshana's world fell apart. She lost all her money and fame…Worst of all, the siblings whom she mothered into success refused to support her, rendering her emotionally bereft and homeless….Until she was taken in by her brother-in-law composer Aadesh Shrivastava and her sister Vijayta.

Today Sulakshana is healed and whole again, and well on the way to recovering ground. Says Aadesh, "When Vijayta suggested that Sulakshanaji come and stay with her, I immediately agreed. In fact it was something I had been thinking of. Today she's with us, very much part of our family. Sulakshanaji is ready to sing again. She keeps telling me to create a whole album for her. And I'm going to do just that for her very soon."

Adds, Vijayta, "I'm so glad my sister is at home with us. It couldn't have been done without my husband's support and encouragement. It's so important for a woman to keep her links with her own family after marriage. My husband is sensitive enough to understand that. I guess I'm lucky."

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

filmi_chick99 thumbnail
thanx for sharing kavita di........she sounds really nice.........and the story is just so sad yet so sweet.............. 😭
Sur_Sangam thumbnail

Originally posted by: uknaik99

Sulakshana Pandit's riches-to-rags story 
By Subhash K. Jha, September 12, 2006 - 02:53 IST
"At one time I just wanted to look as glamorous as Sulakshana Pandit," Shabana Azmi said in one of her interviews. Her story is the stuff Hindi melodramas were made of. It's a classic riches-to-rags story. But done with a horribly contemporary twist.

At one time Sulakshana Pundit was the belle of the Bollywood ball. Slated to be Indian cinema's first singer-actress after Noor Jehan and Suraiya, Sulakshana sang a number of hits at the peak of Lata Mangeshkar and Asha Bhosle's crooning reign.

Not only did Sulakshana get to sing extensively, she also played the lead opposite the top-most stars of the 1970s including Jeetendra (Khandaan, Sankoch) and Sanjeev Kumar (Uljhan). In fact she was in love with Sanjeev and badly wanted to marry him. But a Hema-besotted Sanjeev never took her feelings seriously.

Rebuffed in love, Sulakshana's world fell apart. She lost all her money and fame…Worst of all, the siblings whom she mothered into success refused to support her, rendering her emotionally bereft and homeless….Until she was taken in by her brother-in-law composer Aadesh Shrivastava and her sister Vijayta.

Today Sulakshana is healed and whole again, and well on the way to recovering ground. Says Aadesh, "When Vijayta suggested that Sulakshanaji come and stay with her, I immediately agreed. In fact it was something I had been thinking of. Today she's with us, very much part of our family. Sulakshanaji is ready to sing again. She keeps telling me to create a whole album for her. And I'm going to do just that for her very soon."

Adds, Vijayta, "I'm so glad my sister is at home with us. It couldn't have been done without my husband's support and encouragement. It's so important for a woman to keep her links with her own family after marriage. My husband is sensitive enough to understand that. I guess I'm lucky."

wow....very good article..Thanks for sharing..Looking forward to hear  Sulakshna Pandit again.. Edited by Sur_Sangam - 17 years ago
Chits1 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
thanks for this wonderful article. 👏
Gemini31 thumbnail
Thank you for the post.Finally heard something good about AS.
indus thumbnail
right....something good....hope she doesn't have to go thru bad times again....
last article on this subject highlighted her pathetic situation....this is better..
*salil* thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I know it is not appropriate to make comments without knowing the family situation but still I was wondering how her brothers Jatin and Lalit did not offer her to stay with them and her sister has to come forward. They (JL) are more successful than Adesh. Jalit was talking about selling his flat to keep Sharib in Bombay but he has no place for his own kin?
kd286 thumbnail
Its nice to hear she is healing ........

Salil ji...

Kya karen zamana aisa hai ?
rock191 thumbnail
WELL.............SAID..................SALILU

INFACT.............I..WAS..ALSO..THINKING..THE..SAME....
rock191 thumbnail
GOD..BLESS..ADESHJI..AND...VIJAYETAJI