Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Angie12 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 8 years ago

😆 😆

The first one and the second one definitely applies to me.  

😡 About  the third one.  And there is nothing too late about giving gifts.  I believe in rain checks when it comes to getting birthday presents.    So if it is available on time, can always get it later.  Don't believe in punishing people by not taking their gifts just because they procrastinated or took too much in deciding about it.  😉😆
Angie12 thumbnail
Ok now about Ashoka.
Last week, the episodes got into total paisa vasool (money's worth) category.  As per soaps rule,  Ashok is becoming nobler day by day.  If he is this noble before leap,  wonder what would happen post leap?  In any case, the show is like those old time movies (1970s type) where the hero is hero, villain is villain and never the twain shall they meet.  In other words,  there is no redeeming quality in villain and there is no flaw in hero except that he is too noble for his own good.  

Forum people were right when they compared the tournament with Harry Potter's tournament.  There were three stages and the final stage was the maze where the prize was Chandragupt's sword.  As an aside, I do like that sword as it is very stylish.  Wonder where I can buy it as the stores always have the most plain ones.

Coming back to the show,  Ashok reached the place where sword was kept in the maze designed by Chanakya.  Then he waited while I was shouting for him to hurry up as Sushim was coming.  Well there was a reason for him waiting there.  Sushim came and tried to kill him and they had a showdown that is shown in the climax of movies. Ashok remembering the humiliations he suffered at Sushim's hands and Sushim remembering Ashok's triumphs.  So for each insult Ashok suffered, he beat up Sushim quite badly and for each defeat that Ashok inflicted on Sushim,  Sushim tried to hit Ashok but failed.  Anyway, in the end Ashok took the sword and was close to finishing line.  Sushim on the other hand has only one sychophant left as all of his previous friends have now become loyalists towards Ashok.  So he was going to lose until another bout of nobility attacked Ashok.

So a tiger (not sure if it was supposed to be Chandragupt Maurya) came and was about to make Sushim his dinner.  Except for Ashok who rushed there to save Sushim as if Sushim was his heroine.  So Sushim took the sword while Ashok battled the tiger.  Tiger after seeing Ashok's acrobats was so impressed that he just saluated him and left the jungle.  Sushim on the other hand jumped from the tree where he was hiding and crossed the finish line.  This was Friday's cliffhanger.  The bad teacher was smiling evilly at Ashok's defeat while the good warrior teacher (hired by Chanakya) just gave an enigmatic smile.  So I guess all is not lost with Ashok's nobility.  It is so hard to pass the time while waiting for Ashok to win today.  I have a very boring paper to finish.  So who would want to work on the paper (that is due this week) vs. watching Ashok winning against the cheating Sushim.

But my only question is:  How is Ashok going to kill the grown up Sushim when even as a child he did not take advantage of Sushim becoming tiger's meal.  The other question is that does Bindusar really love his sons?  I understand that he does not know Ashok is his son and rest are not from royal family.  So he does not care if the game includes real crocodiles, blood thirsty tribals, quick sand, tiger etc. for the common and noble blood kids.    But two out of his three known sons are also participating in the game.  Does he not care about losing two heirs?  He is such a dumb king who has not figured out that his step mother is evil, one of his main wife is having an affair with his half brother, the main queen is practicing black magic and witchcraft, and the love of his life wife is living right under his nose.  If it was not Chanakya or Dharma, he would have neither kingdom nor life.  Oh well... the consolation is that at least Chanakya is not dumb in the show.  At least not until now.
Angie12 thumbnail
Monday's Ashoka episode turned out to be damp squib.  Good teacher Akaramak's enignmatic smile at Sushim's "win" was nothing.  It just meant that he is a good guy who even smiles when his favorite student loses.  Chanakya was flabbergasted at Ashok's defeat.  He was having a conversation with irritating Dharma (Ashok's mom) at the top of the hill when Sushim zoomed below in the valley on his horse carrying the fabled sword.  So Chanakya was not happy.  But isn't part of it his fault.  Couldn't he use at least one of his spy to tail Sushim and Ashok and find out the truth.  Anyway, for now Sushim is declared the winner.  Tomorrow it seems that Ashok is going to be there to get back the sword by trying to enlighten his not so bright estranged father Bindusar.  
Actually, Dharma is the reason for Ashok's problems.  She is so irritatingly possessive of Ashok in the name of protectiveness.  She was happy when she saw that Sushim had a sword because Chanakya had told her that he was going to disclose the truth about her and Ashok to Bindusar.  She has decided that everyone can be reformed with love.  TV Chanakya has so much patience because he tries to make TV Dharma understand that some people cannot be reformed and sometimes you have to fight back to establish rule of law and achieve peace.  But TV Dharma just refuses to listen to him.   With a mother like Dharma and a dumbo father like Bindusar, it is a miracle that Ashok is not a messed up kid (at least in the show).  

Anyway, this is for now until something substantial happens in the show.
Edited by Angie12 - 8 years ago
misti73 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Angie12

😆 😆

The first one and the second one definitely applies to me.  

😡 About  the third one.  And there is nothing too late about giving gifts.  I believe in rain checks when it comes to getting birthday presents.    So if it is available on time, can always get it later.  Don't believe in punishing people by not taking their gifts just because they procrastinated or took too much in deciding about it.  😉😆

misti73 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Monday's Ashoka episode turned out to be damp squib.  Good teacher Akaramak's enignmatic smile at Sushim's "win" was nothing.  It just meant that he is a good guy who even smiles when his favorite student loses.  Chanakya was flabbergasted at Ashok's defeat.  He was having a conversation with irritating Dharma (Ashok's mom) at the top of the hill when Sushim zoomed below in the valley on his horse carrying the fabled sword.  So Chanakya was not happy.  But isn't part of it his fault.  Couldn't he use at least one of his spy to tail Sushim and Ashok and find out the truth.  Anyway, for now Sushim is declared the winner.  Tomorrow it seems that Ashok is going to be there to get back the sword by trying to enlighten his not so bright estranged father Bindusar.  

Actually, Dharma is the reason for Ashok's problems.  She is so irritatingly possessive of Ashok in the name of protectiveness.  She was happy when she saw that Sushim had a sword because Chanakya had told her that he was going to disclose the truth about her and Ashok to Bindusar.  She has decided that everyone can be reformed with love.  TV Chanakya has so much patience because he tries to make TV Dharma understand that some people cannot be reformed and sometimes you have to fight back to establish rule of law and achieve peace.  But TV Dharma just refuses to listen to him.   With a mother like Dharma and a dumbo father like Bindusar, it is a miracle that Ashok is not a messed up kid (at least in the show).  

Anyway, this is for now until something substantial happens in the show.

Angie the following article in TOI reminded me of your fav show...

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Emperor-Ashoka-caught-in-caste-row/articleshow/47363514.cms 

PATNA: Within days of BJP officials gathering under the Rashtravadi Kushwaha Parishad rubric to celebrate the 2320th birth anniversary of Emperor Ashoka, historians assailed the party for claiming that one of the country's greatest rulers ever was a Kushwaha by caste.

Rashtriya Lok Samata Party, a party of the Kushwahas, is a BJP ally with three seats in the Lok Sabha, and the two parties would be contesting the Bihar assembly elections together.

In fact, on the occasion, Union telecom minister Ravi Shankar Prasad announced issuance of a "beautiful stamp" on Emperor Ashoka and installation of his life-size statue at ASI's protected site at Kumhrar here if the party was voted to power in Bihar. Kushwahas are a dominant OBC community who account for about nine per cent of the total voters in Bihar.

Historian and authority on Ashoka, Romila Thapar, said there was no reference to the emperor's caste in any of ancient texts. "These (BJP) leaders must have created their own 'imaginary' picture of Ashoka as shown in TV serials," Thapar told TOI over phone from Delhi on Wednesday. "Whatever they say is without any historical basis. They are trying to distort historical facts without any historical reference," she added.

Thapar, a professor emeritus at JNU, wrote the book, 'Ashoka and Decline of Mauryas' in 1961 - a work based on Ashokan edicts.

Quoting late historian R S Sharma, former HoD, department of history, Patna University, Rajeshwar Prasad Singh said, "According to the Brahminical tradition, Chandragupta Maurya was born of 'Mura', a shudra woman in the court of the ruling Nands. However, an earlier Buddhist text speaks of Mauryas as the ruling clan of the little republic of 'Pipphalivana' in the region of Gorakhpur near Nepal terai. In all likelihood, Chandragupta Maurya was the member of Kshatriya clan."

However, RKP official and BJP MLC Suraj Nandan Prasad Kushwaha insisted he had documents to prove Ashoka's Kushwaha lineage.

"I have all the records to prove my claim... We've been celebrating his birth anniversary for the last several years," he said. Prasad teaches history in Guru Govind Singh College, Patna City.

Another historian and former HoD, History, Delhi University, D N Jha echoed Thapar's views and said it was unfortunate that the BJP leaders were raising such issues for political mileage.

K K Mandal, who teaches Ancient Indian history at Tilka Manjhi Bhagalpur University, said, "This is, in fact, a part of political agenda of the BJP and attempt to saffronize the issue. It is unfortunate and degrading."
aviation-ca thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: misti73

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Emperor-Ashoka-caught-in-caste-row/articleshow/47363514.cms 

PATNA: Within days of BJP officials gathering under the Rashtravadi Kushwaha Parishad rubric to celebrate the 2320th birth anniversary of Emperor Ashoka, historians assailed the party for claiming that one of the country's greatest rulers ever was a Kushwaha by caste.

Rashtriya Lok Samata Party, a party of the Kushwahas, is a BJP ally with three seats in the Lok Sabha, and the two parties would be contesting the Bihar assembly elections together.

In fact, on the occasion, Union telecom minister Ravi Shankar Prasad announced issuance of a "beautiful stamp" on Emperor Ashoka and installation of his life-size statue at ASI's protected site at Kumhrar here if the party was voted to power in Bihar. Kushwahas are a dominant OBC community who account for about nine per cent of the total voters in Bihar.

Historian and authority on Ashoka, Romila Thapar, said there was no reference to the emperor's caste in any of ancient texts. "These (BJP) leaders must have created their own 'imaginary' picture of Ashoka as shown in TV serials," Thapar told TOI over phone from Delhi on Wednesday. "Whatever they say is without any historical basis. They are trying to distort historical facts without any historical reference," she added.

Thapar, a professor emeritus at JNU, wrote the book, 'Ashoka and Decline of Mauryas' in 1961 - a work based on Ashokan edicts.

Quoting late historian R S Sharma, former HoD, department of history, Patna University, Rajeshwar Prasad Singh said, "According to the Brahminical tradition, Chandragupta Maurya was born of 'Mura', a shudra woman in the court of the ruling Nands. However, an earlier Buddhist text speaks of Mauryas as the ruling clan of the little republic of 'Pipphalivana' in the region of Gorakhpur near Nepal terai. In all likelihood, Chandragupta Maurya was the member of Kshatriya clan."

However, RKP official and BJP MLC Suraj Nandan Prasad Kushwaha insisted he had documents to prove Ashoka's Kushwaha lineage.

"I have all the records to prove my claim... We've been celebrating his birth anniversary for the last several years," he said. Prasad teaches history in Guru Govind Singh College, Patna City.

Another historian and former HoD, History, Delhi University, D N Jha echoed Thapar's views and said it was unfortunate that the BJP leaders were raising such issues for political mileage.

K K Mandal, who teaches Ancient Indian history at Tilka Manjhi Bhagalpur University, said, "This is, in fact, a part of political agenda of the BJP and attempt to saffronize the issue. It is unfortunate and degrading."

How sad that instead of focusing on Ashoka & his life, it is now all about his supposed caste.  If only these politicians had even a small portion of his thinking. Even if Ashoka was of whatever caste, it doesn't make this politician any better...
Angie12 thumbnail

Originally posted by: misti73

Well, it would be ok if he wants to link his caste to Ashok's even if for vote purposes if he was following Ashok's ways too.   Ashok improved infrastructure for the people.  So this MLA or MP should at least consider spending his govt. assigned money (if not his own money) -to improve roads in his consituency.  Was just reading some of articles by journalists on twitter about the state of Bihar's roads.  They are the worst in the country.   And the poverty there is just unbelievable.  Shouldn't he try to make Bihar as prosper and educated as it was in times of Ashok. Or go to places that represent Ashok's ideology and do some constructive work thre.  

But jokes apart,  I feel that elected politicians in a democracy are to large extent reflection of people.  After living in three countries,  I have come to the conclusion that a certain percentage of population can never think beyond religion or race (caste in case of India).  

Indian subcontinent is particularly afflicted with caste issues.  Even young and/or educated people vote or give preferences to candidates of their caste.  And it is regardless of reigion too.  Not only Hindus, but also Sikhs, Muslims, Christians practice so much of caste system within their own religion.  So no wonder such politicians get elected.  Reading twitter is such an eye opener.  Even so called eminent journalists reduce almost every issue to religion or caste needlessly.  It is as if people cannot have any rational discussion about relevant topics without bringing religion or caste into it.  

But I feel that there is some improvement among the general public.  Compared to past times,  they are now more inclined to vote for somebody who talks of development over divisive issues.  But there is a long way to go before such politician themselves become history.  

Edited by Angie12 - 8 years ago
Angie12 thumbnail
Ok...after some entertaining news from Delhi (the never ending entertainment and melodrama for next 5 years), there is some EBP news.
So EBP is going off the air as expected.  Surprising that Star Plus is still giving it a month to run.  They are better than Zee that usually gives 1-2 weeks for a show to wrap up.   After reading the written update today, it seems that CVs picked up their old script, used find and replace button to switch hero to heroine etc.  

For CB1 viewers:  Amma is replaced with Kalindi.   Ajju is now old Shastriji,  Shlok is Radhika, Astha is Abhay/Dev.

I have to say that Manish Wadhwa and Geetanjali were wise to quit the show when they did.  I do hope to see both of them in some other show if I can bring myself to watch it.

jia.astk thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Ok...after some entertaining news from Delhi (the never ending entertainment and melodrama for next 5 years), there is some EBP news.

So EBP is going off the air as expected.  Surprising that Star Plus is still giving it a month to run.  They are better than Zee that usually gives 1-2 weeks for a show to wrap up.   After reading the written update today, it seems that CVs picked up their old script, used find and replace button to switch hero to heroine etc.  

For CB1 viewers:  Amma is replaced with Kalindi.   Ajju is now old Shastriji,  Shlok is Radhika, Astha is Abhay/Dev.

I have to say that Manish Wadhwa and Geetanjali were wise to quit the show when they did.  I do hope to see both of them in some other show if I can bring myself to watch it.

yes Angie, I too read that the series EBP is going to end. I think it s time to move on for the actors as well as there is no more story left in it anymore. In the forum people are signing petition and sending mails to not to end it or run it at least till 2nd anniversary. Its true fans get attached to the show, the characters and want the actors to behave like they see them on screen; they get upset if a particular scene doesn't come out in a particular way (I am also equally involved at some stage in the forum by getting upsetting). But the actors are nowhere close to what they are portrayed on screen and it feels so much better to get detached and watch some thing just for the sake of entertainment. 

The series has stopped making sense long time back; whether it is getting one's  property back or getting one's wife back should be done as a covert operation but there is no legal way to fight it out!! Its not even a point to think about.  What a pathetic way of writing the story.  Only problems are raised but the solutions should not be followed!! I used to watch EBP till one month back even though I was laughing at it or mocking the directors, writers for such crappy story line; stopped watching it now completely. Just will see the last episode.

@BOLD, yes I want to see both of them is some wonderful roles in movies where they can do justice to their talent. 

Coming to movies, recently I watched 2 movies NH10 and Piku. One is a revenge drama and the other is based on father-daughter relationship. Though the problem they state in the Piku movie is kind of gross 😆😆, after certain point you get used to watching them discussing about it on the dining table. Ee jo mothion hein emotion se juda hota hain 😆😉. I liked Irfan's role who looks at their relationship as a outsider.In NH10 liked the way the writer's have established Anushka's traits from the beginning - head-strong, problem solver and brave girl who does not shudder to drive in the middle of night on delhi roads...  
Edited by jia.astk - 8 years ago
chitsss thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Hi ,

So finally EBP is ending! 👏 👏 I can't read through the forum anymore , petition , lets plead to PH/Channel , call up PH/Channel. Really? And what are they going to get if the show gets extended? The story is ruined anyways. Or maybe they just want to continue being hyper over Avinash , Shalmalee and Shrenu. 😕 There is just no limits to the extent people stoop down to.
If the lead couple aren't a pair in reel life it invariably results in two camps being created . One that ships the hero , another the heroine. If the hero finds himself a different partner, he is a b*****d , if it's the heroine she is a b***h. It's really sad to see people think so little of themselves that they are ready to waste lives obsessed over people whom they don't really know ! 😕

If I say Shrenu's costume is crappy then I am a Avi-Shal shipper( Why is the costume department I am so evidently targeting being shielded?) . By what logic? And even if I am why the battle cry? Why should writers bother about 'writing' when the viewers are only interested in off-screen ? If off-screen videos are posted , each pixel will be examined. If they aren't posted , there will abuses and speculation rampant. 😕

Ah... there ! My rant 😆 😆

Besides that , I am done with "Numm". The editing , dubbing etc. is terrible. The direction on weed.At times clear , at times baffled. But the story rules. It questions , it ponders , it answers , it intrigues. Sania Saeed ( female lead) , Fawad Khan (male lead) , Usmaan Peerzada ( supporting character) slither into their roles with ease. Fawad and Sania excel in their scenes together. It can be a drag at times but the story will wade you through.