Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

AishwaryaRathod thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
IT is curious how a forum thinks itself a scholar great enough to look onto with utter disdain an honest effort at a retelling. 
IT is even curious that the forum does not have the resources, time, money, or courage to undertake such a project

IT is even more curious that such a terrible thing is then watched daily

IT is further curious that freedom of words, talk, speech, etc are evoked if one protests against the constant vitriolic slander that occurs daily

and what gets my goat the most--others who want to say something good are either ignored or bashed or relegated to threads that are considered "dumb" or "ignorant" or "appreciative" regardless of said person's knowledge. 

And I wonder why the entire Indian diaspora is watching something that is so bad--the entire diaspora CANNOT be ignorant as is being assumed

Let's just sat if IF was the judge of TRPs and people's choice, TRPs would look totally different from all

AND lastly, i cannot believe I came back to this place. I think i will just forget that such a forum even exists and discuss my views with like minded people. 

P.S. SP isnt about to end the show they put so much money into, that too when it is their 2nd or 3rd most popular show, So regardless of what anyone says, we are hopefully going to get a lot more of this show. If SP wants to end shows, there are so many others it will end before this one

P.P.S this is not bashing mods, I just had to say all this because I ve had enough
Edited by gossipgirl21 - 10 years ago
DrModel thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
@Shyam
dude!! you did not just compare HP to MB
EVERYONE knows HP is FICTION. 
And what do you have to say to people on FB who do not even spare Krishna in their criticisms? 
If MB here is whitewashing the grey as per most people, then surely FB and the twitterverse would not say such deragatory things about Krishna, DPadi, Arjun, Kunti just because their favorite character was not favored by fate? 
Vsoujanya thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
sorry I feel like I am butting in but all I wanted to say was, Mahabharat (The Actual Written One) does not endorse selfish people, illegitimate children, etc etc. Instead it is an epic that portrays human nature and daily life lessons. At the end of the day, it shows you how important a woman's honor is, shows different levels of relationships between a mother and a son, a father and a son, a brother and a brother, a brother and a step brother, and uncle and a nephew and so on. It is there for us to see that in the end we must understand that truth wins over the evil. It shows all the different tensions that occur in families. It shows us to learn from the mistakes of our ancestors. It is like a reference book. And speaking of teenage pregnancy, at the time of the epic, marriages happened at young ages because life expectancy was awfully low. Each character from the epic makes mistakes and learns from them. It is for us to see/read and learn from those mistakes. It is not correct to insult the Mahabharat because personally although I have was born in India and lived there only for a few years, I have grown to respect it because it does teach you values you will cherish. Just how the Bhagwat Gita has the answers to all questions, Mahabharat illustrates another aspect of struggle we face within ourselves and others during our lifetime. While it is good to have an open mind, it definitely makes it offensive when the great epic is mocked. I take it offensive when the epic is mocked. 
Now coming to the Starbharath, although visually it is definitely a treat, it does have some issues that are not really appreciated. Whether it was the portrayal of Satyavati being shown in a negative perspective , Bishma's oath reasoning, Gandhari negative shades, Madri's jealously, and other issues which kind of miss the point of the actual epic. But at the same time I think it is a great attempt to make it appealing to the younger audience, by showing good looking actors, great sets, visually alluring effects, and great music. If seen this way I guess quality is more important than the actual content. But I also think showing different perspectives triggers people to think differently. 

The Chopra Mahabharat was the first one I watched so I will always be biased towards it. But I have to say that it was more realistic. My mother started to watch Starbharat but she couldn't watch past Satyavati because Satyavati was shown in a negative light, the woman who gave birth to Sage Parashara's son Vyasa, being shown in a negative manner was not accepted by my mother.So she stopped. But I continued to watch because I like to be entertained, I like all the actors and the music so I watch it ONLY to be entertained and not to learn anything, I just treat the way I would a daily soap, nothing more than that, which is totally cool. Just like I used to watch the other mythological show on another channel. So at the end of the day Mukesh Khanna is right in his place, and the audience of the show are right in their place. No one can tell people to stop watching for the sake of entertainment. Starbharat also had some touching scenes where you can learn things from, but I don't think it can be compared to the Chopra Mahabharat. 

Sorry for intruding guys, just saw this and I was like wow Mukesh Khanna has a good point! πŸ‘πŸΌ 
guenhwyvar thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: DrModel

@Shyam

dude!! you did not just compare HP to MB
EVERYONE knows HP is FICTION. 
And what do you have to say to people on FB who do not even spare Krishna in their criticisms? 
If MB here is whitewashing the grey as per most people, then surely FB and the twitterverse would not say such deragatory things about Krishna, DPadi, Arjun, Kunti just because their favorite character was not favored by fate? 

Fork ... the page stopped responding and I lost everything I wrote ... it's probably a sign...πŸ˜†

I wasn't comparing HP to MB literally. It was more in terms of the learning factor. For example, if I had to write a paper on the US, my references and sources should not be from historical fiction sources. And this makes sense because it's fiction. Would you learn stuff? probably stuff like major events that remained unchanged, but if you look into the details of events, chances are it would be pretty different. But basically, you wouldn't be learning anything new. 

As for the social networking sites ... meh ... I honestly would blame their ignorance (for the most / some parts --> just because I haven't read everyone's post and it would be inappropriate to judge everyone as a whole in my opinion). There are posts there that signify such ignorance and I posted some examples in another thread. 

But as far as whitewashing goes, I think SP just uses their characters to promote the message they want to promote. To me that's more like StarWashing πŸ˜† Case in point -- StarBhishma forgetting his vow to his father so he can make a new vow for Dhriti and give the Pandavas half of their kingdom... 
Edited by shyam09 - 10 years ago
Sadhana_pr thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
At the very onset I declare myself an 'ignorant viewer'πŸ˜†. But I would still humbly display my so-called ignorance.

Firstly, about the video. I give it just the amount of respect an individual opinion demands. Nothing more, nothing less for at the end of the day irrespective of the fact that its a wonderful actor speaking,it is a personal opinion and no less or more valid than the forum's or mine.

And all the grievances held by him and quite well reflected in the discussion thread are justified. Yes, this new series is guilty of discrepancies and misrepresentations, some easy to justify some not so simple. And I really appreciate this 'People will get misguided' sentiment. However, one does not go into an T-20 match expecting a Dravid's innings!! If I signed up for a history course and was being taught what I perceive to be a distortion I have full rights to protest. But did I really expect a prime time show on the leading GEC channel to 'teach' me  Mahabharat?? Well, then it questions my sensibilities more than the makers!

What I see the show to have achieved is-arouse interest in an ignorant viewer like me. My search history for the last week if full of Mahabharat related queries. And thus, I have been exposed to varying kind of literature-from the most superficial to the the most spiritual. And now I can weigh the arguments and arrive at 'my' view of Mahabharat.
Thus, one cannot ignore the impact of the visual medium and I would give credit where its due. Moreover, for all its faults, I never found the series to be lacking depth. That is one thing quite consistent-the political, moral, emotional and spiritual depths have been probed as much as was possible. Agreed, perhaps without accuracy.

But this is what bothers me the most. A text as great as the Mahabharat is actually defined by just the factual accuracies? Every other week we have lengthy expositions on how this event was distorted and this character was ill-portrayed. So, is there nothing over and beyond them? Who married whom and who is greater than whom,and who made what vow is what actually defines the worth of this text?

A text which has the seeds of The Gita, a story which has the living Presence of the incarnate is to be judged by costumes, dialogues and accuracy of facts? It makes me wonder if it is really so impossible to let go of this superficial inspection and evaluation of the series and actually look at the depths which sometimes glimmers through the web of mediocrity.

For now I guess I will not exchange my ignorance for the rigid set of beliefs that seems to come as a baggage with knowledge😊
Edited by Sadhana_pr - 10 years ago
Wistfulness thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
He didn't force anyone not to watch the show. It was just a statement uttered by a concerned man. Continuing watching/quitting is an individual's choice.
Wistfulness thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
There's an unparalleled difference between Distortion and Creating own daily soapish saga.
Interpretation is the explanation of someone's creative work. Starbharata doesn't resemble the original texts in any manner. So I don't get how it's an Interpretation.
guenhwyvar thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: -Shruti

There's an unparalleled difference between Distortion and Creating own daily soapish saga.
Interpretation is the explanation of someone's creative work. Starbharata doesn't resemble the original texts in any manner. So I don't get how it's an Interpretation.

That's simple ... they are distorting the definition of interpretation πŸ€£

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. It was just too perfect of a set up
...Diala... thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
I am an idiot to have exprected/ to be expecting an 'interpretation' while the disclaimer clearly says it is FICTION
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: shyam09

2 points really --

First off -- We will never be able to confirm that (part in bold). It's impossible. But because it is impossible to do that, it doesn't justify throwing in random tidbits of utter BS. The problem Mukeshji probably has it with the characterizations and possibly the plot. Would he have minded if Dhriti was played by a 6-pack model but the role he played showed off Dhriti as who he really was [[from the beginning]], no.  

Second point -- learning what? No one learns anything from fictionalized stuff. It's like watching Harry Potter and saying "oh Hogwarts exists!!... Dammit.. I'm a muggle!" ... Some messages they promote are good, but if I, being 20 years old, have trouble understanding it the first time watching it ... how would it make sense for kids to understand the messages? 

The way modern day society works is on the level of easiness. Why read a book when there is a movie you can watch... Why go to the library and look for books when we have Google...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - the problem is that we define this as mythology ... with mythology people have the freedom to do whatever the hell they want ... but the moment we change it so it becomes history, it's set in stone and no one will dare mock it. If they do, it becomes labeled has historical fiction and everyone should know the definition of fiction. 

But if you distort mythology -- you get mythology. And people are left confused! Is mythology no. 1 right or mythology no. 2??

Of course we can bring up the question of which version is correct since we don't know which version holds the truth, but we should be able to easily eliminate foreign versions, fictional / modern retelling, and choose the best among the few versions that are left (if there are even a few left)...

(if you think I felt rough somewhere above, I'm truly sorry. I'm just trying to be as frank as possible so my message is clear. No offense intended)

Shyam

That's why we've had posters in this forum protest @ MB & RY being called mythology, but they miss the meaning.  Mythology does not mean fiction.  It means a series of stories, handed down the ages, which may or may not be true.  Like we don't know whether Hector & Achilles was fiction, or whether it really happened.  We don't know whether Loki actually exists/ed and killed Baldur or not.  Similarly, we really don't know whether Krishna or Rama really existed or not.  For us, as Hindus, they did, or at least, we assume it - either out of faith, or out of belief.  People who are not Hindus could be forgiven for assuming that they didn't.

Point is - mythology has often been used by historians in recreating very ancient history.  Both the Ramayan & Mahabharata have been used in reconstructing the history of the Vedic era.  Now, they do normalize certain things - the time scales described in the shastras for the durations of Satya Yuga, Treta Yuga & Dwapar Yuga - are not used, or else, nobody would say that the MB happened 'just' 5000 years ago.  Similarly, descriptions of events like miracles won't make their way into historical accounts.  Also, historians would use only contemporaneous works to determine the actual events.  For instance, in Ramayan, historians may use the works of Valmiki or Vashistha (if available) since they lived at the time, but they wouldn't use the works of even Kalidasa, much less Tulsidas or later.  Similarly, in Mahabharata, historians would use Vyasa, but not later authors.  In case of Valmiki, there are hardly any miracles in the story itself, which lends itself easier to incorporate.  In case of Vyasa, a good number of miracles have to be discounted - no historical account of the Mahabharata will include Arjun's visit to Devalok, or Yudisthir's swargarohan yatra.  And Shrimad Bhagvatam would even more sparingly be used.

The deal here is not so much w/ the other characters, as much as w/ Krishna.  On one hand, he's a deity, so anything he did is above question: yet, that goes against the grain of people's sense of justice in some cases, and therefore, people treat him as a regular character like the others and analyze him.  If they distort him, like they have been freely doing, not much is left: critics can point out the real Krishna, the real Yudisthir, the real Duryodhan et al and argue, but that will be tangential to those following this serial for the story.

So distorting mythology too produces fiction: while mythology (I'm referring to the original works of Vyasa, not later day interpretations by others) itself may or may not have been accurate, once it's altered, chances are that it definitely was not what happened.  In case of this serial, by applying current mentality to the thinking of ancient figures, they've destroyed the historicity of those events.

Also, like you point out, if something is there on video, it's more likely to spread than, say, our fanfics or OS or other compositions.  I think that's why Mukesh was unhappy @ what's being shown & portrayed.