Comedy doesn't have a language: Sailesh Lodha

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 10 years ago

Sailesh Lodha
Sailesh Lodha, who plays the real-life columnist Taarak Mehta in 'Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chasmah', was in town for a Kavi Sammelan. He spoke to CT in a freewheeling chat about comedy and TV. Excerpts:

Playing the role of the hugely popular Taarak Mehta must be a big responsibility...
Playing any character is a responsibility. But when the show is a hit and the character is the title role, you have to be even more responsible. I met Taarakji after the show became a hit. It was a big compliment when he called me Mehta sahab and said it felt as if he was revisiting his younger days with me.

What's your take on the currently-aired shows on TV?
I do not watch TV shows. But then, I have witnessed that negativity spreads faster than positivity. If you are showing something negative, it will grab more eyeballs. So crime and vulgar shows attract the younger generation more. But when I did Taarak Mehta, I realized that there's an audience for positive shows as well.

ALSO READ: Nigaar Khan joins Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah

A lot of comedians like Vir Das and Kapil Sharma have ventured into movies. Have you got any such offer?
Popular TV actors eventually get movie offers at some point or the other, but one has to set his/her priorities right. If you are doing a daily soap, you don't really get the time to do a film. And Taarak Mehta is really popular. So only a better and bigger character can entice me to take up a film.

Kapil Sharma's show turned out to be a hit. Would you like to do that kind of a show?
I am not a 'me too' person. I am aware of my capabilities and originality. I have been doing stand-up comedy for so many years. I do not feel the need to join the bandwagon.

What is the reason behind Taarak Mehta's popularity?
Firstly, I think it is a very honest show where people commute in public transport, bargain with vegetable vendors etc. Usme Hindustaniyat hai. Also it is a clean comedy show " something that can be seen with family. Secondly, kids love it. Jo bachchon mein hit, woh superhit.

You have come to Kolkata after so many years. Do you see changes?
Not much. And frankly, at the risk of sounding selfish, I don't want anything to change in Kolkata, because this city's DNA is very different from any other city. This city has a character " the British structure, the trams, the phuchkas... I feel so happy to be here.

Do you also feel youngsters are more inclined towards English comedy these days?
Comedy doesn't have a language, but the sensibilities of Hindi and English speaking audience are very different. You can only enjoy comedy in the language you speak or think.
Firstly, I think it is a very honest show where people commute in public transport, bargain with vegetable vendors etc. Usme Hindustaniyat hai. Also it is a clean comedy show " something that can be seen with family. Secondly, kids love it. Jo bachchon mein hit, woh superhit. 

ye sub TMKOC mein THAA tarak saab...aaj kal jo track aap TMKOC  mein bata rahe hain uss mein kahin Hindustaniyat nahi hai...na hi hit hai, na hi super hit hai...aap ka wahem hai sub...

Kindly requesting you too get a reality check...!!!!

by the way good interview Sailesh sahab...and Thanks for Posting @ Proud-India.
Edited by terenaam_ahm - 10 years ago
The show WAS about common people...now all the GD members are so mahaan and damm irritating...get a reality check
Boredom has no language either 😆 let your common people behave like common people.You know the common people and their profession that you project in your serial have enough to afford a family car ? No they definitely go to their offices by bus or train but they own one .Get a reality check! Edited by dey.bh - 10 years ago
thanks for sharing manan :)
No common people would get to party/celebrate all times and their  kids would super mahan karname and plan anniversary parties.
Thanks for Sharing @Proud-India 
GDS members are NO MORE ordinary citizens of India 
Mahaanta ki murtiyaan hain sab