Dramatic endings in Tollywood movies : TOI

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 10 years ago
DRAMATIC ENDINGS REWRITE T-TOWN RULEBOOK

The climaxes of a few recent Telugu movies had the audience reaching for their hankies instead of popcorn as filmmakers experiment

AS Sashidhar

Mouthing explosive dialogues, action sequences, bloodshed, etc., were the hallmark of typical Tollywood climax. Some of these scenes were usually ripped off from one or multiple sources. Of late, Telugu filmmakers are mounting emotionally taut climaxes that have the audience glued about the outcome. It could be one of those moments when you lean back on your seat as the lights come on and say Damn! I did not see that coming'.
   Filmmakers have realised that a smart resolution is as much a part of a good film as the overall plot. And when a filmmaker settles for a climax that touches the heart, you'll walk out of the theatre with moist-eyes. Of course, the actors need to have the acting chops to pull off the gamble.

TEST OF SKILL

Climactic reunions at the airport or railway station are almost a template. Anyone can fit their story in it, and will most certainly find a climax for their film unfolding automatically. However, Trivikram Srinivas (Attarintiki Daredi) pulled off one of the finest railway station climaxes for the Pawan Kalyan-starrer. The director gave an innovative twist to the conventional done-to-death climax scene, where there's a lot of bloodshed. The scene, as usual, has the protagonist confronting the opponents. However, what sets the climax apart are two things " the writing, and the performance. Pawan's performance in the film was perhaps one of the best in his career which left the audience teary-eyed.
   Talking about the scene, Trivikram says, "I wanted the climax to be a bit different from the conventional ones, and I took a couple of months to pen it down. I spoke to Pawan on how the highpoint would be filmed and he gave the green signal. It was an intense and highly emotional scene and we were confident that if we could pull that off, we would be successful."
   The climax of Mahesh Babu's latest release is another example. The writing is smart and the performances are remarkable. The scene where Mahesh discovers the directions to his house whilst sharing screen space with his real life son Gautham, can be considered innovative and out-of-the-box.
   Sharing his thoughts on climax of the psychological thriller, director Sukumar says, "Mahesh is a performer and can emote any expression for a scene. Since he's a director's actor and always has his focus on the script and characterisation, it was a cakewalk for him."

CONVINCING ACTORS

It's not easy to convince star actors to have an emotional climax for a film. The climax of Prabhas-starrer Mirchi came as a bit of a surprise. In fact, it's a rarity for first time directors to have the final 30-odd minutes filled with emotions. Debutante director Koratala Siva not only penned a family drama, but the twist at the end took the audience by surprise.
   "We know the climax would be one of the highpoints of the film. Prabhas was fully convinced with the script and was all geared up for it. He was very charged up for the scene and delivered a stellar performance in the end," said director Koratala Siva.
   Director Sukumar says that Mahesh Babu okayed the film only because of the unpredictable ending. "It was easy to convince Mahesh Babu about the climax scene. In fact, he okayed the film only after listening to it. He was very excited and was looking forward to shooting those scenes," says Sukumar.
   Similarly, the high-point of the Nithiin-starrer Gunde Jaari Gallanthayyinde was an amalgam of some humour, situational comedy, smart writing, and good performances on part of its actors. The scene where Nithiin realises and feels guilty for his faults, and goes back to Nithya Menen to forgive her, was highly emotional.
   [email protected]

A still from
Attarintiki Daredi

A still from Mahesh's recent release

Prabhas in Mirchi
Well that's tollywood.. Though I love these films it seems like sometimes to bring the impact they just over dramatise it. I remember in Mirchi, one of the character was paralysed and was silent throughout the film but had one dialogue in the climax and not to forget Atharintiki, the dialogues and emotions between hero and his atha were really nice but before that how did the train station get cleared in just few minutes?
well at the end they are just movies and not to be taken too seriously..
Thanks for the article!

I think the beauty of movies is that it really lets you think outside of the box and show larger than life scenarios, situations, and characters. I'm all in support of innovation and creativity as long as the execution convinces me.

Personally, I loved the Nenokkadinne scene mentioned. It was an emotional moment because you get a visual of the past and present finally coming together.