Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

insouciance thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Originally posted by: Ms. Bholi Bhali

You have to understand that India is a huge country...In the south,we do not get any pakistani,arabic or chinese channels..But in the north east,esp in Arunachal pradesh and mizoram,they do get chinese channels.....There might be some places that get arabic channels,but not all places,and hardly anyone watches them....Where there's demand,there's supplyπŸ˜›...Whereas the entire india gets HBO,star world and AXN,as there's universal demand

insouciance thumbnail

Originally posted by: Ms Bholi Bhali

which show has reality and what are the sociall issues discussed?? Saath Phere was about a dark skined colour. instead of showing how she successed in what she wanted to be, inspite all the hate, she is now shown sacrificing almost everything for her susral.

what I know, Indian women are so successfull, many many of them are working women, why doesn't the Indian Tv show or make soaps on their lives?? why does every serial has to end on saas bahu, love triangles, and fighting over a girl or a guy??

why doesn't the Indian tv show the life of a beggar?? or life of a teacher or the person who is really making India grow??? why always end up in big homes, and show hatred towards the poor ppl??? why is the media showing and making groups of the population?? why not remove it, by showing rich and poor working together, and now one is aginsit it and making plans!!!

Point is,the serials are not only made for the urban educated lot who can enjoy watching arty serials....The serials are targetted mainly at the masses,who would want to watch only what they can never have....My maid loves these fantasy soaps,she says that its a stress buster..Imagine a soap whish is imbued with hardships,poverty,famine....who would want to watch them...One watches serials and movies to unburden,its a stress buster....and watching some arty peice of crap is as good as watching the news πŸ˜• ....Supply caters to the demand....Indian soaps are popular in Pakistan,the pakistanis watch soaps like kyunki etc,very well knowing that its a fantasy...Indian soaps enjoy viewership from both sides of the border..and that does imply that there is something about the soaps that is appealing...I personally dont watch any serial,but many do watch them,and just because i dont watch them,it doesnt mean that they are atrocious....

Most of us here havent watched any Pakistani soap,and neither are they as popular worldwide as the Indian soaps are(I had a friend of mine in UK,who hails from Pakistan but watched soaps like JJKN,Kavyanjali,Kyunki etc).....Indian soaps and movies are watched by all desis worldwide,but the same cant be said about the pakistani soaps and movies

Aparna_BD thumbnail
Areee wah great going since i was away this thread has progressed !!πŸ‘πŸ‘

Saba you didn't like Buniyaad ??!!??😲  Hum log and Buniyaad !! Yes those were the 2 shows my generation grew up with in the early 80's !! well thats your opinion if you didn't like it. But as many mentioned it was the super hit in the 80's when i was a child.

Saba you have to open you mind to the fact that you have not seen the best Indian shows and can't stand to judge about the acting ability of the Indian actors.

And yes, even my mom's cable wallah showed Chinese, Arabic , Pakistani TV, Russian TV, and (even soft po*n.......although he had to stop it soon the moment customers protested. πŸ˜†) I am sure there was no demand for these channels but my cable wallah wanted to say "hey look what all am i offering ..........so buy cable from me and hot him"😊

As for your doubt about Pakistani channels banned in India and not aired. There's a big difference. It means Indian cable wallah is permited legally to show what ever he wants (except po*n ofcourse as its illegal).....BUT  the cable guy will shows what ever people demand !!!!! If customer asks for PTV and Geo TV they will get it !!!!!! If they don't some cable wallah will show it anyways - demand or no demand (like the Russian channel) or they will wait for a request from the customer.

As for Indians making shows about Indian beggars or teachers ..........they do make them. But somehow they are termed as Arty films or documentary films and no one cares to watch them. Thats why it seems glamour, and oppulence sells !!!!! Films/ serial makers will make what ever sales.

Now lastly  off topic BUT YOU decided to tread on dangerous groundπŸ˜›. Saba you are blaming India for not being genuinly interested in dosti ??!!?? Hmmmmmm who started the Kargil war soon after the bus services were opened to Pakistan??????????????? That shoud answer your question!!! Now remember i wasn't the one bringing irrelevant points into this discussion. But nor will any patriot tolerate such comments !!😊

Edited by Aparna_BD - 17 years ago
Rindam thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
This is an interesting topic though the subject doesnt seem to suggest the same.Some of the comments were interesting.

I know very little of Pakistani artistes except like Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and an old Salma Agha (who acted in a movie called Nikaah). Therefore I cannot judge how talented or unique they are in their interpretation of life, culture, issues and humor. How popular they might be in India.

Of the Indian TV, the fact that all of us are here on India forums, most of us know names of serials, whats going on in them the star cast- suggests that most of us watch Indian TV, even visit a forum to discuss these shows.

Every channels tries to provide a good mix of serials. Star TV is not an India channel. I am SURE that if they would consider all serials and pick the ones they expect the best business from. If Pakistani artistes make something that would generate good business I am sure they would be shown on Star TV even if Pakistani channels are not shown.

Most of the ones Star TV airs are Indian because of purely business reasons and not because of bias. I am sure Murdoch doesnt give too much for Indian culture.

There are several serials that give a good mix of entertainment and fact. Some recent examples

Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi or Kavyanjali is not meant to teach us values or codes to adhere to or solve social issues. There are other programs for that.

There are reality based shows like Sa Re Ga Ma Pa (Hemachandra rocks) and Nach baliye.

There are documentaries and news channels with enough drama and jazz added that question everyday occurances and beat it to death. Jaanbaaz, Satyameva Jayate, Pehli Khabar, Criket controversies, NEws Today and many many more

There are shows like Sidhdhanth that shows a good lawyer dealing with cases that are close to life in Indian context.

There are shows like Sai Baba that are religious in nature and is a drama based on factual data. Prithvi Raj chauhan is also factual based on an Indian king, can teach one a lot about India's history.

There are also shows like Instant Khichdi which some like me love for ther originality and humor. Office Office with great actors like Pankaj Kapur that are trying to depict flaws in our system and society.

We have travel shows like Yatra and Exotica that have shown me more of India than I managed to see growing up there.

We also have Home Improvement shows and Saheli type shows that help the Indian homemaker, Martha Stewart type dolling up methods.

There are chat shows like Simi Garewal and Karan Johar and a number of others where they interview celebrities , Imran Khan has also been featured.

There are movie channels and music channels.

All of the above is through Direct TV in the US. Now in India there is Gemini TV, Sun TV, Udaya TV, And hosts of regional channels with fantastic programs that touch peoples lives and give out free gold for fun(which is really popular in Tamil Nadu in the south of India).

Indian cinema is huge and requires a whole new blog(despite the crap we churn out many a time) it produces the largest number of movies and employs thousands and thousands of people. India homes the largest studio in the world in Hyderabad India called Ramoji Film City.
Indians have won acclaim (albeit very little compared to all the Asian counterparts) in terms of critical appreciation the likes of Ray and Rahman in music.

Indian television is doing exceedingly well, in terms of revenue generation and employment creation all in the business of entertainment.
Rindam thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Older serials that come to mind and that depicted

where women were not the boss in the house- Buniyaad, Hum Log

woman was the boss in the house and outside- Rajani

our mighty epics - Ramayana and Mahabhaarat

funny- Yeh Jo Hai Zindagi, Flop show, Ulta Pulta

sherlock holmes kind- karamchand

animation- Jungle book

True and amazing indian life- malgudi days

History - Bharat Ek Khoj

Quiz- Quiz Time

anjali.nair thumbnail

Originally posted by: Ms. Bholi Bhali

That is very much my opinion!!!

I was hoping a lot from it,  but it didn't interest me at all!!

may be that is the difference. the things which interest you might not interest me. you can't find a single indian who doesn't like buniyaad. it is the best show till date about partition and its repercussions.

anjali.nair thumbnail

I never said that Pakistani channels aren't aired in India. Please go back and check all my posts, if you can. I grew up in Jammu-Kashmir and I have watched some Pakistani dramas but those didn't interest me much because we had serials like Tamas, Mrignayani, Udaan etc. then. As per my knowledge Indian govt. never banned any channels till date. It all depends on the demand. This Arabic channel was shown in Kerala because of the demand. Buffie mentioned in one of her posts that she doesn't get Arabic channel. Thats' what I am saying. Cable wallahs show the channels which are in demand in that particular region of India.

Edited by bluepink - 17 years ago
anjali.nair thumbnail

Originally posted by: Rindam

animation- Jungle book

History - Bharat Ek Khoj

Quiz- Quiz Time

Rindam!!! Woh bhi kya din the!!!😭 I miss those days. Bharat Ek khoj, Karamchand and KittiπŸ˜†, Rajani, Malgudi days, Kachi dhoop, Udaan, Tamas, Yatra, Nukkad..................

SolidSnake thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Rindam

animation- Jungle book

History - Bharat Ek Khoj

Quiz- Quiz Time

Sci-fi - Space City Sigma/Indradhanush

Kids - Bikam Aur Betaal, Dada-Dadi Ki Kahaaniyan

Buniyaad, Hum Log, Nukkad, Fauzi, Param Vir Chakra, Circus....ek aur serial thaa jisme Nileema Azim thi (?).

I used to watch a comedy serial on PTV, I really liked it. Naam Yaad nahin aa rahaaa hai uska....there was a family...the husband, the wife, (grown up) beti and betaa...husband office mein hota thaa aur baaki log ghar mein khurafaat karte they, hilarious.πŸ˜†

SolidSnake thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Buffie

You have to understand that India is a huge country...In the south,we do not get any pakistani,arabic or chinese channels..But in the north east,esp in Arunachal pradesh and mizoram,they do get chinese channels.....There might be some places that get arabic channels,but not all places,and hardly anyone watches them....Where there's demand,there's supplyπŸ˜›...Whereas the entire india gets HBO,star world and AXN,as there's universal demand

Just bec'se they look similar doesn't mean they watch Chinese shows, they have no particular liking for China. Kekta shows are hughely popular there too.....πŸ˜†