Is dark beautiful?

Forever-KA thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 10 years ago
Here in Pakistan I am watching a report about a campaign in India called "Dark is Beautiful". Nandita Das is giving interview to a news channe here about this campaign.

Let me say this is a good effort from India and I appreciate this.

1) Now I cant speak for India but here I see lot of advertisements of fairness cream. Many famous companies are involved in making these products.

2) When I go to a function or party then sometimes I see strange faces. Girls putting so much white powder to look white. The face looks like someone from a horror movie while hands are still darker. This use to be more commont before but now maybe they realize it was odd. Still I see it.

3) I saw a report that even men are getting into all this.

My question therefore is

Do you find dark skin color beautiful?
If we have same features will you find dark or fair beautiful?
If all other things are same, will you marry a dark o fair person?

Note: I understand beauty is in the eyes of beholder and that heart should be beautiful and all that. lol. However I am looking for an answer which is what you feel. 

Thanks.
Edited by King-Anu - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Forever-KA thumbnail
I found following two parts shocking

India's obsession with fair skin is well documented: in 1978, Unilever launched Fair & Lovely cream, which has subsequently spawned numerous whitening face cleansers, shower gels and even vaginal washes that claim to lighten the surrounding skin. In 2010, India's whitening-cream market was worth $432m, according to a report by market researchers ACNielsen, and was growing at 18% per year. Last year, Indians reportedly consumed 233 tonnes of skin-whitening products, spending more money on them than on Coca-Cola.

In 2005, the cosmetics company Emami launched Fair & Handsome for men, with an ad featuring the Bollywood star Shah Rukh Khan tossing a tube of whitening cream to a hopeful young fan, which the Dark is Beautiful campaign is seeking to have withdrawn.

How much white is white? Is Shahrukh Khan white? If you compare it to Spanish, SRK is dark. If you compare Spanish to North European, Spanish are darker. What is one trying to achieve? Many times I have seen people being proud of being fair but then there is always who is more fair.

It is sad to see Mr. SRK Khan endorsing such products. I mean if his surgical dimples and spreading arms were not enough we are now being told he is fair and lovely. lol. After watching chennai express I think he should triple the dose of whatever tube he was throwing to that young person. lol. He did not look that fair to me.

Note I am only giving him taste of his own medicine.
Forever-KA thumbnail
wth
no response on this topic?
lol
enigmatic_zephy thumbnail
It comes down to attractiveness..
look at bipasha..anyday preferred over mamta kulkarni..

however, white as a color complements most colors really well..has nthg to do with bias..but nature made white such..

so even if a white person wears wierd clothes ( i see quite a few firangs in india wearing those khadi lopsided loose kurtas) but they look so pretty...( of course its a combination of personality, confidence, fitness..but white has its advantages πŸ˜†)..

So bottom line is, if you can make yourself look sexy..white doesn't matter..

and fairness creams are result of battered butchered confidence in women by society for they are not white
Supari_khala thumbnail
It's not about the skin color, black, brown, white, yellow or olive. The facial features and the overall package (height, muscle mass etc) have to be appealing. Will Smith, Senthil Ramamurthy, Taye Diggs are hotter than Tom Cruise or insert any other white "pretty boy" poster child. Simple as that. I apply the same rule to girls. Tamanna Bhatia is as milky white as one can get, but I still find Padma Lakshmi way hotter than her. Now of course when it comes to South Asia, light skin is the be all and end all of all things. Idiotic really. The woman could be obese as hell but the guy would still take her over the dark, sultry slim one. πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Forever-KA thumbnail

I did not get the answer I was looking for.

If features are similar, if both are "hot bods" then who is more beautiful?

If above are same, if financial situation is same, if personality is similar, who will you marry or live in with?
BirdieNumNum thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: King-Anu

Do you find dark skin color beautiful?
If we have same features will you find dark or fair beautiful?
If all other things are same, will you marry a dark o fair person?

Note: I understand beauty is in the eyes of beholder and that heart should be beautiful and all that. lol. However I am looking for an answer which is what you feel. 

Thanks.

@ underlined=> πŸ˜† that should help do away the hypocrisy. Good one.

on your questions:

1. not sure about dark but dusky works depending on the rest of the "package". Some of them pack quite a well-endowed toned look in a slender frame. So if they also have pretty features, they can be quite exotic... definitely worth having them in the mix. 

case in point is Deepika Pads. She's a bit too thin for my liking but she'd be worth a shot or two.πŸ˜†

another was a Sri Lankan female. Two ships passing through europe of all places. Hot hot hot.πŸ˜†

2. preference will be for fair. Not snow white, but fair. It's like one's preference for walls. Now whoever does not prefer white wash over black swarthy smoot is lying or they've not seen a white xmas. Someone tell me.πŸ˜†

3. fair. Like it or not, lighter-skinned people do get preference everywhere... so it's important to also think of what kind of kids you might have. I for one wouldn't want the kids to sue me for screwing up their fine lineage.πŸ˜†

and that's as devoid of the platitudes and hypocrisy as can be. πŸ˜†

Forever-KA thumbnail
thanks for your honest take, Mr Num. I understand that features and skin color go together and my question is more of a hyopthetical but I think you got my point.
BirdieNumNum thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: King-Anu

wth

no response on this topic?
lol

you need to give people time. Sooner or later, even cartoon topics get responsesπŸ˜†. Also, I cant say about others, but at least i try to give thoughtful responses. Now whether that takes 5 seconds or 20, one should be patientπŸ˜†
LovelyPlanet thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
well i am dating a Finnish Estonian guy so clearly my preference is white.. all women try to get a shade or two lighter including will smith.. he isn't nigerian black exactly.. i have a friend or two from each black country and discovered their shades vary as much as north indian versus south indians do..

who is mamta kulakarni btw?πŸ˜†