|| Happy Independence Day ||

.Hussain. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago

History Of Independence Day

Independence Day,observed annually on 15 August, is a national holiday in India commemorating the nation's independence fromBritish rule on 15 August 1947. India attained freedom following an independence movement noted for largely nonviolent resistance andcivil disobedience led by the Indian National Congress (INC) . Independence coincided with the partition of India, in which the British Indian Empire was divided along religious lines into the Dominions of India and Pakistan; the partition was accompanied by violent riots and mass casualties.

The flagship event in Independence Day celebrations takes place in Delhi, where the prime minister hoists the national flag at the Red Fort and delivers from its ramparts a speech. The holiday is observed throughout India with flag-hoisting ceremonies, parades and cultural events. Indians celebrate the day by displaying the national flag on their attire, accessories, homes and vehicles; by listening to patriotic songs, watching patriotic movies; and bonding with family and friends. Books and films feature the independence and partition in their narrative. Separatist and militant organisations have often carried out terrorist attacks on and around 15 August, and others have declared strikes and used black flags to boycott the celebration

The mystic aura of India and the enigma that she is has captured the imagination and fancy of great minds. Take a look at what they have to say about India.

"Where the mind is without fear
and the head is held high;
Where knowledge is free;
Where the world has not been
broken up into fragments by
narrow domestic walls;
Where words come out from
the depth of truth;
Where tireless striving stretches
its arms towards perfection;
Where the clear stream of reason
has not lost its way into the dreary
desert sand of dead habit;
Where the mind is lead forward by thee
into ever-widening thought and action-
Into that heaven of freedom, my Father,
let my country awake."

"GEETANJALI" -Rabindranath Tagore

We owe a lot to the Indians, who taught us how to count, without which no worthwhile scientific discovery could have been made.
-Albert Einstein

If I were asked under what sky the human mind has most fully developed some of its choicest gifts, has most deeply pondered on the greatest problems of life, and has found solutions, I should point to India.
-Max Mueller (German scholar)

Mark Twain said: India is, the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend, and the great grand mother of tradition. Our most valuable and most instructive materials in the history of man are treasured up in India only.

French scholar Romain Rolland said: If there is one place on the face of earth where all the dreams of living men have found a home from the very earliest days when man began the dream of existence, it is India.

The land of dreams and romance, of fabulous wealth and fabulous poverty, of splendour and rags, of palaces and hovels, of famine and pestilence, of genii and giants and Aladdin lamps, of tigers and elephants, the cobra and the jungle, the country of hundred nations and a hundred tongues, of a thousand religions and two million gods, cradle of the human race, birthplace of human speech, mother of history, grandmother of legend, great-grandmother of traditions, whose yesterday's bear date with the modering antiquities for the rest of nations-the one sole country under the sun that is endowed with an imperishable interest for alien prince and alien peasant, for lettered and ignorant, wise and fool, rich and poor, bond and free, the one land that all men desire to see, and having seen once, by even a glimpse, would not give that glimpse for the shows of all the rest of the world combined.
-Mark Twain

When I read the Bhagavad-Gita and reflect about how God created this universe everything else seems so superfluous.
-Albert Einstein

India – The land of Vedas, the remarkable works contain not only religious ideas for a perfect life, but also facts which science has proved true. Electricity, radium, electronics, airship, all were known to the seers who founded the Vedas.
-Wheeler Wilcox (American poet)

"Those who won our independence believed liberty to be the secret of happiness and courage to be the secret of liberty."
Louis D. Brandeis

"Thy spirit, Independence, let me share! Lord of the lion-heart and eagle-eye, Thy steps I follow with my bosom bare, Nor heed the storm that how ls along the sky."

Tobas George Smollet

"Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country."
- John Fitzgerald Kennedy

"One individual may die for an idea; but that idea will, after his death, incarnate itself in a thousand lives. That is how the wheel of evolution moves on and the ideas and dreams of one nation are bequeathed to the next'"
-  Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose

"How can one be compelled to accept slavery? I simply refuse to do the master's bidding. He may torture me, break my bones to atoms and even kill me. He will then have my dead body, not my obedience. Ultimately, therefore, it is I who am the victor and not he, for he has failed in getting me to do what he wanted done."
-  Mahatma Gandhi

"We end today a period of ill fortune and India discovers herself again. The achievement we celebrate today is but a step, an opening of opportunity, to the greater triumphs and achievements that await us. Are we brave enough and wise enough to grasp this opportunity and accept the challenge of the future?"
-  Jawaharlal Nehru

"At the dawn of history India started on her unending quest, and trackless centuries are filled with her striving and the grandeur of her success and her failures. Through good and ill fortune alike she has never lost sight of that quest or forgotten the ideals which gave her strength."
-  Jawaharlal Nehru

"Freedom has its life in the hearts, the actions, the spirit of men and so it must be daily earned and refreshed – else like a flower cut from its life-giving roots, it will wither and die."
-  Dwight D. Eisenhower

"You give me your blood and I will give you Independence!"
- Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose

"Fourscore and seven years ago, our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal"
- Abraham Lincoln

"This, then, is the state of the union: free and restless, growing and full of hope. So it was in the beginning. So it shall always be, while God is willing, and we are strong enough to keep the faith."
-Lyndon B. Johnson

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from opposition; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach himself.
~Thomas Paine

"We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls."
- Robert J. McCracken

Mother, I bow to thee! Rich with thy hurrying streams, Bright with orchard gleams, Cool with thy winds of delight, Green fields waving , Mother of might, Mother free. Glory of moonlight dreams, Over thy branches and lordly streams, Clad in thy blossoming trees, Mother, giver of ease, Laughing low and sweet! Mother I kiss thy feet, Speaker sweet and low! Mother, to thee I bow."
Bankim Chandra Chaterjee

For some days, people thought that India was shaking. But there are always tremors when 

a great tree falls.

- Rajiv Gandhi

"Even if I died in the service of the nation, I would be proud of it. Every drop of my blood… will contribute to the growth of this nation and to make it strong and dynamic."
Indira Gandhi

Happy Indepencedence Day Friends 😊

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

.Killer. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 2
HAPPY
INDEPENDENCE
DAY

RES 
BabajiKaThullu thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
Happy Independence Day to all ...
Awesome Thread AP 👍🏼

Edited by MSmyworldMS - 10 years ago
meghan11 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Edited by meghan11 - 10 years ago
CookieeMonster thumbnail
HAPPY 
INDEPENDENCE 
DAY!
Edited by StarAngel01 - 10 years ago
Hdhd thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Happy Independence Day 😊
kamalini123 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
INDIA ... OUR PRIDE...OUR HONOUR ...

Capital:NEW DELHI
Largest City: MUMBAI

INDEPENDENCE DAY: 15th AUGUST 1947
REPUBLIC DAY: 26th JANUARY 1950

Area:3,166,414 sqkm
Population :1.17billio
n

States:28
Union Territories : 07

Currency:indian rupee(INR)
Flag: Tricolour

Motto: Satyameva Jayate(truth alone triumphs)
National song : Vande matram
National anthem: Jana gana mana

National bird: Peacock
National animal: Royal bengal tiger
National game: Hockey

National tree: Banyan
National fruit: Mango
National flower : Lotus
HappIndependencday
Sunny_Bliss thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: kamalini123

Capital:NEW DELHI
Largest City: MUMBAI

INDEPENDENCE DAY: 15th AUGUST 1947
REPUBLIC DAY: 26th JANUARY 1950

Area:3,166,414 sqkm
Population :1.17billio
n

States:28
Union Territories : 07

Currency:indian rupee(INR)
Flag: Tricolour

Motto: Satyameva Jayate(truth alone triumphs)
National song : Vande matram
National anthem: Jana gana mana

National bird: Peacock
National animal: Royal bengal tiger
National game: Hockey

National tree: Banyan
National fruit: Mango
National flower : Lotus

lollzzz  ...U forgot d rest of d stuff?? 😆 especially about Bharatanatyam?? 🤣

National emblem:  Lioned Capital

National dance:  Bharatanatyam

National musical instrument:  Sarasuvathi Veenai.

Natioanal Language:  NONE. (no, hindi is not our National language!!)

Edited by deepakk79 - 10 years ago
Nehageet. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
                                      I Love My India                   
Nehageet. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Edited by nehageet - 10 years ago