heart girl thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Originally posted by: MNMS

A cool color will be fine this time!๐Ÿ˜‰

Maroon is mine

heart girl thumbnail

Originally posted by: sowmyaa

The topic :"Our embracing the Western culture is making us loose our own rich heritage and culture"

Also, to our opposing team I would like to highlight that the questions is that it is "making us loose" it's not saying we have lost it already!
gk_09 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

[quote=~Khizer~]

What makes people like you or I Indian(Or whatever nationality a person maybe)? It is their unique culture and heritage that does so. Taken into consideration no culture is static, the values and heritage of it should remain static because the values define who you are.  To progress should not mean forgetting your past and the unique values we all hold however by adopting new ways of living it interfers with society. By interupting a way of living, it is interupting their culture as well. As one person changes their routine life in society they change their values along as well.

[/quote]

Who is putting behind their values? We are all proud of our nationality,our culture, our religion, and living abroad, or making friends who are not of the same culture as you are, doesnt mean that you are letting go of your culture, instead, you learn a lot from them, and sometimes, make them awarre about what your culture is all about. [/Quote]

No. We are accepting western culture and forgetting about our own. All we know how to say is o were brown, and were proud to be brown but we act the total opposite. We were such baggy clothes, piece our ears (btw, this is for the guyz) which is not our culture. And about the girls, we where such mini tops, low cut pants, try act all kool when our culture says to cover your body not to expose it.

[Quote=Mrs.Eishu.SRK]

[quote=~Khizer~]

The British changed a part of the Indian culture one way or another. They made people of one culture try to adopt another one by influencing their ways. Although many people gave in, people such as Ghandi did not. What is a main reason Ghandi is famous for? One reason would be he did not let the British effect his society and lifestyle. By not letting them interfere with his lifestyle, he preserved the Indian way of living at the time and not adopt any british ways.

[/quote]

There were many more like Gandhi.

What about those people(who aren't famous) but lost their lives,refues to let the British rule over them?[/Quote]

Well, they should stand up for freedom and raise their voice as well. No one is stopping them. They should stand up and say that their not going to let west culture influence them and there life style.

[Quote=Mrs.Eishu.SRK][quote=~Khizer~]

The exploitation of a different culture has affected the culture of one from which he came from. Many NRI's (Non-returning Indians) have adopted other cultures. They have adopted other languages and dialects. Dialects are an aspect of one culture. Dialects are part of the values of one culture. The adaptation of different dialects has changed ones original values and changed them as well

[/quote]

IF someone is living in the west, they will obviously speak like the people living there. Does this mean that they have forgotten their mother tounge? No! English is a universal language Most of the people living abroad know both English and their mother tounge, whatever it may be, Urdu , Hindi, Punjabi, Bengali...whatsoever.

Btw, NRI stands for Non Resident Indians and not non returning indians๐Ÿ˜›  [/Quote]

I agree with Khizer. Just by moving to a different nation that doesnt carry your mother touge can change the original values and language. Eisha, they havent forgotten but the generation of today has. Some of us know our language and some dont. Its shame to those who dont know there own language and to some point this is parents fault as well. If they teach their children at a younger maybe they wont be saying why doesnt my child know this language.

MNMS thumbnail

Now i have shifted to Green

Edited by MNMS - 17 years ago
gk_09 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: Mrs.Eishu.SRK

[Quote=~Khizer~]

Every person from this world comes from a culture that holds specific values. Those values are different from values of another culture. What one person might believe as good and respectful, the other might think the exact opposite. Their perceptions are manipulated per se or controlled by their culture values. The integration of two cultures is something which is not seen because it is simply not possible.

Many people in the non-western world wear so called "western clothes" even though it is not part of their cultural clothing.  By adopting every little thing from the west the people of the East are gradually loosing their own culture and ways of it. For example, In India the traditional clothing would be something such as a "saari" for women and "shalwaar kameez or pajama kurta" for men. However many people from the middle and upper class do not wear them consistently as they would've had before. Their main dressing would be a t-shirt and jeans. As people steadily progress to more modern and western techniques and ways; Western ways have influenced the lives of so many in India that even television serials about "the modern Indian life" portray the characters wearing western clothing and behaving in the same ways. They show people who have even forgotten their own culture and heritage and adopted western ways.

[/quote]

The way humans dressed about a century earlier has drastically changed when compared to what they dress like now. Some react to this change in a positive manner, the others don't, and blame the west for this change, which, I feel is rather unfair. Most of us, both in the east and the west, have switched to wearing jeans, but this doesn't mean that we are losing our culture to the west; in fact, it is a universally accepted truth that a pair jeans are the most practical piece of clothing, no matter where you are living.

Its not about the pair of jeans Eisha. Its about the other clothing. I agree myself tha jeans in a pratical piece of clothing but what about the other clothing. If you go into a mall, into the girls section all you can find is short tops, halter tops, mini skirts etc. Have you ever found full length clothing. I dont wear short clothing, I myself have to go to the ladies section and find a large and wear that. About the guyz, its the opposite, you'll never find a pair of jeans or a short that isnt twice your size. You'll never find a just the right size.

Currently in Canada, South Asian clothing is popular. White, black, chinese, you name it they wear it. So, why are we being afraid of wearing such things. Kurta's are also new in fashion here. I see everyone wear why not us, south asian people. Is there anything wrong with it if other people wear why cant you wear. Why are they still wearing baggy clothing when the rest of the province is wearing your culture clothing.

Edited by gk_09 - 17 years ago
MNMS thumbnail

Green is mine๐Ÿ˜ณ

P.S. : WOW!!! I bet.. DM has never been this colourful!!!!!

MNMS thumbnail

Originally posted by: heart girl

Also, to our opposing team I would like to highlight that the questions is that it is "making us loose" it's not saying we have lost it already!

But you aren't pointing out what our culture has preserved, safeguarded, retained despite of all the harsh invations and revolutions. We are saying the "Evolution of Culture". Don't worry, we are here to do it!๐Ÿ˜‰

Morgoth thumbnail

Black again ๐Ÿ˜›

Edited by T. - 17 years ago