sheetald thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Rimi Sen
Last week, when Rimi Sen said in an interview on Golmaal that, "Rohit Shetty is amazing as a director. He can make even a black African look pretty," little did she realise she would be stirring a hornet's nest.

The comment was published by the desi Bollywood website glamsham.com (and later removed) and was also published by an automated news feed on Yahoo News.

Golmaal, is currently number 8 in the UK charts and some groups are contemplating calling for a boycott in UK cinemas over Sen's racist comments.

Quote unquote

When we called Rimi for her take on the controversy, the actress naturally feigned ignorance. She says, "I have been misquoted. I can't speak to you as I am shooting." As for remembering what she had actually said, the actress says, "I don't remember any such statement."

Golmaal, which has been produced by Ashtavinayak, might bear the brunt with its screenings being stopped in UK theatres.

Says Denis Selarka from Ashtavinayak, "Our UK distributor is Venus. I haven't heard anything from them as yet about Golmaal being banned there. I think Rimi's comments have been misinterpreted. There was no deliberate effort to cause any hurt to any race or religion."

Touch

But Ligali, a non-profit British African voluntary organisation in the UK, is not taking the situation lightly. In a statement on their website, ligali.org, they said that they found her statement unacceptable and urged Asians to take action against her and her film Golmaal.

What Ligali says:

"We have been long aware of the system of caste discrimination and associated anti-African sentiment that permeates Asian culture. It is therefore unsurprising that a Bollywood actress would hold such views.
However, we agree as some of the more proactive Asian sites have suggested, that the culpability for the publication of these anti-African comments lies with both the interviewer Nithin Sethi and the website Glamsham.

However, the fact that the majority of readers saw Rimi Sen's comments as acceptable for publication has exposed how normalised anti-African ideology is within Bollywood and its audiences. It is unlikely that her racist comments will hinder her career.

We can only hope that more Asian people follow the lead of those Asian trailblazers, who are working to stamp out racism in both the public and private sphere of their community.

We can only call on Bollywood directors and producers to give celluloid support and prominence to the mission of the National Campaign on Dalit Human Rights (NCDHR).

This group is part of a wider struggle to abolish untouchability and to "cast out caste". They state that untouchability and caste discrimination continue to be a brutal reality for more than 160 million Dalits living in India today.

Set and sensibility

Stills from Omkara
One look at Vishal Bhardwaj's Omkara, and it consummately blurs the line between what's real and what's not. Especially when you realise that what looks like UP is actually a village in Maharashtra.

The director tells us how he recreated the UP badlands on a small patch of land in rural Maharashtra.

How was the entire set put together?
Our production designer Samir Chanda created the set from scratch. It took nearly 45 days to build and had 200 huts. It was so big that it could easily inhabit 1,000 people. Nearly 60 per cent of our film was shot here, so it was important that everything looked authentic.

So we recreated an entire village the way it would have looked in Uttar Pradesh — right from the typical roofs of the huts to the ochre-yellow colour of the mud.

The set cost us Rs 2.5 crore to build, and had everything from Omkara's haveli (which is the focal point of the village), to a well, a temple, and the village at the foot of the hill.

Why build a set in Wai? If you wanted authenticity, couldn't you shoot in UP?
That's true, but it's really difficult to shoot in UP. The people there are extremely star-struck and it's difficult to control the crowds. So we had two options: either continue shooting there or build a set. Which is why we chose to go to Wai. Also, we wanted a dusty terrain and were looking for a specific kind of location (a mountain as the backdrop and a lake in front of it). We found that in Wai.

Any particular incident while shooting that has stayed with you?
We were shooting this particular sequence in Allahabad, where Omkara crowns Kesu as his successor. We were shooting in a temple on top of a mountain, which is on an island surrounded by the Jamuna.

It was a breath-taking location but we had a huge security cordon as my producer warned me that it might be dangerous to shoot there. Despite the probability that the crowds could get out of control, I was adamant to shoot there. We had called about 700 extras, but by 12 pm, there were nearly 10,000 people on the sets.

We couldn't vacate the area, and had to finish shooting by 4 pm. So I asked the people to act for me. So when Omi crowns Kesu, the 10,000 strong crowd throws red gulal. It was a beautiful scene and potentially dangerous situation turned visually stunning!

I believe several stars walked onto the sets asking for directions?
That's true. I wanted the set to look as real as possible, otherwise it doesn't work for me. Most of the homes are facades: from the outside it may look like a real home, but when you open the doors there's nothing inside but pillars holding up the structure.

When I was told that several stars had either driven past the village looking for the set or stopped on the set to ask for directions, I was satisfied!

Viveik Oberoi: Lost and found

The set looked so authentic that I actually mistook it for a real village. When we reached Wai on the day of the shoot, I told my driver to ask for directions to the set.

We stopped at this huge village and my driver and I got out of the car to ask for directions.

There were a whole lot of vans parked on the premises, which I thought was really strange but it still never struck me that I was actually standing on the sets of Omkara!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 17 years ago
Thanks for sharing
Rimi Sen looks so pretty in that pic 😳