BullsEye777 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 11 years ago
Saif Ali Khan shoots from the hip about allegations that Go Goa Gone violates the Cigarette Smoking Act

While Saif Ali Khan knew it was a gamble venturing into the world of zombies, the producer of Go Goa Gone, directed by Raj Nidimoru and Krishna DK, is enthused by the favourable response the film's trailer has garnered.

Says the actor-filmmaker: "I am feeling great. Sometimes, our job is to do something unexpected. It's very tempting to follow the beaten path. It's so boring making the same thing. When Kunal Khemu got the script and the directors narrated it to me, I thought it was very funny and unusual."

But hasn't the Goa Government lashed out against his production house Illuminati Films, alleging defamation of the state and violation of the Cigarette Smoking Act? Saif seems rather amused. "I will sort it out," he says.

But doesn't he think showing actors smoking on the big screen has an adverse impact on society? "This is a very last generation idea. We actors are not your mothers to tell you that smoking is bad. Why can't I just be an actor? I don't smoke in my personal life..." he shoots back.

Far from being anxious about the controversy that has erupted over his film, Saif is hoping the CBFC (Censor Board of Certification) will support him.

"Why are these NGOs not objecting to the guns and the killing in the film? How about banning video games that have more violence than films? As for the allegations of misusing Goa's name, isn't Goa the party capital of India? I want to make movies in peace, and Go Goa Gone is not meant to be offensive. It's not trying to glorify violence or drugs. These guys should see the film and then decide," he says.

Asked about the buzz that he is doing a film with Kabir Khan, Saif replies in the affirmative. He sounds upbeat about the fate of Go Goa Gone that is slated to hit theatres next month. "I have a feeling people will like it," he rounds off.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Pretty dumb statement from Saif! The bebo effect I assume.

Actors, Athletes and celebrities in general have a certain responsibility towards the public and whether they like it or not are impressionable to young fans and thus role models.

Get your head out of your ass Saif, talk some sense please!
BIackSwan thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
I agree with his take. An actor's job is to act and not to be a role model. If people are influenced by actors, that's their choice
desigal90 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Love his examples about showing violence in games and movies.
If the public is that stupid, then there's no limit to what you should start to censor.
And this smoking ban is really dumb.
The stupid ticker shows up on every clip in movies whenever a character is shown smoking.
Teh_Batman thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Why do the actors work in strong scripts then? Most films are meant to get the audience attached.

TheRager thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
Actors are beggers. They beg you to see their films and throw your money at them.
MR.KooL thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 3
 govt should ban cigarettes instead of  doing all this dramabazi as simple as that..  In one hand, they allows people to sell cigarette  and on the otherhand, poking nose in others business to control smoking.

Originally posted by: MrsMalhotra

Actors are beggers. They beg you to see their films and throw your money at them.

Agree, you can't have your cake and eat it too!

You want to have millions of fans, them to go watch your films, buy the products you endorse and then not get influenced by you.
You want big crowds when you go to some product launch but privacy when you're alone. Hundreds of articles when your film is about to be released but no media attention when its not.

Doesn't work that way. You're a role model, not a great one at that. Act like one!

Nobody likes censorship but its necessary and yes along with an actor you are a mother too, a father too, an older brother too. Deal with it.

Fame does have its costs.
Edited by guess_wh0 - 11 years ago
Kal El thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
True. You're their boyfriends and husbands as demonstrated @ TOIFA.
TheJourney thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 5
actors has responsibility towards audience / public? yes, to a certain extent they do.
but ultimately its people who are solely responsible for what they do or they don't.

every adult knows (i m assuming this, but i think its right) the side effects of smoking.its mentioned in advertisement n even on the pack of cigarettes. n its not like, on screen ban on smoking is changing the equation. 

Edited by OneStepCloser - 11 years ago