Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

DonnaHarvey thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 11 years ago

I open up my four by four cardboard box. It carries a life's worth of saving, a life's worth of memories and a life's worth of hurt.

"All this room needs now is a woman's touch". The Realtor told me delightfully when I first toured this half-torn down apartment.

A hoarder lived here before me. Granted the place is cleaned up for habitation, I cannot remove the scents, the signs and the sounds that stand witness to the existence of a troubled soul. The brick marks your presence, erect for centuries to come.

Perhaps, that is how it will be with our house. I can get him out of the building but, can I really bleach away his essence?

Bleach, right, the stinky bathroom needed bleaching.

I pin my nose with a fabric pin and begin cleaning. Cleansing away the filth from the hoarder, the rubbish the realtor could not remove, the pain I could not take away

Because all the room needed was a woman's touch.

Not one woman, more than one, cause he had taught me: one was never enough.

One was but a pretence, something to tell the world, "I am okay". One to fly with on public flights because the private jets are reserved for special occasions. I wonder why? One to take away to movie premiers because it is all in the image. I wonder if there is anything real beyond the imagery. Is anything true, is anything constant anymore?

He calls, should I pick up? No, stay strong.

What is strong?

Strong is not mixing ammonia and acid because that is what Mr. Shinde from Chemistry told me. Shit, shit, I should have paid attention in class.

I run outside to the porch and get some air. The weather is dry, Mumbai humidity not in sight. Global warming, I

assume. I am no scientist.

Oh, the vapours must be gone by now. I shall go in for an inspection.

"I am sorry", his text reads.

I know, I say out loud. But, that is all you are: sorry. Ashamed, regretful, pathetic, sore and sorry. Bitter, that is all I am. Devastated, insane, miserable, yours and bitter.

I pick up my body weight to get back to cleaning. I love him.

I will do anything to make it all go away. I scrub, rinse and wipe but, the acid leaves a mark. No, you go away now. There must not be a reminiscent to prove your existence. I want to get back together. Just go, okay?

I shift back forth, from Rishabh to the acid, acid to Rishabh. Is there is a difference? They are both corrosive.

It won't listen. Why would it? It's a mark, inanimate: without emotion. These walls will drive me insane.

I call the cleaning crew.

"Ha...hello, please come clean this mess. The address is..."

Is there a number I can dial to erase that night? A memory pill, a surgery, a brain wash session, anything?

My feet take me somewhere old and forgotten. Natraaj Studios: the place I grew up. My dance master by my side, I swung on the ceiling, stood my toes and danced for me. Not for the show stopper belly rubs, the naughty winks but for myself.

"Madhu", she says as if I am a disease with a surprise diagnosis. "Darling, how is RK?"

Ah, him?

Oblivious to me, that is for sure.

I opt for a more polite version of the answer. "He is fine. May I?"

I point toward the dance arena.

"Of course, anytime".

Does she really mean that? Her eyes say nothing with certainty but, her lips are perked like she has a story to tell.

"I heard you dropped out of RK's new film. Is everything okay?"

When did I make that decision?

Right,  I didn't. He did. Like almost everything else, he chose what I can and cannot do.

I cannot possibly work with him now, he must have thought. And, he is right. But, where is my say in all of this?

"Master ji, I have plans to buy back my studio. I think my Bollywood phase is fading".

She smiles and sits me down. My head in her arms, she massages my temples like the mother I never had.

"You were always my dearest student. I cried a little when you gave up on your dream. I am very proud of you. Proud that you kept your love and your life. Rishabh may be your love but, dance is your life. Don't you ever forget that".

For the first time, in a long time, I remember why I breathed before he came in.

I was born to dance and I should never have given that up. It was my fault...all of it. My life was my responsibility and the ruins left of it, were mine to piece together.

Thank you master ji. 

I am glad I came.

-Pritt- thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
*Contemplating reading it*..

Res for if I do! 

AAAND, I read it. 

Why? Because I like how it's so relatable! I know I said I wouldn't be able to read it, but honestly, I could care less about the pain it causes when I read it. It kind of feels good to be reminded of the past and then look at myself now and realize that I can be happy without that jerk in my life. And I hope Madhu realizes that soon in your FF as well! 

I love your writing. 

"Is there a number I can dial to erase that night? A memory pill, a surgery, a brain wash session, anything?"

^ Oh how I wish for that.
Edited by PrittB - 11 years ago
..Enigma.. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: iiDona

meant to be. thank you :)

ur wlcme yaaar...😊
DonnaHarvey thumbnail

Originally posted by: PrittB

*Contemplating reading it*..

Res for if I do! 
AAAND, I read it. 
I was hoping you did😆
Why? Because I like how it's so relatable! I know I said I wouldn't be able to read it, but honestly, I could care less about the pain it causes when I read it.
ata girl!
 It kind of feels good to be reminded of the past and then look at myself now and realize that I can be happy without that jerk in my life. And I hope Madhu realizes that soon in your FF as well! 
Nice to see that you can be reflective about it. Easier said than done though.
I love your writing. 
Thank you😳 I could get used to this😆
"Is there a number I can dial to erase that night? A memory pill, a surgery, a brain wash session, anything?"
^ Oh how I wish for that.
A question I ask myself on one of those days. There was a seminar on memory erasing just now. I was looking at my phone and sighing.

Sonali92 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 4
i love Madhu's version...she's so strong...i admire her for that...i am not that strong...i can never be...want to kill rk for hurting her...he doesn't deserve forgiveness...thx for writing this amazing story 
DonnaHarvey thumbnail

Originally posted by: sonnal_17

i love Madhu's version...she's so strong...i admire her for that...i am not that strong...i can never be...want to kill rk for hurting her...he doesn't deserve forgiveness...thx for writing this amazing story 

Thank you. Do read RK's version. not only for the full picture but also the partial denial... the moving around the crime. 
Also, God forbid anyone ever has to go through this but, you never know until put in that position. the most unsuspecting of people stand ground. The weakest looking ones, stay strong. Thank you for appreciating my work, it is only amazing because you read it :)
I will try not to forget that
aksuji thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
glad that madhu has decided to follow her passion,...but poor girl can't  get her mind off that beast...nice update Edited by aksuji - 11 years ago
DonnaHarvey thumbnail

Originally posted by: aksuji

glad that madhu has decided to follow her passion,...but poor girl can't  get her mind off that beast...nice update

I am afraid the memory never really goes away. It is permanent like the acid marks, reminding her everyday that the life as she knew it is over and it is time to embrace the change before the change engulfs her being. Because her whole is torn and she needs to put it back together, dance might be her only glue.
DonnaHarvey thumbnail
thank you
Desire6 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Lk dis strong madhu, she s tryn to get hm out of d mind.. But well said.. I lkd d way u compard Rk wit acid marks... Gud she s takn her lf her dance bk to her lf aftr luv betrayd cheatd her.. Gud dat I read Rk uersion 1st coz aftr readn dis i feel lk killn hm to piece.. I cant tolerate dem wit anybody else ..here nd neithr n show. Nice update