Harry Potter

HP Titles in Hindi and Marathi

Mione thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
Hi everyone😊, I was looking for the HP books in French and came across this site (HarryPotterWiki) which many of you may know of; It had the titles of each of the 7 books in Hindi and of 5 of them in Marathi. No other Indian language translation was available. I just thought of posting it here since I found some of them funny.πŸ˜† I guess that's probably because I'm so used to the name in English that it's just bizzare while seeing it in another language that I know of. πŸ˜³

Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone:

Hindi: Hairi Potar aur Paras Patthar

Marathi: Harry Potter Aani Tatvachintakacha Pashan

Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets:

Hindi: Hairi Potar aur Rahasyamayi Tahakh.ana

Marathi: Harry Potter Aani Rahasyamay Talaghar

Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban:

Hindi: Hairi Potar aur Azkaban ka Qaidi

Marathi: Harry Potter Aani Azkabanacha Kaidi

Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire:

Hindi: Hairi Potar aur Aag ka Pyala : (Harry Potter and the Chalice of Fire)

Marathi: Harry Potter Aani Agnichashak

Harry Potter and The Order of the Pheonix:

Hindi: Hairi Potar aur Mayapanchi ka Samuha: (Harry Potter and the Order of the Illusion Bird)

Marathi: Harry Potter Aani Phinix Sena

Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince:

Hindi: Hairi Potar aur Haf-Blud Prins

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows:

Hindi: Hairi Potar aur Maut ke Tohfe

(Sorry the Devanagari script did not get posted so had to delete it...it can be found at - http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_titles_of_Harry_Potter_books_in_other_languages)

~Alyesha πŸ˜Š

P.S. Please do look further as I have already and will keep updating in future posts whenever I find anything new about HP in Hindi...and so can anyone else if they do. πŸ˜Š

Edited by Mione - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Cutecj thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
nice the titles r funny. It actually show hw hp is widely known! Thnx 4 sharing al.
Mione thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Cutecj

nice the titles r funny. It actually show hw hp is widely known! Thnx 4 sharing al.

Anytime πŸ˜Š
thegameison thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Good lord, good lord! πŸ˜³ I have had such a riot discussing these titles with my friends at school. πŸ˜† Did you know Salazar Slytherin is called Nagesh Naagshakti in the Hindi version? πŸ€£
Minionite thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Mione

Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone:

Hindi: Hairi Potar aur Paras Patthar

Okay this one is a good translation. πŸ‘

Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets:

Hindi: Hairi Potar aur Rahasyamayi Tahakh.ana

This one sounds like a CID episode title! πŸ˜†

Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban:

Hindi: Hairi Potar aur Azkaban ka Qaidi

Azkaban ka Qaidi...perfect Hindi movie title. πŸ˜†

Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire:

Hindi: Hairi Potar aur Aag ka Pyala : (Harry Potter and the Chalice of Fire)

Aag ka Pyala...🀣 This sounds like the person is ready to drink the fire. πŸ€£ 

Harry Potter and The Order of the Pheonix:

Hindi: Hairi Potar aur Mayapanchi ka Samuha: (Harry Potter and the Order of the Illusion Bird)

I'm sorry this is just too much. πŸ€£ 

Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince:

Hindi: Hairi Potar aur Haf-Blud Prins

Isn't this the same as English? In Hindi it should be Hairi Potar aur Aadha-Khoon Rajkumar. πŸ€£ 

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows:

Hindi: Hairi Potar aur Maut ke Tohfe

Maut ke Tohfe...that's Death Present. πŸ€£ 

Mione thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: epiphany.

Good lord, good lord! πŸ˜³ I have had such a riot discussing these titles with my friends at school. πŸ˜† Did you know Salazar Slytherin is called Nagesh Naagshakti in the Hindi version? πŸ€£

Yeah yeah (Kani - May I call you that?)...I doπŸ˜›...I remember discussing with my friends too πŸ˜†. Prisoner of Azkaban was telecast on Pogo in Hindi and the next day in school, all we could do was crack up laughing while saying Tumpishaach and Mugloo and Khoji and what not!!!!🀣🀣🀣

But you know to an extent I would say the movies are a tad bit better as far as dubbing goes. The book in Hindi however, has some translated phrases which make no sense whatsoeverπŸ€ͺ. I just found a site stating this:

Pg. 113 (UK edition): Ron had a piece of steak-and-kidney pie halfway to his mouth, but he'd forgotten all about it.

Pg. 142 (Hindi translation): Ron ke haat mein steak-aur-kidney bhari kachauri ka tukda tha, jise voh muh ki taraf aadhi doori tak toh le gaya tha, parantu voh uske barey mein bhool chuka tha!!!

πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

That said, this one takes the cake:

Pg. 194 (UK edition): So I told him, Fluffy's a piece o' cake if yeh know how to calm him down

Pg. 244 (Hindi Translation): Isliye, humne usse bataya, Fluffy cake ka tukda hai, basharte aap usse shaant karne ka tareeka jaante ho!!! 
🀣 πŸ€£ πŸ€£
Mione thumbnail

@Blue: My view on your views πŸ˜†

Also, do go through my previous post, I'm sure you'll find it difficult to breathe laughing πŸ˜‰
Mione thumbnail
With Regard to PS:

A little work on making the book relevant to the Indian cultural context would have gone a long way in making the book more accessible to its intended audience.

There are a few disjoint, weak attempts to throw in some cultural relevance. The names of the four Hogwarts houses have been translated/substituted to what might be more palatable to the Hindi readers. So Gryffindor becomes GarudDwaar, Hufflepuff becomes MehnatKash, Ravelclaw becomes CheelGhaat while Slytherin becomes NaagShakti. Attempts like these are very inconsistent which makes them a little annoying... for instance, while Quidditch stays Quidditch, Chasers become Dhaavak, Quaffle becomes Toofan πŸ˜†, Keeper becomes Rakshak, Bludgers become Pahalwaan (LOL), Seeker becomes Khoji and Snitch becomes Sunehri Gaind. The Mirror of Erised (etymology: desire written backwards) also became Shihawhk (which is basically Khwahish written backwards and thus honors the authoress' original intentions even if it is awkward to end a word in devnagri with "half" a 'kh').
Mione thumbnail
Pumpkin Juice: (Hindi) Kaddu ka ras

Boggart: Baharupiya

Dementors: Tampishaach

BroomStick: Havai jhaadu

Daily Prophet: Dainik Jaadugar

Mione thumbnail
Floo Powder: Choo Pawdar πŸ˜†Edited by Mione - 11 years ago