Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

light_dark thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 9 years ago
                                        Chapter 10

"Travel is like love, mostly because it's a heightened state of awareness, in which we are mindful, receptive, undimmed by familiarity and ready to be transformed. That is why the best trips, like the best love affairs, never really end." " Pico Iyer

Get your motor runnin'
Head out on the highway
Lookin' for adventure
And whatever comes our way
Yeah Darlin' go make it happen
Take the world in a love embrace
Fire all of your guns at once
And explode into space

Like a true nature's child
We were born, born to be wild
We can climb so high
I never wanna die

Born to be wild
Born to be wild

STEPPENWOLF  "Born To Be Wild"

January and march of 1995will remain forever etched in my mind for they were the months seeni and me  left chennai on my rx 100 yamaha and travelled through kerala,karnataka and reached goa.Two skinny guys in their 20's and armed with two carry bags one on the tank and one on the rack which seeni said was good for him to lean on.Two jeans,a few cotton tees and a couple of stone washed shirts and a kodak hot shot camera and my loafers and we cruised with the wind on my face and free air swirling like whirlpools around us.I sped,ran,raced and escaped the mundane and made history.Even today seeni talks in a hushed tone and his eyes widen in amazement ' machaan,did we actually ride all the way to goa.wow.' I tell him yes and i think back to the black tarmac as it slithered and whizzed under our wheels as we flew on it.I nurse this ache to leave everything behind and wander all over india in my car.Stop at villages which are not on maps and stop to see the green carpet of paddy fields.Stop and look at people going on with their lives.Walk the earth all over my country and feel its history and try to understand my heritage.I am going to do it someday and off i will go,just me,my car and my freedom with the open road welcoming me.

Life is a highway

The digital clock stuck to the dashboard gleamed 8.30 in red and Buddha whined a gentle noise that made sadashivam turn and he understood.He switched on the left indicator and slowly pulled to the side of the road under a huge tamarind tree.Many more of the trees kith and kin stood in a straight line and their lineage continued off into the horizon.It was the same on the opposite side of the road and sadashivam opened the door and let buddha out and he himself slowly got out and with a sigh stretched his body.He had driven at a speed which he was comfortable with and even though the 80 to 90 kms felt slow they had managed to cover nearly 200 kms and were in the outskirts of Virudhachalam.Buddha gently got out and went to nearby bush and did the same thing which sadashivam did.Buddha went around sniffing the air and generally walked around the trees and the adjoining paddy fields and sadashivam thought this would be a good time to finish breakfast and then he thought of buddha and what to give him to eat.Sadashivam opened the four storey tiffin carrier which had a five storey friend next to it.Sadashivam ' What did kamalam think while she packed these giant food vessels? did she think that i was going to feed people all the way to madurai or did she want me to survive on this food alone for the time i am away from home? '

The four storey steel containers had idlis packed in two and chutney in the other.the top most compartment was filled with a few cheese sandwiches and the minute he opened that one,buddha came and sat next to him and let out a small whine,and looked at the sandwiches longingly.The two sets of sandwiches vanished into thin air like a trick performed by a master magician and all sadashivam was left with was his open mouth in amazement.

Sadashivam was happy that at least the dogs food problem was solved for the moment and wondered what else  the animal fancied.But he didn't have to wonder for long for buddha let out another whine and sadashivam with an idli that was about to attain nirvana in his hungry tummy,turned and looked questioningly at buddha.The huge dog looked at the idli in his hand and then looked down at the tiffin carrier where mini mountains of idlis were tightly packed together.
Saashivam had never heard of a dog eating idlis although he had heard one of his friends raghuraman tell him that his dog liked athirasam a lot.
He slowly put a newspaper next to buddha and placed two idlis on it.One moment they were there and next moment they had travelled at the speed of light into buddha's huge mouth.The dog whined again and sadashivam placed two more and then two more and the dog looked at him with an expression more of content than gratitude and gently burped in his face.

Sadashivam rolled his eyes and thought ' when it comes to food,it looks like buddha is similar to kamalam' and started laughing.The dog stretched itself in the cool shade,but its eyes were on sadashivam. The road vibrated constantly when a huge truck or lorry whizzed past leaving a vrrooom noise.Alone,highway,under the shade of the tree,not a care in the world and all the time to go about the plans.well this is bliss thought sadashivam and he wondered why he had not done this earlier.

The calm was stirred when buddha let out a small growl of warning and then lay stretched on the grass but the growl shook sadashivam out of his thoughts and he turned to see an old man standing near his car.Sadashivam asked him waht he wanted and the man gestured to his throat and mouth and sadashivam realising he was thirsty gave him a bottle of water to drink.

Sadashivam asked him if he wanted any money to buy breakfast but the old man gently refused it.

The old man ' where are you off to sir ?'

' sadashivam.please call me sadashivam. i am off to madurai.'

'Madurai.Its been such a long time since i saw my mother meenakshi amman  and my father sundareswarar.sadashivam is travelling to madurai to see himself.'

Sadashivam thought to himself that the old man was rambling and decided to let the poor man finish before he and buddha got ready to leave.

The old man looked at sadashivam ' ellam shivamayam.sadashivam,if you dont mind me telling you,then do as i tell you.for it will help you.after you visit the meenakshi amman temple,please go visit azhagar kovil for it will be good for you.'

Sadashivam nodded ok,just to please the man and thought of telling him that they had to leave and try to reach madurai by late afternoon.But the old man himself got up and thanking shivam was about to leave,when buddha went up to the old man and put his paw out.The old man,surprisingly agile for his age,crouched by buddha and took his paw and shook it.He then slowly lifted the dogs jaw and stared at the markings on the neck and tears bloomed in his eye.he then laughed to himself.

The old man saw sadashivam staring at this and said ' please go visit azhagar kovil as per my request and i am also now very sure that i have met you for a reason and  realise that our paths will cross again.'

Saying this the old man walked away and sadashivam stood staring at buddha and the receding figure of the old man.He did not know what to make of the whole incident and also was getting a feeling that something was happening and that it was beyond his perception and intelligence.He looked at buddha ' so madurai temple and then azhagar kovil.what next i wonder, for but poor me everyone else including you seem to know what is going on.'

With both in the car and with his seat belt on,sadashivam checked his rearview mirrors for traffic and also checked the lane he was getting into, for in india people drove on which lane their heart fancied or which lane lord yama,the god of death had fixed their appointment to hell or heaven.With the lane clear,and his right indicator switched on he slipped into the highway and accelerated towards madurai and to his final destination.

"The path to our destination is not always a straight one. We go down the wrong road, we get lost, we turn back. Maybe it doesn't matter which road we embark on. Maybe what matters is that we embark." Barbara Hall

Edited by s.satishkumar - 9 years ago
light_dark thumbnail
                                               HARI HARA

Flowers rained softly from the skies and the sun dimmed himself behind some clouds.He did it for all the gold and jewels on the people and gods assembled there were reflecting his light and competing with the bright light sitting on the throne.

Lord rama sat in all glory with sita next to him and with his brothers around him.Mighty kings and powerful men paid their homage and secretly paid homage to the mighty king of the world and the almighty god of the whole universe.Rama with a benevolent smile acknowledged all this and blessed them and thanked them for the love and affection.He and sita honored all the warriors who had fought with him in the great war against Ravan.

He then slowly raised his hand and a silence filled the air and skies.Gently taking sita's hand,they both stepped down and everybody looked on in amazement, wondering what was happening and anxious to know what was going to happen.

Rama and sita came and stood before the kneeling hanuman and holding sanjeevini's shoulders slowly raised him up.Yet hanuman stood with his hands folded and with his eyes cast on rama's feet.The people looked on at this amazing spectacle for it looked like two mighty suns stood facing each other and though hanuman stood in his monkey form,people felt the divinity flow from his presence.

Rama looked at hanuman ' My friend,i have thanked all those who helped me during my troubles and all those who stood shoulder to shoulder with me and fought against ravan.You are the only person who i have yet to thank for all the help you gave us and for saving all our lives,many times.But my dear one,by saving my life you have risen above me in stature and are now in the status of protector. A mother is a protector,a father is a protector and our parents are the ones who give us our very lives.Since you have given me and laxman our lives back,you are now equal to our parents.So tell me how do i gift or what can i give one who has given everything to us.Our lives,our kingdom and all the wealth in it are yours.I offer all this in my love and devotion for you.'

Hanuman's eyes filled with tears and he kneeled again and held on to rama's feet and said 'my only wish is that as long as there is life in me,promise me that you will be in my soul and i should die the minute you leave my soul.'

Rama smiled and granted his wish and then looked at hanuman ' i have one wish,one request that i want you to do for me.will you please do it.'

Hanuman with tears pouring from his eyes ' my lord,this body,every drop of blood in it and every breath i take chants your holy name.what more can i ask for than be of use to you,not once but millions of times.so,command me my lord,what do you want me to do ?'

Rama ' will you hold me in your arms,so that i can feel the same love and protection i used to feel when my father used to hold me.'

Hanuman gently took rama in his arms and as rama laid his head on hanumans chest,he heard his name being chanted by the mighty heart.'

Rama smiled and it was hanuman's turn to be surprised when he heard his lord's heart chant his other name' Rudra,Rudra'

Both stood in each other's arms and in their avatars and the whole universe rang with the chants of 'HARI HARA,HARI HARA'
light_dark thumbnail
                                 Heaven or Hell

I wish you well though you wish me hell
You wish me hell though you see me drowning in a well
i wish you heaven though you wish me hell
i wish you well though you play sly games
without naming names
i wish you well though you wish me hell
for i know hell very well and i don't wish you hell
hell or heaven they wait for the bell
when it will toll or for whom the bells toll
baby you just can never tell
i offer to take and share your pain
and you know there is nothing for me to gain
for it matters not your pain or my pain
but you wish me hell for you are in hell
though i wish you heaven
you wish me hell and prefer me drowning in a well
for rather than swim and escape you prefer to drag me
down into your well that is filled with your hell

light_dark thumbnail
                         Broken and partitioned

Time was when the windows of the bedroom fogged up
steam drifted from our bodies and the sheets were wet with our sweat
we rocked from morning to night and the legs of the cot
squeaked and broke for we were  too hot and too heavy
now there is cold in the room and the sheet is freezing
you on your side and i on my side
we are like poles drifting apart far away and away

Time was when we were stuck together and they said siamese twins
and now we are two islands with a iron curtain
where is the heat and where has the steam gone

Time was when you thought and i spoke
you felt and i did all your hidden thoughts and desires
but now we speak an alien language

men in black coats stand and talk for us
and a man in black sits high above and judges us
they talk about partition of wealth and property
and they talk about movable and immovable assets
but what do we baby with our souls
for you still have mine and i still own yours

the wind could not penetrate us when together
but now a huge chasm lies deep and broad

time was when we were two and became one
and one has become two and we go our ways
ways of loneliness,you north and i south

Time,baby what has time done to us

light_dark thumbnail

A woman went shopping

At cash counter she opened her purse to pay. The cashier noticed a TV remote in her purse.
He cud'nt control his curiosity n asked "Do u always carry ur TV remote with u?"
She replied " No, not always, but my husband refused to accompany me for shopping today.. ...
Moral : Accompany ur wife...

The story continues...
The shopkeeper laughs and takes back all the items that lady had purchased.
Shocked at this act, she asks the shopkeeper what is he doing.
He said your husband has blocked your credit card...
MORAL : Respect the hobbies of your husband.

Story continues...
Wife took out his husbands credit card from purse and swiped. Unfortunately he didn't block his own card.
Moral: Dont underestimate the power of a WIFE.

Still continues...
After swiping, the machine indicated 'ENTER OTP SENT TO YOUR MOBILE'.
Moral: When Man tends to lose, machine is smart enough to save him!

Still continues...
When she turned back with depression, her mobile ringed showing forwarded SMS "your OTP is..."
Finally she bought her items & returned back happily
Moral: what are you thinking about Men! He always sacrifices himself for his wife.

light_dark thumbnail
A wife texts her husband on a cold winter's morning: "Windows frozen."
Her husband texts back: "Pour some lukewarm water over it."
The wife texts back 5 minutes later: "Computer completely messed up now."
light_dark thumbnail
Kiran bedi on 7th. Yeh dilli, woh dilli,meri dilli, achi dilli, Sachi dilli, a dilli b dilli...
Bedi on 10th. Kya dilli.. Kiska dilli!!!!!
light_dark thumbnail
Wise Proverbs From Around the World!

We all know many proverbs, but seldom do we know where they come from. In fact, research suggests that most of the proverbs we know did not come from our own culture! In the rich and complex history of our world and the many thousands of different cultures and countries that have risen, fallen and maintained, we have discovered many truths, and have coined many phrases and proverbs.

Here you can have a glance at that wealth of wisdom, collected from 100 nations and cultures, in one list. You may be surprised to discover the origin of some famous proverbs, as well as the wisdom that every country has to offer!

Afghanistan       
What you see in yourself is what you see in the world.

Albania       
The sun at home warms better than the sun elsewhere.

Argentina   
1. Dress the monkey in silk and it is still a monkey.
2. A man who develops himself is born twice.

Armenia   
You are as many a person as the number of languages you know.

Austria       
A light is still a light - even though the blind man cannot see it.

Azerbaijan   
It's not shameful not to know, but it's shameful not to ask.

Belgium   
He who does not wish for little things does not deserve big things.

Benin   
Anyone who see beauty and does not look at it will soon be poor.

Bosnia   
The eyes of cheats are always full of tears

Brazil       
He who knows nothing, doubts nothing.

Bulgaria       
A tree falls the way it leans.

Burma       
One sesame seed won't make oil.

Cameroon       
A chattering bird builds no nest.

China   
A rumor goes in one ear and out many mouths.

Congo    
A cat goes to a monastery, but she still remains a cat.

Cuba   
Life is short but a smile takes barely a second.

Czech Republic   
     Wisdom is easy to carry but difficult to gather.

Denmark   
    Better to ask twice than to lose your way once.

Egypt       
God loves him who cares for the poor more than him who respects the wealthy.

England       
A fool may ask more questions in an hour than a wise man can answer in seven years.

Ethiopia       
Advise and counsel him; if he does not listen, let adversity teach him.

France       
There is no pillow so soft as a clear conscience.

Gaelic   
 Even God cannot make two mountains without a valley in between.

Georgia   
The eyeless ant asks God for eye-lashes.

Germany
A lean agreement is better than a fat lawsuit.

Ghana   
 Hunger is felt by a slave and hunger is felt by a king.

Greece       
Great abilities produce great vices as well as virtues.

Guinea   
 He who has done evil, expects evil.

Haiti   
Don't insult the alligator until you've crossed the river.

Hindu   
Never strike your wife, even with a flower.

Hungary       
Where ambition ends, happiness begins.

Iceland       
He who lives without discipline dies without honor.

India       
The cobra will bite you whether you call it cobra or Mr. Cobra.

Iran   
Acquaintance without patience is like a candle with no light.

Ireland   
He who gets a name for early rising can stay in bed until midday.

Israel       
1. Poverty is a wonderful thing. It sticks to a man after all his friends have forsaken him.

2. Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side.

Italy   
Between saying and doing, many a pair of shoes is worn out.

Jamaica   
When you go to a donkey's house, don't talk about. ears.

Japan   
1. Time spent laughing is time spent with the gods.

2. Fall seven times, stand up eight.

Kenya   
Having a good discussion is like having riches.

Korea, South   
Aim high in your career but stay humble in your heart.

Kurdish       
It is more difficult to contend with oneself than with the world.

Latin   
Keep quiet and people will think you are a philosopher.

Lebanon   
Lower your voice, strengthen your argument.

Madagascar   
Words are like eggs: when they are hatched they have wings.

Malaysia   
A fool is like the big drum that beats fast but does not realize its hollowness.

Malta   
Where the heart loves, there the legs walk.

Mexico   
It's not enough to know how to rise - you must also know how to fall.

Morocco   
Evening promises are like butter: morning comes, and it's all melted.

Netherlands       
A handful of patience is worth more than a bushel of brains.

New Zealand       
The more you ask how much longer it will take, the longer the journey will seem.

Niger    Accomplishment of purpose is better than making a profit.

Nigeria   
The death that will kill a man begins as an appetite.

Norway        Luck is loaned, not owned.

Palestinian       
You will not dare mistreat the face you see in the morning.

Philippines    phillipns

People who never break things first will never learn to create anything.

Poland   
The greatest love is a mother's, then a dog's, then a sweetheart's.

Portugal   
Beware of a man that does not talk and a dog that does not bark.

Romania   
Eating and scratching want but a beginning.

Russia   
Success and rest don't sleep together.

Rwanda
    You can outdistance that which is running after you, but not what is running inside you.

Samoa   
Stones decay; words last.

Saudi Arabia   
A book is a garden carried in the pocket.

Scotland       
Be slow in choosing a friend but slower in changing him.

Senegal       
The opportunity that God sends does not wake up him who sleeps.

Sicily       
Only your real friends will tell you when your face is dirty.

spain thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Nice list of worldly-wise proverbs...
I read some of them again a few more times today.

With a username like "spain"...
here is another one to add to the grand list...
a spanish proverb from the country Spain!

"Take what you want, God said to man, and pay for it."

There was a really nice article attached with this Spanish quote...
and I thought it was worthwhile to share here.

--------------------------

"Everything you want in life has a price connected to it. There's a price to pay if you want to make things better, a price to pay just for leaving things as they are, a price for everything."

-Harry BrowneThink about your life. What price have you paid to get it?

When I was a child (around 10 or 11) I decided that I wanted to learn how to play the guitar. I expressed this desire to my parents. After they had some time to think about it, they sat me down for a talk. My parents told me they were willing to buy me a guitar (and send me to guitar lessons) on the condition that I practice every day. The choice was mine. I thought about it and decided I didn't want to pay the price.

"Every luxury must be paid for, and everything is a luxury, starting with being in the world." -Cesare Pavese

Let's pretend for just a moment that I had decided to put in the time and effort to learn how to play the guitar, and I got really, really good at it. I got so good at it that I ended up in a famous band touring around the world. I made tons of money, partied with other famous people, stayed in the finest hotels, didn't have to clean up after myself, and didn't have to cook a meal.

That may sound pretty great to you. At the time I made the decision not to learn to play the guitar the only "price" I saw was one of time/fun. If it turned out I didn't like it (the guitar lessons), I would still have to keep it up for who knows how long. I knew my parents. This wasn't like wanting a dog and promising you are going to feed it, take care of it, and clean up it's poop " and then getting the dog and not doing it. This was serious. This would be enforced.

Think about it " Everything has it's price. You pay for the choices you make in life. And you can pay for choices you don't make (like natural disasters, accidents, getting robbed, etc.), and for what you choose not to do (for example, getting an education, unprotected sex, saving for a rainy day, learning a new thing, etc.). Some of the ways in which we pay are with our time, freedom, money, trust, peace of mind, health, relationships, privacy, sweat (hard work) and tears.

"No matter what we want of life we have to give up something in order to get it." -Raymond Holliwell

Seriously think about it. Let's look at actors/authors/performers. They had to deal with rejection numerous times. No one becomes an overnight success. (A good rags to riches story is that of author J. K. Rowling, of the "Harry Potter" series. You can read about some of her life/struggle here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._K._Rowling.) I've heard actors say they prepare themselves for a role by studying for the part. The other day my hubby told me of one great actor who said to prepare for a role he moves away from his family for 3 months. He does this so he can be alone to study for his upcoming role and to live "in character." Now let's add to the list. Think for a moment about the life of a singer/musician. It's easy to see the rewards. What price do you think they pay?

Here are some things I can think of. Time. I know one thing involved is many, many hours of practice. If they go on tour, that's large amounts of time away from the comfort of their home, their family and friends. Relationships are sacrificed. Maybe in part it's due to the lack of time and nuturing a relationship needs. For some, the price of fame also includes the loss of their privacy. Who wants to have to wear a disguise just to go to the store? Photographers are constantly following celebrities and taking photos of them at times when they don't necessarily want to be photographed. And then there are the constant rumors that go around about their lives. Plus, moments that I think any of us would want kept quiet are broadcasted and written about for the whole world to know. Haven't we heard enough stories and seen enough photos of Jennifer Anniston, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie? We keep hearing in the news about all these men cheating on their wives. Do we really need to know who's zooming who? Is it any of our business?

Not long ago I saw this woman on tv who was living a very extravagant lifestyle " courtesy of her hubby. She said when she realized her hubby was cheating, she decided to turn a blind eye to it because of the lifestyle they lived. She loved the lifestyle (and the shopping) and didn't want to give it up. 

Everything has a price to pay. 

Are you willing to pay for it?
light_dark thumbnail
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIzCBU0_LyY

Mere Mehboob Qayamat Hogi
Aaj Rusva Teri Galiyon Mein Mohabbat Hogi
Meri Nazrein To Gila Karti Hain
Tere Dil Ko Bhi Sanam Tujhse Shikayat Hogi
Mere Mehboob...
Teri Gali Maein Aata Sanam