Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 11 years ago
taran adarsh ?@taran_adarsh

#KaiPoChe collected approx Rs 29.50 cr nett in Week 1. Breakup:- Wknd 18.10 cr, Mon 3.25 cr, Tue 2.95 cr, Wed 2.70 cr, Thu 2.50 cr.

lunza thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: AreYaar

*SPOILERS contd*

And that is why I was so impressed, Lunza...I didn't see his death coming...I hadn't read the book and wasn't aware of any spoilers in that sense...till the very end I was quite convinced that Ali's father was going to die and Ishaan would end up bringing up Ali or something...but the moment Ishaan gets shot, you literally have a "Oh shit!" I didn't see that coming moment...and that is why his death has such an impactOh , I had actually read the spoiler so I knew it was coming.. and yet..  I went Oh! like so many others in the theatre.. ...For he was the one with the purest motivations in all this, he just simply wanted to protect an innocent child and his family Thats what Gattu mentioned in an interview too... that it was a deliberate decision to kill him.. bcuz he was the purest soul of them all.. and he wanted the audience to feel what the people of Gujarat felt when they lost their sons.. Another thing.. which Niki mentioned while we were discussing the movie is that .. that was probably the only thing which could have stopped Omi from killing people that night .. i.e the shock of losing Ish...and he is accidentally shot by his own best friend in the process...it's a very subtle but powerful way of sending out a message about the overall tragedy of the riots...ultimately innocence is what perishes as the devil takes over man and drives him to such extremes...otherwise who can imagine...a soul like Omi...who was literally a simpleton and an idiot in some ways...could do this...that too when he was in a rage wanting to avenge his family's death..You know what .. I actually dont think he would have even killed anyone that night .. despite the fact that bittoo mama convinced him to come along .. Omi was actually walking around in a daze.. looking at all the murder and bloodshed around him.. he snapped after his uncle's death ...but the shock of Ishaan's death drives home the point that ultimately EVERYONE loses when we let hatred and violence take over. 

Yup..

I think Amit was superb in all those bits as he comes out of prison or finally meets little Ishaan and yes his last scene with Vidya in the stadium...their forgiveness indeed managed to make him survive or he wouldn't have been able to survive Ishaan's death...I think that is what makes me so sad for his character...he literally LIVED for Ishaan...uske aage peechhe ghoomta tha, hung on to his every word...it used to be him and Ish against Govi even in arguments...and he lost THAT very friend, brother killed at his own hands...your heart goes out to him.

Cruel Gattu ! 😔 Yes .. those scenes totally belonged to Amit ... 
Sigh ... the entire bit .. after the flashback gets over... from the car ride.. till they reach the stadium.. when Gov introduces Omi to Ishaan ... to when Omi sits with Gov's family.. to when Omi breaks down in front in front of Vidya .. to when Ali walks to the ground.. and hits the shot that Ish would have been proud of... and sigh ... the last frame of the movie .. 

I loved the entire sequence .. but I dont know which emoticon describes it better - ❤️ or 💔 ..

I am watching it again tomorrow .. this time with my family..

Fatima_Q thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

I think almost everyone has seen KPC so I hope none of my comments will count as spoilers, but I just want to give my take on the movie.  Feel free to read at your own risk. 😆

So, I finally got to see Kai Po Che on Saturday.  I'll admit that my enthusiasm for the movie was a bit dampened by the spoilers coming out in the reviews about Ishaan dying.  But nevertheless, I have to say AK delivered a solid storyline with superb acting by the entire cast.  I never read Chetan Bhagat's book, but because KPC and its characters' descriptions were something we were reading about for so long, it didn't really matter.  I could connect with everyone.

About Sushant...what can I say?  I was beaming with pride as Introducing Sushant Singh Rajput came on the screen. 

I'd never seen him act as anything other than Preet, so this was going to be a treat.  Sushant had said that Ishaan was unlike any character he had played before, but going into the movie (and especially having seen footage of him drawing that smiley face on the board) I thought I was going to see a Gujrati version of Preet.  I was wrong.  Rugged, ghuseela, impulsive, fiercely determined, yet pure at heart, Ishaan was totally different.  And Sushant did a brilliant job of playing him.  His facial expressions, his body language, the emotions he emoted from his eyes...like I said, just brilliant.  He deserves every single bit of praise coming his way.  And I'm so proud to be his pankha.

About Raj, I didn't really find his character or acting to be appealling.  For me personally, Govind was a flatliner, i.e. he had no growth.  He seemed exactly the same throughout the film...money-minded.  As an actor, Raj was okay.  Other than his one scene where he bursts out on Ishaan for taking money to have Ali's house repaired...I couldn't really see what the praise was about.  Another Sanjeev Kumar?  I don't know.  But this is just my POV. 

About Amit.  He really surprised me.  I was totally unimpressed with him in the interviews, but I think if anyone did a great job in the film after Sushant, it was Amit.  Wow!  What a huge range of change his character had to go through.  He was just brilliant.  I know in the book it was Govind's 3 mistakes that affect the friends' lives.  But I felt that in the movie Omi's mistakes most affected the outcome of everyone's lives.  First taking the money from his Mama and subsequently getting sucked into the party politics; putting his parents on the Yatra train, despite their unwillingness; and finally, killing his best friend.  I thought I would hate him because he was responsible for Ishaan's death, but surprisingly I didn't.  I actually felt sorry for him, and the fact that he'd have to live with the burden of his mistakes for the rest of his life.    

About Amrita.  Her look was super cute in the movie, but her character annoyed me.  In fact, for me personally Govind-Vidya scenes came in like an unwanted commercial interruption in the real story.  We know why their story was ultimately there (to give us a little Ishaan 😆)... but still...in comparison to the rest of the story they weren't up to par.  I think the only time I was on Vidya's side was when Ishaan tries to beat her up in their fight for the TV remote. 😆

The best thing the movie had going for it was the brilliant and balanced screenplay.  All 3 friends were given importance, with Ishaan having just that slight edge.  I think the fact that the movie had relative  newcomers helped to let the story and the friendship take center stage.  That sounds like something a critic would say, but it's true.  😆

My favorite parts of the movie were of course the scenes between Ishaan and Ali.  My absolute favorite scene was the one where Ishaan goes to bring Ali back after he pushed him.  He goes up to the dilapidated room he's sulking in and peeks through the door and says "Ali Bhai ghar ma che?"  A marble is rolled out and the door opens slightly.  Ishaan goes inside looks around and smiles at Ali, and Ali smiles back.  That just melted my heart.  I also loved their first meeting.  6 sixers in return for Ali's marbles.  Ofcourse he was only able to hit 3 before fainting, but I loved Ishaan's surprise and frustration at being duped by a 12 year old.  

I'm convinced Ali had Attention Deficit Disorder.  His behavior, his father's complaints about him, his ability to hyper-focus whether it be on marbles or the cricket ball, Ishaan's difficulty in dealing with him, Govind's remarks on how he seems lost all the time...I could be wrong, but it all spelled ADD for me 😆  Kudos to the young actor who played him.  Good job!

Another touching scene was the scene when Omi puts his parents on the train and asks his father for his blessings.  His father doesn't respond but then later exits the train and hugs his son.  My heart just sank, because I knew it was going to be for the last time.    

The last 10 minutes of the movie were just gut wrenching to watch, because the moment I had dreaded was upon me.  I had Kis Desh flash backs going off in my head. 

When Ishaan calls Govind from Ali's house and says I'm all alone here and feeling a bit scared can you come over?...my hand went to my mouth, and the Kleenex came out of my pocket.  When Ali's father grabs him and begs him to do something to save them, It was just like Heer begging Preet to find Prem.  And like Preet, Ishaan got in the way of the intended target.  Main phoot phoot ke royi.     

By that time you could pretty much tell which Ishaan Omi was referring to at the beginning of the movie.

For Abhishek Kapoor, I must say you've out done yourself.  Kai Po Che was a 100 times better than Rock On.  The story, the message, the cinematography, the casting, the direction...everything was superb and tastefully done.  But my compliments end here, because I really really hate you.  For someone whose tweets indicated a brilliant and philosophical mind, you tried to pass me a very "filmy" very "Bollywood" ending by showing a little Ishaan or Ishaan's legacy in Ali living on to achieve his dreams. 

Don't think for one minute that it compensated for the fact that you made me love Ishaan and then let him die in cold blood right before my eyes.  I'll quote Elysia here, a friend of mine from the DSDD forum..."true writers don't assassinate their own characters.  They don't compromise their stories".  For 2 hours of escapism was a happy ending too much to ask for?  You proved to me that you are EK's brother, and you are not forgiven.    

Coldplaying thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
taran adarsh ?@taran_adarsh

#KaiPoChe continues to lead, despite two significant releases. 2nd Week: Sat 3.75 cr. All set for 11.5 to 12 cr weekend. Super!

nikitagmc thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
@Fatima: Aah i loved your review! And tumhare monkey emoticons ne toh thread mein ekdum jaan daal di!

@Anu: Thanks for the pics. These 3 really seem to have got along like a house on fire at the shoot. There's a very nice 'behind the scenes' video of the three of them too.
..Sonii.. thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
It was awesome experience when I saw KPC in theatre this Sunday, we rooted for it since the day GO!

Ishaan, Govind and Omi played their part to the best.
The way Abhishek had his touch to every scene made it so special...
Music was special and so was BG
And the message of the film, makes person to think about it

Sushant, you made me cry in your first movie, in beginning when you appeared on silver screen and in the ending!

I have no doubts you will excel in whatever you will do in future.
I wanted to write so much, but not able to gather it now!

Just want to say very happy this film was made and Sushant was part of it!