Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Guggu_Minty thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 11 years ago
Indian film Kai Po Che scores high in Berlin

Kai Po Che, a film about cricket, love and politics set against a backdrop of sectarian violence and an earthquake, bowled over
the crowd at this week's Berlin Film Festival. Kai Po Che (Brothers For Life) sparked cheers and
tears from a packed cinema on Thursday as it screened ahead of
its global release next week.

Based on the best-selling book The Three Mistakes of My Life, the film follows three young
men as they set up a sport shop and cricket coaching academy.
The film's director Abhishek Kapoor told reporters he wanted to shy away from the
traditional Bollywood formula. "I don't think it's a Bollywood film,
it's an Indian film," said Kapoor. He said he hoped the film's format, which
includes TV footage
from the historic
2001 India-Australia
test series and features a cameo by the Indian cricket star Ajay Jadeja, would appeal to a wider
audience. "The world
over, people are interested in Indian
film. But somehow Bollywood films don't connect with people,"
he said.

While the film touches on political and religious issues, ultimately it is about the bond between the leads. "This is what India is about: cricket, politics, religion and movies. But actually this film is about friendship," said Kapoor. "I think it is a very important story for India." - AFP
Guggu_Minty thumbnail
Faheem Ruhani
@ruhanibaatein
Feels good to have watched a film that
succesfully and intelligently adapts the essence of a book. #Kai Po Che. #3 Mistakes Of My Life!

parull gossain @parullxx Kai Po Che what a fab film! Abhishek Kapoor take a bow.

Nitin Tej Ahuja @nitinta #KaiPoChe - a modern masterpiece. Fabulous, flawless cinema. Kudos to everyone associated with it
Tanyaz thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

Those who have seen the film have liked it ..😊

majoni03 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 5

Kai Po Che' a triumph for Indian Cinema

Published: Sun, Feb 17, 2013

Posted by: AVS Newsroom

Let me begin by saying I'm not a film critic, nor am I qualified to be an Industry analyst. Like most people, I enjoy watching movies and admire the art of filmmaking. So why am i writing this? Honestly, it wasn't something I planned, rather a feeling I could no longer ignore. It's been over a week since I watched UTV's 'Kai Po Che' in New York City and I still haven't stopped thinking about it. Yes, it was that impressive and powerful. Before we get into the film, I think it's important to know the man behind the movie.

Writer / Director Abhishek Kapoor isn't new to Indian cinema. On the contrary, he's been around for quite some time, dabbling  in various fields before settling on a filmmaking career. His uncle is Legendary movie star Jeetendra.  So it seemed natural Kapoor would follow in his acting footsteps. He made his debut in 1995's 'Aashique Mastane', but it wasn't until 1997's 'Uff Yeh Mohabbat', that he received top billing as a leading man. 'Shikaar' followed in 2000 and as you may have guessed by now, none of them created any magic at the box office. Looking back, it probably was a blessing in disguise as it forced him to explore other hidden talents like writing and directing.

Fast forward six years and Abhishek Kapoor reveals his filmmaking side with 'Aryan'. Although many critics and moviegoers appreciated his work, box office success still eluded him. That changed in 2008 with the musically charged, multi layered story of friendship''Rock On!!'. Even today, It's  considered by many, including myself, to be a modern day cult classic. It showed us director Farhan Akhtar can act, and one time actor Abhishek Kapoor can direct a commercially successful  film without compromise. Here was a man who created from the heart and made progressive cinema for the masses.

Forward another five years and Kapoor is ready with his big screen adaptation of Chetan Bhagat's best selling novel, 'The 3 Mistakes Of My Life'. You'd think after receiving so much critical and commercial acclaim for 'Rock On!!', producers would be lining up at his doorstep. 'Not so', said the director in a recent interview. Many production houses passed on 'Kai Po Che' before UTV finally gave him the green light. After seeing the finished product, I applaud UTV for having the guts to support one of the most important films of our time.

Within the first five minutes of 'Kai Po Che', Abhishek Kapoor pulls you into his world. The film starts in the present, but flashes back to the early 2000's - a time when India was growing, times were changing and the economy was about to boom. It's during this emergence, we meet Ishaan (Sushant Singh Rajput), Omi (Amit Sadh) and Govind (Raj Kumar Yadav). Three Ahmedabad boys who are the best of friends and ready to embark on their entrepreneurial journey. Each one has his own unique perspective on life and they make no bones about voicing their opinions. But what they have in common is unconditional brotherly love for each other. This is the type of friendship I used to know. When friends were more than just names on facebook. True friends you relied on, stood up for and were the fabric of your being.

Like you, I was also wondering why Kapoor cast new faces instead of relying on more bankable stars. But after watching the movie, I completely agree with his decision. Nobody could have played these three characters or any character in the movie, other than the people that were chosen. Adding known stars would only increase the baggage of perception and stereotypes they bring with them. Here we have fresh actors who rely completely on the sincerity and honesty of performance. And boy what performances!! Omi played by Amit Sadh is the businessman. He's smart with money, but not so much when it comes to love and relationships. Govind essayed by Raj Kumar Yadav is the quiet politician. A loveable character who speaks volumes without saying much. This is especially true in the second half when his eyes do most of the talking. Now, we come to Ishaan played by TV actor Sushant Singh Rajput. He is a breath of fresh air. A street smart guy who wears his heart on his shoulder. Through him, we see our imperfections and are reminded that sometimes it pays to take the road less travelled. Sushant is a revelation! He is brilliant and his performance will be hailed as one of the finest of the year. Trust me, he's got superstar written all over him.

What happens next is'life. Abhishek skillfully weaved in many important events that shook Gujarat and the people of India. Without making any political statements or spending unnecessary time explaining each incident, he manages to get the severity of every situation across. The story remains focused on the friends and how the changing world is affecting their lives. Natural disaster, cricket and communal riots play important roles at different stages. I don't want to give too much away, but there are times you will be smiling one minute and crying the next.

Technically, 'Kai Po Che' is flawless. You know everyone has done their job well when you become a part of the world they've created. Art direction, cinematography, background score, writing, vfx, everyone is at the top of their game. The film has three songs composed by Amit Trivedi. All of them perfect blend into the narrative and are used in the background. If you're not already a fan of 'Manjha', 'Meethi Boliyan' and 'Shubhaarambh', you will be after watching the movie.

You can clearly see Abhishek Kapoor is in full control here. With 'Rock On!!', he created a new genre in Hindi cinema, with 'Kai Po Che' he redefines cinema as we know it. It's commercial, real, relevant, entertaining and engaging all at the same time. Kapoor is a master filmmaker who uses his talent responsibly. He knows nothing hits home, then home itself. While some are busy trying to copy the west, he's telling Indian stories with style and finesse that can easily compete on the world stage. Non South Asians will witness our culture in it's purest, rawest form. I recommend you google Gujarat Earthquake, Cricket in India and 2002 Gujarat Violence before you go in to see this movie. You will need to know the severity of each event to truly understand the impact it has on the characters. If there is any criticism, it's the lack of background information for people unfamiliar to the region.

In the end, I left the theater with a heavy heart and an overwhelming sense of pride. The last 20 minutes are heart pounding, heartbreaking and a satisfying conclusion to the two hour journey. I haven't read Chetan Bhagat's book, but I know the film is very different from the novel.  I'm extremely pleased to see Indian films and filmmakers breaking new ground. If anything, that should be enough reason for everyone to support this movie. 'Kai Po Che' is sensible cinema that entertains. It's material that hits home and stays with you long after you leave the theater. Easily, one of the best of the year. If not, the last 10 years!

by Raju Sethi

Raju Sethi is founder and CEO of AVS Television Network. AVS is the longest running television show in North America which has been broadcasting for over 25 years.

http://news.avstv.com/2013/02/17/kai-po-che-a-triumph-for-indian-cinema/

CrAZiVrAzI thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Nice thread niki di n nice idea ashu di.
tanmi di you have not posted in the main #kaipoche tread. see you there also.

Nkapoor3 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Can't wait for this movie!!
Guggu_Minty thumbnail
That is really a good review.. Thanks for posting..
ishika_sushita thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
The AVS review is a brilliant one...can't wait for friday now...
Thanx for sharing🤗
ProudSushantian thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
manish dubey ?@IamManishDubey

With #kaipoche #zilaghaziabad also releasing but only young boy's koi po che is buzzing in the trade! That's call content meets marketing!

gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8
Komal Nahta ?@KomalNahta

I've always maintaind,@raj_kumar31 (yadav)was an actor 2 watch out for.In KaiPoChe,he is O-U-T-S-T-A-N-D-I-N-G.Shd go places,dis great actor