Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RockBarbie thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 11 years ago

Chapter 9: Your man

"So, how was dinner yesterday?" Anjali asked Khushi waggling her eyebrows. "I didn't hear you guys come in at all," she asked biting her inner cheek and letting innuendo flow freely between them. Khushi bit her lip and continued to saut the vegetables, but the glow on her face was shameless in declaring the happiness she obviously felt.

"He did make up for the missed lunch," Khushi replied quietly, and continued to stir-fry.

"So….what did you do?" Anjali asked winking at Payal who had just walked into kitchen. Khushi had piled her hair in a neat bun without any bangs or even a strand of hair out of its place. The pink border of her lime green cotton sari matched the hue on her cheeks.

"My dear brother-in-law was whistling when he walked in the garden this morning," Payal told Anjali and nudged Khushi's waist with her elbow. "That must have been some date," she sniggered looking at Anjali.

Khushi huffed silently but the smile refused to leave her face.

"What did you do yesterday, darling sister, to have our resident stiff neck to prance around like a lovesick puppy," Payal asked with Anjali nodding all the way.

"Though that resident prick is my little brother, I do want to know all the gory details," Anjali said cackling at Khushi's expense. Thoughts of previous night flooded into her brain making her flush again.

"Khushi, did you see my…" Arnav barged into the kitchen in search of Khushi, words dying on his tongue when he looked from his sister to his sister-in-law to his wife, who was incidentally blushing silly. "What's going on?" He asked narrowing his eyes. Payal muttered a curse, unholy and unapproved by her aunt, under her breath for the intrusion.

The women sobered up. Anjali and Payal very well knew what happened the previous day after Anjali's gentle teasing. "Nothing…we were just asking Khushi how the date went," Payal replied in one breath, just above whisper hoping that he wouldn't blow off.

"A lady never kisses and tells my dear sister-in-law." He said pulling Khushi by her waist and slamming her sideways on to his chest. Khushi caught his sweater right on top of his chest and closed her fingers around it. The gentle warm pressure of his right palm on her cool waist sent her heart racing but she knew that it was his message to her body to calm down. Her body betrayed her for him and reacted immediately by relaxing into him. She smiled inwardly when she saw Anjali and Payal looking at Arnav as if he had grown horns on his head. "But men sometimes do like to brag, you know?" Arnav said particularly staring down at Payal. "I could ask Akash…just few nudges in right directions and couple of drinks down, he becomes a blabbering parakeet." Arnav said smiling wolfishly.

Payal's face turned to one that of horror.

"You wouldn't," she said above whisper. Payal, the meekest woman of the lot was standing up to the hottest head of the house and was staring him down eye to eye.

"We can take a bet on it and I can get details to you by tomorrow morning breakfast and explain to all three of you in full graphic detail," he said winking at Payal. Payal had the decency to flush. Throwing a nasty glance at him, she bolted out of the kitchen. Arnav was a beast when it came to bet and she didn't want her intimate life to be out in public.

"Alright…alright…" Anjali said holding up her hands. "I'll leave you two on your own," she said walking out of the kitchen. Arnav waited. "For now," she said grinning at him. "But Khushi, when Arnav goes to office, you have no knight in shining armor to protect you from our questioning," she trilled happily and walked out of the kitchen without waiting for a response.

"Good riddance from nosy parkers," Arnav said making his hold on her waist tight. "Am I really your knight in shining armor?" He asked her. His heart did a victory dance when she giggled into his chest and hid her face.

"You are my prince charming and knight in shining armor saving me from women meddling in my private affairs," she said looking up to him. He rolled her eyes at her over dramatization. "You wanted something?" She asked stepping back from his embrace and returning to saut the vegetables.

"I was looking for a contract that needs my signature." He said leaning on the counter. "It was on the table last night…" He trailed and waited for her reaction. As anticipated, she bit her lips and averted her eyes. Turning off the stove, she walked out of the kitchen with him following her behind her and grinning at the same thought as hers. When he had her hoisted up on the table previous night, they had both swept the table by running the entire length of their arms on it and everything that was present on table was now strewn on the floor.

"What do you want to do for your birthday?" She asked picking papers from the floor. Having woken up late, she had left the mess the way it was and had immersed her time in chores.

"Nothing Khushi," he replied picking few papers. "I am not a fan of my birthday and I prefer it to be just any other day," he said.

"But...it's your birthday," Khushi said sitting straight on floor. "It's your first birthday since we are together," she added softly. He padded to her side and sat next to her on floor.

"I don't like the spotlight to be on me Khushi and my birthday is filled with bad memories. So please, don't do anything out of the proportion okay?" She softened when she heard his pleading tone. "I wouldn't say no to wake up to a nice kiss," he added shoving her arm gently. Khushi laughed at his tone.

"There is something else I want to ask you Khushi," Arnav said and held her hand. "Are you okay with Sheetal staying in this house?" He asked looking at her. Khushi smiled and nodded her head but he didn't return the smile. His gaze was piercing and questioning which made her respond.

"It's fine Arnav. I know how you feel about her and I trust you," she said squeezing his palm and added a smile in reassurance. But Arnav wasn't buying any of it. He let go of her hands and turned her around to face him. Cupping her face, he lifted her chin and looked into her eyes.

"It's not about me or what I want. I am asking what you want." Arnav said softly. Khushi bit her lower lip and shifted her eyes.

"And what if you don't like what I want," she asked him hesitantly.

"Then fight with me and tell me why. Be honest with me Khushi. Please." He said cradling her face in his palms. She didn't speak for several moments and averted her eyes, thinking.

"It's not like I don't like her or anything Arnav," she said taking his palms out of her cheek and holding in her hands. "It's just that I feel extremely uncomfortable around her. And the thought that she was once close to you and made you happy….drives me insane." She said swallowing the ache that resurfaced after having been buried for several days.

"Are you jealous of her?" He asked, useless male ego filling him to the brink.

"I am; very much, actually." She replied without any hesitation. Ego was immediately replaced by affection making him tackle to the ground. The shriek that left her lungs was silenced by his kiss as he gulped it down along with the truckload of insecurities she carried around with her.

"I'll ask her to look for an apartment or best yet, I will find her one today and help her move out," Arnav said brushing the bangs which had escaped the tight hold of pins from her face. "Okay?" He asked. Not trusting her voice, she simply nodded. He could read the subtle relief in her eyes with the promise that Sheetal would be out of picture. He hadn't thought Khushi's insecurities ran this deep or her passion for him was this depth. Both had come as a surprise for him.

In their room, lying amidst strewn papers, he understood another piece of puzzle that his wife was.

RockBarbie thumbnail

Chapter 10: Boulevard of broken dreams

"Why doesn't Arnav like to celebrate his birthday?" Khushi asked Anjali, checking the embroidery she was working on. She looked up when she heard Anjali sigh.

"Arnav is extra sensitive about things like birthdays – though celebration for most people, he views it as something that only accentuates painful memories." Anjali replied. "He stopped celebrating it after our parents were no more. Everything that happened with our parents scarred him too deep to ever recover from it," she added.

"Is that all there is to it?" Khushi asked looking straight into Anjali's eyes. Anjali bit her lip and looked hesitant.

"I know it feels odd Khushi but this has always been his explanation." Anjali shrugged. "You know his reservation with God Khushi and with that, he lets me off the hook if I cajole him a little. But when it comes to this, he has always been very particular about it," Anjali replied.

Khushi hummed in response and didn't pursue anything further, though there was another thing that was nagging her from several weeks.

"Anjali…" She trailed. Anjali looked up from the magazine she was reading and waited for Khushi to continue. Khushi swallowed and sent a feverish prayer to her favorite goddess. "Do you miss Shyam?" Khushi asked.

Anjali's face fell. She clutched the magazine in her hand tightly and took couple of deep breaths. Khushi scooted closer to Anjali and clasped Anjali's hands in hers.

"I am sorry Anjali," Khushi apologized. "That was out of line."

"What was out of line?" The women heard Arnav's voice from doorway looking at the two of them with raised eyebrows.

"I…" Khushi couldn't formulate a response.

"Yes?" Arnav asked with an unreadable expression on his face.

"I asked Anjali if she missed Shyam," Khushi said softly.

"What?" Arnav's voice held traces of incoming storm. "After everything that has happened, after what we have been through…" Arnav swallowed rest of the words.

"Arnav, I didn't mean to upset her I swear," Khushi said looking between siblings and seeing crestfallen face of Anjali. There were tears in Anjali's eyes and she was biting her lip very hard to not to let them out form the confines of her eyes. Enough tears were shed in the name of that monster. A permanent ache had settled somewhere in her corner of her chest which always reminded her of the biggest tragedy of her life – loss of her unborn child.  

Arnav pulled Khushi to his side in one clean move. "What were you thinking?" Arnav hissed at her. Khushi continued to look at Anjali without paying any attention to Arnav. "Don't talk about Shyam-"

"I miss Shyam a lot," Anjali spoke cutting whatever Arnav was about to say. Arnav and Khushi looked at each other in unfamiliar surprise and looked back at Anjali wondering if they heard her right.

"But Anjali, you know what he did to you. How can you say that you miss that bas***d?" Arnav interrupted doing exactly what he had asked Khushi not to.

"I know exactly what he did to me Arnav. But do you know what he has been to me for past few years? He was my life partner, my friend and a man who I loved unconditionally for so many years. What he became or what he really was isn't really something I can debate anymore." Anjali said in a heavy voice, wiping her tears. Khushi sat next to Anjali and put an arm around her. Moments later, Anjali rested her head on Khushi's shoulder.

"I don't get this Anjali." Arnav said sitting opposite to the women. "Your husband, a psychopath, stalks my wife and tries to seduce her and obsessively stalks her, tries to kill me, tries to kill you and yet you say that you miss him? What kind of love is this?" Arnav shouted. All the calm composure he had maintained till that moment was shattered.

"Arnav!" It was Khushi who responded. "Stop it." She added fiercely.

"What? You actually buy this crap?" Arnav turned to Khushi. His issue with Shyam ran very deep as the two most important women in his life were affected by the said man. Anjali's life turned out to be a sham and Khushi had almost lost her life along with him after the kidnapping fiasco.

"Arnav, that's not fair." Khushi tried to reason after taking one look at Anjali.

"Not fair?" Arnav asked pacing. "Do you even realize the extent of damage that man has done on us, Khushi?" He asked stopping in front of. He grabbed her arms and shook her hoping that the rage that ran in his veins spoke about the torment he felt whenever a flash of past blasted on his mind.

"I too became a monster Khushi." Arnav said in hoarse whisper. She couldn't lift her arms and comfort him as his confession had reeled her into chasm of their collective suffering. She felt suddenly drained out of her energy till only void and ache remained.

It was Anjali who broke the silence. "If you were a monster Arnav, you wouldn't be here accepting it. And if you were really a monster, Khushi wouldn't be here either." Anjali said running her arm on his back. Both Arnav and Khushi looked at the older woman. "I miss Shyam now in this moment but I am sure the feeling will deplete with every passing day. I haven't forgotten what he has done Arnav I don't think I ever will. But please, allow me some time to get out from his invisible clutches and chains he has bound me in." She turned Arnav around to face her and held his chin face in her hands.

"I promise you Arnav that one day I am going to wake up and not feel hurt resurfacing by looking at the empty side of my bed." She kissed his forehead then. Turning to Khushi, she kissed her forehead too.

Anjali stepped back and watched her brother and her sister-in-law with all the affection she could muster in moments filled with her own suffering. "And that day, I will be truly free," she said with a smile that held strength, a definitive promise and a small smile.

Khushi lunged forward and hugged the older woman. It was probably one of those moments where the patience, endurance and maturity those only years can give shone in Anjali. She was more of a mother figure to Arnav than that of a sister and in times like these, it was brought out in open.

A man had had enough poison in him to concoct an elaborate plan to kill his wife and his wife's sister to possess his brother-in-law's wife.

It was, perhaps, life's most vulgar expression of inhumanity.

Arnav and Khushi sat on bed next to each other, their shoulders barely touching. What happened downstairs was playing on both their minds at different speeds.

"Sometimes I feel like destroying the pool," Arnav said twisting and turning his fingers. The room was dark except for the lone lamp that shone above the head post. The light fell softly on his cheeks making him look tad dangerous in the dark. In that moment, he was anything but.

"Because of what happened before?" Khushi asked. She couldn't bring herself to make a physical contact just yet given how distant Arnav suddenly seemed.

Arnav nodded. "But I never will. You know why?" He asked. She shook her head but noted that he wasn't looking at her but was still looking down at his lap. "I will never destroy it because it will be my constant reminder of my past – our past." He breathed nosily.

"My sins are far too severe to be pardoned in this lifetime Khushi. I am only hoping that by giving you insane amount of happiness, I can attempt at atonement." He said his voice barely above whisper.

She swallowed the pain that rose in her throat – pain born out of grief for her love, for the things of the past and the happiness they could have built their life upon instead of complications and misunderstandings. 

"Can I demand a moment of happiness now?" She asked.

"Anything," he replied immediately.

"May I kiss you?" Her voice held the same seriousness as before.

Only then he turned to look at her in surprise. Giving him a small smile, she leaned forward and took control. He allowed her to set pace and he was rewarded with a slow lingering kiss.

"Happy birthday," she said and kissed his cheek.

For the first time in that evening, he smiled. She smiled back in reply and looked at him with adoration that only she could muster for a man like him.

He wasn't saying things before due to emotional duress.

Giving her all the happiness in the world was his atonement.

And Khushi was his salvation.

RockBarbie thumbnail

Chapter 11: Can you feel the love tonight

"Khushi…" Arnav called his wife who was sitting on floor and working on calculus. She was apparently brushing up for the restart in her career as a student and he was tickled to see her working on it so precariously. She showed dedication and sincerity in every little thing she did and her studies was now very high on her list of things she wanted to do.

"Khushi, do you want to go see derby?" He asked buttoning his vest.

Looking up from the textbook, she peered curiously and asked, "What's a derby?" Arnav was momentarily taken aback but recovered quickly. He cocked his head sideways beckoning her over to him which she complied almost immediately. She picked up his blazer and held it out for him to push his arms through. A part of him was immensely satisfied with this utterly domestic act of hers and the normalcy of the action made him smile a little.

"Derby is horse racing," he said. "It's one of the few things I enjoy very much and I was thinking you should come today."

"Where is the fun in horse racing?" Khushi asked him.

"I guess it's in the thrill of watching finely bred horses and discipline of the jockeys when they race across the grass. I find it…exhilarating to watch the horses speed," he said turning around and face her, his eyes shining at the memories of an old race. Khushi looked thoughtful chewing her lower lip. "So, will you come to watch derby with me?" He asked softly.

Khushi frowned. She had seen horse racing only in television, movies to be specific and she never understood why people would spend time and money to watch horses run around for hours.

"How about watching a movie?" She said smiling as she remembered the movie of her favorite star released over the weekend. She missed disappointment crossing his face as she turned around at the thought of watching her favorite super star on large screen. "There is a story – a hero who wants to save the world, fights evil villains and romances a beautiful girl. In the end he is successful in whatever his endeavor was and he lives happily ever after with the heroine. Let's not forget songs," she gushed and finally turned around to see his face. An unreadable expression welcomed her and her enthusiasm fell a little. "Can we please watch a movie instead of going to derby?" She asked again hopefully.

His face cleared at the sight of her and he nodded with a small smile. She let out joyous laughter, ran and hugged him tightly. "Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you," she expressed her gratitude repeatedly and rubbed her cheeks on his jacket clad chest.

"It's alright Khushi. Call Aman and tell him which movie you want to go and he will arrange for tickets, okay?" He said chuckling at her renewed enthusiasm. She ran out unable to hold her enthusiasm as he watched it in mild amusement. Once she was out of sight, he took the brochure of the special event organized at the race course for the derby that day and threw it to dustbin crumpling it as he did so.

It was a little dramatic on his part but he wanted the damn brochure which put ideas in his head out of sight.

He sighed looking at his Blackberry which indicated of half a dozen missed calls from his dear wife. He knew he was a bit late to the movies but he hoped she would forgive him. He was held up in a meeting and the other party hadn't gotten the hint when he looked at his wrist watch more than once. He had given up on subtlety and finally stood up and asked everyone to take a break for the day.

He rubbed his eyes as the escalator smoothed vertically bringing him closer to destination. Stepping out in one swift move, he looked around the arena for his wife, a pissed off wife to be precise, and made mental list of ways he could apologize to her. He spotted her near the entrance waving at him with a bounce in her feet. He felt the mild fear gripping his spine leave him when he saw her smiling; at least she wasn't angry or irritated at him for being late.

He stopped in his tracks after taking several steps towards her because it wasn't just her who was at the movies but the entire family. He sighed in annoyance and walked briskly towards them. He had wanted to see the movie alone with her but as usual she had made it to a family event. He loved his family but there were times when he wanted to spend some time alone with his wife outside the boundaries of their room.

"This was a great idea chhote!" Anjali exclaimed who looked as giddy as Khushi. Khushi was probably a bad influence on his sister, he thought in continued annoyance.

"In my life I have no other goal but to live to please my family, Di," he said sarcastically. Anjali swatted his arm playfully and started chatting happily with NK.

"I have never been to a theater like this chhote," his grandmother exclaimed looking around the entrance of multiplex which smelled of fresh popcorn, pastries and air-freshener.

His annoyance reduced a little when he saw the collective enthusiasm of his family.

"Would you like to eat some caramel popcorn naani?" He asked ushering his grandmother. "I assure you are going to love it," he said at her confused expression. She shrugged and nodded allowing her grandson to show the ways of the changed world.

All the disappeared annoyance made a bombastic invasion into his system when Khushi sat in between Anjali and NK in cinema hall. He was left to tend for himself at the far end of the row while his wife ostentatiously celebrated every time her hero struck a bad guy. He rubbed his temple first in annoyance and then in boredom as his natural rational mind refused to accept the mediocre illogical bile splashed on screen. During a particularly intimate song he saw Akash who was sitting next to him, discreetly clasp Payal's hand and squeezed a little. He saw Payal lean a little towards her husband and clutched his hand tightly.

A pang of loneliness hit him when he saw his arm hanging loose on the arm rest; his arms had longed to hold his wife's hands when they watched a movie and played with her fingers in darkness. Sighing deeply at the sight, he stood up. Akash barely paid attention to him as he slipped without disturbing the couple. He turned around once to see if Khushi noticed his absence but to his disappointment, she was cooing at the onscreen couple. Sighing once more, he walked out of the cinema hall. He spent next fifty minutes continuing with meetings he had cancelled for the afternoon. He decided to get some work done so that once back in office, he could catch up easily.

He walked back into the hall right when the last scene of the movie was being played and half the theater was cheering happily at the ending. He smiled a little when he saw Khushi wiping her nose with her dupatta and wiping tears with back of her hand. He rolled his eyes at her involvement with the movie and smiled a little to himself fondly.

"Had fun?" He asked Khushi as they walked out of the theater.

"The movie was awesome," she gushed happily and started on a rant about how good few parts of the movie was. He listened without interrupting her amused at the way she was entranced about the whole thing.

"I have to go back to office Khushi. I am sorry I can't come home right away," he said sincerely. She looked torn for a moment but she recovered fast.

"It's alright. I am happy that we could spend some time together," she replied, smiling.

Arnav simply nodded but didn't contradict her. She looked content with the time spent and he didn't want to spoil by telling what he really felt.

Sometimes it did no good to anyone when emotions were analyzed like a math problem.

There was sweetness in the disappointment and satisfaction in that loneliness.

For the first time since she had known him, she couldn't figure out the expression on her husband's face as she bid goodbye to him.

"You seem tired," she noted as he stretched his back. Throwing his jacket and vest on floor, he had started stretching his back as soon as he walked into his room.

"I sat through a dumb presentation for three hours Khushi. I have to check if I have lost some IQ points since afternoon," he said snidely. She chuckled a little at his irritation and pushed him by chest. He plopped on the bed and watched her wide eyed at her…advancement. Going behind him, she relaxed his muscles by applying gentle pressure using her thumb and fingers. He sighed and bent his neck forwards allowing her full access of his back. The gentle yet effective caress made him putty in her hands and closed his eyes to savor the moment.

"Why didn't you tell me?" She asked him softly. She stopped the massage and hugged him from back resting her head on his shoulders. He caught her arms on his stomach and pulled her much closer.

"Tell you what, Khushi?" He asked breathing in her scent. Khushi smelled of talcum powder, turmeric and an essence he had come to call her uniqueness.

"Why didn't you tell me that you really wanted to go to derby?" She asked again, her nose rubbing his shoulder.

"I think I did, didn't I?" He replied rocking them a little. He liked this – coming home to her and draining the stress out of his system because of her nearness.

"You did but you didn't tell me that you really wanted to go. When I refused, you didn't…press further," she hesitated. "I found the brochure in dustbin and only then I realized that you wanted to attend the event there with me," she said.

"Khushi…" He trailed. He honestly didn't know what to say. It had irked him a little at the moment but he had already let go.

"I am sorry," she said.

Noting the quiver in her voice, he pulled her from his back and placed her on his lap. Unshed tears decorated her eyes, surprising him.

"Why are you crying Khushi?" He asked, holding her firmly. He had no idea he had hurt her in some fashion that day. "I am sorry if I-"

"I am sorry for not realizing that you wanted to spend some time today with me Arnav," she cut him before he went on a spree of apologies. "It came to me when I saw you missing from your seat during the movie and it clicked as to why," she said clutching his shirt and hiding her face in his chest.

"Why?" He asked wanting to know the answer himself.

"All you wanted was to spend some time with me. If not anything, I should have at least sat next to you during the movies since I know that you are not interested in those kinds of movies at all," she said hoarsely. He smiled at the woman in his arms. Of course she would notice his discomfort; it was unwise to think otherwise.

"I do agree that I was disappointed a little but…I am glad you got the entire family out together. We never seem to go out together for anything fun, isn't it?" He asked hoping it would take her mind of him for a moment.

"That's what I thought and thus the planning but…" she trailed not knowing how to continue. He noticed the sudden pink in her cheeks and the shine in her eyes. If his hands were free and not holding her, he would have then scratched his head stupidly.

"I missed you," she said looking at him. "It may sound incredibly selfish and childish but at that moment I wanted you…just you to be there next to me and watching that movie." She said and bit her lip. "Does this make me a bad person?"

Not trusting his voice, he simply shook his head.

Though anticipated, he hadn't expected her conflicts to be so deep rooted within her. She sincerely believed that happiness had to be a collective experience than an individual one. Guilt morphed into her system whenever she felt that she was the sole recipient of happiness; was it guilt of inequality in receiving happiness or if it was the fact that she has been chosen at all, he didn't know.

For everything she had gone through before he barged into her life like a bad hurricane, he wished he could take away all the insecurities, guilt and self-denials from her. He hugged her close and pressed his lips on her forehead.

In that embrace, his loneliness from the day melted.

RockBarbie thumbnail

Chapter 12: Weight of the world

"…So we can commit these deadlines and ensure that things get…"

"Arnav!" Khushi called out her husband's name in happiness entering his cabin without bothering to knock. She had some terrific news and she wanted to share with him immediately.

Arnav's team of legal counsel working on a fairly large proposal looked at the woman who had broken the meeting, wearily. Arnav nodded at men and said, "We will take a break for thirty minutes gentlemen." The team shuffled out of his office within thirty seconds.

Khushi watched them leave and once the last person left the cabin after closing the door behind him, she turned around to look at her husband. Arnav was looking at her with a question on his face and rocked the chair displaying the mild impatience.

Not saying anything, she took an envelope from her bag and handed it to him. He took it wordlessly and opened it maintaining an eye contact with her the entire time. Her happy expression amused him and her silence intrigued him. He opened the letter inside the envelope and ran through it quickly. By the time he reached the end, he sported a matching happy smile and walked around the table to stand in front of her.

"Congratulations Khushi, this is great news," he said sincerely.

"I know, right?" She said bouncing on her feet. "As soon as I read it, I knew I had to tell you this." She said happily.

"This is a big thing; you have been accepted into a very good college Khushi. Want to go and celebrate tonight?" he asked placing the letter back inside the envelope. When his question was met with silence, he looked up and searched her face for cues he might have missed. She was wearing one of her brightly co-ordinated dresses with tinkering bangles, jingling anklets and dancing earrings. She resembled the girl she was months ago and not the woman he was seeing for the past few weeks.

Her face had fallen at his question. She hesitated to reply. After shifting on her feet for couple of moments, she answered. "I was hoping we could go out to lunch now." Looking at the surprise look on his face, she back peddled really quickly.  "I forgot in my jubilee that you may have an afternoon slammed with meetings and other stuff, so…" She waved her hands around to hide the disappointment and the awkwardness at the obvious display of her desire. "We can go to the place where we went last week. I will be ready by seven." She nodded in determination and continued. "Okay, so, see you in evening."

She could only manage to turn around and take three steps before she was hauled back and slammed on to his chest.

"Not so fast lady," he said, voice above whisper.

"Arnav, your thirty minute break will be over soon," she said. "I don't want you to get into trouble because of this," she finished lamely.

He raised an eyebrow at that. "I own this company Khushi so I don't think anyone will mind if i am a bit late to the meeting," he said taking in her rosy cheeks. "But you do have a point," he said smiling softly. She looked up from his chest and gazed unabashedly. "It's a hectic afternoon and I won't be able to take you out." He said noting in the disappointing settling on her face with every additional syllable he sprung out.

"It's okay Arnav," she said stepping away from him a little. His arms suddenly felt empty and hung around him uselessly. "I am sorry, I didn't think…I just ran…" she shuffled on her feet awkwardly.

He smiled and sighed deeply.

"It's alright Khushi. Sometimes even I have this insane urge to run to you and share my happiness with you." He said fondly.

"Then why don't you?" She was quick to ask.

He walked towards her and noted in satisfaction that unlike before, she didn't step back when he took a step forward. Her body looked high strung to him in the way it was taut and ready for him to confront. Typical Khushi, he mused. "It's because of what I am," he said pulling her and walking backwards.

Once his back hit the table, he stopped walking and leaned on it sitting on the corner and dangling his legs. Khushi watched him with furrowed eyebrows.  "Is it because you are The ASR?" She asked stressing on "the" part of it.  

"Partially, yes," he said in a non-committal tone.  "Not the personification of a magnanimous creature but because of what I represent," he replied.

"Of course you do," Khushi said taking a step back. "You are the CEO of this company and cannot waste time in dilly dallying at an idyllic countryside celebrating something so…asinine." She shrugged and took a step back. "I get it." She added and adjusted the strap of her bag. He opened his mouth to speak but she beat to him to it. "Really. I get it."

"Khushi it wasn't what I meant. What I meant was-" Khushi didn't allow him to finish.

"You are a busy man Arnav and I apologize for barging in like this, uninvited." He couldn't read expression on her face. Months ago she was the easiest book to read but no thanks to him, she was now a bloody paradox. "It won't happen again," she said, turned around and fled.

Arnav sighed and walked back to his chair. He loved Khushi very much but now, he had a deal to close.

He hesitated at the threshold of his room and stared idly at the closed doors. He had called to cancel their dinner which surprisingly had gone well. Or so it seemed when he put down the phone. But Khushi's quiet 'Sure, whatever suits you' response to his request at cancelling their dinner date left his stomach churning. He wasn't sure if she was angry or disappointed.

Anger, he could handle. Disappointment, he couldn't tolerate. Allowing deep breaths, he pushed the door open to find her sitting on the floor and working.

"Sorry Khushi, I had to cancel." He said sincerely kneeling in front of her. She looked up from the text book on her lap and nodded at him. Hint of smile decorated her face but it twitched him when he saw that the smile was just a polite one. It didn't reach her eyes.

"You want some dinner? Di made some really good curry today," she said getting up. "I will warm it up for you." She walked out of the room even before he had a chance to explain.

He rubbed his temple to soothe the onset of an impending migraine and shook his head hoping unknown clutches on his brain causing pain would loosen.

Dining room was dimly lit and her silhouette created disturbing images on the wall. It mixed with his silhouette and made the images all the more capricious.

It was just them; him, her and their shadows. 

Dinner was a quiet affair. Every time he started a conversation, she would excuse herself to get him something or tend to a task in kitchen. He gave up completely when his grandmother walked down and enquired about his day.

"Khushi, stop this." He said with furrowed eyebrows when her indifferent silence continued to next morning. When she didn't respond, he caught her arm and stopped her from walking away from him again.

"What do you want?" She asked flatly, turning around to face him.

He couldn't help but let go of her arm when he saw the bleakness in her eyes. The spark that she carried with her, the intensity which made even her calmness unique was gone. It was as if she was…numb. He swallowed when the thoughts gave him unhappy ideas.

"I want you to listen to me." He said softly hoping that she wouldn't read too much into it.

She crossed her arm in front of her and leaned sideways on the wall. "Are you asking me or telling me?" She asked raising an eyebrow. Arnav bit his lip to control the annoyance which was slowly morphing into anger.

"I am asking you Khushi. Will you please listen to me and not act like a three year old denied of a candy?" He added the last part when his irritation overstepped the bounds of his sanity.

"I hear Di calling me. Let's talk about it when you come back alright?" Not giving him a chance to stop her, she pushed past him and made for a hasty exit. Stopping by the door, she cocked her head to the side and said, "Don't worry too much about it Arnav. My attention span isn't more than a minute given how I am a three year old and all," she said snidely. Chuckling without humor, she walked away carrying a burden of disappointment.

She collapsed into a heap of ache and heartbreak and dashing hopes and finally let the tears to fall.

In their room, Arnav sat on bed with head in his arms and needles in his heart. He closed his eyes shut hoping that tears wouldn't come and bit his lip hard in order to gulp down the yell of anger directed towards himself.

He tasted blood on his lips while she tasted salty tears.

In blood and tears, they were bound by a shared misery.

RockBarbie thumbnail

Chapter 13: Days they are a changing

Anjali and Payal exchanged nervous glances at the obvious coldness from the part of table where Arnav and Khushi were seated. They had withdrawn themselves into their own personal world where no one existed besides them. However the muted conversation their body language spoke was not remotely close to being happy. Being a Sunday, the breakfast was scrumptious and a long affair where family teetered in a slow pace.

"Pass the pickle Khushi," Anjali asked. Anjali was sitting directly across Khushi and exchanged a look with Payal sitting next to her when met with silence. Khushi hadn't looked up from plate and her hand was mixing pickle and curd in an unruly fashion. "Khushi?" Anjali asked again. However this time Arnav took up on the request and placed the pickle jar in front of his sister with a bang.

"Oookay," Anjali said under her breath. Payal merely shrugged when Anjali cocked her head towards Khushi and raised an eyebrow as if to ask 'What's going on with these two?'

Shaking her head, Anjali returned to breakfast and started chatting with her grandmother. Arnav and Khushi were unaware of the things going around the breakfast table kept to themselves and their food. The sight was odd but their family on that particular day chose to ignore it.

"Help me in kitchen Khushi," Payal said grabbing Khushi by arm. Only then Khushi seemed to wake up from a catatonic state and look around her. Seeing Arnav on her side she let out a breath she was holding but turned to her sister almost immediately. Not missing the way she had looked at him, Arnav rose from the table and walked towards his room without as much a backward glance.

"Let's go," Payal said flatly and dragged Khushi along with her. Arnav and Khushi were two very different people represent two ends of a spectrum, any spectrum, and their union brought an everyday confrontation and fireworks.

But after one point, it got exhausting. All one wanted was a peaceful conversation without argument getting too personal. Arnav and Khushi managed to stand on the edge and come back without burning themselves too much. The heat of the pit of fire was enough to give them a jolt of what they meant to each other.

"What's going on?" Payal asked as soon as they were out of everyone's earshot.

"I don't know what you are talking about," Khushi said biting her lips, not looking at her sister.

"Cut out the bullshit Khushi. The two of you fought sometime day before yesterday and it's not yet resolved," Payal closed the door of the refrigerator a bit harder than necessary.

"It's nothing…." Khushi trailed.

"I am sure it's not nothing Khushi. I can see how unhappy you are," Payal asked kindly. Khushi stood by the platform near the sink but didn't respond immediately.

"It's nothing, really." Khushi iterated her voice barely above whisper.

Payal sighed noisily and rubbed her temple at her sister's attempt at nobility.

"Okay," Payal snapped not looking at her. Khushi looked up at the tone of her sister and wondered what annoyed her so. "I'll take care of things here, you can leave," she added in a monotone.

"Ji ji…" Khushi looked at her sister who had busied herself in chores. "It's really nothing," she tried to justify her earlier statement. "It's just one of those things couples face I believe…and I may have overreacted a little," She said hesitantly. Payal stopped mid stride and turned to look at her.

"What happened?" Payal asked.

"Arnav had to cancel dinner because of work and I was really looking forward to it." Khushi shrugged. Payal looked at her pointedly as if to say, 'Complete truth sister!' "That afternoon I went to meet him in his office to show my acceptance letter. I was hoping to go out and celebrate then but he was busy so he asked for dinner. But the day was too hectic and he couldn't make it."

"And that angered you to the point that you haven't been talking to him for couple of days?" Payal asked surprised at her younger sister's behavior.

"I know it sounds stupid!" Khushi cried. "I know ji ji how silly all of this seems now. But…but…" She blubbered. "I was happy," she said hoarsely. Payal almost didn't catch that.

"What?" Payal asked, confused.

"The prospect of going back to the college had made me insanely happy. In that moment, all I wanted was to rejoice with Arnav." Khushi explained, twisting the ring on her little finger.

"But he was busy," Payal finished.

"Yes."

"And that made you…angry?" Payal prodded.

"I was just disappointed. I thought that-"

"Arnav would drop everything he was doing and go out with you?" Payal asked raising an eyebrow. Khushi nodded sheepishly.

"I know it sounds juvenile but in that moment it was anything but. I just…felt…alone," she said shuffling on her feet. "There were so many things I wanted to tell him and there was so much to share but…I felt…lonely when he refused and even more lonely when he couldn't make it to dinner." Khushi said softly.

Payal sighed and looked at her sister with smile.

"Do you mind if I tell you something?" Payal asked hesitantly. Khushi shook her head vigorously.

"This isn't going to be the last time you have seen a situation like this. It will happen again and again in future with you and Arnav swapping places regularly." Payal said softly walking towards Khushi. Khushi looked at her sister defeated and nodded mutely.

Payal cupped Khushi's face in hers and kissed her forehead gently. Not letting her go, she said, "Happily ever after is an abstract concept which can be attained with tons of happy moments. It would be folly to think amongst those million moments of happiness, there wouldn't be ones filled with remorse and disappointment."

"Are you saying I am wrong to share my happiness with Arnav whenever I wish to?" Khushi asked, gasping for air to avoid sobs to escape.

"No," Payal said removing her hands from Khushi's face and taking her hands instead. "You were simply misguided by impulsive need to transform your happiness to celebration," she replied honestly. "Believe me Khushi, it's a pain to be wife of a man who has so many responsibilities. I know how hard it is for Akash to make up some time for me given how packed his schedules are." Payal reasoned. Khushi bit her lip and nodded her head.

"I may have dragged this…fight…more than necessary," she said. "I will have to fix it this time," Khushi added. "Thanks ji ji," she said and fled from the kitchen to find her husband.

"I thought I may find you in here," Khushi said walking up to Arnav who was in the garden pruning the rose bush. Arnav looked up to see Khushi standing in doorway and leaning against doorjamb.

"I see you have reconsidered your decision not to talk to me," he said snidely. "Must be my lucky day," he jeered for a good measure and went back to pruning.

"Okay, I deserved that," she said walking into the garden area and sat on the sill. There wasn't a need to talk immediately and close the conversation. There wasn't a need to tell him everything that was going on in her mind. They had time.

Yes, they had time. It was something that she had completely forgotten.

She sat there watching him walk around the garden watering the plants with the same care and attention he would talk to anyone he loved. The sincerity he showed in his hobby reflected in all parts of his life. It was his way of life and for several moments, she had forgotten that.

"It's creepy when you are very quiet for a long time," he said standing in front of her after cleaning his hands. She was startled to be brought back to reality but once the words sunk in her fuddled mind, she grinned.

"Freaking you out was one of my game plays," she said seriously. He chuckled softly at that.

"What are you playing at?" He asked sitting next to her on the sill. He knew what she was up to and he was giving her the time and space to explain herself. He could continue to be angry for few more days but the longer they stayed angry at one another, the messier the situation became.  

She didn't answer him immediately. She chewed on her lip and thought for moments. "Sometimes there is an incessant need to share a moment with you and this need surpass social and moral etiquette making me a mere puppet in the hands of this impulsive need." She said as if she was explaining a mathematical paradox. In her mind, it perhaps was a paradox.

"Was it one of those moments?" Arnav asked immediately. She nodded and smiled but didn't turn and look at him. Because she knew that he already was looking at her.

"I don't have any moments like that to call as my own. They are always associated with someone else and I was an extension in that happiness. It may be a small thing to most people you know, including yourself, but for me it was the first step in…life of sorts," Khushi said.

"I am sorry Khushi. I didn't realize-"

"Please don't apologize Arnav. I am sorry that I dragged this on Arnav. I should have talked to you that night instead of giving you a cold shoulder." She said finally turning to look at him. She met with his face looking at her with all the adoration in the world. She couldn't help but smile at him. "I know I preach about talking and communicating yet I was the one who was being…a three year old," she finished. His eyes widened at her words – she had thrown back the same words that he did but the smile on her face placated him.

"I am truly sorry for not explaining to you what I felt Arnav," she said finally looking into his eyes. He shook his head and kissed her forehead.

"We need to come to a sort of agreement," she said getting up. He looked at her startled with the sudden lightening of her tone.

"What kind of agreement?" He asked standing up.

She looped her arm in his and turned them around. "Apparently these things are common in marriages," she said seriously.

"Where did you get that from?" Arnav asked leading them inside the room.

"I got it from a very reliable source," she said seriously.

"Payal and Anjali don't really qualify for reliability," he said cottoning on. She smacked his chest playfully.

"If one of us screws up next time, then the other should….fix it," she said.

"Oh come on, why should I be the one to always fix?" He said in mock annoyance. It took her less than a moment to realize his insinuation.

"Oh please. You screw up loads of times. Unlike you, I am just too nice a person not to take it forward and compromise before it escalates," she said airily.

"You and compromise? Pfft…" He brushed her easily and led her near the wardrobe.

"I always compromise. You are the one who goes about with an ego as big as the planet," she said bitingly.

"You talk as if you don't have an ego," he said locking his arms around her and trapping her between the wardrobe and his body.

"At least my ego fits in an elevator. However your ego will have its very own zip code," she said smiling.

They were both smiling in fact.

"There was another thing I had forgotten," she said locking her arms around his neck.

"And what is that?" He asked her moving in.

"We have time. We have all the time in the world to fight, share moments of happiness or sadness, kiss, study, expand business, meet people, visit new places, make love, some more fights and…" She trailed.

"…and what?" he asked curious.

"And bring in new life," she said looking in his eyes.

"I would definitely like that," he said smiling in content.

He leaned down then, clasping his arms around her waist and she tipped on her feet to meet him half way.

They were together in this.

They would always meet each other half way.

-Mitra thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2
Mark!

This will always be one of my favorites in the romantic genre. The simplicity of the story is astonishing and leaves you craving for their simple life and the grand peace that comes with it.

On second thoughts the issues that come before are anything but simple. ;)

Edited by Lahari. - 11 years ago
ashred12 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
awesome...wish they had shown this in d show...
jojo21 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
This was so very good, I couldn't help but read it all in one sitting.  You made me well up with tears and then smile.  Just all in all a great read!
suma.2911 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
this was a beautiful read :) thank you.. the best part was being able to read everything in one go. Loved the way you have described their emotions. So real and so expressive in your style. 

Nice :))
sherin1689 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
The best ...most realistic stories i have ever read...

plain truth ...plain facts...life is nt just all about happily ever afters...bt one has to go through trouble n fights just to relive the beauty of making up and feeling loved again!!!

Wonderful!! Good job buddy...

looking forward n hopping tht u will write something new which is as wonderful as this one or maybe even better!!

:D