Abla Jeevan hai teri...

bheegi thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
I remember this quote by Maithali Sharan Gupt from my school days:

' Abala jeevan hai teri yahi kahani
aanchal mein Hai doodh aur aankhon mein hai paani' 

Even though this quote is a literary masterpiece, I have never liked it. Born in the 20th century, and now an independent woman in this 21st century, this quote is an insult to a woman like me. I am sure most young girls and women on this forum would agree. Unfortunately, in incredible India, that dreams of becoming a super power one day, the status of girls and women is still represented by this quote. QH has accurately portrayed how women are seen in our society.

Dilshad, Humeira, Shireen, Nikhat, Najma and now Zoya are still 'abala' in the eyes of the society. They are at the mercy of the whims and fancies of the men in the society. Just because they are all physically abala (without strength), they are shown as helpless victims of the rules and physical prowess of men. Even if a man is shown torturing them physically or emotionally, another man is shown rescuing them from their miseries. What happened to the Zoya who had single handedly bashed the gundas at the college? Yes, she was drugged today, but even before the injection, she was shown as a typical heroine screaming for help with feeble efforts to get away. 

I hope in the future episodes they can show all the women stand up, defend themselves and not get bamboozled into doing things against their own desire. 

I feel the only way our society can change this 'abala' mindset is by having stronger women role models for young girls, parents teach their sons to respect women at home and in the society, husbands treat their wives with respect and people have zero tolerance for men who cross their boundaries and force women into subjugation against their will. 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ShellJA thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
It was sad what happened to Zoya today.  How the goons were able to overpower her at the cafe doesn't make any sense.  It is not fair of the CVs to change Zoya's character just because they wanted Asad to recue her.   They could still have stayed in character by showing her fighting for herself before she was drugged.

Very disappointed.
bheegi thumbnail

Originally posted by: Shell16

It was sad what happened to Zoya today.  How the goons were able to overpower her at the cafe doesn't make any sense.  It is not fair of the CVs to change Zoya's character just because they wanted Asad to recue her.   They could still have stayed in character by showing her fighting for herself before she was drugged.

Very disappointed.

Thanks shell...yes, I wish they had shown some fightback by Zoya today. Where was her pepper spray?