Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

*Eva* thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 11 years ago

Originally posted by: sabeeha

:L I'm getting flashbacks of countless posts now. Honestly, I can not begin to describe the sheer amount of times people have highlighted just how great the show *could* have been, had they focused on the cancer like they should of. It's just plain mockery right now, especially the 'this is the ONLY treatment in the WORLD' that could save Mannu. Bad direction, bad writing, bad dialogue, all it adds up to is a half baked pie of a show.

The sometimes dragging, sometimes zooming - giving me a headache :P The whole cancer track - the one single main track of the entire show seems like it's already over when it's just begun, and I blame that on CVs for having such a predictable plot. They really can't get their pacing right at all; it was great to see Manvi and Jeevika finding out about the severity of the cancer quickly, but then the whole Doctor's meeting was skimmed over too quickly.

But anyway, the ethics behind it all is quite fascinating. I think it all depends on, in regards to abortion, on where you personally believe life begins. The anti-abortionists would say conception, the liberals would say when the heart starts beating (40 days isn't it?) and then the pro-choice would say at birth. It's murky waters which can be debated over aeons.

Abortions were all part of my Ethics course which I did when I was fifteen, and to get a class full of fifteen year old boys and girls to shut up, pay attention, and visibly be shaken by what they learn, it takes something big. I remember watching a vid about the suction-aspiration abortion method, and the way that they just pull off the limbs of the foetus, it's horrible to think about. Again, this revolves around whether or not the foetus actually feels pain. The partial-birth one, some kid in my class ended up researching it and mentioning it, we were horrified. Jamming scissors into the base of the neck? It makes you shudder.

:L Controversy.

I honestly couldn't agree more. It's very unfortunate actually. The CVs had evidently planned Manvi's cancer from the very beginning of the show, so you would think that they'd have the time to do plenty of research to get them educated on the issue. The problem with the CVs is that they don't know who and what to prioritize. I'm not going to divulge into the discussion of other fangroups, but being ignorant of the main conflict of the show for the sake of fan requests? Why? My concern is that the CVs can't execute medically factual writing and consistency. The ONLY TREATMENT in the world remark was a total facepalm 😳 Erm, what ever happened to stem cell transportation and immunotherapy? There are quite a few targeted therapies, hormonal therapies and angiogenesis inhibitors around. The 99% success rate talk was a joke. Basically, what the doctor said was that if the cancer patient has a sibling who is willing to donate his/her bone marrow, the patient is guaranteed survival. For real? Why are the writers making it sound so easy? Most of the time, the only dialogue I genuinely enjoy comes from the sisters; the dialogue that tries to suffice Manvi's condition has no logic whatsoever. As for the dragging, oh brother! Dr. Manan revealed the cancer to Beeji in February; it's almost September and we've just reached the BEGINNING of the pivotal point. The pacing has been atrocious (excuse my harshness), to say the least. The cancer was shoved under the carpet during the Maya track, Virat's realization, after Mumbai (the Mumbai track itself was a waste) and then the 7 day track. Together, all of that accumulates to at least 3 months. The constant inconsistencies of this show don't help either. I predicted the BMT track as well, but right now, I'm just intrigued to how everything will play out. I fear for medical science though. The bias in me blatantly knows that I watch for the sisters, but the writing is very crucial; there's no way I can appreciate the show in its entirety if the writing is so shabby. I was disappointed with the build-up to the revelation of the reports to Jeevika along with the revelation itself sadly. It really bothers me how the cancer is fizzled out and then emphasized upon, for the sake of the writers' conveniences.

I won't divulge into the ethics of the abortion issue as we'll be here for hours, but I wholeheartedly agree. More than anything, it's a personal belief (which may be based on religion, science and poltics). I really wish some people could keep personal bias aside for this issue because agreeing/disagreeing about Jeevika's decision on the basis of Jeevika/Manvi/Viren/Virat being your favourite character/jodi/actor/actress wouldn't be ethical IMO.

15?! Wow! That must have been a lot of information to digest at such a tender age! I took an ethics (mainly based around medicine) course during my first year of university followed by a few oncology courses. Personally, I got exposed to many viewpoints, and I was definitely seeing the world from different pairs of eyes. Oh goodness, it's such a harsh thing to think about right? Fetuses feeling pain is another issue with contrasting perspectives. There's no confirmed answer, but most studies are saying that they can feel pain after certain growth. The amount of growth needed is debated on frequently though.          
delete1234 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: -Pj-

Your still in 6th form. Good luck for next year and hope your AS went well. Oh I didn't doPhilosophy, Theology and Ethics but I wish I did I would have really enjoyed that.

I went to a Catholic university so many of the schools I taught it during school experiences where in Catholic schools. I was teaching RE, in a year six class- gosh that was hard but I learnt more than the children I was teaching. Honestly I really enjoyed the Catholic schools.

Luckily for me there are no Chavs currently on my street, but they come during the day.

I know this subject is sensitivity all around the world for ethics and religion but one should think about that before, they tease the possibility. The way in which they have handled cancer is disgraceful. If I didn't like Jeevika and Maanvi so much, I would have stopped watching completely when they began this mockery.

Lmao, oh I loved that ^. It's like their some sort of rabid breed of human-animal hybrids.

Yeah, less time spent wallowing in self pity over bad AS grades, the better :P Yeah PTE is quite fascinating but we're always having the Christian pov smashed down our throats all the time so it gets quite mundane.

It's surprising just the amount of religion in general you find in RC schools. We used to have to go to mass every first Friday of each month. :L I probably know more about Christianity than the majority of so called 'Christians'. So you're a teacher like our Jeevika, pre-marriage :P

I'm the same too. The characters are just too precious to let go of. Jeevika and Manvi are the embodiment of sisterly love, they just draw you in. The writers have been quite lucky so far as Krystle and Nia's chemistry has over-ridden the shoddy scripts as of late. In truth, I haven't even watched yesterday's or today's epi's yet but from the amount of comments about Jeevika's dialogues today, seems like a must :)
*Eva* thumbnail

Originally posted by: EHMMBH-lover

Hey Eva! Cakes!! Remember? 😈

Krisha!!! Hello hello!! 🤗 CAKES?! What are you talking about it, dude?! *hides under the bed* 🤔 🤣

@Nehapie: Have a great night ji!!! Sweet dreams...sleep well...lots of love!!! ❤️ Will definitely be waiting <3

Off for a little bit...hope everyone's still here though! :D
Edited by *Eva* - 11 years ago
-Sara. thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
I'm enjoying reading your comments Pooja,Eva and sabeeha. I'm learning a lot! :)
-Pj- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
There is a lot of religion in RC schools. It's 10% of their timetable for simply RE, that's not including Gospels or Masses to attended. The schools I was in didn't have mass once a month, just on major occasions. Like Christmas, Easter, end of year, May procession etc. However it is depended on your teacher, if they are religious then some things just come out naturally at any point.

Honestly only practicing Christians know about their faith. Others are simply born in and don't know mulch about it and some enjoy not even acknowledging it.

Yes I am a teacher like Jeevika and it is pre-marriage but I won't give up after marriage like she did. One part of the show I also dislike. (Not going to start that rant now) Edited by -Pj- - 11 years ago
-Sara. thumbnail
Pooja, keep being a teacher.
I wish I was one of your students! I'm learning a lot from you here!

delete1234 thumbnail

Originally posted by: *Eva*

I honestly couldn't agree more. It's very unfortunate actually. The CVs had evidently planned Manvi's cancer from the very beginning of the show, so you would think that they'd have the time to do plenty of research to get them educated on the issue. The problem with the CVs is that they don't know who and what to prioritize. I'm not going to divulge into the discussion of other fangroups, but being ignorant of the main conflict of the show for the sake of fan requests? Why? My concern is that the CVs can't execute medically factual writing and consistency. The ONLY TREATMENT in the world remark was a total facepalm 😳 Erm, what ever happened to stem cell transportation and immunotherapy? There are quite a few targeted therapies, hormonal therapies and angiogenesis inhibitors around. The 99% success rate talk was a joke. Basically, what the doctor said was that if the cancer patient has a sibling who is willing to donate his/her bone marrow, the patient is guaranteed survival. For real? Why are the writers making it sound so easy? Most of the time, the only dialogue I genuinely enjoy comes from the sisters; the dialogue that tries to suffice Manvi's condition has no logic whatsoever. As for the dragging, oh brother! Dr. Manan revealed the cancer to Beeji in February; it's almost September and we've just reached the BEGINNING of the pivotal point. The pacing has been atrocious (excuse my harshness), to say the least. The cancer was shoved under the carpet during the Maya track, Virat's realization, after Mumbai (the Mumbai track itself was a waste) and then the 7 day track. Together, all of that accumulates to at least 3 months. The constant inconsistencies of this show don't help either. I predicted the BMT track as well, but right now, I'm just intrigued to how everything will play out. I fear for medical science though. The bias in me blatantly knows that I watch for the sisters, but the writing is very crucial; there's no way I can appreciate the show in its entirety if the writing is so shabby. I was disappointed with the build-up to the revelation of the reports to Jeevika along with the revelation itself sadly. It really bothers me how the cancer is fizzled out and then emphasized upon, for the sake of the writers' conveniences.

I won't divulge into the ethics of the abortion issue as we'll be here for hours, but I wholeheartedly agree. More than anything, it's a personal belief (which may be based on religion, science and poltics). I really wish some people could keep personal bias aside for this issue because agreeing/disagreeing about Jeevika's decision on the basis of Jeevika/Manvi/Viren/Virat being your favourite character/jodi/actor/actress wouldn't be ethical IMO.

15?! Wow! That must have been a lot of information to digest at such a tender age! I took an ethics (mainly based around medicine) course during my first year of university followed by a few oncology courses. Personally, I got exposed to many viewpoints, and I was definitely seeing the world from different pairs of eyes. Oh goodness, it's such a harsh thing to think about right? Fetuses feeling pain is another issue with contrasting perspectives. There's no confirmed answer, but most studies are saying that they can feel pain after certain growth. The amount of growth needed is debated on frequently though.          

Reema once said a WHILE back that the original storyboard for the show meant the cancer revelation happening virtually straight after the wedding. But then began the fan wars, and the fan demands, and the internet deewani's which culminated in the honeymoon track, Maya, and the accident track. So basically a waste of about three months, which in the long run has made the whole timeline of the show go awry.

On top of that, Jeevika has been married for about a year and a half, meaning it's been nearly two years since the show *started*. Manvi's had cancer for nearly two years, and by Dr. Mehra's own admission, she's only had THREE chemo sessions? And then he goes on to say that chemo won't work for Manvi any more. (Obviously it won't, if you're going to have EIGHT month gaps between each session :S) The Thursday dialogue just adds to it all and it's like, what the hell are you doing?

You've done a course in Oncology so you'll be aware of the different treatments associated with chronic leukaemia, and there are a few. What was the need to try and simplify it down to BMT? All it's done in complicate it in the long run, especially as the cancer's just going to get more advanced from now on.

The sisters dialogue is the only thing that tends to make sense in the episodes, but even the promo dialogue for the Roka was very had to ingest. The more involved cancer is getting in the story, it seems the effect of the emotional scenes are diminishing. Maybe the writers have took the trivialising a bit too far.

This constant dragging and speeding cycle in getting quite annoying and disorientating. Cancer's only been given centre stage now, nearly a year after the shows began. And at the speed they're going with it, you can't help but feel, once this cancer *issue* is over and done with, what next? What else can they possibly show to enhance the Ek Hazaaron Mein relationship, unless the story turns into half churned goo.

Oh, don't expect relevant and rational answers from biased fans. The last couple of weeks of forum hell; felt like the fan wars were breaking out again between insecure fan groups. Yeesh. Ethics is deffo an interesting topic, for sure. We were quite young when we had the graphic and slightly obscene smashed into our faces but it helps in understanding on how these issues actually work. There's no right or wrong answer.

My teacher actually once told me off a report where an expecting mother was having an amniocentesis procedure. She wasn't more than four months, and the foetus inside outstretched its hands when the needle was plunged in, only to retreat into the tight foetal position because it had felt the sharp prick of the needle. That foetus retracted because it felt pain, their are people having abortions more than four months in and it's like, where exactly does this start and that finish.
delete1234 thumbnail

Originally posted by: -Pj-

There is a lot of religion in RC schools. It's 10% of their timetable for simply RE, that's not including Gospels or Masses to attended. The schools I was in different have mass once a month, just on major occasions. Like for Christmas, Easter, end of year, May procession etc. However it is depended on your teacher, if they are religious then some things just come out naturally at any point.

Honestly only practicing Christians know about their faith. Others are simply born in and don't know mulch about it and sine enjoy not even acknowledging it.

Yes I am a teacher like Jeecika and it is pre-marriage but I won't give up after marriage like she did. One part of the show I also dislike. (Not going to start that rant now)

Oh May Day, I remember that *childhood memories flashing by*, the flowers laid out on the alter for Mary... I don't care what people think about Catholics, they're quite fun :P

You seem like a great teacher Pooja :) :L This day and age, what is the need to give up your career? Another stupid aspect of the show ROFL, the 'our daughter is the FIRST girl from the community to become a teacher', and where is she now? Folding clothes for a living as the wife of a certain Mr. Viren Vadhera - you know, that really is a purposeful and meaningful life you want to live.

Your best friends = the washing machine, Lenor, a bit of Daz, Surf, Ariel, Persil etc...
-Sara. thumbnail
Sabeeha! 😆
They should make you the show's writer!
*Eva* thumbnail

Originally posted by: sabeeha

Reema once said a WHILE back that the original storyboard for the show meant the cancer revelation happening virtually straight after the wedding. But then began the fan wars, and the fan demands, and the internet deewani's which culminated in the honeymoon track, Maya, and the accident track. So basically a waste of about three months, which in the long run has made the whole timeline of the show go awry.

On top of that, Jeevika has been married for about a year and a half, meaning it's been nearly two years since the show *started*. Manvi's had cancer for nearly two years, and by Dr. Mehra's own admission, she's only had THREE chemo sessions? And then he goes on to say that chemo won't work for Manvi any more. (Obviously it won't, if you're going to have EIGHT month gaps between each session :S) The Thursday dialogue just adds to it all and it's like, what the hell are you doing?

You've done a course in Oncology so you'll be aware of the different treatments associated with chronic leukaemia, and there are a few. What was the need to try and simplify it down to BMT? All it's done in complicate it in the long run, especially as the cancer's just going to get more advanced from now on.

The sisters dialogue is the only thing that tends to make sense in the episodes, but even the promo dialogue for the Roka was very had to ingest. The more involved cancer is getting in the story, it seems the effect of the emotional scenes are diminishing. Maybe the writers have took the trivialising a bit too far.

This constant dragging and speeding cycle in getting quite annoying and disorientating. Cancer's only been given centre stage now, nearly a year after the shows began. And at the speed they're going with it, you can't help but feel, once this cancer *issue* is over and done with, what next? What else can they possibly show to enhance the Ek Hazaaron Mein relationship, unless the story turns into half churned goo.

Oh, don't expect relevant and rational answers from biased fans. The last couple of weeks of forum hell; felt like the fan wars were breaking out again between insecure fan groups. Yeesh. Ethics is deffo an interesting topic, for sure. We were quite young when we had the graphic and slightly obscene smashed into our faces but it helps in understanding on how these issues actually work. There's no right or wrong answer.

My teacher actually once told me off a report where an expecting mother was having an amniocentesis procedure. She wasn't more than four months, and the foetus inside outstretched its hands when the needle was plunged in, only to retreat into the tight foetal position because it had felt the sharp prick of the needle. That foetus retracted because it felt pain, their are people having abortions more than four months in and it's like, where exactly does this start and that finish.

Yes, I heard that too! I can't even wrap my finger around that, to be honest; it baffles me. How in the world did they manage to waste so much time? All of those tracks were so prodigal along with being poorly developed to the T, although the aftermath of the accident was quite entertaining. The redundant fan demands are expected, considering this show has two popular couples (well, three including JM 😉); the shocking component arises from the fact that the creatives actually incorporated all these demands, even though there was no relevance whatsoever for most of the scenes. June and July were primarily wasted due to the writers' dependence on biased fans/the lack of originality in the their thinking. August has been a relatively good month for the show in that sense (most likely because the official EHM Facebook group is no longer active). Good riddance!

ROFL =)) The writers' justification of the supposed time length that has passed is laughable. THREE chemo sessions in TWO years? It's like they're spitting on the importance and assistance of chemotherapy! The moral of the story is that heartbreak, romancing 24/7 and impressing people like Swamini bua should be much higher on the priority list instead of caring for a cancer patient and being proactive about treatments. Hallelujah! I was thankful that the writers finally decided that showing Manvi to a doctor held some significance, until the actual scene itself (other than my affinity for Jeevika's filmy moment with the flashbacks). As much as I appreicate Dr. Mehra'/Mihir's acting, his dialogues were OUTRAGEOUS. I honestly couldn't believe what I was hearing. The fact that they're mixing abortion with their ill treatment of cancer now scares the daylights out of me. 😳  

Ironically, I was just discussing this with a friend the other day. The "only treatment" with "99 percent success rate"...doctor, where did you receive your license from? The BMT process definitely offers the most drama in the long-run along with glorifying Jeevika's love for Manvi, but is it ethical? I already think that Jeevika and Manvi define true love (excuse my cheesiness) but I know that they're ridiculed a lot. Why put Jeevika in such a harsh situation to prove that she's the number 1 sister? In my eyes, she's already number 1 along with Manvi; there are so many examples! Unfortunately, the female leads of all shows are always put into such extreme circumstances to show how "mahaan" they are; although I do believe that Jeevika is a very different character (definitely for the better) from all the regressive TV bahus. I love how she's always discussed and how she brings the heat she brings to the Vadhera family and this forum 😛 I don't even want to think about the aftermath of the cancer track, to be honest. I'm cringing at the very thought of Jeevika and Manvi becoming the typical devrani-jethani and Swamini pushing tribulations towards them 😳 As much as I love watching the sisters and their beautiful relationship, I genuinely hope that EHM ends before the writers show their wrath and drag the insubstantial story like gum.

Ah, the fan wars with sluggish arguments like "you're just jealous" and "haters will be haters." I don't expect those to ever end, so I try my best to stay in the AT in order to keep my sanity. 😛 I totally concur with your viewpoint on ethics. I found the course a great balance between science and personal beliefs/religion/medical science. I think indulging in the discussions made me more tolerant, although it's not like math class where you can dwell in the glory of being correct.

Really? That's a very engaging experience, I must say! I did a small amount of research on fetus reflexes and there are so many different studies that point to different results. The average range seems to be from 18 weeks to 40 weeks (quite a stretched range). Abortion more than 16 weeks in? That's leaning towards the edge of the recommended (and legal) boundaries, but along with that, it seems more emotionally draining compared to an earlier abortion (spontaneous abortions the most, though).      

Apologies for the late reply!
Edited by *Eva* - 11 years ago