Daadi - a strong character in IPK. Edit - Page 9

sree07 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 11 years ago
Edit 11-August-2012

Edit:- (8-Aug-2012)

Ok I have read few amazing replies for this post reg naani and khushi being strong contesters for the award for most strong female character of IPK.  Replying in general. 

Naani - I agree that Naani has a perseverance to hold on to what's in hand. She does not leave anything in between and try to restore life back to normal. We have seen that trait during shyamu's ousting from RM and we can infer it from the 'haadsa' after effects. After reading couple of posts I have a heightened respect level for naani now. 

Khushi - It takes courage to smile even after the most depressing moments of your life. I do not disagree there. Its one of the reasons I watch the show. 
But what I meant is she lacks the basic survival instinct i.e. a tiny iota love for herself. She is always a kid and will always be. With tiny eccentricities and lots of cuteness and pagalpan. Its the beauty of her character. But never a person with deep thoughts. Her thought process never ran deep it always depends on the people around her. A true out and out extrovert may be. She is empathetic towards people and the most good natured soul in IPK.πŸ€— and i love her to bits.😳

Having said that neither of them can claim the strong female character trophy of IPK IMO. 

Khushi has lots of spunk but to confirm to the norm of 'heroines', she is a pre designed damsel in distress at times who is stripped to the max to increase the level of drama and to be saved by the hero at the nick of times. Does that make her a strong character in IPK? No!

Naani - As I said,  in earlier episodes she come across as a matriarch who has an authority over the family. But as the story progressed she was diluted high time. The strength of the character was not highlighted at all and she was pushed behind the scenes as one of the side roles. Her character neither invokes respect nor a sense of disciple. One of those side characters. See the way she panicked and ran behind arnav when Daadi went missing. (Its one of the examples). Reliability is less. 

Now daadi, comes with a my way or high way attitude. Well what I could read is she is a woman of depth. She is a grey character with definite traits of selfishness and insecurities. I do not deny that. And there are oodles of arrogance and ego. 

If you agree that ASR is the strongest male character in IPK, you may have to ponder why Daadi can not be the strongest female character in IPK. She comes with a no-nonsense tag and I do not see her bowing down meekly in front of even the mighty ASR without giving a fight unlike the first two. Reliability is high. 

See Anjali asked naani "whats the truth" and asked daadi "sab kuch tik kardo". She knows who is the comforter and who is the fixer.

May be my definition of strong woman involves mainly two traits as i highlighted in the main post. confidence, authority and sure of what she is. But I still stick to 'Daadi - The strongest character of IPK' stand. 

You may differ in your views and your definition of strong female character. I would love to hear new POVs. Do share what you think.

❀️

Old post on 8th august 2012

This is what IPK always lacked. A strong female character!

Khushi - (How much ever I love her I have to write this) lacks even the basic instincts of survival and lives mainly for Di and arnav. Poor girl haven't even heard about a thing called self respect.
Payal - Doormat no:1. No further comments.
Maami - Kabhi idhar kabhi udhar. I have not figured out what shade you are. kanfusionwa.
Anjali - Less said the better.
Naani - In the initial episodes was established as a strong matriarchal head but later diluted to oo la la and chikni chameli.
Buaji - Haire nandakishore! Senior khushi.
Garima - I like her, but less screen time and never established as a strong character except for the first few episodes.

Among this hoi polloi, Who is your pick? Which one you would love to identify with? About whom you feel proud as a woman?  Confused? You have one more option now. 

Here you go, Subhadra Devi Malik

I hated that lady to the core yesterday. I do not mind a typical saas but CVs should have been a bit more careful white treating issues like untouchability. Instead of portraying arrogance and lordliness of Maliks, they ended up showing an uncouth and uncivilized woman IMO.

Today...Hoila πŸ˜²
What do we get? A lady ASR? I had goosebumps while watching the Daadi - Naani convo. I was whistling slightly during the ASR - Daadi convo. πŸ˜

Did you see the undetered confidence in her eyes? 
While Naani and Arnav was questioning her authority over Anjali and Arnav, did you see she never even flinched a litle! What a authority she has. It is the stance of a woman who knows who she is and who is so sure of herself. Neither does she cower at the accusations nor leaves any opportunity to strike back.πŸ‘

Earlier episodes, Naani used to be the one who used to be at loggerheads with Arnav. Now Feels like its daadi's turn. I do not mind. Daadi is a perfect match for Arnav. Finally I see a balanced equation in IPK, both arrogant headstrong and egoistic people. Would be fun to watch the battle i guess. Arnav Vs Naani is gonna be fun. 

Swati Chitnis - Must say you have a towering screen presence (despite having arnav in the scene) and In the second episode itself you are matching BS in everyway?😲 Looking forward to more of you.πŸ‘

Let her be any shade grey dark..green blue. But I am impressed by this lady. She is someone who shows of her attitude in style. Lady ASR. Welcome to IPK. I wish you stay longer and forever in IPK. I also wish CVs do not dilute you to another jilebi bhai. I would love to hate you more.

Khushi baby - Doncha worry, Stay put. Its not your battle. So don't start with daadi wooing track. You will end up in soup. She is just not your cup of tea. Its arnav's hot cup of coffee.  Hugs πŸ€—

Edit

Lots of interesting replies below. You may want to check out the other side of the coin as well.

I think I was considering only the authoritative aspect of the character. Check out the below post, It explains Naani's character beautifully. 

https://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3136183&PID=62531910&#62531910

Originally posted by: memyselfandrshi

Nice post...Swati Chitnis is wonderful, have always liked her. Seen her time and again in stage plays and her presence is capturing.

Coming to ur post. I have to disagree (well not really) abt Nani. What I mean is just want to point a few things out. I think Nani is also a very confident woman but she is not dominating. I think both Devayani and Subhadra devi are confident women. But I feel Nani is more confident than Dadi. Let me explain y . If u for a minute keep aside the body language and look at actions u will see that when the ride was riddled with bumps, jerks and nasty surprises dadi got off the boat. She left two kids Arnav and anjali and left to deal with her sorrows but Nani who also had lost a daughter stood firm on her feet and to support her grandchildren. She did not chose to escape she stood there with them through heart break, sorrow  to give these two a life inspite of her daugthers death. That shows a strong woman she would not have been able to so if she lacked confidence.

In dadi nani convo I liked Nani today not bcos she sided with Arshi but bcos she was looking at a situation in totality. When needed she did not back of from showing a formidable opponent like dadi that she was wrong. 

Her subtle manner and body language to me conveyed a woman who has stood the test of time and knows what it takes to keep a family together.

On the other hand dadi seemed more like my way or the high way person. She would not have it in her too look at all family members accept their faults yet hold them together.

again I am learning a lot from this thread.
Another reply which I loved

Originally posted by: ipkknd37

Hi Sree, nice post. πŸ‘. Just wanna share my tupence worth πŸ˜‰. Agree with u that Dadi is feminine version of ASR. So yeah birds of same feather. But me thinks both are arrogant for sure, but weak. As  memyselfandrshi said in her post, Dadi ran when all hell broke loose unlike Nani. My POV is most weak people put up a facade of arrogance/attitude. Some put up a brave front cos they r afraid of getting hurt. Those who r insecure also put up arrogant front so they feel a feared and revered and respected. Probably they think/know they cannot handle adverse situations. Hence they hide behind an armor of attitude/arrogance/stricture lest people find out about their fears.To me Dadi is not so strong woman just a dominating one. Her kinda dominance is not strength, again just my POV.😊 

PS: For me Khushi is a strong woman cos she knows her weakness as well and is neither afraid to acknowledge it nor let others know. She is afraid of the dark but still venture into it if & when the need arises. Because lot of us, me included cannae be selfless like Khushi, we misunderstand that she does not have self respect. Though she could have let ASR pay off GH rent, she did not. She wanted to earn it and she did that with all her nautanki πŸ˜‰. 

PSS:OF all the women in RM/GH, I think Khusi's survival instinct is the strongest. I cannae see or imagine any1 go thru what she has been through since childhood and still smile. Survival does not mean u forget to smile or be happy or selfless or be yourself. It is going through hell and back and still, not loose one's self...ab BAS kuch zyada hi likh diya πŸ˜‰. aur gyaan mujhse hi saha nahi jaataπŸ˜†

Edited by sree07 - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

pieryrose thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 8
dadi: the new hitler of RM now!!! must say, this lady really get on my nerves!!! 
sree07 thumbnail

Originally posted by: pieryrose

dadi: the new hitler of RM now!!! must say, this lady really get on my nerves!!! 

Am I the only one who is impressed by her?πŸ˜†
abhi_arshilover thumbnail
Agree with u. She is the lady ASR. May be this attitude was came from her genes only!
lovely thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
I have seen swati chitnis act before so when I read she is going to be Arnav's Dadi I was happy. She is a wonderful actress.

It's going to be fun to watch Arnav-Dadi scenes.
OmNaMaSteOm thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
i liked the way she has the authority of questioning ASR
apart from that nothing

sree07 thumbnail

Originally posted by: abhi_arshilover

Agree with u. She is the lady ASR. May be this attitude was came from her genes only!

ya..same as old ASR but even tougher version.
I am gonna love the fights between arnav and daadi.
sree07 thumbnail

Originally posted by: lovely

I have seen swati chitnis act before so when I read she is going to be Arnav's Dadi I was happy. She is a wonderful actress.

It's going to be fun to watch Arnav-Dadi scenes.

I have not seen any of her other serials before. In IPK she got a awesome start and I liked her today.
Yesterday the thing went a little overboard with creepy servant act.

But today. She was impressive.
sree07 thumbnail

I love to hate her...So no worries we are in the same boat. 
Sree,
  Ah Haa. So now the DP is Daadi.. Daamp club you said. Still is it on!!! Or do we need to change !! What a character I say Daadi is.. I honestly am Fida Fida Fida over her.. See when Shyam our Rock star returns.. I will have tough choice to make between Daadi, NK and Shyamva.. Bitiya rani is serious again. hmm... Kuch kareki padi.. HOw abt sending them on honey moon Huh!! πŸ˜‰