aris22l thumbnail
20th Anniversary Thumbnail Voyager Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
#1
Just felt like making this post as the incident I am going to tell reminds me of what has happened with our favorite show Saathiya. Some members may not like this post, but my purpose is only to show that when you believe in something and fight for it, you can achieve it. A fight is lost even before it begins when people don't believe they can ever win or when they don't believe their end goal is worthy of a fight. I posted this story in one of Abbay's threads. At the time, I didn't know what the result of this fight was going to be, but I do now.
I have been following a story unfolding at University of Virginia which has been #1 public University (meaning most of its funding comes from tax payers) in the U.S. for several years where on June 10, the popular Univ. President Teresa Sullivan was forced out during a closed-door session of the Board of Visitors (spearheaded by Helen Dragas) in which no official vote was taken. The ouster triggered days of online protests, large protests on the campus, and calls by deans, faculty, students and alumni for Sullivan's return. The university rebelled against this coup fiercely and swiftly when the Provost threatened to resign, the Faculty Senate passed a vote of no confidence in the board, and the school's student-run honor committee accused the board of compromising the school's "community of trust". Much of the furor was fueled by the board's continued refusal to publicly explain why its members felt Sullivan had fallen short. Even the governer of Virginia threatened to fire the entire board if the matter wasn't resolved. Many of the University donors threatened to stop making donations.

The 15-member board met again yesterday and voted unanimously (including Dragas who headed the effort to remove the President) to reinstate Sullivan. Several of my family members are alumnis UVA. They received letters from Dragas explaining her reasons for what she did and personally apologizing for the incident and the way she handled it.

Sorry, you may find this post long and boring, but what I am trying to say is people have power. If they unite, they can do anything. Someone has said people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can't find them, make them.

Created

Last reply

Replies

33

Views

3k

Users

9

Likes

136

Frequent Posters

SIP1997 thumbnail
16th Anniversary Thumbnail Sparkler Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 14 years ago
#2
This is a wonderful story Aris and I have been following it myself since I also have friends and relatives who are associated with the school.

And yeah you are right about standing together and fighting for what we believe in, but different people and different thoughts I guess.

I have no previous experience with show's lead being replaced as SNS is the first show I have ever followed for this long and was really sad that they replaced Giaa, but my thoughts ran along the fact that would they really listen to the audience?

I am not sure what to think anymore, and the other is we really don't know the whole story behind this, I can say one thing though, I don't enjoy the show like I did before and wished that it would change, but I have really lost all hope for it.


aris22l thumbnail
20th Anniversary Thumbnail Voyager Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
#3

Originally posted by: sbp1971

This is a wonderful story Aris and I have been following it myself since I also have friends and relatives who are associated with the school.

And yeah you are right about standing together and fighting for what we believe in, but different people and different thoughts I guess.

I have no previous experience with show's lead being replaced as SNS is the first show I have ever followed for this long and was really sad that they replaced Giaa, but my thoughts ran along the fact that would they really listen to the audience?

I am not sure what to think anymore, and the other is we really don't know the whole story behind this, I can say one thing though, I don't enjoy the show like I did before and wished that it would change, but I have really lost all hope for it.

I understand where you are coming from, Shilpa. You are absolutely right we don't know the whole story and Giaa may never come back. I do think SP and PH handles this very poorly and arrogantly by making the replacement overnight and taking their viewers for granted. I know though while in some shows, the PH's and channels have caved under viewers' demands, in other cases, they didn't.
The only reason I made this post is to say that if you believe in what you are doing, you should not give up without a fight. It doesn't have to be a fight for Giaa. It can be any fight in your everyday life. That's the reason I didn't say that this post is for Giaa fans only. Even if you lose, it makes you stronger and wiser.
Just curious, are you from Virginia?
SIP1997 thumbnail
16th Anniversary Thumbnail Sparkler Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 14 years ago
#4
No actually I am from New Jersey, but my aunt lives in Virginia Beach, VA, so I have been there many times.

Yes this example will come useful in the future for many things, and it actually made me think about my current work situation that we are going through.

Thanks, I guess I am so tuned into the whole Giaa thing I didn't even think about the other thing.
A2ZVictory thumbnail
15th Anniversary Thumbnail Dazzler Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
#5
Thanks for sharing this incident, Aris.
The power of people cannot be ignored. There will be obstaces, but if you believe in something ONE SHOULD NOT GIVE UP.
ShaunSA thumbnail
15th Anniversary Thumbnail Rocker Thumbnail Engager Level 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
#6
Cool OP Aris.

I have seen this kind of thing happen in SA as well. Well it must happen all over the world actually. People are becoming more savvy and fighting for their rights... and a large part of it is due to the internet. It's easier to communicate and knowledge is not hidden in the hands of a few.

And whilst I think this does also relate in the Giaa issue some points to note are.

All the facts are not known here. And to go around shooting in the dark risks hurting innocent parties.

Any campaign must be run along the right lines. With coolness and thought and reasonability behind every action. To do so otherwise risks jeopardising your campaign and alienating the very people whose support you either want or need. So whilst one may think with your heart, you must act with your head.

And to put it simply... never cut your nose off to spite your face.


Edited by ShaunSA - 14 years ago
5cents thumbnail
20th Anniversary Thumbnail Rocker Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 14 years ago
#7

Originally posted by: ShaunSA

Cool OP Aris.


I have seen this kind of thing happen in SA as well. Well it must happen all over the world actually. People are becoming more savvy and fighting for their rights... and a large part of it is due to the internet. It's easier to communicate and knowledge is not hidden in the hands of a few.

And whilst I think this does also relate in the Giaa issue some points to note are.

All the facts are not known here. And to go around shooting in the dark risks hurting innocent parties.

Any campaign must be run along the right lines. With coolness and thought and reasonability behind every action. To do so otherwise risks jeopardising your campaign and alienating the very people whose support you either want or need. So whilst one may think with your heart, you must act with your head.

And to put it simply... never cut your nose off to spite your face.




Shaun, I completely agree with you that all facts are not known here. All campaigns must run along the right lines. All Giaa fans are still shocked and are in a emotional state...I completely sympathies with them. In the past 2 + years they rode a historic wave of momentum😉. But momentum is a fickle thing. The mob can both pay off and rob, after all😛

Aris, It is not the power of people fighting for a cause in Giaa's case ...her sudden departure from SNS zone has shocked her fans period. We humans are prisoners of the moment, entranced by the spectacle and attractiveness of our beloved HERO.
It's of course "cool" to support our HERO/ Heroine but with right facts & figures.
.
Xarina thumbnail
14th Anniversary Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 14 years ago
#8
People power can work, Aris. Look back at the Civil Rights Movement in America during the sixties, the work of the ANC and others in South Africa. Granted it benefitted the masses but it was set off by an individual-Rosa Parks, Dr Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela. Enough people need to believe and have faith and conviction to see it through.
navyab thumbnail
14th Anniversary Thumbnail Rocker Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
#9
Aris...Thank you for making this post because it helped me put the points which I was thinking in a focused manner.
Is it not the power of people that bought freedom for so many countries around the world. Did all the people in the respective countries believe them. No they were people who supported the cause, they were people who did not support the cause & stayed indifferent, they were people who mocked people putting in efforts for they felt the goal they were aiming had no direction. But yet the people who believed, did whatever they could in reaching those goals. Some were leaders, some were followers, some could do multiple things like lead protests, gather people, motivate people yet they were some who all they could do is stich a flag or stand on the road where the protest was going to show their support.
Did all the countries receive their freedom the 1st time they tried to rebel? No. The opposition made it impossible because they were powerful, because they had resources, because they could crush people who rebelled against them. But yet the people who believed made multiple attempts, survived worst senarios, lived against people who did not believe them & thats when they received their freedom.
The opposition how ever strong it was, the day it forgot about the people whom it was ruling, the day it thought only about their own selves, the day it pushed policies on the people, that was the day the opposition was bought down by the power of people.
Well why did I bring this example is to say, STAR PLUS has / is strong, is the lead among the entertainment channels. Yet today we see that they are losing out on TRPs of some of the serials which were on the top, they have come close to the striking range of losing out the top position to its rival Colours on GRPs, the top position which was way above has now come where in a few changes by the other channel , can topple its position all together.
Did a Gia do it, Did a JDJ do it, Did a colours do it...No. STAR has bought the starting of its own downfall because it stopped caring for the people who actually put it in the top position.
Well STAR did take into account that the change in the lead will bring down the TRPs in SNS, because the day it changed, it bought out tracks of confession & love to hold onto the viewers. It knew that people will not like the change but what they did not take into account is that people did not like the change but actually felt Deceived by STAR by changing the lead & then bringing on tracks which they were waiting for 2+ yrs with the new lead. They did know that the TRPs will comedown, but they did not expect that it will comedown below 3 because even during IPL which was in a fullswing did the TRPs not come to this low !!!
The way STAR handled Gia's situation & how it replaced her overnight & then hoping CINTAA issue against her has actually left a bitter taste in the mouth of the viewers. Forcing someone else on as the new Gopi on the viewers showed that STAR cared none about the sensebilities of the viewers who actually are the ones who had made it the lead channel with high TRPs & GCEs.
The viewers rebelled against STAR not only against SNS but infact against the entire channel. Some are leading a protest, some have stopped watching the serials on STAR, some have become indifferent, some are still with them. Hence we see that no.s for star are decreasing. Will this ensure Gia is back, no one knows but onething is for sure , STAR has lost the premium viewership, the people power which backed it .
Gia has moved to JDJ, viewers have moved to other channels, Rival Channel is ensuring all its serials in the premium timeslot are doing good to ensure it is in the striking range of becoming the lead Channel. Who has lost, it is the STAR, as of now it is only 1 week data we are seeing, but as far as I understand this is a trend downwards. STAR was the one who had made a 7PM slot as a premium slot, till then none bothered about this slot but now it has itself lost the advantage all over.
My further take is Star cannot & will not want to see its downfall, so it will observe this current track & see if it will change its fortunes, if it does not, then I will not be suprised to see it making overtunes to Gia to comeback on to the show. But will time support STAR when it makes that decision is what, we , I will wait & watch because by then it would have lost the top advantage it has as viewers / people would have moved on !!!
aris22l thumbnail
20th Anniversary Thumbnail Voyager Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
#10

Originally posted by: ShaunSA

Cool OP Aris.


I have seen this kind of thing happen in SA as well. Well it must happen all over the world actually. People are becoming more savvy and fighting for their rights... and a large part of it is due to the internet. It's easier to communicate and knowledge is not hidden in the hands of a few.

And whilst I think this does also relate in the Giaa issue some points to note are.

All the facts are not known here. And to go around shooting in the dark risks hurting innocent parties.

Any campaign must be run along the right lines. With coolness and thought and reasonability behind every action. To do so otherwise risks jeopardising your campaign and alienating the very people whose support you either want or need. So whilst one may think with your heart, you must act with your head.

And to put it simply... never cut your nose off to spite your face.


Shaun, the Univ of Va set precedence in bringing back their President. She didn't have 100% support for her leadership, but she had 100% support in people agreeing that the way she was ousted was wrong. When you do things behind closed door and not level with people, it insults them into rising against you. The univ board forced Sullivan to resign in a day and never revealed the reason for it. Sullivan may have been the worst President in the history, but with this shady action of hers, Dragas (the rector of the board) was bound to fall flat on her face. After the furor, Dragas released a long explanation for why Sullivan was fired, but by then, it was too late. At the time, the protests started, almost everyone said, nothing is going to happen. The President will never come back and look, what happened.

I am not defending Giaa. She may be responsible for this whole fiasco. She may be the worst kind of actress, greedy and opportunist. I am questioning how SP and the PH handled the whole thing. Couldn't they have made statements to prepare the viewers for her ousting? Couldn't they have been more open when they made the decision days before the replacement. In her apologetic email to the UVA alumnis, Dragas defended her decision by saying, "we did the right thing, the wrong way." But nobody was listening. Now, Dragas's position may be in jeopardy.

Related Topics

Top

Stay Connected with IndiaForums!

Be the first to know about the latest news, updates, and exclusive content.

Add to Home Screen!

Install this web app on your iPhone for the best experience. It's easy, just tap and then "Add to Home Screen".