Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Qwest thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Zubin GargZubin Garg News :

Zubeen croons another rocking number!

Tanuja Chandra's next directorial 'Zindaggi Rocks' starring Sushmita Sen and Shiney Ahuja is produced by B.A.G Films and has music by Anu Malik. As Sushmita plays a singer in the film, four songs featuring her have fallen in the kitty of Sunidhi Chauhan. Another song has been added now to the soundtrack to be rendered by Zubeen Garg and Tulsi Kumar. It is a fast and pappy number with lots of good rhythm, pace and energy. It is a groovy number with a mix of emotions and romance. Lyrics are by Mudassar Ali.

Actress Tanishta Chatterjee on Zubeen

Well Zubin is fantastic in this film. I am a fan of him from a very long time. His music has a spiritual undertone. I think Assamese folk tune has a very unique quality. It goes very well with the film. It's just beautiful. My favorite song is called 'Om' but it has not come on air. It's by a very famous Hindu poet called Nagarjun. I think he has done a fantastic job. He is a rock star and also acted in the film.

Qwest thumbnail
EXECUTIVE INTERVIEW WITH ZUBEEN GARG
THE TIMES OF INDIA
...even as Assamese singer-composer-actor Zubeen Garg's got everyone lip syncing to his chart buster Ya Ali,Amrita Mukherjee sings along.

Zubeen Garg stepped into Mumbai from Assam in 1996, has sung in films like Kaante and Fiza but it's one song that has suddenly made him a household name a decade later.

Zubeen is the voice behind Ya Ali, the song from Gangster, that is rocking radio, TV, discos and teenagers' pads, at the moment.

"You speak Bengali?"that's the first thing this Assamese singer asks. "I am very comfortable speaking Bengali. You can do the interview in your language,"says the 33-year-old singer, adding, "I have lived for eight years in a place in Assam where I had a lot of Bengali neighbours and that's how I picked up the language."

But Zubeen's association with Bengal goes beyond that. He bagged the BFJA award for scoring the music of Shudhu Tumi that starred Koel and Prosenjit.

"I have sung and directed music in many regional languages. But I guess in Mumbai you have to have that one hit. Now that I have got it, work is pouring in," says the singer.

He is currently working on his new Hindi album and has sung in films like Side Effect, Woh Lamhe and Dekho Mil Gaya, that are yet to be released.

So far Zubeen used to stay in Mumbai for a few months but now he is contemplating shifting residence permanently to the city.

"Actually I have so much work in Assam, I was doing the balancing act in Mumbai,"he said. With 7,000 songs under his belt, he has starrred in three films, he has been the executive producer, music director and actor in the Assamese film Dinobandhu, that went on to win a National Award in 2005.

Although he has his own recording studio in Mumbai, fame was so far eluding the talented singer-composer in this city of fortunes.

"Pritam (music director of Gangster) and I are old friends and we have worked in a number of projects together. So we share a comfort level,"said Zubeen.

And here's a piece of information for you. He makes an appearance as a singer in the film. Ya, Ali! Talk about multitasking. Guess that's Zubeen.

Edited by Qwest - 17 years ago
Qwest thumbnail
Jongki Barthakur dies in car mishap

Eighteen-year-old Jongki Barthakur, renowned singer and popular cine artist, lost her life in a road mishap in Sonitpur district recently.

She was the sister of Zubeen Garg, one of the most popular singers in Assam today.

She was going to Sootea to participate in her brother's cultural nite when her car had a head-on collision with a truck near
Balipara under Rangapara police station. Zubeen was initially in the same car but had got into another car just a few minutes before the accident.

Noted music producer Jayanto Patro and editor of cine magazine Maya, Robson Barua who were also travelling in the same car were badly injured. Jayanto Patro later succumbed to his injuries in the hospital.

Jongki Barthakur had also acted in several Assamese television serials. Her film career had taken off with the popular film Tumi Mor Mattu Mor. Her father Mohini Barthakur is a noted lyricist and the joint director of Assam Administrative Staff College. A galaxy of singers, artists and other film personalities attended her cremation to pay their respect to the departed soul.

Qwest thumbnail

Biography oF ZUBEEN

Edited by Zteam 

Zubeen Garg
Born 18th November, Friday, 1972.

Zubeen was born to Mr. Mohini. M. Borthakur and Late Mrs. Ily Borthakur. The Borthakur Family had its roots in Janji,Sivasagar Mr. Borthakur was a magistrate and was moving very often during his early years and so was little Zubeen. Zubeen's mother Late Mrs. Ily Borthakur was a good dancer, an actress and singer, and she never turned these talent into a professional career. Instead, she decide to teach little Zubeen, all her skills, right at home. Zubeen considers his mother to be his first guru or mentor. His father Mr. M.M. Borthakur also writes poems and stories under a pseudo name of Kapil Thakur. Zubeen's younger sister, Jonkie Borthakur was a known singer and actress who unfortunately died in a car accident in 2002. Zubeen's other sister Palme, is a good bharat natyam dancer, presently lives in Guwahati.

Zubeen started learning tabla from Guru Robin Banarjee, and then continued learning assamese folk music form Guru Romoni Rai. Zubeen went to J.B. College in Jorhat, and then moved to B. Barooah College, where he was pursuing Bachelor of Science after his family moved permanently to Guwahati. But he did not completed his baccalaureate studies as he jumped in to the music scene. Zubeen's life had a turning point when he received the gold medal for his western solo performance in the youth festival held in 1992. This is where he got his first taste of success and confidence as vocalist. Apart form playing dhols, dotara, mandolin, percussions, Zubeen is an accomplished keyboard player. He broke into professional music scene in 1992, releasing his first album - Anamika. This unusual album, became an instant hit in entire North-East India and re-defined assamese musical landscape for the coming 21st century. After that, there was no looking back for Zubeen. With about 40 album to his name, Zubeen continues his musical career directing music to over 24 assamese movies including a few hindi and bangla movies as well. He received the best Music Award in 2005, for his latest Bangla movie Shudhu Tumi. Although Zubeen considers himself to be a Musician, so far he sang more than 7000 songs in various languages including Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Punjabi, Oriya, Marathi, Nepali etc. Some of his musical and vocal work on hindi language are found on movies such as Fizaa, Kante, Mudda, Brides Wanted, Gangster, Pyaar ka side effect etc. In 2000, Zubeen wrote, directed and acted in his own assamese film Tumi Mur Mathu Mur. Zubeen acted, co-produced and scored music in another assamese film Dinabandhu, which got national award in 2005. Zubeen had done music for Strings, a hindi film, directed by Sanjay Jha is due to be released NOW.

Zubeen is currently working on his new hindi album to be released after July 2006. He is also working on a script for one of his upcoming hindi movie, to be announced in August of 2006. Zubeen has opened a chain of Beauty Parlor across North-East called
Zubeen's Veda.

Zubeen lives with his wife Garima in his Flat, which is a part of his Music Studio called Sound & Silence, located at 165/1, Sher-E-Punjab. Andheri East. Mumbai, India.

Qwest thumbnail
Industry happy with Zubeen hit
UMANAND JAISWAL
A scene from Gangster, A Love Story

The music industry in Assam has hit the perfect note with a chartbuster from the latest Bollywood flick Gangster, A Love Story.

Creating waves of euphoria across the state is the fast and catchy number, Ya Ali, sung by the state's very own Zubeen Garg. The singer-composer actually sings the number on screen.

How huge is the hit and what it means to those in the music trade can be gauged by what Manik Lahoty of Sangam Music — a leading dealer of Saregama India Limited that released the film's music countrywide last month — has to say.

"This hit has come at the right time as the music trade here was going through a bad phase. It has given us reasons to smile during these piracy and election-affected times."

Trade pundits here said Ya Ali, which is lyricist Sayeed Quadri's ode to love and friendship, is also Garg's best Bollywood number till date.

But this is mainly because the singer concentrates more in his home state where he is in a league of his own.

"All the songs in the film are catchy, but the one by Zubeen is clearly its USP. It is a huge hit. Even in the theatres here his fans went berserk when the song was played and this is rare. Ya Ali has topped the charts for the past three weeks," said Manoj Saini of Maruti Music.

Big and small music outlets across the state are definitely singing the song all the way to the bank with more than 35,000 cassettes and 3,000 CDs of the Gangster track already off the shelves.

Traders, however, feel that the success could have been sweeter, but for piracy. "Had it not been for piracy, we would have sold over a lakh audio units. The song has not only helped us smile, but also established Garg in Bollywood," added Lahoty.

Suvojit Roy, the regional marketing manager of Saregama India Limited, could not agree more. At the same time, he hoped that this "phenomenal hit" would help boost the sales of Garg's maiden score as a music director in the Bollywood movie Strings. The film's track is slated to be released soon.

Even Zubeen has been bowled over by the response to Ya Ali. Though he could not be contacted, he had recently said in a TV interview that he was confident about the song doing well, but not in the manner it has across the country.

Music director Pritam had revealed in the same interview that Zubeen was so bowled over by the tune of Ya Ali that he had wanted to sing the song himself.

Qwest thumbnail
 'Ya Ali' singer

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------
By Zafri Mudasser Nofil, IANS

He shot into fame with the foot-tapping Bollywood chartbuster "Ya Ali". And now, Zubeen Garg, the singer-composer from Assam, is flooded with offers, including Feroz Khan's remake of his 1980s action-thriller "Qurbani".

"I have just finished singing two songs for 'Qurbani II'," says Zubeen.

"I am excited at the success of 'Ya Ali'. It was a wonderful song by Pritam (the music director)," Zubeen told IANS over phone from his adopted home Mumbai, where he owns a studio, Sound & Silence.

Zubeen's foray into Bollywood is, however, not new. He has lent his mellifluous voice for songs in "Fiza", "Kaante", "Mudda" and "Brides Wanted".

"I was somehow not noticed in my earlier songs - 'Mere Vatan' from 'Fiza' and 'Jaane Kya Hoga Rama Re' from 'Kaante' - though the two films were big hits," he says.

Zubeen is now busy with two important projects - his own Hindi movie "Chakra" and a new Hindi music album. Other films in which he will be heard include "Pyar Ke Side Effects", "Woh Lamhe" and "Dekho Mil Gaya".

"I am working out the perfect cast for Chakra. It will be surely an offbeat film," says the 33-year-old singer.

He has just finished his maiden Hindi film score in Sanjay Jha's "Strings", which stars Adam Bedi, (Kabir Bedi's son) Sandhya Mridul and Tannishtha Chatterjee and is set for a July release.

"The music in 'Strings' is a mixture of tradition and modernity. The six songs are of different breeds - there's one inspired by a centuries-old Assamese prayer and one redone from a revolutionary poem," Zubeen says.

"I have also reworked on the famous song by eminent music composer and director, late Pankaj Mallick - 'Piya Milan Ko Jana'. The lyrics (by Deepak Sneh) are different but I have retained the tune.

"It was great to be part of the 'Strings' team. Sanjay (Jha) is a friend. And the whole idea about making the movie was conceived by him at my home," he claims.

"Strings" is a crossover film about a guy from Britain falling in love with a priest's daughter during his visit to the Kumbh Mela at Nasik.

Three other Assamese singers - Saswati Phukan (of "Kaliyon ka chaman' and "Kaanta laga" fame), Angarang Mahanta, Brishti Saikia - have also lent their voices in the film.

Zubeen broke into the professional music scene in 1992 with his first Assamese album - "Anamika" that sold like hot cakes. Since then, he has nearly 40 albums to his name. He has also composed music for over 20 Assamese and a couple of Bengali movies.

Apart from playing the guitar, mandolin and percussions, Zubeen is an accomplished keyboard player. He has sung in various regional languages including Tamil, Telugu, Punjabi, Oriya, Marathi and Nepali, besides Assamese and Bengali.

He acted, co-produced and scored the music in the Assamese film "Dinabandhu", which won the national award in 2005 for its score.

Zubeen has now set his eyes overseas. He is leaving for the US where he is slated to perform this month and then in August he will fly to the Gulf for a performance in Dubai.
Anuradha thumbnail
Thanks a lot again qwestda.. Very good articles to read.. Thanks again
Qwest thumbnail

Originally posted by: ans24us1

Thanks a lot again Qwestda.. Very good articles to read.. Thanks again

Thanks Anu I enjoy his song he will do good for himself.
Anuradha thumbnail

Originally posted by: Qwest

Thanks Anu I enjoy his song he will do good for himself.

I was a bit upset with Strings.. But then came to know about Black Satire etc.. Lets hope for the best...
Qwest thumbnail

Originally posted by: ans24us1

I was a bit upset with Strings.. But then came to know about Black Satire etc.. Lets hope for the best...

I will send you an PM and will discuss that issue.