|Fifth, Guru Arjan Dev Ji's Martyrdom Day|

Angel-Jot thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 11 years ago
+Sikhs had ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with violence or weapons and were only taught to love, remember God, and commit to peace and harmony for people all around the world.. UNTIL..

June 16.

On this day, every year since 1606, Sikh's have commemorated the martyrdom of the Fifth Guru, Guru Arjan Dev Ji.

During the "leadership" of Guru Arjan Dev Ji, people in India then known as Hindustan [Muslims, Hindus] were all converting to Sikhism under Guruji's teachings. At this time, the Mughal Clergy was greatly upset over the growing conversion to Sikhism and the Emperor of India of the time, Akbar did nothing to stop it, angering the Mughal clergy further. In 1605, after Akbar died the Clergy through Jahangir sought to make the whole of Hindustan an Islamic state as Jahangir was a fundamentalist Muslim unlike his father Akbar.
Making use of Guru Arjan Dev Ji's enemies, the Clergy was enable to throw baseless allegations at Guruji. Some of which were that the Granth Sahib [Holy Book] defamed Hindus and Muslims. In late May 1606, Guru Arjan Dev Ji was arrested and brought to Lahore where he suffered full 6 days [One day-->arrested] of torture.

Day 1
Guruji was forbade to sleep, eat or drink.

Day 2
Guru Arjan Dev Ji was put into a red hot caldron that was filled with water. Fire was lit underneath the copper vessel to the point where water began to boil which scalded Guruji's body. Despite the torture, Guruji remained calm the entire time, showed no anger, instead remained immersed in the remembrance of God.

Day 3
Hot sand was poured on Guru Ji's body while sitting in boiling water. Again, Guru Ji refused to show any signs of pain and was completely dedicated to remembering God.

Tera Kee-aa meethaa lagai
O Waheguru! Your actions seem so sweet to me
Har naam padarath naanak maangi
Nanak begs for the treasure of the Naam, the name of the Lord

https://sikhgurusandgurdwaras.info/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/1280-Guru-Granth-Sahib-ji-Full-Download-Mp3-Gurmani-In-Punjabi-Text-More-Software.jpg

Day 4
This time, Guru Ji was sat on a hot iron while hot sand was poured on him.

Day 5
On the fifth day, it was planned that Guru Ji be put into a cow hide which would be later sewn together causing him to suffocate but Guru Arjan Dev Ji instead asked to be able to take a dip in the Ravi water. Once coming to the conclusion that the blisters would cause Guru Ji more pain if he were to enter cold water, he was given permission. Thousands watched Guru Ji take a dip in the river.
Guru Arjan Dev forbade his Disciplines to help him any way possible. "Such is the Will of my God, submit to the Divine Will, move not, stand calm against ill woes."
As soon as he took a dip, his body was no where to be found.
"Hail to the Master. Thou art Wonderful- Martyr, the greatest. Thou art the greatest!"

The first to seek martyrdom, Guru Arjan Dev Ji created the heritage of the Sikhs. And today, once again, we honour him and his legend. For the blessing of a culture for Sikhs do we owe him.

Guru Arjan Dev ji was First Sikh Guru who complied the hymns of various saints and spiritual guru's into one collection called Guru Granth Sahib.He wrote maximum number of hymns for Guru Granth Sahib.
He made Golden temple design as such that it was humble(not very high like many temples of the time). Had four doors symbolizing that person from every religion and caste could come to pay their respect to eternal god.
He asked Sufi saint Sain mian meer to lay foundation of Golden Temple as symbol of humanity there by giving message to mankind that this place of worship was for every person who loved god and his people.
[This paragraph credit: sami01]

Crazy Creatives
Edited by Angel-Jot. - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Simz- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail
👏 Proud to be a Sikh!! 
MKMJohal thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Proud To Be A Sikh

asmuasmi thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
lovely n nice post jot😊
--Preeti-- thumbnail
Proud to be a Sikh! 
Love the post Jot great job! 👏
Wonderful Post Jot! And nicely written Sami01. Guru Arjun Dev Ji was very strong, and it's so agonizing remembering all that he had to go through just because he didn't refuse to give up his faith. It brings tears to the eyes just recalling his sufferings. He is successful in awakening self-respect and a sense of dignity in individual's hearts. Although I'm not Sikh, I really wish I was, because this is the one culture I'm so really fond of, and I salute all the Gods for producing love and getting rid of hatred, and creating friendship getting rid of enemies. Guru Arjun Dev Ji will always be a source of inspiration to me :)

maneet_forever9 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Wonderful Post!!! 👏

Proud to be a Sikh!👍🏼
TheRowdiest thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
beautiful post 

Proud to be a Sikh 😃
DheeJattanDi thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
All I can say is; Tera kita jato nahe..

Beautifully written post Sami and Jot :)
Jyo_Ksg thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Amazing post! 👏 thanks for sharing it! 😉
Proud To Be A Sikh!!