Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Neha_S thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 12 years ago
Hey all..
 Your comments made me really happy and apprehensive.  I appreciate you all taking the risk. I will definitely respond and thank each one of you soon.. I am sorry that I didnt update last week and I am sorry to say there will be no update this week as well. My professional enrollment exam just got scheduled for next week so I am freaking out. But next weekend ( the 9th) I will be free and expect an update that week...

Thanks once again

Love

Neha
DJ.. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
No stress Neha ... and best of luck for your exams ... ๐Ÿ˜ณ
whispa thumbnail
Neha wish you all the best for your exams!๐Ÿ˜ณ
-Harshu- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
All the best for your exams!๐Ÿ˜ณ
MidnightMusings thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ Best of lucks for your exams
Neha_S thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 5
 I was thinking to reply individually to you all but then decided to post this part instead. I hope you dont mind.

Now onto the comments. I would like to thank you all for the wonderful support and belief you have shown. I do read between the lines that there is some apprehension about Sid becoming blind and this being a sympathy love: I wont say much about that but just be assured that by this time this fic is finished you wont doubt Ridhima's love for Sid, no matter what else you hate about it. Anyway I am glad you guys are up for this crazy ride. 

And thanks for the lovely wishes for my exams. They went well- too easy, in my opinion. They will be strict in marking. Ah well... not worrying about that until I have to.  So here it is:

Chapter 3
If good news spread like fire, then bad news spreads like plague. By the time Arman stepped back into Sanjeevani, every intern, nurse and every single person in the parking lot was gossiping about Sid's accident. Arman ignored the whispers that followed him. He straightened his back and walked in, trying to ignore the stabbing pains in his right arm.

He remained unusually quiet. It had been a disturbing night. He had no sleep.. All he could think about was the horrid screams that echoed through his mind. It was so horrifying that he didnt want to sleep.He gripped his fist, gasping loudly and the nurse sitting nearby looked up.

"Dr. Arman, you are supposed to be on leave" she noted serenely. He watched as her eyes took every inch of him in, trying to assess his injuries. He could see the curiousity in her eyes. Human nature is morbid. It has a strange affinity to tragedy- some one else's tragedy. When the tragedy is a mere story to be told again and again and discussed at length with sympathetic tones, everyone loved a tragedy. But the moment it tends to touch themselves, repulsion grips them.

He shrugged: " I am back."

"Well, you shouldnt be.." a soft voice said from behind him. He turned and saw Ridhima. She was still dressed in yesterday's clothes. Her eyes were tired and drooping. He felt an pang of concern but it was wholly muted by what he was feeling.
 She patted his arm slowly and said " You should be home and resting. I was just about to come and see you."

Her beautiful eyes were filled with concern. Arman looked away, guilt wrenching his heart. He flinched away from her touch and her eyes widened.
 He ran his hand through his hair.

"I.. Um.. I had to see S-Sid." His voice cracked at the middle and he cleared his throat.

Sid.. Oh my god.. His buddy.. His friend...He closed his eyes, his ears straining from the noises he couldnt seem to keep away.

Screams.. not the ones they were used to. Anguished screams.. screams of pity. He felt his head spin. He wrenched the wheel back but it was of no use.. the screams grew louder. He felt sweat draining out of his body as he used his strength to pull it.

"No! No! No!"

He could hear him.. still calm in his anguish.

" Just go dude.. Let me be.."

" He hasnt woken up yet. They say he is stable though" Ridhima whispered as she led him along the corridor.

Arman nodded. Ridhima rubbed her forehead tiredly. "I had to call his father. He is furious. It was so hard breaking the news to him. Sid is his only son."

Arman clenched his fist. The screams amplified in his head. It was his fault- totally completely his fault. 

" He is going to be fine" he said forcefully

Ridhima stopped walking and turned towards him. Her eyes were wide as she contemplated him.

" Have they- Do you know?" she asked as though confused.

" What?" he asked roughly

" He - he has severe eye trauma. He lost his sight." she said softly, looking like she wanted to cry

The words echoed around his head, and he stumbled back. 

" Lost his sight?"

" He cant see.. possibly ever.." she said, sniffing.

Arman closed his eyes and instantly he could see Sid. His best buddy.. grinning and laughing at his stupid pranks. His keen hazel eyes lighting up at the idea of basketful. He wouldnt be able to play. He wouldnt be able to see.. He cant see.. and he wont ever.

And it was all because of him.

" Arman.."

His eyes snapped to her.

And because of her.

She stepped forward. He flinched involuntarily.

Her eyes widened yet again, a thousand questions in them.

" What happened last night?"

He gritted his teeth and gasped " Does he know?"

Ridhima shook her head "I told you.. he hasnt woken up. "

" Who is going to be there when he is told?"

"Well, Dr. Kriti says it would be best if you were there. You re his closest friend"

" Just go dude.. Let me be"

He wrenched away and rushed to his friend's room.

Sid weaved into consciousness suddenly. He stirred slowly. The first thing he noticed was the pain in his right arm. It felt somewhat like it did when he fell asleep on it but only a hundred times worse. He cringed at the away and shifted instinctively. His shoulder grazed against cotton sheets and he gasped at the stinging pain. Cursing himself silently, he heard scrambles and movements around him. 

" Sid.." a very familiar voice said "Oh my god dude.. you are awake" 

Arman..

And just like that.. everything rushed back. The fire, the fight, the smoke.. and the pain. He felt an odd sense of panic grating his nerves and he tried to look at his friend. He found that his eyes were weighed down by heavy bandages, The panic intensified.

Grasping the sheet between his fingers, he opened his mouth to call out. His mouth was dry - like someone had stuffed cotton in it. He wet his lips to call out but he could only cough loudly.

" Easy - easy there" said a gentle voice. He wracked his brains and placed the voice.

" Dr. Shashank?"

" Yes, Sidhant its me.." he said heavily " You need to go easy. You had a big accident."

Once again the words ignited visions of smoke. He ignored them and focused on Dr. Shashank's voice.

" You need to rest. We have informed your father last night and he will be here shortly, I think" 

His father.. Oh no. His dad was a very busy man. He neednt be disturbed for a small accident, for that was what it was, right? It couldnt have been anything else..He ignored the incessant beeps that signalled his accelerating heart rate.

" Oh no.. dont call Dad. He doesnt need to be here"

There was a beat of silence. And a new voice spoke up.. Dr. Kriti..

" Actually Sidhant, it isnt that simple."

The simple sentence hung in the air until Sid couldnt take the suspense anymore.

" What are my injuries?"

" Dude.. you need to rest right now. We can do this later on." Arman said, his voice was nervous.

It did nothing to calm Sid down.

" What are my injuries?" he repeated firmly

" You have a fractured arm, severe burns on your right shoulder." Dr. Kriti informed him in a clincally detached voice.

Curiously it drove him back to days of medical school.

" Never view a patient as a human with emotions. They are a problem- a mathematical problem so to say and you have to discover the solution." His anatomy Professor used to say

" Isnt that slightly insensitive?" Shreya said from the third bench. She was a cute little thing, her face was always serious. Sid remembered thinking she was quite pretty.

" That is the only you can survive as a doctor."

"We have put you arm in a bandage,. It should be alright within..."

" My eyes..." Sid gasped suddenly " what is wrong with them? Why are they bandaged?"

There was it again.. another beat of silence.

" Would anyone please just tell me?"

"Sidhant.." he felt a hand against his uninjured arm. " You have developed severe eye trauma from exposure to the smoke. It still a matter from the optometrist but it seems as if..." there was a pause " as if you may not be able to see.."

You may not be able to see...

The words seemed to swirl around his mind leaving no impact. Instead he calmly said

" How long?"

Silence.

No! No!

" What are the chances of regaining my sight?"

He heard an gasp and he wished he could see it... His heart swelled twice its size.

" Would someone  answer me, damnit?"

" You probably wouldnt be able to see ever again. Your retina lid has been blackened by smoke..." Shashank said slowly

He couldnt see.. he wouldnt be able to see. He wont ever be able to see. The world would be black for him, he would need to walk with the help of people, he would be fed by others.. he would be totally dependant on others.
He wouldnt be able to see.. never again..

He was unaware when he started hyperventilating. He felt frantic hands steadying him as his heart rate went out of control. 
Beep- beep -beep-beep

" Sidhant.. calm down.. calm down. Dr. Modi. please.."

" I am not a doctor.. I cant be a doctor.." he yelled suddenly, causing  Shashank to lose his grip.
" I wouldnt be able to be a doctor..I will not be anything.."

As nonchalant as he had been about his practice  as a doctor,it was the one thing he ever wanted to be.

Shashank whispered "Its going to be okay Sid.." He felt hands pushing back to the bed gently.

It was then that he screamed.

So how was it?? Do you think Sid's reaction was good or too dramatic or too calm? Give me your opinions

Much love 

Neha

DJ.. thumbnail
res

**Edited**

Extremely well written and more there is so much thought that has gone in this update shows clearly.

References to how human nature is is quite true and you have brought that out well and also Sid reaction does not seem anywhere over the top.

In fact none of the characters actions and reactions were over the top. You are taking this story forward in a very controlled manner.

Keep up the good work.

Edited by DJ.. - 12 years ago
sid_ridz thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
i think  u write sid reaction properly...bcz when a person is shocked 1st he react claimly  then sometimes violently

cant wait for to how the story progress...update soon
mala1108 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Awesome update... continue soon
-Nags- thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Awesome๐Ÿ˜ƒ

poor my Sid๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ