lucky_lakshmi thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Mohabbatein

character:Narayan Shanker

lucky_lakshmi thumbnail

lucky_lakshmi thumbnail

Yashraj Films Present A Yash Chopra Film Kabhi Kabhie Waheeda Rehman Amitabh Bachchan

Shashi Kapoor Raakhee Rishi Kapoor Neetu Singh Music Composed By Khayyam

Lyrics By Sahir Ludhianvi Cinematography By Kay Gee Romesh Bhalla Story By Pamela Chopra

Screenplay By Yash Chopra Sagar Sarhadi Dialogues By Sagar Sarhadi Produced And Directed By Yash Chopra

Yash Chopra is undoubtedly one of the most successful filmmakers of Hindi cinema and part of his enduring appeal lies in surprising the audience with every new film. He is now known for his romantic films, but a look at his filmography shows that in the seventies, no two films looked alike, even though he often repeated his actors.

In 1975, he made 'Deewar' in which Amitabh Bachchan played a man raging against society. A year later, he came up with 'Kabhi Kabhie', a romantic film in which Bachchan played a poet ("Main pal do pal ka shaayar hoon") hurt in love and brooding at the loss for years. And then again, he played a violent vengeful man in Chopra's next 'Trishul'. The filmmaker got the best out of his actors, Bachchan in particular.

The film (Pam Chopra's story converted into an award-winning script by Sagar Sarhadi), telling the story of two generations is about romantic triangles, unrequited love and complex relationships, about the past impinging on the present.

Amit Malhotra (Amitabh Bachchan) is in love with Pooja (Raakhee), who is forced by her parents to marry Vijay Khanna (Shashi Kapoor) One of the most erotic wedding night scenes is in this film, as Vijay slowly takes off a tembling Pooja's bridal jewellery.

Amit's poetic inspiration dries up with Pooja's betrayal and he settles down into a stolidly dutiful marriage with Anjali (Waheeda Rehman), doting in their daughter Sweety (Naseem), who is thoroughly spoilt as a result.

Vijay is a happy-go-lucky fellow and Pooja is happy with him, putting her past completely out of her mind. They have a son Vicky (Rishi Kapoor), who is just as cheerful and affectionate as his father. Vicky is in love with Pinky (Neetu Singh), who is actually Anjali's daughter from a pre-marital relationship, and raised by loving foster parents (Parikshit Sahni and Simi Garewal).

When Pinky comes to know who her real mother is, she refuses to listen to reason or persuasion and lands up at Anjali's doorstep. Encouraged by his father, Vicky follows her (this buddy-buddy father-son relationship was seen again later in Aditya Chopra's 'Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge' between Anupam Kher and Shah Rukh Khan).

Anjali is unable to acknowledge Pinky as her daughter, but her extra-affection bugs Sweety. To make the tension worse, Sweety also falls in love with Vicky and is distraught to know that he prefers Pinky. Matters go out of hand and years later, the parents are confronted with uncomfortable truths from their own past, which now threatens to spill over into their children's lives.

Today top stars would balk at playing parents at the peak of their career as lead stars. Only Yash Chopra could have persuaded a whole lot of them to agree – especially Amitabh Bachchan who was at his angry young man stage. He also said in an interview that the entire cast stayed together as a family and contributed to every aspect of the film.

The delicacy of emotions and lavishness of scale, good taste and classy look seen in earlier Chopra films like 'Waqt' was fine-tuned to an art in 'Kabhi Kabhie'. It soon became the director's trademark, influencing many younger directors including son Aditya and Karan Johar, who has even named his second film 'Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham' as a tribute to his mentor (also using the unusual spelling in his title).

Apparently, the film's financier Gulshan Rai was convinced the film would never run, but it was a major hit.

A large part of the credit for the film's success would go to Khayyam who set Sahir Ludhianvi's superb lyrics ("Kabhi kabhi mere dil mein khayal aata hai", "Tere chehre se nazar nahin hat ti", "Main pal do pal ka shaayar hoon") into memorable songs. It won awards for the lyricist, composer and singer Mukesh.

'Kabhi Kabhie', along with 'Waqt', 'Deewar' and 'Trishul' will always be counted as Yash Chopra's best films.

lucky_lakshmi thumbnail
The powerstruck ladies of Big B

By: Rajdeep Gupta

Reigning or rather 'dominating' would be the suitable word to use for the superstar Amitabh Bachchan's tenure in Bollywood. He was the agni-missile of 70's and quite early 80's whose name was enough to pull audience. Still a potent force he surely has scaled heights thanks largely to the beautiful co-actress who worked with him. Be it the ever glamorous Rekha or the svelte Zeenat Aman, the pairs have been like shining diamonds in the silver screen. We thus talk about some of the leading ladies who worked with the superstar.

JAYA BACHCHAN (now JAYA BHADURI) - No body would have fancied that the 'lambu' would fall for 'Guddi', but they did. Couples in real life their love blossomed on the sets of GUDDI (Amitabh made a special appearance) and they married soon after. Hrishikesh Mukherjee and Basu Bhattacharya earned them star status in the movies ABHIMAAN and CHUPKE CHUPKE. Both them excelled in their career and did seven movies together all of them mega success, MILI, ZANJEER & SILSILA to name a few.

REKHA - Whenever the name of the hottest pair comes up in Bollywood, it has to have the mention of Rekha and Amitabh. They ignited the screen with their elegance. Rekha as Zohra Bhai asking Amitabh as Sikandar to not drink still haunts the audience. Together, the pair did 11 movies amongst which KHOON PASINA, DO ANJAANE, MUQUADAR KA SIKANDAR, the blockbuster SHOLAY & the unforgettable SILSILA (still believed to based on their reel life affair.) are worth-mentioned. 

ZEENAT AMAN - Sexy doll of Dev Anand got along with Big B in seven movies. They really did wonders in movies like DON, THE GREAT GAMBLER, LAWARIS and PUKAR.

PARVEEN BABI - They were perfect as per as dancing pair were concerned. Dancing with a 6 feet 9 inch guy was surely fun. She did eight movies with him amongst which MAJBOOR, DEEWAR, AMAR AKBAR ANTHONY, SHAAN & KAALIA are worth mentioning.

RAKHEE GULZAR - A lover, wife and a mother, Rakhee had dawn every shade alongside him. Has the distinction of been in his movie for the maximum times (12), Rakhee has also acted with him in a Bengali film ANUSHANDHAN (His lone Bengali film) later made into BARSAT KI EK RAAT. Hits include are TRISHUL, KABHI KABHI, KASME WAADE and EK RISHTA.

HEMA MALINI - A dream girl to millions she has paired him in nine films. SAATE PE SAATE is one of their hits. Interesting is now that both of the stars kids are finding it hard to find a room in Bollywood.

WAHEEDA REHMAN - Like Rakhee she too has been his lover, wife and mother. They did six movies together and all of them fared well in the box-office.

SRIDEVI - Early 80's and it was not easy to pair him with the younger lot but she did the job quite well in INQUILAB as an estranged wife and in AANDHA KANOON as a lover. Come 90's she was again in the big budget KHUDA GAWA as Benazir. The movie too did well.

SMITA PATIL- Her two movies with him have been super-duper hit in Bollywood. Can one forget the soft-spoken lady in the rain song "Aaj Rapat Jayion.." in NAMAK HALAL and playing a hotel singer in Ramesh Sippy's SHAKTI? Truly they were class apart!

The list can go on and it won't stop. Today Big B is no more dancing across the trees with its heroines. I have tried to put forward the best actress I thought worked with him and might have missed some. But whoever the lady was it was a sheer magic to watch them in the screen.

Recent Stories
Dreamgirl Hema Malini, undeniably a Shayar's gazal...
SHAKTI- THE CLASH OF THE TITANS

Archives

lucky_lakshmi thumbnail
Big B romances 😉

lucky_lakshmi thumbnail

Muqaddar ka sikander(film with my fav song 😳 ) -A very very touching film with wonderful acting shown by The mighty Amitabh Bachchan

brief story
As an orphan in the streets of Shimla , Young Sikandar (Amitabh Bachchan) as no one to care for him. For the short while that he works for Mr. Ramnath, little Kamna Ramnath (Rakhee) gives Sikandaar the kind of consideration and friend ship no one has given him before. After the Ramnath's leave Shimla for Bombay, Sikandar follows them there. Eventually Fatima a young widow who works for Ramnath mistakes Sikandar for a theif and has him thrown out. Little Kamna turns against Sikandar and wants to do nothing with him. At Fatima's grave, a dharvesh (Kader Khan) advises Sikandar how to deal with the realities in life. Young Sikandar works hard and grows up to be a wealthy respected young man. Kamna who still wants nothing to do with Sikandar is unaware that he has been helping her all along by paying for her handicapped father's medical bills. Sikandar meets a dancing girl Zohra Bhai (Rekha) who falls in love with him but Sikandar still loves Kamna.

Dilwar (Amjad Khan) a vengeful lover of Zohra Bhai declares Sikandar to be his enemy. When a young Lawyer Vishal (Vinod Khanna) saves Sikander's life Sikandar takes him like a brother. Vishal who knows nothing of Sikanders Feelings for Kamna becomes Ramakanth's assistant and falls in love with Kamna. Before Sikandar can declare his love for Kamna his life long dream is shattered when he sees her with Vishal. Sikandar feels betrayed by his best friend and his love.

The film ends with Sikander dying for the sake of his love(No no..it wsnot a suicide..Sikender was too experianced and had suffered enough pain to do that)He gets pierced by Dilwar while rescueing Kamna(It was Kamna's and VIshal's marriage)Sikender doesnt reveal his love for the happiness of his friend and love.He dies in the lap of Visha(a scene worth watch)

Runaway hit of the 70's and considered one of the most succesful movies of the mighty Bachchan in his heydays.

Edited by lucky_lakshmi - 17 years ago
lucky_lakshmi thumbnail
He rules okay!
Make no mistake. Amitabh Bachchan is Sarkar. Even if Abhishek is apne baap ka baap! Interview with Ram Gopal Varma by Subhash K. Jha

Q: Bachchan and Bachchan in Sarkar!

To me, Amitabh and Abhishek are completely different actors. And even if they weren't related I'd still want only the two of them for the two roles in Sarkar. I'm not impressed by gimmicky attempts to bring exciting combinations together.

For me, the characters dictate the actors. And Sarkar demanded Amitabh and Abhishek. Sarkar was a project that I had in mind for some years now. By the time the script crystallised, a lot of time had passed. But I knew I wanted the senior Bachchan in the title role.

Q: Their combination does generate a lot of curiosity?

I don't care. I made them do exactly what the script required without worrying about what the so-called market expected from me. Let's be honest. I designed Sarkar for Amitabh Bachchan. Abhishek came in later.

I was too much in awe of the senior to concern myself about the junior. Like most moviegoers I grew up watching the senior Bachchan doing amazing things on screen. To do justice to his presence in my work I had to design something that was as good as his best works. Whether I succeeded or not is secondary. I took my time to conceive a role that would showcase Amitabh Bachchan the way I wanted to see him. Were it not for Mr Bachchan I wouldn't have made Sarkar.

Q: After Black his performance in your film will be carefully watched….

Personally, I don't like seeing Mr Bachchan in a film like Black. For me, he's a superstar. I'm not interested in seeing him as an actor. I want to see him larger than life.

Q: But he's a brilliant actor!

I'm not denying that. But to me his stardom is what his talent is all about. I want to see him as a superhero all the time. I'd hate to see him as a physically disabled person. I hero-worshipped him, and still do. To me, he's the big brother who'll take care of my problems. In Sarkar, I want to recreate the intensity that he exuded in Zanjeer and Deewaar, obviously keeping his age in mind. I think he's the only actor in Indian cinema who can hold the camera without saying a word. He always seems to be communicating directly with every member of the audience. You're awed and inspired by that one impenetrable stare. That's awesome.

Q: What have you done with that stare?

It's my 'stare'way to heaven. To me, Mr Bachchan drinking tea from a saucer is more incredibly performance-oriented than some other actor doing a complex emotional sequence.

Like I said, he can hold the camera with his personality. In Don, audiences clapped when he walked down the hotel lobby. What's that! Not a performance, but the persona. I've tried to recreate the same aura in Sarkar.

Amitabh Bachchan would've made the same impact even if he was a salesperson or a taxi driver instead of an actor. It's in the way he carried himself.

As an actor, he reaches out to the widest number of people. He doesn't need camera props and technique to make him look magnetic. He's impressive from within. Other actors can wear the best designer clothes. But they can't equal the intensity of Bachchan who came with grime on his face in Kala Patthar and Deewaar. His unwashed appeal is amazing. He's one of the masses and yet larger than life.

It's almost a cliche to say that you dreamt of working with Amitabh Bachchan. Every director says the same.

But I had the arrogance to think I could make him do things he had never done before.

What happened was the opposite. Mr Bachchan has taken Sarkar much beyond where I could ever take it. Many actors give good performances without understanding the craft. But Mr Bachchan understands the craft and yet remains completely authentic onscreen. He adds immensely to the writer and director's vision.

Q: Were you intimidated working with your idol?

As a director, I'm always prepared. There was no question of getting intimidated. My observation on Amitabh Bachchan's career was that over the years, the directors began to depend too much on his persona. The one-liners in Deewaar and Namak Haraam became one-pagers in subsequent films. I found that tense element missing in his recent films.

In Sarkar, I wanted to recreate that tense aura of the one-liners. I wanted to let his silences speak louder than his words. Even in real life he has the habit of looking blankly at you, so that you don't know how his mind is working.

Yes, the interaction with him was definitely exceptional. I'm the lion who has tasted blood. I'll work with him again and again.

Q: So unlike Black he's less wordy here?

He's very silent in Sarkar.

(From top) Amitabh Bachchan in Sarkar; Ram Gopal Varma; Amitabh with costars including Abhishek in Sarkar; and in Deewaar

Q: And Abhishek? What do you mean when you say he's a better actor than Amitabh?

When Mr Bachchan came he grew on us. I didn't know who he was. Then one day I saw him in Zanjeer, Deewaar, Sholay…. His personality grew in my mind.

As for Abhishek he came in as Amitabh Bachchan's son, so the expectations were extraordinarily high.

And then on top of that, Abhishek was made to do all those NRI films which didn't suit him.

If Mr Bachchan followed up Zanjeer with those Rajesh Khanna films from the earlier era, I doubt he would be such a big star.

Q: Do you think Salim-Javed had a lot to do with Amitabh's stardom?

The director or writer can't be credited with his success. It all depends on right timing. Shah Rukh is such a huge star because he's doing the films that suit him. I loved him in Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge. I think it's very progressive cinema… Every star is a product of his time. I don't think Shah Rukh would've worked in Zanjeer or Deewaar. When Abhishek came he wasn't being given the chance to develop his own identity. In Naach, which was done with a modicum of realism, his capability was tapped, though not fully. I think I've done that in Sarkar. I've understood his potential here. Mr Bachchan would've done this kind of thing in the beginning of his career.

Q: But you came close to working with Abhishek on several earlier occasions.

Yes, I knew there was an incredible dignity and thehrao in him. When I finally worked with him, his novelty struck me dead-on. I think Abhishek is a very, very different actor from his father. Though there's a genetic likeness their approach to a scene and mode of performance are remarkably different. He's extremely involved on the sets. I'd listen more to Abhishek's than his father's suggestions. Abhishek is extremely perceptive. His understanding of life is more contemporary than mine or Mr Bachchan's.

Q: Do you like taking suggestions from actors?

I won't call it suggestions but participation. No director can go beyond the actor. It's the actor who has to finally feel and express the emotion. Cinema is completely the actor's medium. Eventually, the audience reacts to the actor's expression.

Q: Abhishek told us how petrified he was about shooting with his dad?

I doubt he meant it. Abhishek is one of the most confident persons I've met. During Sarkar, he was never intimidated by either me or Mr Bachchan. Abhishek isn't petrified by anything. I believe if Amitabh and Abhishek belonged to the same generation they would've been very stiff competition for each other.