Best Actor

Amar Akbar Anthony in year 1978

Don in year 1979

Hum in year 1992

Critics Award for Best Actor for Aks in year 2002

Address: Pratiksha, 10th Road

JVPD Scheme

Mumbai 400 049, INDIA

Famous For: His great acting and personality, and for giving us such super hits like Deewar, Suhaag, Muqaddar Ka Sikander, etc. First bollywood action hero.

Did you know? Amitabh almost died from an accident during the shooting of his movie "Coolie".

Latest Dialogue: "Sooryavansh ek aag hai jisme doston ke liye jitni joyti hai, dushmanon ke liye utni hi juala. Bhoon dalo is kambaqt ko." -Sooryavansham

Funniest Role: In Namak Halal, where he says, "I can talk in english, i can walk in english, i can run in english....because english is a phunny language".

Most Serious Role(s):: He is known for serious roles & angry man role, but a few unforgettable ones are from Aaj ka Arjun, Aakhri Rasta, Deewar, and recently Sooryavansham.

Best Scenes:

1) Having an aquarium in hand and suddenly he gets a tumor attack and the way he performed that scene is worth watching and thaawa tching and thats what only Amitabh could do it.

2) Sharabi scene from Amar Akber Anthony, where he immitated himself in the mirror.

3) His Introduction in Mohabbatein as Narayan Shankar.

4) In K3G where he breaks out at the end, he turns around with his eyes red apologizing to his sons.

More on Amitabh Bachchan:

Complete Introduction

Famous Dialogues

Likes & Dislikes

Picture Galleries:

Gallery I

Gallery II

Biography:

Born in October of 1942 when the British rule was beginning to lose power, Amitabh Bachchan is close to completing 60 years of a lifetime. Not interested in films at first, he joined the industry in 1969 with Saat Hindustani. He also became Bollywood's first action man with Zanjeer in 1973. Then, he was known as "the angry young man" after that movie. This movie gave him acclaim and made him a superstar.

Edited by monika.goel - 18 years ago
monika.goel thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Amitabh Bachchan: Famous Dialogues

"Aisa to Aadmi Life mein Doich time bhaagta hai. Olympic ka race ho, yaa Police ka case ho. Tum kisliye bhaagta hai bhai?" -Amar Akbar Anthony

"Yeh koylei ki khaan ek azgar hai seth sahaab, jo roz , unginath logon ko nigalkar, usei peeskar, jissm se khoon ka ek-ek katra choosk ar, ek lash ke roop mein ugall deta hai." -Kaala Paththar

"Govardhan seth, Samundar mein tairne waale- kouon aur taalabon mein dubki nahin lagaya karte hain." -Sharabi

"Sahi baat sahi waqt pe kiya jaye to uska maza hi kuch aur hai, Aur main sahi waqt ka intezaar karta hoon." -Trishul

"Jisne pachchees saal se apni Maa ko thoda thoda marte dekha ho, use maut se kya dar." -Trishul

"Jigar ka dard upar se kahin maloom hota hai (?), Jigar ka dard upar se nahin maloom hota hai." -Sharabi

"Muchain hon to Nathulal jaise hon, warna na hon." -Sharabi

"Govardhan seth, Samundar mein tairne waale- kuon aur taalabon mein dubki nahin lagaya karte hain." -Sharabi

"Sapne bhi samundar ki lahron ki tarah, haqeeqat ki chattanon se takra kar toot jaate hain." -Deewar

"Hum jaha pe khade ho jaate hein, line wahi se shuru hoti hai." -Kaaliya

"Rishte me to hum tumhare baap hote hain, naam hai Shahenshah." -Shahenshah

"Bachpan se hai sar par Allah ka haath, aur Allahrakha hai mere saath; Baazu par hai saathsochiyaasi ka billa, bees number ka beedi peetha hu, kaam karta hu coolie ka aur naam hai Iqbal." -Coolie

"Aaap ne jail ki deewaron aur zanjeeron ka loha dekha hai jailer sahab, Kaaliya ki himmat ka faulaad nahi dekha." -Kaaliya

"Don ko pakadna mushkil hi nahin, naamumkin hai." -Don

"Agar apni maa ka doodh piya hai to saamne aa." -Laawaris

"Tumhara naam kya hai, Basanti?" -Sholay

"Daaru peene se liver kharab ho jaatha hai." -Satte pe Satta

"Eh Caancha, saala bandook bhi dikhata hai aur peeche bhi hattha hai?" -Agneepath

"Lekin woh aayee kyon nahin?" -Naseeb

"Mukhtaar Singh ka naam suna hai?" - Kaalia

"Mai aur meri tanhaai - aksar ye baatein karte hai...." -Silsila

"Mai jo bhi hoon, is wakt tumhare maalik ka maalik hoon bete." -Shakti

"Pain is my destiny and I can't avoid it." -Kaala Patthar

"Mai feke hue paise ko nahi uthatha." -Deewar

"Jo mard hota hai, use dard nahi hota." -Mard

"Ye telephone bhi ajeeb cheez hai- aadmi sochta kuch hai, boltha kuch hai, aur karta kuch hai." -Agneepath

"Zindagi ka tambu teen bambuo pe khada hai." -Sharaabi

"Sooryavansh ek aag hai jisme doston ke liye jitni joyti hai, dushmanon ke liye utni hi juala. Bhoon dalo is kambaqt ko." -Sooryavansham
monika.goel thumbnail
Amitabh Bachchan: Likes and Dislikes

Sun Sign: Libra

Pet Name: Amit

Plus Point: (modestly) I have none

Minus Point: Several. My face, My height

Strength: The love of my fans and affection of my parents

My biggest fear: Not living up to the expectations of people and my fans

Languages known: Hindi, English and a bit of Punjabi Hindi

Weakness: My family

Favourite Perfume: It keeps changing. I use whatever is find on the dressing table

Favourite Holiday Spot: Haven't had a holiday for a long time. I'd prefer where nobody will recognise me

Favourite Food: Indian vegetarian food

Favourite Websites: Don't surf too much. I just use yahoo for e-mails

Philosophy of life: If things happen as you wish it's good, if they do not it's better

Something about yourself that you would like to change: I don't think I would like to change anything

Dream Role: Every actor wants to look for something new in their horizon. When it comes true it becomes a dream role

Favourite film: Ganga Jamuna and Pyaasa

Best compliment paid by a woman: It doesn't come very often

Turn on in a woman: It's too personal!

Turn off in a woman: That's also too personal!

monika.goel thumbnail
Ramu chooses Sholay, holds Time...
   By: Jaideep Shanker
   May 29, 2006

Ram Gopal Varma with Amitabh Bachchan
The ongoing battle of supremacy between the Bachchans and Shah Rukh Khan has now taken a dramatic turn.

Ram Gopal Varma, who was supposed to launch his first film with SRK this September, has decided to scrap the project and launch his long-cherished dream project, Ram Gopal Varma Ki Sholay, instead.

While SRK-starrer Time Machine stands shelved, the long-in-the-pipeline Sholay remake, featuring Amitabh Bachchan, is being launched at exactly the same time when the SRK-Kareena film was supposed to roll.

Kisko chunoon?

A Varma-Khan confrontation has been brewing for some time now. Right after Varma announced his decision to work with SRK for the first time, there were serious second thoughts on the proposed project. Varma was torn between his loyalty towards the Bachchans, and the temptation to work  with Khan for the first time.

The director finally decided to pitch his might , completely and unconditionally, behind the Bachchans, who will now be seen in several forthcoming RGV projects, including the sequel to Sarkar, and the ambitious epic, Ek.

Karan slur

Shah Rukh Khan
Apparently, the flashpoint between Varma and the proposed SRK project was reached when the outspoken director referred to SRK's best friend, Karan Johar's Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham, as a "horror film". The "jest" wasn't taken kindly to by Khan and Johar.

Says Varma, "Yes, it's true that I'm starting Sholay. That should put to an end to all the speculation about whether I really intend to make the film or not. In fact, I'm starting it in September."

Isn't that the time he was supposed to start the SRK film?  "Yes. But since I've decided to scrap Time Machine, I'll start Sholay."

Could this decision have something to do with Ramu's remarks on Johar's Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham?

"When I called K3G a horror film, I was actually paying Karan a backhanded compliment. I'm not capable of making a film like that. As you know, Sholay is my favourite film.

To do my take on my favourite film, with my favourite actor in the lead, excites me more than any other project. As for Karan, he's one of the sweetest souls I've ever met. I wish Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna all the best. And I'm sure Karan is equally enthused about my Sholay."

monika.goel thumbnail

Amitabh Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai to be Kerala's ambassadors

Kunal Kohli directs Amitabh Bachchan

I.I.F.A. goes to Dubai this year

Big B's new ponytail!

Amitabh Bachchan in RGV's Nishabd

Amitabh Bachchan and Tabu team up for Cheeni Kum

Photo Feature: Amitabh Bachchan's style statement'

27 scenes in three days affect Bachchan's health

Photo Feature: Mooche ho to Bachchan saab jaisi

Big B Amitabh Bachchan is back to his work

Big B to make a special appearance in a science fiction

Ram Madhavani's documentary film on Big B

Rang de Bachchanji

Amitabh makes first public appearance after illness

Amitabh Bachchan will lend his voice to a French documentary film

Amitabh and Abhishek come together again

Big B lends his voice for Babul

'Waqt' maker misses Big B

Amitabh Bachchan goes for a medical check-up

The biggest tax payers of Bollywood'

Big B to offer ornaments worth ten crore at Tirupati

Big B apologizes to NOTE

Legal notice served to Amitabh Bachchan

Amitabh goes Mumbai to Goa

Big B, SRK, Hrithik in a music video
monika.goel thumbnail

Donning the robe

Amitabh Bachchan speaks about playing a lawyer for the first time in his career

Kunal M Shah

With a career spanning over three decades one may easily say Amitabh Bachchan has been there and done that. So when one gets to know that his role in S. Ramanathan's Zamaanat is a first of sorts, one cannot help but mentally jog though his filmography. Indeed, Bachchan has never played a lawyer in any of his films so far. And that is exactly what he does in Zamaanat, which stars Karisma Kapur and Arshad Warsi. The film has been in the making for seven years now and is set to release next month.

Speaking about the role Bachchan says, "It is something different for me because I have never played a lawyer in my entire career. In Zamaanat, I play a retired blind advocate who returns to the courtroom to save Arshad Warsi, and ultimately emerges triumphant."

The actor doesn't sound perturbed about the delay in the film's release and his changing looks. He insists, "The plot is spread over a period of time. So my changing looks in the film go well with its narrative."

Bachchan's association with director S. Ramanathan goes a long way. The two had worked together in the popular road film Bombay to Goa. "Ramnathanji has been with me for all these years and I hope he meets with lot of success in his life," he says.

Point out that a lot of his films are being remade these days and he is quick to reply that Bombay to Goa was a remake of a South Indian film called Madras to Pondicherry. He continues: "Hollywood has been doing it for a while now. Even in India, Devdas has been made thrice and there are good remakes of Sahib Biwi Aur Gulam, Sholay and Amar Akbar Anthony in the pipeline. All these (remakes) will be keenly awaited and it would be interesting to see how the original film has been interpreted by a different filmmaker."

Talk about his superstar status and he immediately says, "I don't believe in that tag. Besides, films these days revolve around Shah Rukh, Salman or Abhishek. The younger generation has taken over. And although it is very exciting and humbling to know that people write roles keeping me in mind, I cannot carry an entire film on my shoulders alone."

Yet Bachchan has moulded himself to suit the modern-day working style in Bollywood as no other actor of his generation has. He says, "Times have changed now. There is a lot of planning in making films. Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna was completed in three months and it's a mammoth film with a huge cast. I have just returned from the shooting of Nishabdh which was completed in 20 days when we had a month on hand. It's a very good sign and there is more to come."

Like more films with Abhishek? "I am not doing too many films with him. We have just completed Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna and will be doing a film with Rakyesh Mehra. As a father, I'm glad he is doing well for himself but he has to go a long way. We wish him well and pray that he always remains as focused as he has been. I enjoy working with him."

About Kaun Banega Crorepati, Bachchan says, "I will not deny the fact that talks are definitely on but nothing is finalised now. I have nearly 24 balance episodes. I can talk about it only when things are confirmed."

His health too, he says, is 'perfectly fine'. "Some of my commitments did get delayed but by and large things have been fine. Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna was anyway slated for an August release. Babul was affected a little due to my absence as I had committed the entire December to it. Then there were some problems about the combination dates. We are working that out now." However Bachchan maintains that he isn't overworking and says, "My schedule was never hectic. People saw me all over and thought that I've been overworking. Frankly speaking, it's my manager who schedules all these things. I have been leading an organised life."

sambharchutney thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

heyy monika
wut r we doin 4 d 2nd task
monika.goel thumbnail
Celebes pay homage to actor-politician Sunil Dutt on his first death anniversary

monika.goel thumbnail
Ash's blue-eyed boy
   By: Subhash K Jha
   May 30, 2006

Met my match:
Aishwarya Rai - AFP

When R Madhavan joined  the unit of Mani Ratnam's Guru on May 25, he brought along wife Sarita and son Vedant, because his mentor, Mani Ratnam, wanted to see the baby.

Eyes right!

But Vedant had no eyes for Mani; he was taken up with the film's leading lady, Aishwarya Rai, who loves kids. "At last, I've found a friend who has the same eye colour as me," says Ash, about Vedant.

Smiles the proud papa. "You have to hand it to my boy; he has impeccable taste. Aishwarya is an amazingly beautiful person." But it's Abhishek Bachchan that Maddy is most happy to work with.

"Abhishek and I go back a long way. He was supposed to do Saathiya, which I had done in the original Tamil, for Mani Sir (Alai Payuthe). Then, I did Abhishek's role in the Tamil version of Yuva."

Working with Aby

Madhavan shot with Abhishek on Thursday. "We're very compatible as co-stars. What makes me really proud is that this is my fifth film with Mani Ratnam. I don't know of any other leading man who has done so many films with him. But Abhishek is fast catching up, though. I think he's Mani sir's new blue-eyed boy," jokes Maddy.

Speaking on  the  extent  of  his  role, Maddy says, "I've  no clue about what I'm doing in  Guru. Neither does Abhishek. Do you think I can question the man who made my career? It's enough for me that he has asked me to be part of his new film."

Maddy hasn't shot with  co-star Vidya Balan, yet. "But I'm looking forward to her joining us. I saw her in Parineeta, and loved her old-world personality. I think we'll look fine together, like chocolate and cheese."

lucky_lakshmi thumbnail
but i cant see me siggy! 😭 Edited by lucky_lakshmi - 18 years ago