If Sita was Draupadi and Draupadi was Sita?

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 12 years ago

So an interesting thought occurred to me the other day...what if Sita had been in Draupadi's place and Draupadi had been in Sita's? How would Draupadi have reacted to Sita's Agni Pariksha and Mahaprasthaan, and how would Sita have reacted to the injustices Draupadi suffered, like being forced to marry five brothers, the vastra haran, etc? Also, how would Draupadi's treatment of Ravan during her abduction in Lanka been different from Sita's silent, patient one?

No bashing here please. Both Sita and Draupadi are two very favorite characters in our mythos, so I'm hoping this thread could cultivate some rich discussion about both.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

NandiniRaizadaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Draupadi would have said" Patni sampatti nahi hoti Aryaputra"😉
RamKiSeeta thumbnail

^^ She may have, though Draupadi was generally not hotheaded in the presence of those who cared for her. Shri Ram did take care of Sita as if she was his own life, so I think Draupadi too would have respected him like Sita did.

If Sita was in Draupadi's place, first of all I don't think she'd have laughed at Duryodhan in the maya sabha, so maybe the vastra would not have happened at all.
Aradhana87 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
I think it is hard for me to answer this question because Sitas character is depicted with some slight difference in each version of "Ramayan". In RCM Sita is very calm, understanding and patient. In Adhyatm Ramayan she has those qualities also but there is some fire in her. I meant to say that she was blunt and fearless. I think Draupadi was also blunt and fearless but also proud. So Draupadi would definately stand for herself but I think Sita would do the same.
The reason why Sita did not oppose agni pariksha is because she is a goddess. She knew the real reason behind agnipariksha and that is why she did not oppose it. As in Adhyatm Ramayan sita is in the form of mahakali and "calls"herself the fire which will burn Lanka and demons.
I think Draupadi and Sita are same if you look at their character but Draupadi is very proud.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Originally posted by: Aradhana87

I think it is hard for me to answer this question because Sitas character is depicted with some slight difference in each version of "Ramayan". In RCM Sita is very calm, understanding and patient. In Adhyatm Ramayan she has those qualities also but there is some fire in her. I meant to say that she was blunt and fearless. I think Draupadi was also blunt and fearless but also proud. So Draupadi would definately stand for herself but I think Sita would do the same.

The reason why Sita did not oppose agni pariksha is because she is a goddess. She knew the real reason behind agnipariksha and that is why she did not oppose it. As in Adhyatm Ramayan sita is in the form of mahakali and "calls"herself the fire which will burn Lanka and demons.
I think Draupadi and Sita are same if you look at their character but Draupadi is very proud.

That's true, Sita's character is slightly different in every version of Ramayan. Like you said, RCM has her the softest and most patient, whereas Valmiki Ramayan and Adhyatma Ramayan have her angrier and more Draupadi-like with Ravan. I like a mix between both. I like seeing Sita soft, but at the same time I don't like it when she's portrayed as a pushover or clingy, weepy person like in some movies.