Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

apparaohoare thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

Originally posted by: Shantibai

Bullseye Abhi.

Shantibai   Abhi doesn't eat chilli. He is a pure Bramhin from Karnataka. He doesn't eat beef.

I know that
I was wondering if you mailed him jalapeno from your backyard Appa ๐Ÿ˜†

Abhi doesn't need Jalapeno from me.  He himself is a Habenaro pepper.๐Ÿ˜†

Barnali thumbnail

Originally posted by: mohinis

S. priya, i gave the whole article which clearly says that "tere naam are raaga based", do u think that article is fake, if that article says its raga based , means it is, So if they people can;t understand atleast u should, because u are mod. I gave the full article that "tere naam " i raaga based, Ok, if any one has problem, read that article..

'Odhni od ke naachoon' from Tere Naam has the same tune as Pakistani singer Naseebo Lal's 'Isqhe da wal aagaya'.

Mishtimoni thumbnail

Originally posted by: Barnali

We do not get "shrutis" from the harmonium. The aesthetics of music as per classical norms, which emphasise this are not the same now. We have got used to the harmonium and are losing the older values in music. There is a flow to music with the use of the sarangi. We are losing that flow in music.

The harmonium is preferred because it is a ready-to-use instrument. But the sarangi is the best accompanying instrument because it is most suitable for the human voice.

My point exactly..its chromatic structure is not commensurate with Hindustani music..Sarangiโค๏ธ..harmonium๐Ÿ˜ก

ms04 thumbnail
harmonium was never preferred initially in indian classical music, sarangi was considered better before independence.
But sarangi as an instument is difficult to tune and master. it takes years of sadhana to master that instrument, while harmonium was easy to learn, so it gained popularity even though it had serious issues with gamakas. Other factor was economic, sarangi was traditionally associated with courtesans, and sarangi vadaks used to get support from kings etc. So it was worthwhile to put all that effort to master it. But after independence kings faded away....courtesans were gone...so sarangi was slowly replaced with harmonium.
Harmonium actually used to be banned on All india radio shows until 1960's or so.
I personally dislike harmonium sound. More so if air supply in not done properly, its very difficult to get vibratos...on a fixed note instrument.
Barnali thumbnail

Originally posted by: adwarakanath

Iggjhacktly, Barnaliji. Even the Violin's better than the Harmonium.

We should look forward to seeing the violin as an instrument for accompaniment to the singer.Violin is easier to master(???) than sarangi,even though violin is considered to be the most difficult among western stringed instruments. you need years of learning,practice and control to be a concert calibre sarangi player. Actually, the number of sarangi players is dwindling. Only four or five are left. Even as recent as the fifties the hindusthani vocalists knew sarangi also. Sarangi is considered to be the closest to human voice, as we consider veena to be the closest to human voice. And next to sarangi closest to human voice is Violin.

Barnali thumbnail
Do yu know around 1940 use of Harmonium was banned at AIR. Maybe it was a bit harsh but then....

Barnali thumbnail

Originally posted by: qwertyasdfgh

Who is she..? is she so famous in the south??? Never heard her name...

๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜† Abhi.....๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†

many are using it but in different forms or adaptations. N. Ravikiran is a Karnatik musician who plays an ancient instrument that he redubbed the "Chitraveena". It is a typical veena (South Indian long-necked lute with a large gourd at each end - one resonating chamber and the other a "dummy" gourd for balance), but unlike a standard veena it has no frets and is played with a "slide" that for all intents and purposes is the same as that used by Western slide guitarists.

Pt Vishva Mohan Bhatt is a Hindustani (North Indian classical) player who plays a custom slide guitar that he calls the "Mohan veena" It looks just like a Western acoustic guitar, but he added jhala (sympathetic) strings that he tunes to the notes of the raag, and moves over the frets with an object.

Edited by Barnali - 18 years ago
Sima Samuel thumbnail

all this stuff is wayy too much for my understanding as I am not a professional as such when it comes to these things... but thank you for sharing appraji... ๐Ÿ˜›
Barnali thumbnail
Abhi the Chitraveena's technique is similar to the Vichitraveena of the north. Ravikuranji plays it in karnataki style.

It's bit difficult to play too due to it's length and getting perfection in making the linear sliding movement. It is this linear movement mastering tht makes the learning real challenge.

greatmaratha thumbnail

Originally posted by: mohinis

Appra and Abhi
   I know how much knowledge u and appra have? you are saying others nonsense, but in reality u are nonsense. The people who don;t know how to respect any body and take respect are real nonsense. Yu think that only you people have the right to say any thing about anybody, but even the other people gave u reply, u use bad words for them.We didn;t spoil threads, but u people have have spoiled this forum. I already shown the article that tere naam is raaga based , how u say that HR and AS are dumbo? I think u talk in the same way with ur elders also. So u people are nonsense, and i know how much knowledge u have. All your articles are copy paste from net, nothing else. What do u think of yourself , when u say others dumbs, u think u are genius, but u have no manners to talk to someone and his appraahora too, go and learn how to talk to someone, I think the people like u talk to ur sisters and mothers in the same way "bakwas ", as appraharora write about members. So nonsense are u people, you are all jealous of HR success, thats why u have nothing to discuss other than saying HR is dumb, copy cat and all bad language.If u think u are o genius in music , go and do something good in music industury, then we can say u are genius, sitting and writing about other people is very easy but if u have really good knowledge of music, why don;t u do in music, we will also see the articles of u and appra , that how much knowledge u have?

Personal attacks on members not allowed.   Please restrain yourself on the forum.