Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

DaddyMarvel thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 12 years ago

90s actresses that really had a future but blew it!

Monica Bedi: Before she got involved with the whole Abu Salem scandal, Monica Bedi was doing well at the Box office. Although her movies weren't doing so well, she got great recognition for her sweet, round face. Her soft, angelic looks made her stand out amongst the rest. Her cute, bubbly acting and a soft screen presence made her worth a while. However, she decided to opt out of movies and then we all know what happened.

Sheeba: Sheeba, the girl who was burnt to death by her viscous husband in Yeh Aag Kab Bujhegi. Sheeba was involved for posing nude on some film magazine cover. She was highly regarded for her acting back in the days and was a good competitor for Manisha and Raveena. However, destiny had its own games to play and she was subsequently sided.

Rukhsar: Rukhsar was a direct competitor to late Diya Bharti, Raveena, Manisha, and Kajol. She was in the league and made a fortune with her first ever movie. Such was her aura that every other director wanted to cast her. However, she quit movies, and returned back to screen after almost 15-16 years. By that time, people had forgotten her and she was no where in any director's good books...

Madhoo, Pratibha Sinha, and the Shirodkar sisters: Although Shirodkar Sr. was an 80's actress, she did well in the 90's too. However, her career declined around 94 or 95 and was subsequently forgotten. Regarding Madhoo, Pratibha Sinha, and Namrata; they all started as glamor dolls of the 90s. However, to their misfortune, Karishma Kapoor, Kajol, Juhi, Madhuri, Raveena, Manisha, Urmila, Shilpa (Shetty), Tabu, and Sonali were rocking the screen. These girls were pretty, but somehow failed to make an impression. Madhoo had a very grown-up woman like face (very typical south indian looks), and therefore, couldn't fare well. Pratibha, who becuz of her mother Mala Sinh, made her way into Bollywood, could only see a few years of glory and was forgotten later. Finally, Namrata, from whom ppl had much expectations decided to go for side roles (Pukaar) or either do movies in the South. She too was later forgotten.

Anjala Zaveri, Mayuri Kango, Simran, Suman Ranganathan, and Priya Gill: The actresses who started the year 1996-97 with a bang!!! They made a major impact on the screen with their looks, fresh acting, and a beautiful screen presence. However, their happiness lasted until the end of the decade and were totally lost after 1999... The rising sun of the millennium didn't bring any good news for them!

Nagma, Ayesha Jhulka and Mamta Kulkarni: PROBABLY THE ONLY SUPER FLOP ACTRESSES OF THE WHOLE BUNCH THAT STOOD OUT!!!! Ayesha Jhulka was a major actress of the early 90s. She acted with a lot of super flop heroes including Pritvi, Avinash Wadhwan, etc. The movies fared well only becuz of her. The girl with a broad smile and a raspy voice was lost after the mid to late 90s and was no where to be found.

Mamta was a great dancer, she had a beautiful face with a beautiful screen presence. However, she was much interested in skin show and boob flash, instead of focusing on her dialogue delivery and acting. Her dialog delivery lacked the fullness and steadiness of conversation. She would deliver dialogues in an amateur fashion. Compare her acting to Kajol in Karan Arjun, you'll notice the difference in dialog delivery.

Finally Nagma, a very promising actress with dreamy eyes and a pretty face. She would have gone against the odds to make it big. But she decided to stick to doing movies in the south. This really hindered her potentials in Bollywood. Nagma did not have any competitor, since her acting skills were great and her face was very striking. She could have easily given actresses like Karishma Kapoor (who then looked like a man) and Kajol (who looked like she never took shower) a run for their money!

Regarding rest of the actresses mentioned below, the lesser said the better.

WELL ON THE CONTRARY, none of 90's actress are surviving today, they are all bygones...karishma is doing a movie but i dont think anyone would be interested...
DaddyMarvel thumbnail

Originally posted by: EmmaFrost

she didn't do anything wrongπŸ˜† but she wasted her time on some stupid films...and she also left out a lot of YRF movies...that came as a boon for other actresses...Urmila would have been on top or somewhere near the top if she had done some yrf movies...anyways she is still a great actress...i dont think there is any hope for her comeback, as most of the actresses are RIDICULOUS today...and movies too...i just have a ball watching her past work in free time.

See, I think if that is the reason, I would give Juhi and Urmi the credit for not leaning on YRF's shoulders for their success. YRF was more likely Madhuri and Sri's playpen.

But yeah, I really appreciated her role as Chandni in Jaanam Samjha Karo and her role in Rangeela.

She was great.
DaddyMarvel thumbnail

Originally posted by: EmmaFrost

WELL ON THE CONTRARY, none of 90's actress are surviving today, they are all bygones...karishma is doing a movie but i dont think anyone would be interested...

I have to agree with you on that. πŸ‘

I am a die-hard Juhi fan, but I don't think I would go and watch her movie in the theater. Same applies to all the come-back actresses, including Madhuri. I don't have the patience to cherish them, I guess. πŸ˜†
DaddyMarvel thumbnail
Anyone remembers Somi Ali and Zeba Bakhtiyar? The two Pakistani damsels?

Originally posted by: desi_IFer1

I have to agree with you on that. πŸ‘

I am a die-hard Juhi fan, but I don't think I would go and watch her movie in the theater. Same applies to all the come-back actresses, including Madhuri. I don't have the patience to cherish them, I guess. πŸ˜†

i can...becoz i dont have any respect for current actresses...look at kareena, sonam, deepika, priyanka, 90's women are better than them in looks, talent, fashion sense...almost everything...ppl might think tht since we have grown up with 90's women we support them, but its a fact that they were more talented and versatile...

90s actresses are passe...they dunt fit into todays conventions(physically, and acting wise aswell) and i dunt think the audience is interested in watching them either...they have moved on to the younger lot and they find them way more appealing...
TheRager thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: smartie_pants

90s actresses are passe...they dunt fit into todays conventions(physically, and acting wise aswell) and i dunt think the audience is interested in watching them either...they have moved on to the younger lot and they find them way more appealing...

True...and applies to every generation of actresses. Even the actresses of 2000s like Rani, PZ, Ash are passe now.
Unfortunately the men from 1990s are still around acting with girls of their daughters age. This means a whole generation of actors from 2000s have failed badly. Edited by kshreya2002 - 12 years ago
DaddyMarvel thumbnail

Originally posted by: smartie_pants

But they don't make actresses like them anymore! 😊
TheRager thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
Of all the actresses kudos to Sri, Madhuri, Juhi for still managing to stick around in the public eye.