Views

Users

Frequent Posters

simplyskud thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Originally posted by: chatbuster

btw, do u have Rachmaninoff on ur list?

Ah !!! Rachmaninoff ... simply a brilliant pianist and composer. His second sonata and suite no. 2 stand out .....

Jeez ... now I gotta hear him again today .... !!!!

simplyskud thumbnail

Originally posted by: adwarakanath

There are stories of an Amir Khusrao contemporary (forgetting his name...it was from G) calming an enraged elephant by singing the Gaja-something raga. Absolutely mesmerising. 

Are you by chance referring to Gopal Nayak ??

πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰

chatbuster thumbnail

Let's just look at the 'Raga' as the most important facet of Indian Music.

Ascending and Descending octave of notes. 5,6 or 7. And a raga is defined as - That which colours the mind.

Take the Bhairavi for example. Play around with the notes and it expresses all the Nav Rasas brilliantly. The nav rasa concept is specific to Indian Music. Sex/Erotica/Romance, Pathos, Peace, (Devotion), Disgust, Anger, Bravery, Humour, Fear/Terror, Wonder, (Vatsalya - parental care and love).
Each song or composition in Bhairavi sounds different. S-J have made brilliant use of this raga. So has RD. There's a unique versatility to this raga. Listen to the masterpieces - Laga Chunari Mein Daag and Chingari Koi Bhadke.

And this is just one raga. There are thousands upon thousands of ragas, Hindustani and Carnatic put together.
The tala system of both the forms are so scientific, ke kya kehne. Just the tala played out on a percussion instrument can evoke different responses.

There are ragas for time of the day, season of the year.
Dr. Balamurali Krishna brought rain to a parched village after 7 years by singing the Meghranjani, the carnatic equivalent of the Megh Malhar. And it's no story. It's true. There are stories of an Amir Khusrao contemporary (forgetting his name...it was from G) calming an enraged elephant by singing the Gaja-something raga. Absolutely mesmerising.

Tansen could make things burn by singing the Raag Deepak. It may sound like a story, but it's true. Music after all is sound energy. The Raag is so potent that no one dares to sing it. And it will die with Ust. Vilayat Khan. He was the last person who knew the pure form of the Raag.

That's how potent and powerful our music is. I can go on and on and on, but this much is enough for today πŸ˜‰

no go on. wld love to know more when u have time. am a sucker for good stories (JK, but serious).

btw, wld love to have u guys suggest ur list on my thread. else its like scattered pearls of wisdom, kaahan kahaan se motiyon dhoondo ga from the bottom of all these threads?

chatbuster thumbnail
Originally posted by: simplyskud

Ah !!! Rachmaninoff ... simply a brilliant pianist and composer. His second sonata and suite no. 2 stand out .....

Jeez ... now I gotta hear him again today .... !!!!

πŸ˜†

tumko bhee meree bimari lagee hai lagtaπŸ˜†

simplyskud thumbnail

A few pieces. Mostly, my collection consists of - Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Vivaldi, Chopin.

[/QUOTE]

Abhi, you should add Brahms and Tchaikovsky to you collection ...

chatbuster thumbnail

Abhi, you should add Brahms and Tchaikovsky to you collection ...

with a dash of Debussy and Chopin?

Mozart and Vivaldi i dont like although some of the older fogeys do

simplyskud thumbnail
Originally posted by: chatbuster

tumko bhee meree bimari lagee hai lagtaπŸ˜†

Talk about a musical day ... I woke up to my dad playing the music of SD Burman (his bengali songs actually). In the afternoon I heard Salil Chaudhary (the "legends" collection of 4 cds .... mind you ... bengali music again) ... Pink Floyd anyway plays half of the time on this laptop and now am about to hear Rachmaninoff .....

πŸ˜‰  πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰

chatbuster thumbnail
hey guys, do contribute yr lists on my thread- seriously want to have some kind of a compendium going for some of us uncultured types πŸ˜‰
appa_d thumbnail
and please - Schubert.
Beethovan, Mozart are considered to be from Classical era whereas brahm, schubert, rachmaninoff came later in the 'romantic era'. Vivaldi, Bach were much before in the baroque era...(just like their architecture).
I like western classical. I think i prefer it more than Indian at times (i think to each his own). I mostly aquired it during my long stay in Europe (so that might be the reason). Their music is so widely used by indian musicians, that calls for its greatness.
Also, Irish music is something I love.
chatbuster thumbnail

Originally posted by: appa_d

and please - Schubert.
Beethovan, Mozart are considered to be from Classical era whereas brahm, schubert, rachmaninoff came later in the 'romantic era'. Vivaldi, Bach were much before in the baroque era...(just like their architecture).
I like western classical. I think i prefer it more than Indian at times (i think to each his own). I mostly aquired it during my long stay in Europe (so that might be the reason). Their music is so widely used by indian musicians, that calls for its greatness.
Also, Irish music is something I love.

chalo, skud u n me can now beat up on this AD-fella today. bahut chapar-chapar kar raha thha. but u two will have to provide the educational content to whip him, i'll put in the glossπŸ˜‰

btw, ab tum bhee sharmao maat. let the ladies n the gents in my thread know what songs u like the mostπŸ˜› N do stay away from the paan-banares wala type songs