Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

N Sinha thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Punjini ji

Have you heard songs of movies like Sitamgar/Hum Naujawan/Jawani/Red Rose of Panchamda, 2nd interlude of title song of Jawani has 4 minutes long interlude on saxaphone & flute, some of the songs of Samundar have BRILLIANT work on keyboards & western & Indian flute.
I doubt many have paid attention to this.
N Sinha thumbnail

Originally posted by: hi_there

Sinhaji, I think it is not an allergy that has caused negligence of instruments use in songs.........mere khayal se instruments ko samajhne ke liye zyada intellect chahiye.......lyrics, sur etc are easier to understand & grasp.....words especially communicate better with ppl than the instruments.....

sorry to use this word, but I'm quite broken hearted with the neglect instrumental portions get.

ab_srgmp thumbnail
Good point Niraj.

Until I read your posts, I never paid close to the instruments. More to the overall effect of the music. I guess more people can relate to the lyrics than to the instruments. But a lot of ARR's tunes, it's hard NOT to notice the instruments. He is a genius!Edited by ab_srgmp - 18 years ago
punjini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
While I have no training in classical music, all I can do is to appreciate without knowing the technicalities. 😭

I loved the tabla in "nazar laage raja torey bangley par" in the movie kala Pani. I think they brought in real maestros to play the instruments for film songs in those days!
luvmusic thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Sinha Saab
As usual brilliant post....instrumentation is not often given the status it deserves...its an unsung hero like arrangers in today's music world.I love the way SEL used violin in Armaan.its grt...looking fwd to much more discussion on this.

My personal favourites in instrumentation is Ilayaraja(he used guitar,violin and drums extensively) and KVMahadevan.
N Sinha thumbnail

Originally posted by: Tansensez

Nice Post Sinhasaab!! I have seen that a lot of students used to come and sing a song easily but when I asked them for the notes, they would struggle to find it on a keyboard.. One of the songs you mentioned in an earlier post "Tere Bin soona mora man ka.." is a great example of insturmental accompaniment embellishing the song. As a musician, I do enjoy all the instruments accompanying a song. Anup Jalota's bhajans, when he sings live, highlight the musicians' work be it Tabla or harmonium.

pranam aur abhivadan sweekar kare sir.

Morgoth thumbnail
I tend to like instrumentals more than lyrical songs. My favourite western instrumentals are Canon in D (Johann Pachelbel), Chariots of Fire (Vangelis), Fur Elise and Moonlight Sonata (Beethoven) and the Four Seasons (Vivaldi)

I like the Kal Hona Ho Instrumental - a lot of piano in there. I also liked the instrument use in Dil Chahta Hai (Jaane Kyun Log pyaar karte hai, Kaise hai ye rut)
N Sinha thumbnail

Originally posted by: luvmusic

Sinha Saab
As usual brilliant post....instrumentation is not often given the status it deserves...its an unsung hero like arrangers in today's music world.I love the way SEL used violin in Armaan.its grt...looking fwd to much more discussion on this.

My personal favourites in instrumentation is Ilayaraja(he used guitar,violin and drums extensively) and KVMahadevan.

sawere sawere kis mastero ka naam le liya luvmusic.

Illaiya saab was the first person who used to make instrumental parts of a song then fitted lyrics into them, he was criticised for demeaning lyrics but now we know the truth...

luvmusic thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: N Sinha

sawere sawere kis mastero ka naam le liya luvmusic.

Illaiya saab was the first person who used to make instrumental parts of a song then fitted lyrics into them, he was criticised for demeaning lyrics but now we know the truth...

:-) Illayaraja is a pioneer in giving the instruments their due....he has used them in so many ways, now when anyone tries to do anything around it looks like a copy...

N Sinha thumbnail
yes luvmusic and same goes true for Panchamda, it is said that he has done so much with the instruments/sound engg./tracking that nothing has been left for new composers.