Debate Mansion

what is the point of debates?

mkzara thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
this is a cute little topic. i see a lot of people on DM who say lets not talk about this topic anymore because u cant change someone's views and there's no point in debating if u dont have a chance. i dont feel that way. i think the point of debating is to let the other side know how u feel, u tell them what u stand for and listen to what they stand for. the point of a debate is ideally to convince someone but really to just open up their mind to things so everyone can see everyone else's opinion. i just believe debating is done to let other see and understand ur point of view even if they dont agree with it.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Majority thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Excellent mkzara. A debate on debates.

I agree that it is usually not possible to bring another round to one's views. However, there are many ways in which debating is fruitful:

1. It allows us to put forward our views with logic, reason, facts and yes, sometimes emotion too. It helps us in organising our own minds in setting out an argument.

2. It is not possible to debate a subject without some amount of reasearch and this improves our knowledge.

3. When reading/listening to a counter argument, our minds open up to accepting a completely different point of view without rancour.

4. If we have debated our point well, it makes the "opponent" accept the logic and reasoning even if he does not come round to our view.

5. And finally, we might even succeed in convincing the oher.
Angel39 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Nice topic!

Debate can open other people's minds in what they think and even change them for the better 😃 or even worse
Uk_Princez thumbnail
i think debates are important cuz dey show u wat other pple think 😊
dannyk thumbnail

Nice tpoic

in the earth two ppl are not the same one .. as they think differently than each other .. so debating is mode thru which we come to know views of each other .. what other ppl think on same topic .. debating is really good .. but in debating instead of reading other views just try to make u r views correct and fight with the other on the same then its totally bad ..

see we have to just put our views .. let other decide weather they agree on the same or not ..
rebelqueen thumbnail
hey mkzara lovely topic
i think the whole point of a debate or rather what a debate is supoosed 2 b is 2 convince or make others believe what u say is right-but as we all know it's not possible most of the times 2 convince others-so the only other reason 4 debate is 2 tell others r point of view and also kind-of inform them that what they think is not alwez right and not alwez ultimate...other's have a right 2 their choice and opinion....
Aparna_BD thumbnail
cool topic . For me Jatayu summed it up , i have nothing to add !! 😛
~LiL*PrInCeZ~ thumbnail
gud topic and gud points
wat can i say? u all stole my words 😆
Morgoth thumbnail
great points put forward by mkzara and Jayatu.

to add to that:

the idea of debating arises from discussion. without discussion/arguments there is no room for improvement. without legal/parliamentary debates, there would not have been acceptable laws.

they help you organise your thoughts, brainstorm ideas and come up with feasible solutions. IMO, debating is a pivotal step in decision making - especially when you view things in a broader spectrum.
sowmyaa thumbnail
Great topic mkzara..i totally agree with what you, jatayu and T. has to say...it is not about judging others but it is about debating topic in general. There are two different openion and it's great to debate about trying to justify your point of view and as jatayu said its enhancing knowledge doing research and also to organize your mind and your thoughts and lastly to always improve yourself.