Velayutham Movie Reviews:

Aahaana thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 12 years ago

Review: Velayudham is paisa vasool

Rediffs review:

Velayudham doesn't take itself seriously and doesn't expect you to either, says Pavithra Srinivasan

Ilaya Thalapathi Vijay has his comfort zone in the form of formula mass films that have a superhero at its epi-centre, destroying evil; saving his world; offering safety and security to those around him: all preferably done with panache and the prowess of a superman. 

This time too, he has attempted more of the same with Aascar Ravichandran's Velayudham, directed by M Raja. It is safe to say that the young commander has managed to hit the bull's eye.

Velayudham, remade from the Telugu hit Azad, with suitable modifications, has a story that's as old as the hills but there are a few elements that do add some flavour to the old wine in a new bottle.

There's Bharathi (Genelia [ Images ] D'Souza), a journalist committed to eradicating terrorism, and who loses two of her friends to it. She comes up with a novel idea that might quell the terror: create a fictional character called Velayudham, who supposedly foils all their plans and torches them alive, to boot.

The thing is, there really is a Velayudham (Vijay) a milkman who lives in the tiny village of Pavunoor, and adores his sister Kaveri (Saranya Mohan). Together, the two create havoc in the village, as Velayudham is the kind of filmi brother who will do anything for his darling sibling, and vice versa. There's also the incredibly bouncy Vaidehi (Hansika Motwani [ Images ]), who wears incredibly revealing pavadai-dhavani, and whose presence leaves you in no doubt as to what her purpose in the film is. Her father (M S Bhaskar) is as silly as they come.

When Velayudham arrives in Chennai to retrieve money from a chit fund for his sister's marriage, he gets entangled in an elaborate terrorist plot and the fun really does begin.

The first half moves at a spanking pace, thanks to Vijay's own incredible comic sense. After a long while, you see not the star Vijay, but a genuinely affectionate brother who wants to get his sister married well. His antics, together with those of Speedu (Santhanam) set the audiences rolling right away. It's this Vijay that you've missed, for so long.

Post the intermission, the speed drops considerably and you're treated to more formulaic, mind-numbing stunts that defy every law of physics. But what does it matter when Vijay looms large? He dances well, beats people up, clad in a stylish attire that's supposedly stolen from a Genghis Khan collection (and which is, so it's said, inspired from Assassin's Creed), and wields a samurai sword to the manner born. He's the ultimate super-hero, and makes no bones about it.

Saranya Mohan, as his sister has precious little to do except look adorable and hug him a lot, which she does dutifully. She gets almost as much screen-time as Genelia D'Souza, who, for once, has given up the giggling school-girl act and actually has something to do. Hansika, however, doesn't, and her tittering gets on your nerves after a while.

Santhanam delivers his usual, as is his wont. The rest of the cast: Suri, Shayaji Shinde, Manivannan, et al merely form part of the backdrop.

Of Vijay Antony's numbers, Rathathin Rathame (sung, presumably, to Vijay's sister, but in reality, to Vijay's fans) and Molaichu Moonu linger. V T Vijayan's editing could have been utilised better in the second half, while Priyan's cinematography fits the bill.

With Subha's dialogues adding some pep, director M Raja has set out to provide a masala entertainer that doesn't require you to tax your brain cells. Velayudham doesn't take itself seriously and doesn't expect you to either. In other words, it's paisa vasool.

Star: 2 1/2

http://www.rediff.com/movies/review/review-velayudham-is-paisa-vasool/20111026.htm

********************************************************************************************************

Review from Sify:

Velayudham

Movie
Velayudham
Director
M Raja
Producer
V Ravichandran
Music
Vijay Antony
Cast
Vijay, Hansika, Genelia, Santhanam

By Moviebuzz

Vijay is back in action with Velayudham an out and out mass entertainer with all Navarasas of commercial cinema mixed in the right proposition. Director M Raja has packaged it as a Thali meal catering to the taste of all sections of the audiences.

It is Vijay's Diwali treat to his fans. The film makes no bones, no pretences. It is an old-fashioned masala entertainer that plays to the galleries- a rocking introductory song, two glam girls, adrenal pumping action scenes, comedian Santhanam the current flavour of the season in some hilarious situations, sister sentiments and a message. But that's all part of the design.

The film opens in Chennai with a crusader television journalist Bharati (Genelia) trying to unravel corruption in high places. The state Home minister is hand in gloves with terrorists who are planning to create tension and planting bombs in Chennai. One day while escaping after a sting operation on city's nefarious activities she gets badly beaten and her two friends killed.

At the same time in an accident, the thugs who had brutally bashed her meets with an accident and gets killed. Bharati creates an imaginary character called Velayudham and writes a note that he wants to clean up the city of the bad guys!

Meanwhile there is a guy called Velayudham an ordinary milkman living in a small village who dotes on his little 'Thangachi' (Sarnya Mohan) and his life revolves around her, though his cousin Vaidehi (Hansika) is crazy about him. One day Velu comes to Chennai to withdraw the money he had deposited in a chit fund for his sister's wedding. In the city, he meets Bharati and due to circumstances is forced to become the fictional character Velayudham who takes on the scum's of the earth.

Then what is the surprise and what makes Velayudham special? Vijay flaunts his pumped-up physique for the first time as he takes off his shirt in the climax. Director M Raja has packaged the film smartly and Vijay appears to be having a rollicking good time with his scorching screen-presence and his infectious enthusiasm for dancing. He throws himself completely into the film's visceral action scenes, puts his casual, laidback style of dialogue delivery to good use in the film's romantic and comic scenes.

Hansika looks cute, appears confident, and is well cast as the spirited Vaidehi. Her comedy scenes with Vijay are a scream especially the scene when she comes in western clothes to impress her lover. Genelia does justice to her role and Santhanam's jokes are funny. Saranya Mohan is perfect in the sister role.

One major plus for the movie is Vijay Antony's songs which are melodious and mass. The Vijay introductory song Sonna Puriyadhu.., Chillaxxx.. and Molachu Moonu... are the pick of the lot. Raja has taken the basic thread of the film from Nagarjuna's Telugu film Azad directed by his friend the late Tirupathi Samy. The original itself was etched out of Amitabh Bachchan's Main Azaad Hoon which was inspired by Hollywood 1941 classic Meet John Doe.

On the downside, the film is far too long, especially the second half. Shorter in length, one song sacrificed, its action scenes trimmed, Velayudham would have been crisp. But still it is a perfect outing with family, if you are looking for time pass entertainment.

Verdict: Paisa Vasool

http://www.sify.com/movies/tamil/review.php?id=14982099&ctid=5&cid=2429

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

maris08 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Vijay always plays safe by essaying these masala movies.. Seems the same kinda of plot but presented as a new story..Anyway his movies are always filled with comedy, good dancing and no logic. A pure entertainer and a chillax to relax.. Am going to see the movie today evening.
sahi. thumbnail
I watch Velayudham yesterday 😎 Velayudham Trailer ah vida padam super ah irukku πŸ‘πŸΌ Velayudham story line is old but because of the making it make the film really interEsting πŸ‘ πŸ‘ Vijay has stole the show he was good in comedy, dance, fight and last but not least his performance in Velayudham is very good ⭐️ ⭐️ Vijay and Sarnya Mohan sister and brother sentiment is touching and awesome πŸ‘ ⭐️ Santhanam comedy is also one of the highlight of the movie 🀣 🀣 πŸ‘πŸΌ

The minus of Velayudham is... The film is bit draggy still the film doesn't make you annoyed or tired πŸ˜† πŸ˜† Hansika perform good competed to her previous film but she doesn't look like a village girl instead of Hansika they could have put some other heroines 😳 Hansika is used in the film only to show glamour 🀣 🀣 This is the first time in a Tamil film Genelia gives up her Bubbly roles 🀣 🀣 Genelia performance was good πŸ‘πŸΌ Compared to the heroines Saranya Mohan performance was excellent 😍 πŸ‘πŸΌ Saranya Mohan had more screen pace than Hansika   πŸ˜† Climax is awesome⭐️

My Verdict: Velayudham will entertain you and it is a ultimate treat for the people who love commercial films πŸ₯³ Definetly most of them will enjoy Velayudham πŸ‘πŸΌEdited by Ravi. - 12 years ago
supercool3 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
i didn't expect anything new from Vijay seeing the trailers πŸ˜†
but it's the first Diwali release I'm watching, so yes I do expect full on entertainment then 

p.s. does anyone understand the molachu moonu song? like i love it, but the tamil sounds very ancient to me .. so embarassing, I should ask my mom πŸ˜†
sahi. thumbnail
@Supercool: Molachu Moonu song puriyalaya 🀣 🀣 Velayudham is a complete entertainer I hope you will also like it πŸ˜‰ Velayudham trailer summer ah thaan irukku but the film is ver good ⭐️
supercool3 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: Ravi.

@Supercool: Molachu Moonu song puriyalaya 🀣 🀣 Velayudham is a complete entertainer I hope you will also like it πŸ˜‰ Velayudham trailer summer ah thaan irukku but the film is ver good ⭐️

i'm serious 🀣 like overall feel puriyuthu, but not the lyrics *hides face in shame' πŸ˜† 

I hope I enjoy the movie too ... 
Arizes. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Movie is very nice...its a good start for vijay to come out of the dark he was in acting in all bad stories, He has changed his accent and the comedy in the movie is really good. Santhanam Rocks!!!...

Vijay has done the role with Genelia in a very excellent manner and so was the directoral touch of Raja...

Vijay shd maintain this!!
sahi. thumbnail
Now Vijay is back to form πŸ₯³After giving so much of flop films now he has given us two good films this year... Kaavalan and Velayudham πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
maris08 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Aaaiiiyyaaaooo !! Apppaaa! yaaammma!
thaaanngalada saamii!!
Superoo soooper appu!! 
Chummma pichu tallitangyya yaa thallitaaga!

WOW! Vijay is back and how...
Velayudham is simply a pure masala entertainer; absolutely crazy pace and nowhere does it get boring..Forget the logic etc etc; simply go with the tide and you end with  a crackling diwali dhamaka..

Loved this movie very much. Saw it amidst lot of whistling,dancing and throwing of festoon by the fans; all first to back benchers inclusive. The theatre was filled with a festive atmosphere and the feel good factor of this movie indeed has a rub on effect. Enjoyed a Vijay movie after a long time..Sure to become a mega mega hit. No doubt..

On a side note will see 7am arivu on sun and then give my verdict of which is the best one this deepavali..Am sure by this time all of you know which one rocks..
..VeenaGcian.. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
rockinggg rockinggg rockinggg my thalapathy raockinggg

He is the king of Tamil cinemas da vera avan da...

Loved thalapathy's performance to core...

vela the block buster with kaavalan from my thalapathy in this year.

nanban, yohan next year

thalapathy rocks and rules kollywood
Edited by verode - 12 years ago