Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 11 years ago
Thanks.

You mention Daruka, and he was one of the survivors in both MB and SB.  After Arjun crowned Vajra the ruler of Mathura, did Arjun leave Daruka w/ Vajra, or did he take him to Hastinapur and leave him under Parikshit?  It would seem that Krishna's charioteer would be highly coveted by those who survived him, be it Yadava or Pandava.

Another question.  As one knows, Gandhari's curse, and that of the rishis (Kanva, Vishwamitra, Durvasa) were almost identical, except for the part about Samba giving birth to a mace.  In the MB, the former is described in Stri Parva and the latter in Mausala Parva, but does one know for a fact that Gandhari's curse came first, or was it that of the rishis, and Gandhari just compounded it?  (Sorta like Bhima's vow on Duryodhan, and later Markandeya's curse on Duryodhan)
Edited by .Vrish. - 11 years ago
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
No account of  what happened to Daruka. 

Logically thinking Gandhari's curse would have preceded the Rishi's curse. When did Gandhari curse Krishna? When after the War, he was about to depart to Dwaraka  and he approached Gandhari for her blessings. (Or was it another BRC invention?). 

Many years later, the Yadavas had departed from strict Vedic way of life and began indulging more and more in intoxicating pastimes. This is when Samba and his friends played the cheap joke on the rishis and they in turn cursed him.

So it was first Gandhari's curse and then the Rishis'
Vr15h thumbnail
Actually, the way it's written, the rishis curse could have happened anytime, including during the war, when Krishna was away w/ the Pandavas, Balarama was away on his pilgrimage, and so princes like Samba would have felt free to do anything.  By contrast, they may have been more restrained when Krishna and Balarama returned to Dwarka.

Gandhari did curse Krishna, although not the way BRC showed it.  In BRC, b/w the deaths of Karna & Duryodhan, they showed Krishna approaching Gandhari and telling her about Karna, and getting cursed.  But he didn't approach her for blessings either.  In Stri Parva, after the complete war, everybody including Duryodhan and Dhrishtadyumna et al are dead, Gandhari is done lamenting over the bodies of all her sons, she launches into a tirade about all the widows in the battlefield grieving over their husbands (including in her mention, obnoxiously, Pandava side widows).  She then confronts the Pandavas, who were totally shaken by her anger, and then she turned on Krishna and cursed him.  Krishna accepted her curse, but did reproach her for failing to rein in her sons, and for being the real cause of all this destruction, which left Gandhari speechless.
Edited by .Vrish. - 11 years ago
Vr15h thumbnail
I have a question - surprised that I overlooked it earlier - did Pradhyumna & Mayavati have any sons from their marriage?  Anirudha, as per SB, was born to Rukmavati.

I think it amazing that Kama & Rati wouldn't have had any sons of theirs in this avatar.  Every other divine pair had, such as Krishna & Rukmini, Rama & Sita, and so on.
varaali thumbnail

Originally posted by: .Vrish.

I have a question - surprised that I overlooked it earlier - did Pradhyumna & Mayavati have any sons from their marriage?  Anirudha, as per SB, was born to Rukmavati.

I think it amazing that Kama & Rati wouldn't have had any sons of theirs in this avatar.  Every other divine pair had, such as Krishna & Rukmini, Rama & Sita, and so on.

Even HAri Vamsa does'nt seem  to mention the names of Pradyumna's children thru Mayavati. 
Vr15h thumbnail
Another question - following the mini-argument I had on the DkDM D&D thread, is there any source that has it that either Pradhyumna or Anirudha survived the Yadava fratricide?  I always knew that both were killed in it - Pradhyumna was in fact the 3rd to be killed - following Kritavarma & Satyaki.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
I have a question. Actually, this is not really related to Krishna or Mahabharat actually, but I think the answer may be in MB more than any other purana.

I found out the other day that in regions where cousin marriages are still done, there are restrictions on them. As per our scriptures, cousins cannot marry if they are the children of two sisters or two brothers. A boy's mother and the girl's father either have to be siblings, or the boy's father and the girl's mother have to be siblings. However, I also learned that there is a restriction within that and that cousin marriages generally do not happen between a brother's son and a sister's daughter, and that it must be a brother's daughter and sister's son marrying each other if cousin marriage is done.

Are there any instances in our puranas of cousin marriages being done between a brother's son and sister's daughter? I know of a few marriages between a sister's son and brother's daughter, like Subhadra and Arjun's marriage, but I've never heard of the other way (a brother's son and sister's daughter).

I'm just interested to know if there are such instances if anyone knows...in South India, it's called eduru menarikam and generally people look down on those, though cousin marriages between a brother's daughter and sister's son are accepted.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: .Vrish.

Another question - following the mini-argument I had on the DkDM D&D thread, is there any source that has it that either Pradhyumna or Anirudha survived the Yadava fratricide?  I always knew that both were killed in it - Pradhyumna was in fact the 3rd to be killed - following Kritavarma & Satyaki.

I don't exactly know, but I think they too perished because they are said to be amsas of Lord Krishna, so once he is gone why would they remain?

Who's the one who survived and Arjuna installed on Dwaraka's throne? Was it Samba?
Vr15h thumbnail
No, Anirudha's son Vajra.

And no, they were not 'asmas' of Krishna.  Pradhyumna was Kama-dev reborn, and Rati, who had been waiting for him, took the human form of Mayavati and raised him herself.
varaali thumbnail
My replies in Blue

Originally posted by: JanakiRaghunath

I have a question. Actually, this is not really related to Krishna or Mahabharat actually, but I think the answer may be in MB more than any other purana.

I found out the other day that in regions where cousin marriages are still done, there are restrictions on them. As per our scriptures, cousins cannot marry if they are the children of two sisters or two brothers.

Children of two brothers cannot marry since they will belong to the same gotra and hence related to each other as brother and sister.  Childern of sisters cannot marry since, your mother's sister is like your own mother.

A boy's mother and the girl's father either have to be siblings, or the boy's father and the girl's mother have to be siblings. However, I also learned that there is a restriction within that and that cousin marriages generally do not happen between a brother's son and a sister's daughter, and that it must be a brother's daughter and sister's son marrying each other if cousin marriage is done.

Are there any instances in our puranas of cousin marriages being done between a brother's son and sister's daughter? I know of a few marriages between a sister's son and brother's daughter, like Subhadra and Arjun's marriage, but I've never heard of the other way (a brother's son and sister's daughter).

Bhadra and Krishna's marraige. Bhadra's mother, Shrutakirti, was Vasudeva's sister. So this is an instance of sister's daughter marrying her uncle's son

I'm just interested to know if there are such instances if anyone knows...in South India, it's called eduru menarikam and generally people look down on those, though cousin marriages between a brother's daughter and sister's son are accepted.

No, in fact it used to be quite popular till a few decades ago. In fact, if a opportunity was there, a mother would be quite keen that her daughter marries into her (the mother's) maternal home. 

Edited by varaali - 11 years ago