Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 12 years ago
Seeing today's brief discussion b/w Narad & Vishnu about Ghatotkacha, that brought to mind a new question.

There is that story about Balarama's daughter Vatsala, who Balarama had offered to Duryodhan's son Lakshman, but who herself wanted to marry Abhimanyu.  Ghatotkacha took her guise and in Lakshman's wedding, he squeezed Lakshman's hand so tight that he fainted, after which Ghatotkacha took his own form & fled, and Vatsala later got her father to accept her marriage to Abhimanyu.

My question - this is neither in Mahabharat nor in SB, so where is it from?  B'cos if Abhimanyu had a wife already, and that too the daughter of Balaram, how come the Mahabharat has no mention of her, and after his death, how come only Uttara continued the dynasty?  Which are the original works that first mention Balarama having any daughters, and even if he did, her marriage to Abhimanyu?

I personally don't believe that Balarama had any daughters, or even if he did, she married someone else, not Abhimanyu, nor Lakshman.  Probably someone within the Yadava clan.
Vr15h thumbnail
Just sticking to Mahabharata for the moment

Refer Mausala Parva, where it's described that Rukmini, Jambavati, Bhadra, Kalindhi & Mitravindya ascended a funeral pyre, while the others - Satyabhama, Lakshmanaa & Satya - retired to a place in the Himalayas called Kalpa.

In one Bengali traslation by Rajshekar Basu, it's described that the other 16,000 wives drowned themselves in the river Saraswati.  Also, nowhere in the Mahabharata is Krishna described as being monogamous.

In Vana Parva, Satyabhama's conversation w/ Draupadi is described.

In Udyog Parva, Rukmini's marriage to Krishna is briefly alluded to in the chapter where Rukmi attempts to join the Pandavas, and then the Kauravas.

Only thing - I used to think that Rukmi being rejected as an ally by first Arjun, and then Duryodhan, was there in the Mahabharata, but I can't find it anywhere in Udyog Parva.
Edited by .Vrish. - 12 years ago
Vr15h thumbnail

Originally posted by: namrata1111

frnds please give some information about the other scriptures which says krishan really married 16 thousand girls..

SB 10.59.33 ' There Lord Krsna saw sixteen thousand royal maidens, whom Bhauma had taken by force from various kings.
SB 10.59.34 ' The women became enchanted when they saw that most excellent of males enter. In their minds they each accepted Him, who had been brought there by destiny, as their chosen husband.
SB 10.59.35 ' With the thought "May providence grant that this man become my husband," each and every princess absorbed her heart in contemplation of Krsna.
Vr15h thumbnail
See SB 10.83: Draupadi Meets the Queens of Krsna - particularly 10:83:40, where Rohini, one of the 16,000 queens, describes to Draupadi how they married Krishna

Radha is not there in either Mahabharata nor in Shrimad Bhagvatam.  Her story is mentioned in Brahma Vairata Puranas.
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: namrata1111

We first get glimpses of her, in Gita Govinda of Jayadeva, in the Bhagvat of Bopadeva, his real brother and also in other literary description in the works like Brahma Vaivarta Purana, etc. 

In fact the first glimpse of Radha is in Skanda Purana itself-  a far older work compared to Gita Govinda. The Dhyana Sloka of Vaishnva Parva begins with a reference to Radha.

Kal El thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: .Vrish.

Seeing today's brief discussion b/w Narad & Vishnu about Ghatotkacha, that brought to mind a new question.

There is that story about Balarama's daughter Vatsala, who Balarama had offered to Duryodhan's son Lakshman, but who herself wanted to marry Abhimanyu.  Ghatotkacha took her guise and in Lakshman's wedding, he squeezed Lakshman's hand so tight that he fainted, after which Ghatotkacha took his own form & fled, and Vatsala later got her father to accept her marriage to Abhimanyu.

My question - this is neither in Mahabharat nor in SB, so where is it from?  B'cos if Abhimanyu had a wife already, and that too the daughter of Balaram, how come the Mahabharat has no mention of her, and after his death, how come only Uttara continued the dynasty?  Which are the original works that first mention Balarama having any daughters, and even if he did, her marriage to Abhimanyu?

I personally don't believe that Balarama had any daughters, or even if he did, she married someone else, not Abhimanyu, nor Lakshman.  Probably someone within the Yadava clan.

That story is found in various folk versions of the Mahabharata, existing primarily in oral form. It is a popular legend in South India (especially Andhra Pradesh) where there are many songs and stories about Abhimanyu's marriage to Balarama's daughter who is known as both Vatsala and Shashirekha
Vr15h thumbnail
One question that struck me was Krishna's relationship w/ Kritavarma.  As one may know, Kritavarma was 1 of the 3 conspirators to kill Satrajit, along w/ Akrura & Satadhandva, and later, in the Mahabharata, he was one of the 3 who massacred the Pandava army.

What strikes me is his becoming the FIL of Rukmini's daughter Charumati.  Are there any stories that describe how Charumati became Kritavarma's bahu, as opposed to, say, Satyaki's?
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Love marriage? ðŸ˜† Beti Charu ran away with Bali and Dad couldn't do anything😛 Edited by varaali - 12 years ago
Vr15h thumbnail
From today's episode, while I accept that it's fiction, one question did come up in my mind.  Did Rukmini have any premonition that Pradhyumna was going to be kidnapped?  SB states that he was kidnapped when he was less than 10 days old, but states nothing about whether it was predicted.  What does HV say?  Devi Bhagvatam covers it in book 4, ch 24

Also, Devi Bhagvatam describes in the next chapter that Krishna propriated Shankara for sons for his other wives as well, and was promised sons from all his other wives as well.
Vr15h thumbnail
Varaali

What does HV say about Pradhyumna's birth?  Did Krishna know b4 hand there that he'd be kidnapped?